Stolen Pixels #213: The Force Unloved

Pages 1 2 NEXT

It's hard to imagine Darth Vader ever actually being a father.

Read Full Article

Does this make Darth Sidious the creepy uncle figure?

Of course, it's always older than they think.

There you go.

haha yeh man gansta' style lightsaber stances yo! thats what all the other sith be doin'!

lmao, the leap of a bridge anaology...not so good on people with force powers XD

Oh! He turned the lightsaber upside-down. That's a kill stab.

Darth Vader's logic is priceless and cannot be argued with. I will never ever correct him simply because I use his dramatic "NOOOOOOOOO" images to dramatize a post or whatever.

3;@Darth Vader

Straying Bullet:
Darth Vader's logic is priceless and cannot be argued with. I will never ever correct him simply because I use his dramatic "NOOOOOOOOO!" images to dramatize a post or whatever.

3;@Darth Vader

Two things about that big NO!

My girlfriend and I laughed our asses off at that when we saw the movie.

More importantly, if I was Vader Jr. and Uncle Sidious had told me the story of the big NO, everytime I was asked to do something I didn't want to I'd mock him with a recreation.

Vader: Take out the trash.

Jr.: NOOOOOOOOOO

Vader: Stop that right now.

Darth Vader's act of adoption and tutoring of Bendak shows he's trying to fill his void inside his heart following the event of episode 3. Yet, his adopted heir still rebels against him seeing how he refuse to hold the lightsaber right.
One can only assume Vader allows him so because he refuse to tell him he's adopted.

I think he made him watch the Star Wars Christmas Special, by means of Force premonition, since it takes place after A New Hope. That would be more punishment than anyone should endure.

Moriarty70:

Straying Bullet:
Darth Vader's logic is priceless and cannot be argued with. I will never ever correct him simply because I use his dramatic "NOOOOOOOOO!" images to dramatize a post or whatever.

3;@Darth Vader

More importantly, if I was Vader Jr. and Uncle Sidious had told me the story of the big NO, everytime I was asked to do something I didn't want to I'd mock him with a recreation.

Until Vader force-chokes Jr, then its Star Wars parodying the simpsons.

cursedseishi:

Moriarty70:

Straying Bullet:

3;@Darth Vader

Until Vader force-chokes Jr, then its Star Wars parodying the simpsons.

Well, he'll force choke, Jr. will force push him away then run out of the house screaming "You're not my real father!" Then take off in a TIE for the weekend.

Right, the backwards-lightsaber-holding was just one of the things that bugged me about that game--it doesn't look as cool as the developers seem to think it does, and he would just go back to holding it normally while fighting anyway. And wouldn't you be in constant danger of slicing your own arm off?

That's funny.

Moriarty70:

..you're a genius.

I never had any problems imagining him as such.

After all, isn't one of the older Star Wars jokes by now: "Luke! I...am your father! Clean your room!" :p

Sith these days...

*Sigh*

Well, Vader (or Anakin's) other apprentice from that Clone Wars series (the one everyone gets to shits about) holds her lightsaber that way, so it means that either Anakin teaches that specific style to all his apprentices or they're all rebellious brats.

A Vader time-out is one second of telekinetic choking, isn't it?

Tolerant Fanboy:
A Vader time-out is one second of telekinetic choking, isn't it?

What's a Vader spanking, cutting off a hand with his lightsaber?

dreadedcandiru99:
Right, the backwards-lightsaber-holding was just one of the things that bugged me about that game--it doesn't look as cool as the developers seem to think it does, and he would just go back to holding it normally while fighting anyway. And wouldn't you be in constant danger of slicing your own arm off?

That backwards grip is a variation of the Form V:Shien style.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shien
Just so ya know.

dreadedcandiru99:

No more in danger than you are of cutting off your own leg if you hold it normally.

It's a combat style that's already in the expanded universe anyway - and boy do I feel nerdy for knowing that.

Woodsey:
No more in danger than you are of cutting off your own leg if you hold it normally.

I think "Not cutting off your own limbs" is the first thing they teach you in Lightsaber school. Come to think of it, its probably why their prosthetics are so advanced...

I like the style simply because it is a variation.

Last panel, didn't you mean "a dozen Jedi" or "Dozens of Jedi" rather than "Dozen Jedi"?

matrix3509:

dreadedcandiru99:

Just so ya know.

and it makes even less sense after reading this article.

If your form is supposed to be so great against blaster fire, why the hell do you start with the blade behind you? The fact that he graps the hilt so the blade faces "down" makes it even worse

At least he didn't chop-top the TIE and put a cheap spoiler on it.

You know what makes this comic even more funny than it already is? Reading Vader's lines in his voice. I didn't do a particulary good job, but someone else can probably manage better.

Fear my gansta saber :D

Hell with gangsta style, I would just throw the saber and have a roll and an espresso while chopping up gangstas using the force.

LewsTherin:
At least he didn't chop-top the TIE and put a cheap spoiler on it.

But it definitely needs chrome. Lots of chrome.

Food for thought: Jedi with ADD. Night folks!

Shamus Young:

It's hard to imagine Darth Vader ever actually being a father.

Read Full Article

I always did hate the way Starkiller held his Lightsaber. Thank you for having Vader scold him for it.

Moriarty:

If your form is supposed to be so great against blaster fire, why the hell do you start with the blade behind you? The fact that he grasps the hilt so the blade faces "down" makes it even worse

I'm not saying it makes sense, its just that its part of canon now. Ahsoka Tano (aka Anakin's apprentice in Clone Wars) also used the reverse grip.

As far as I can tell the grip is usually only used in the opening stance, while the form utilizes lots of quick switches between reverse ands standard grips.

What would Vader do with an undisciplined son?

It depends on whether it is during A New Hope, later or previous.

- New Hope: Vader punishes him by not allowing him the use of the Force to play out cool battles with his toy figures. And take his holocomics for one week.

- After New Hope: Vader kills him and tells mom "it's time to use the plug, again".

- Before New Hope: He gives him a bland speech along the lines of "You have to be good, son. You are making me start to faintly consider some kind of punishment, but you know that is a politician's measure and it's too bad for me. So just try to not slice the next maid lady with my lightsaber. Do you know how much those politicians charge everytime I have to hire a new one?". To which the kid says "Oh, I know the horror of what I've done. Huh, daddy?. I just foresaw our new maid and I just force chocked her in her sleep". "That's my boy!".

Moriarty:

matrix3509:

dreadedcandiru99:

Just so ya know.

If your form is supposed to be so great against blaster fire, why the hell do you start with the blade behind you? The fact that he graps the hilt so the blade faces "down" makes it even worse

My assumption would be that who ever conjured up the idea took it from the way a sai workes in a starting position, against the length of the forearm. From their you can quick switch to a forward position and in the default position you are on the defensive protecting the entire length of your arm. Considering this I think it would make some sense to hold a lightsaber down with the tip pointing towards your elbow when taking blaster fire, especially if you stand sideways you expose far less of your body than standing full front and holding the blade down requires you to only make up, down, side to side movements with your arm and you could theoretically protect most of your body. Whereas if you stood sideways with the blade pointing up you'd have to make pretty drastic movements to protect the lower half of your body. In the end I honestly don't know the answer but that is my best guess as to why.

Rednog:

Moriarty:

matrix3509:

dreadedcandiru99:

Just so ya know.

My assumption would be that who ever conjured up the idea took it from the way a sai workes in a starting position, against the length of the forearm. From their you can quick switch to a forward position and in the default position you are on the defensive protecting the entire length of your arm. Considering this I think it would make some sense to hold a lightsaber down with the tip pointing towards your elbow when taking blaster fire, especially if you stand sideways you expose far less of your body than standing full front and holding the blade down requires you to only make up, down, side to side movements with your arm and you could theoretically protect most of your body. Whereas if you stood sideways with the blade pointing up you'd have to make pretty drastic movements to protect the lower half of your body. In the end I honestly don't know the answer but that is my best guess as to why.

Two problems with the sai comparison:

1) A sai is much shorter than a standard lightsaber; a full-length sword blade makes this sort of grip much more unwieldly.

2) A sai does not have a blade, no sharp edges to press against your arm as you use it to brace the weapon. A lightsaber is definitely not something you want to bend back towards your own limbs.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here