Review: N3II Ninety-Nine Nights

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Review: N3II Ninety-Nine Nights

That's about ninety-eight nights too long for this one.

Read Full Article

Looks like I'll be giving this a miss...might rent if bored though

That just sounds like the first game with less health potions and easier combat.

Would you laugh at me if I told you I couldn't beat the forest level of Inphyy's campaign in Ninety Nine Nights?

Soooo, you wouldn't recommend it then?.

Wasn't all too interested in this game to begin with if I'm to be honest with you. I'm not really for these type of game and I played the demo of the first game and got pretty bored with it before it's conclusion. I mean if the demo bored you, that doesn't spell good for the rest of the game. The second game sounds worse and I imagine it will be at the bottom of a bargain bucket before long.

The game sounds like it's tried to be bad, went through the check list of making a bad game.

Bland uninteresting story: Check
Poorly written dialogue: Check
Poor voice acting: Check
Bad lip-sync: Check
Boring combat: Check
Bosses that are only difficult because they are cheap: Check

Heck the warning lights go off when you rushing to the ending, skipping to the checkpoint to get the game done with as fast as possible. At that point you've got to be thinking to your self "Why is it that I'm enduring this game... Why haven't I turned the power button off yet".

Thanks for the review.

Nice that you got given such a choice game for your first review eh Steve!

played Demo for the first one and honestly surprised it did well enough to merit a sequel!

Also how did this 'game' manage 2 stars surely this is a 1 star game

I expected as much. The first one was one of my first games for the 360, and the enemies were just...weak. It was fun a short while, and thank God the campaigns were short, I couldn't endure more than that. And then came the gynormous bonus boss fight that was impossible to fight. I am not surprised this one was just as bad.

My brother got the first game as a gift. He never touched it again after he found actual good hack and slash games. I tried playing it only to find out just how awful it was. Looks like this is going to be the same (minus us actually getting it).

My big question here is this: Why did they not rename this? Most people have forgotten about N3 as well as who developed it, so this was an opportunity to actually sell more before the reviews came in. People looking for a new IP would buy it, as would people who liked the cover, or other strange reasons some people buy games. You didn't have to name it as a sequel. Look, the people who buy sequels are more often than not the people who played the original. If the original was bad, most of those people won't buy the sequel, even if you improve it a lot (who here is going to give Two Worlds 2 a chance?). Even though a lot of games these days are sequels, that doesn't mean all of them have to be.

Ha! This is my second review. Blur was my first.

I was planning on going for 1 star on this one, because this game is unashamedly crappy. The Escapist's review scale suggests that a 2 star game is merely terrible but a 1 star game is terrible and also broken. Since the fun was only thing about N3II that was actually broken, I couldn't fairly give it 1 star.

Flat-mate bought the first one a couple of month ago. Played it for about 40 minutes before never touching it again. I didn't think the second one would be much better.

The only good thing about N3 is the hilarious Tak Fujii.

Steve Butts:
Snip

Why are you giving a "Do not buy this game ever" two stars?

Not G. Ivingname:

Steve Butts:
Snip

Probably cause it has graphics. ^.^

But besides that: i can't say that i did not expect that.

Not G. Ivingname:

Steve Butts:
Snip

One for the special effects, one for the busty elf maidens.

That'd be my guess.

So terrible but not broken = 2 stars. Alright.

I played the demo for the first game and forgot about it shortly thereafter. I'm surprised the first one pulled in enough sales for a sequel, honestly.

BlueInkAlchemist:

Not G. Ivingname:

Steve Butts:
Snip

One for the special effects, one for the busty elf maidens.

That'd be my guess.

Or rather one star per busty elf maiden. Special effects only get you so far, after all.
That being said, I'm not surprised. I played the first one for for a full ten minutes or so and got bored. However, do you think those select few who DID enjoy the first could get something out of this or is it below even that standard?

Love the hate LOL.

Good review non the less.

yay for a good review!

Not G. Ivingname:

Steve Butts:
Snip

Better yet why are they using a 5 star system? That always skews the data for sites like Metacritic, and when publishers are looking at how well a game did so they decide what kind of budget they'll give to a dev team for their next game.

Great review, game looks like it would become boring and redundant within 10 minutes.

Wow what a shame, I really enjoyed the first one the characters were different. The hulking idiot was actually just an animal, the extra female character was a little girl on a bombing broomstick and the two main characters were likable (mostly). Still might give it a look but this is mainly because the genre does not give me alot of options. I've played 6 of the Dynasty/Samurai Warriors Orochi games and know the basic story by heart now. I might give this Kingdoms Under Fire a look as I have heard good things.

xD kinda hilarios review specialy the elf hair color part

I've never listened too one of your reviews before, but your straight too the point and very easy to listen too. Good review and that last pun was a good'un!

I wasn't going to pick this up anyway but vindication feels good.

Steve Butts:
Ha! This is my second review. Blur was my first.

I was planning on going for 1 star on this one, because this game is unashamedly crappy. The Escapist's review scale suggests that a 2 star game is merely terrible but a 1 star game is terrible and also broken. Since the fun was only thing about N3II that was actually broken, I couldn't fairly give it 1 star.

I see what you mean, but I consider stars or grades an indication of what they should expect when approaching a game. Seeing as you specifically said that they should go out of their way to not play the game, I probably wouldn't even have given it one star. Then again, I'm not in a position to start arguing against The Escapist's policies, and certainly not a discussion about how game grades whould work, so, err, just forget I ever said anything.

HEY LOOK A DISTRACTION!! Aww, too bad, you missed it.

Anyway, as I was saying, I don't think I shall get this game. Seeing as I'd never even heard about it until now, I'd be inclined to say I probably wouldn't even had noticed it come out in Aussieland, whenever that may be.

Darrkon Fearlock:

Not G. Ivingname:

Steve Butts:
Snip

Better yet why are they using a 5 star system? That always skews the data for sites like Metacritic, and when publishers are looking at how well a game did so they decide what kind of budget they'll give to a dev team for their next game.

True, if you hate it, 1 star =
5 = Amazing, memorable game
4 = Very good game with 1 or 2 problems
3 = Average game, nothing perticually wrong but not exactly memorable
2 = Not very good, problems got in the way of the fun
1 = Terrible game, bogged down with problems, bad choices and bland stories and characters

But the general problem with a rating system is that people see them differently. Nintendo dont tend to give lower then 5 out of 10 but these are still considered bad, yet I would say 5/10 is average. I prefere to rate with a 1-7, its saves the 7 for a near/perfect game and the 1 for a game that has no rights to be.

PunkRex:

Darrkon Fearlock:

Not G. Ivingname:

Steve Butts:
Snip

1 = Terrible game, bogged down with problems, bad choices and bland stories and characters

But the general problem with a rating system is that people see them differently. Nintendo dont tend to give lower then 5 out of 10 but these are still considered bad, yet I would say 5/10 is average. I prefere to rate with a 1-7, its saves the 7 for a near/perfect game and the 1 for a game that has no rights to be.

Well when say a gamespot says a game is a middle of the road game they're talking about a 7 or a 7.5, but when these "out of 5" scores talk about a middle of the road they're talking about a 3, which evens out to a 6. So you can see how it would skew the data.

wait y it is 2 stars?

Huzah for the good review, but geez, i always thought a huge amount of busty elves was a positive thing. Boy have i made a fool of myself.

Darrkon Fearlock:

PunkRex:

Darrkon Fearlock:

Not G. Ivingname:

Steve Butts:
Snip

Well when say a gamespot says a game is a middle of the road game they're talking about a 7 or a 7.5, but when these "out of 5" scores talk about a middle of the road they're talking about a 3, which evens out to a 6. So you can see how it would skew the data.

I just veiw the middle as the middle, not three quarters in. But rating systems are abit basic to get a point across, as it is just a rough geustimate. Still the point in this reveiw was made, "The game is bad, let it drift off into the mist". Score systems are for people with no time to actually read the reveiw and although I feel for these poor working saps, most of these people are investers who dont actually care for the game or gameing as a whole and want to know whether or not to invest in one sentance. Advertisers are also to blame. Rank systems are not bad but tend to be used badly.

standokan:
Huzah for the good review, but geez, i always thought a huge amount of busty elves was a positive thing. Boy have i made a fool of myself.

I too feel foolish.

PunkRex:
snip

Especially critics who review in 4 stars. I'm looking at you Ebert.

So, you've basically been telling us that this game sucks as hard as anything can actually suck. And why did you give it 2 stars then?
I mean, that description sounds like a -1 star to me.

Darrkon Fearlock:

PunkRex:
snip

Especially critics who review in 4 stars. I'm looking at you Ebert.

Again I can interperate it =
4 = Brilliant
3 = Good
2 = Poor
1 = Bad
= But this is very basic and not really a disscussion. Unfortunatly this is also very mainstream, especially in newspapers were they have to sum up for us "ignorant masses". I dont tend to read reveiws in newspapers as they are very rushed.

Disscussion is fun, people should take their time and learn what the hell their talking about. Also they should remember to enjoy themselfs, still when its your job I understand that you have other requirements to fulfil.

Thyunda:
That just sounds like the first game with less health potions and easier combat.

Would you laugh at me if I told you I couldn't beat the forest level of Inphyy's campaign in Ninety Nine Nights?

was that the one with the giant Toad-man? If so, have no fear, i had a hard time with it to.

Speaking as a person who mainly rents games I've realized i don't need to pay much attention to reviews as of late. If I rent a game and like it, i'll buy it and if i don't i won't, and due to both my desire of playing a hack n' slash like this(i've really been wanting to play Drakengard recently, damn my broken PS2) and my affection for the first N3 in general, i'll give this one a try anyway. nice review overall though, hope to see more from you.

Thyunda:

Hell no. O_O That frog king guy was fucking impossible...and to add to the irony, once I'd FINALLY beaten the big boss at the end, MY GAME FUCKING FROZE. D:

Ninety-Nine Nights The First or whatever was the first game I ever got on the 360, and it was fun for about 5 minutes. But seriously. Hack, slash, jiggle, repeat gets old realllly fast.

Don't buy this if it's as bad as the first.

Thyunda:

No I would not laugh I spent about 4 hours trying to get past that one the first time and don't get me started on the secret level or the Ice Gate level for Myfee. Anyway it doesn't seem like much has changed between the games.

busty elf maidens-the only reason this game got any stars

OT: I never liked dynasty warriors that much so I'll pass

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook