Zero Punctuation: Super Mario Galaxy 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 16 NEXT

I think Yahtzee just pulled a Durden at the end.

Roflcopter419:
That was amusing, but it bugs me that everyone here seems to comment on how much they hate Mario just because he does.

I just assumed people did it because it was the cool thing to do nowadays.
Nintendo is good at two things, Making oodles of money and making games that are fun to play. Mario is timeless.

This is why I like Wednesdays.

Although I agree Mario Galaxy 2 wasn't particularly innovative, it was nice and polished and a good play (like all Mario games). Besides, my boyfriend bought it for me, so no money out of my pocket.

SomethingAmazing:
Must....resist...portal joke....

Gotcha covered.

haha! I'm going on a date thursday! Maybe I'll get some....Cake.

Judging from the last three messages, I'll take it that Yahtzee is a David Bowie fan.

Enlong:

AdamRBi:
I would love to see a Mario Platformer written by "Intelligent Systems," the company behind Paper Mario.

What about Super Paper Mario? IS wrote that one, and the gameplay is mainly platformer, with a few RPG elements.

Decent Point, though I was talking about the 3D Platformers as I'm sure you're aware. While I didn't like it as much as the first two, Super Paper Mario was a great game. It's more of a RPPG[1], it had more to the RPG element to it then standard Mario Platformers.

[1] Role Playing Platform Game

Not G. Ivingname:

Sir John The Net Knight:

Not G. Ivingname:

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Snip

So basically Mario Galaxy 2 main problem is that it is basically Mario Galaxy 1. Ok, if you where some how given the rights to make the next major Mario title, what would you do with the concept? Nintendo's only requirement for is that it is made and making it anything that wouldn't get an E rating since they have to hide there evil coperate ways to the masses somehow.

As regular viewers are aware, Yahtzee despises the concept of sequels so it's more than likely that if given control of the IP he would murder it and liberally apply fire and salt afterward.

I'm actually disappointed. I was hoping he'd review Singularity this week.

One, he has said that a good sequel can be done if it used as a jumping point for a new and interesting story (Half-Life 2) while a bad sequel just wallows in the original (basically every 3D sonic game of the last decade).

Two, since Singularity seams such an average FPS from what I seen and heard from every corner of the internet I doubt he would have anything interesting to say about it.

Seriously, can people stop posting to tell me every aspect of my opinion is wrong? I mean, it's a little annoying at first. But when 99 percent of quotes in your inbox can be boiled down to "You're doing it wrong!", then truly something has gone wrong.

I did laugh a lot. xD I hope you got some ice after slapping yourself so much.

Same fucking game we've played since 1986 but now with 2 more shades of GREEN!!! JEEZUS! I've been waiting for Yahtzee to rip this game a new one.

Time for awkward Portal jokes!

"...but there's no sense crying over every mistake:
you just keep on trying 'till you run out of... cake."

and

"...anyway, this... cake... is great,
it's so... delicious... and... moist?"

erm... forget that.

Nice video, very funny, but I'd be lying if I didn't stroke my own ego by saying I called this video. And it's not even because I'm clever like Yahtzee; I played Mario Galaxy, I played Mario Galaxy 2, and the first thing I noticed was "haven't I done this all before?".

Congratulations, Nintendo. Between the WiiBlank games, the New Super Mario Bros., and Mario Galaxy 2, you have found a way to make money from selling blatant copies that require less time to make then the original Super Mario Bros.

I used to admire you.

Liked the "cake" joke and the slap scene,freaking hilarious.

Good review.

Enlong:
Wait, so if variety is the spice of [games], and repetition is the starch, then that means, as per a previous metaphor, it's not good to have an excessive amount of variety, as that's like eating spoonfuls of the spice straight from the jar.

Didn't Yahtzee use this line (or a variation of it) in his Far Cry 2 review?

The text-adventure joke is brilliant, especially the description of Mario's jumping sound.

Towowo2:

Roflcopter419:
That was amusing, but it bugs me that everyone here seems to comment on how much they hate Mario just because he does.

I just assumed people did it because it was the cool thing to do nowadays.
Nintendo is good at two things, Making oodles of money and making games that are fun to play. Mario is timeless.

It seems like the cool thing to do to hate whatever Yahtzee hates around the Escapist. That really bugs me, especially against things like Mario.

lmao, epic. I loved the lil chocobo reference...and "cake" heh

Very true. Liked this a lot more than recent Yahtzee videos.

... but WHY, Yahtzee! Why did you have to get a David Bowie lyric wrong =[

I hope the "cake" falls into that portal "thing".

"Starship Narcissus". Nice observation. Must admit that I never took Mario to be an ego-maniac.

He sounded genuinely angry this time and he had every right to be, I played this game and found myself seriously getting upset with the retard friendly game play, I mean people tell me I shouldn't complain because even kids need to play games but COME ON PEOPLE!

I played Mario for the NES and Super Nintendo for hours on end as a child and I go back to them today and I can still say, they were challenging, well paced, and FUN.

I'm not lying when I say that at one point I got the cloud power up and laughed at the screen at how I didn't even need it, I proceeded to cartwheel jump and wall kick than spin move past chunks of the levels. This isn't skill, IT IS POOR LEVEL DESIGN. Dear lord I might have an stroke just thinking about it; at least than the game would be more along my skill level.

/end Yahtzee like rant.

Monicle smile!

J-Alfred:

Enlong:
Wait, so if variety is the spice of [games], and repetition is the starch, then that means, as per a previous metaphor, it's not good to have an excessive amount of variety, as that's like eating spoonfuls of the spice straight from the jar.

Didn't Yahtzee use this line (or a variation of it) in his Far Cry 2 review?

Actually it was the Little Big Planet review. He referred to usermade content as cinnamon; a light dusting of the stuff can make an already great game even better, but relying on it is like eating the stuff straight from the jar.

So when did the spice/starch thing, I decided to see what would happen when I mixed the metaphors.

Armanox15:
I have to say 2 things:
#1 - So... The "cake" is a lie. hmmmm
#2 - I really want some "cake" on my next birthday!

In this case 'cake' isn't a lie, it's a euphemism

I'll never understand his cynical hatred of sequels.

Ossian:
He sounded genuinely angry this time and he had every right to be, I played this game and found myself seriously getting upset with the retard friendly game play, I mean people tell me I shouldn't complain because even kids need to play games but COME ON PEOPLE!

I played Mario for the NES and Super Nintendo for hours on end as a child and I go back to them today and I can still say, they were challenging, well paced, and FUN.

I'm not lying when I say that at one point I got the cloud power up and laughed at the screen at how I didn't even need it, I proceeded to cartwheel jump and wall kick than spin move past chunks of the levels. This isn't skill, IT IS POOR LEVEL DESIGN. Dear lord I might have an stroke just thinking about it; at least than the game would be more along my skill level.

/end Yahtzee like rant.

I figured that cloud example was intentional. Y'know, for speed runners and the like.

In honesty, I do find SMG2 disappointing, but not because of a lack of challenge or gameplay issues. My first thought was that this just feels like an expansion pack (kinda funny seeing Yahtzee say the same thing), and I expect a little more innovation from Nintendo.

So, is the cake still a lie?

mmmmmm, "Cake" with the opposite sex. but wait! IDEA! Why not Skydive WHILE having "Cake" with the opposite sex? (or if you swing that way, have "Cake" with the same sex.) I mean, if astronauts can have cake while in space, why not skydivers?

The 'cake' is a li-*slaps self*
sorry...good work Yahtzee :P

It was all right. The only part that made me laugh was when he was smacking himself in the face. I wish we'd be able to see that...
I liked the "variety is the spice of life and status quo is the starch" bit at the end.

Yahtzee's reviews make the world just a bit more bearable.
Thanks to him I get to know that the games I grew tired of fifteen years ago remained just as annoying and unimaginative today, which a valuable service for a jaded bugger like myself.

I nearly died laughing from watching all the "sniffff" sections whenever he referenced sex. Why going "sniffff" is funny when you think about it from a sexual standpoint, I'll never know.

That being said, is there anyone in the universe who thought "Galaxy 2" was a good idea? Frankly, I wasn't even sold on "Galaxy 1" when it came out. (Maybe I grew out of my Nintendo phase and didn't want to deal with another Mario game despite liking and playing Sunshine a lot.) I played a demo of this at Gamestop one day and kept making fun of how it's the exact same game as "Galaxy 1" and kept waiting for the star guys to say "It's happening again!" Granted, Bowser is about 50 times huger than he was in Galaxy 1 but that's it. (I'm not really liked by the Gamestop guys after that, but I got them off my back by pre-ordering Cataclysm.)

So really Nintendo, yes we're all excited about Zelda Skyward Sword and Goldeneye and Kid Icarus and Metriod other M... But this is bad. Really bad.

Ya know, after all this time, I wonder how hard it is to get a job working at Nintendo... It isn't exactly like you need to innovate or come up with anything. Hell, I think I could butcher ideas together in the writing department then pass the cocaine bucket without being greedy.

Did anyone else pause it for the text adventure bit? That was hilarious!

I believe Yathzee has just created a new "cake" meme... and that after saying that the cake meme ruined portal for him...

I knew he'd bring up the fact the game comes with about 3 different manuals on how to play the game which personally got right on my tits as well. Also the fact that sometimes main characters will say 'oh look, you died quite a few times that level, maybe you should get a friend to help you out' or 'how about take a break' pissed me right off. It felt extremely patronising.

Yahtzee... they made ONE. FUCKING. SEQUEL. You act like this is Super Mario Galaxy 76 or something. Is this really all you had to carry the review?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here