Review: N3II Ninety-Nine Nights

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

somewhere I read compared this to the kingdom under fire games (on the x-box, not the horrible 360 one) and I was quite eager. Seeing this, I know now I was lied to.

I'll pass

Steve Butts, you are my new favorite writer on the Escapist.

is this really that much of a surprise? just look at the leaking vomit bucket of N3, a game completely unsuited to sequels.
The big question is why the hell they ever made this game in the first place seeing as everyone hated the original (I am yet to find a single positive review of it).

I know I need new glasses, but I'm pretty sure I'm not tripping; almost everything the reviewer claims is bad I see no real problem with. I honestly think the characters are more likable (Aspharr from the first game was a beast though), the voices are far better than in the first game (though there are times where the character still don't let each other finish talking like in the first), the combat is fast-paced and elegant (though lacking in individuality like in the first game), the stages - while long - are far more manageable (dead? you only have to go back to the previous checkpoint instead of restarting the entire fucking chapter), the music is nice (not great, but nice)... I could go on really.

honestly, I think this review is being too hard on the game. It's not fabulous, sure, but it's not anywhere near as bad as the review suggests.

Thyunda:
That just sounds like the first game with less health potions and easier combat.

Would you laugh at me if I told you I couldn't beat the forest level of Inphyy's campaign in Ninety Nine Nights?

No I wouldnt as it took me ages to do it.

Pity though, I quite enjoyed the first one. The combat was good, the maps were good and the characters were varied and interesting. Story was a bit meh though. Dont think Ill buy this one.

It looked to me like he was just pressing xxx yyy xxx and yy again, and he wasn't sucked! Tak Fujii lied to us!

Really sounds like the a review for the demo of the first game. The demo really nailed all those flaws you mention pretty damn nicly. But who really looked forward for this game anyway? The only good it brought was an hilarious press conferance at E3.

"Do not buy this game."
"Do not rent this game."
"Do not form your own opinion."

I got the first game for ten bucks. For ten bucks, it wasn't that bad. The Priest's campaign was actually a ton of fun and the ogre campaign was certainly something different. I'm not saying this sequel is a gem (I've never played it) but the first game was pretty widely panned and I played through the whole thing with little complaint and had a fine time.

It's hard to know how my opinion related to the price. I'd been interested in the game because it's creator made one of my favorite titles of all time, Phantom Dust. But I avoided the original N3 until I saw it in a bargain bin because of bad reviews. I don't know if I'd have thought there was enough game there for 50 dollars but I was never bored.

I'm not saying you should buy it, but I'm certainly not saying you should swat a copy somebody throws at you to the ground either. What I dislike is seeing people who might have enjoyed something, passing on it because someone else didn't enjoy it. Taste is subjective. If you're interested rent a copy or pick it up in the bargain bin one day and form your own point of view. Mr Butts is only one man with one opinion and a silly name, in the end.

The part where he just ran past the enemies was bloody hilarious.

Sounds pretty boring.

Also, is it just me, or does the hulking brute look like Kratos, but with a blue face?

I don't know much about the first Ninety-Nights other than it's one of four games that show up for ridiculously low prices at the Brazilian ebay, sometimes even dropping lower than a bootleg. (The other three are Mercenaries 2, Too Human and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, which at least has the excuse of coming with the 360 Arcade.) So I didn't have very high hopes for this and I guess my hopes were well tuned.

Ghengis John:
What I dislike is seeing people who might have enjoyed something, passing on it because someone else didn't enjoy it. Taste is subjective. If you're interested rent a copy or pick it up in the bargain bin one day and form your own point of view. Mr Butts is only one man with one opinion and a silly name, in the end.

Where does it say in any of our reviews that these must be your opinions too? The whole spirit of the review process is to share our subjective experience playing a game and to allow you to use that as a reference point for your own judgments. Playing a game represents a significant investment, not only in terms of the cost of buying or renting it, but the time it takes to explore its content, so the opinions of others who have played (and a knowledge of their tastes and biases) is a useful resource for most gamers, myself included.

I agree with you that gamers should be secure enough to enjoy liking games that other people hate, and to hate games that other people like.

As far as your comments about my name, that's just your opinion.

PunkRex:

Darrkon Fearlock:

PunkRex:
snip

Especially critics who review in 4 stars. I'm looking at you Ebert.

Again I can interperate it =
4 = Brilliant
3 = Good
2 = Poor
1 = Bad
= But this is very basic and not really a disscussion. Unfortunatly this is also very mainstream, especially in newspapers were they have to sum up for us "ignorant masses". I dont tend to read reveiws in newspapers as they are very rushed.

Disscussion is fun, people should take their time and learn what the hell their talking about. Also they should remember to enjoy themselfs, still when its your job I understand that you have other requirements to fulfil.

Yes, but I'm talking about when you take all the reviews and then average out the whole number.

You are my favorite reviewer.
Awesome, awesome review for a terrible, terrible sounding game.

Steve Butts:
Where does it say in any of our reviews that these must be your opinions too? The whole spirit of the review process is to share our subjective experience playing a game and to allow you to use that as a reference point for your own judgments. Playing a game represents a significant investment, not only in terms of the cost of buying or renting it, but the time it takes to explore its content, so the opinions of others who have played (and a knowledge of their tastes and biases) is a useful resource for most gamers, myself included.

I agree with you that gamers should be secure enough to enjoy liking games that other people hate, and to hate games that other people like.

I keep being surprised when people take reviews as if they're some holy decree that must be accepted as gospel despite how often people voice disagreements with valid counterpoints and so on. This is exactly what I was trying to point out amid all the flaming of the Metro 2033 review a few issues back. The post not long ago comparing reviews with friends' opinions/Twitter polling/etc. laid it all out pretty well in noting these are just opinions.

Yes, people are persuaded by opinions shared with them all the time. Yes, it can be disappointing to find out someone disagrees with you when you like something. Assuming people are incapable of forming their own opinions once they've read someone else's seems a bit insulting though, don't you think, Genghis? I like to have at least a little faith in folks' ability to read a review of a game/book/movie without being consumed by it.

Then there are fanboys and fangirls, but that's a whole other deal.

Delock:
My brother got the first game as a gift. He never touched it again after he found actual good hack and slash games. I tried playing it only to find out just how awful it was. Looks like this is going to be the same (minus us actually getting it).

My big question here is this: Why did they not rename this? Most people have forgotten about N3 as well as who developed it, so this was an opportunity to actually sell more before the reviews came in. People looking for a new IP would buy it, as would people who liked the cover, or other strange reasons some people buy games. You didn't have to name it as a sequel. Look, the people who buy sequels are more often than not the people who played the original. If the original was bad, most of those people won't buy the sequel, even if you improve it a lot (who here is going to give Two Worlds 2 a chance?). Even though a lot of games these days are sequels, that doesn't mean all of them have to be.

Ugh...thanks for reminding me about Two Worlds (shudders) lol

Not G. Ivingname:

Steve Butts:
Snip

Why are you giving a "Do not buy this game ever" two stars?

Because the stars are indicative of having these qualities:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/7149-What-Our-Review-Scores-Mean

As the game is functional he gave it 2 stars.

Anyways, I agree with Steve on this one. I'll admit I only played the demo, but I got bored with THAT and it really wasn't all that long.

at least the graphics look ok, but i'm still passing on this one

I've always hated Dynasty Warriors.

My favorite game of this style is definitely Devil Kings. The priming system helps add some strategy and every character feels really different. There's a play style for everyone, the graphics don't suck and the cutscenes are hilarious. Not to mention the horrible mistranslation adds more humor.

Playing as a guy called Devil King and blowing enemies away with a sword/shotgun combo, following up with a sweep of your mighty cape... THAT was fun. Plus on the Hard Mode even the weakest enemy can take down your health fast if you don't stay on your toes.

Point is, Devil Kings might be stripped down and mistranslated from the original japanese Sengoku Basara, but it's STILL my favorite game in the "1 vs 1000 hack and slasher" genre. Oh, and let's hear it for Azure Dragon, also known as the Sengoku-era Wolverine.

The snarky comment "that's about ninety-eight days too long for this one" literally made me facepalm. Because of that I went into the review thinking 'hur-hur this is going to be terrible' but it turns out it was very well written

Darrkon Fearlock:

PunkRex:

Darrkon Fearlock:

PunkRex:
snip

Especially critics who review in 4 stars. I'm looking at you Ebert.

Again I can interperate it =
4 = Brilliant
3 = Good
2 = Poor
1 = Bad
= But this is very basic and not really a disscussion. Unfortunatly this is also very mainstream, especially in newspapers were they have to sum up for us "ignorant masses". I dont tend to read reveiws in newspapers as they are very rushed.

Disscussion is fun, people should take their time and learn what the hell their talking about. Also they should remember to enjoy themselfs, still when its your job I understand that you have other requirements to fulfil.

Yes, but I'm talking about when you take all the reviews and then average out the whole number.

Awww, yeah thats just dumb. Thats so generalised. I dont know of 1 film, game, book, type of cake that appeals to EVERYBODY.

i'm obviously in the minority here but I'll still probably get the game. Why? Because I'm a sucker for bad games and I love hack-n-slashers.

Why did this get two stars? Given your recommendation in the text and video, it should be getting zero or one star at most. Afraid of disagreeing with metacritic?

"Do not buy... do not rent." lol... love it.

Ooops...

Not G. Ivingname:

Steve Butts:
Snip

Why are you giving a "Do not buy this game ever" two stars?

Two stars. Die-hard fans of the genre will find something to like, but anyone else will be hard-pressed to enjoy games of this quality.

One star. So broken as to be unplayable. Not even worth picking up in the bargain bin.

The game is playable, so he had to give it a 2.

[source:] http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/7149-What-Our-Review-Scores-Mean

Gaderael:
Sounds pretty boring.

Also, is it just me, or does the hulking brute look like Kratos, but with a blue face?

Everything about this game looks like GOW... I thought it actually was GOW when the review started thinking an add was running... the opening scene has this guy cutting down everything in his path with his extending, bladed chain weapon thingys... so God of War.

Ghengis John:

I'm not saying you should buy it, but I'm certainly not saying you should swat a copy somebody throws at you to the ground either. What I dislike is seeing people who might have enjoyed something, passing on it because someone else didn't enjoy it. Taste is subjective. If you're interested rent a copy or pick it up in the bargain bin one day and form your own point of view. Mr Butts is only one man with one opinion and a silly name, in the end.

This is a review dude, that is what reviewers do, they play a game and develop an opinion that they then share to give people insight on something they may be considering buying.

Mr. Butts did nothing out of the ordinary here. He crossed no lines as a reviewer.

Based on your post it seem like you just dislikes all reviews in general, and if that is the case there is no need to single out Mr. Butts.

If you don't like people who review games don't read/watch game reviews.

OT: Just watching the gameplay I can tell I would get so annoyed playing this game. Thanks for the heads up. I'll pass.

wow no one million troops joke

Shjade:
Assuming people are incapable of forming their own opinions once they've read someone else's seems a bit insulting though, don't you think, Genghis? I like to have at least a little faith in folks' ability to read a review of a game/book/movie without being consumed by it.

It's not my intent to flame or insult anybody. I don't think it's an insult to their intelligence either. It's just human nature to do so. When you encourage some one to go so out of their way as to treat a free copy of a game like refuse you don't leave a lot of room for debate and people are inclined to take the simplest path possible. Not to single anyone out but when I see posts like this one:

Torque669:
Pity though, I quite enjoyed the first one. The combat was good, the maps were good and the characters were varied and interesting. Story was a bit meh though. Dont think Ill buy this one.

I think it does happen sometimes.

Nautical Honors Society:
Based on your post it seem like you just dislikes all reviews in general, and if that is the case there is no need to single out Mr. Butts.

Actually I realized on my own it wasn't fair to single out Mr. Butts. That's what I came here to talk about. I guess I don't enjoy the current trend in editorial to be as snarky as possible. Everyone from Oberman and Beck to the angry videogame nerd seems to have taken it upon themselves to be as insulting as possible to anything they disfavor. Suddenly everyone is an old-school fashionista. But I guess that's what people want these days. Some people can make a whole career on it. But that isn't Butt's fault. If he wrote a more constrained review he'd probably generate less traffic. And maybe he just legitimately thought it was funny. Whatever. I made a comment about his name? So who's perfect.

Steve Butts:

I don't expect your opinions to be mine. I don't even have an opinion on the game. The "do not buy this game, do not rent this game" remark just struck me as an insult to reason. But you shouldn't have to watch over everything you say like a politician. And it's not fair of me to place such a burden on you. I don't have your job and I don't know what you have to go through in a day. I'm sure it's very hard and no easier then to be fired on by a random person. And by any metric it's fun to hate things. That said, encouraging people to ignore a review and form their own opinion seems like a direct affront to your livelihood, on a site dedicated to editorial no less. So you have my sincerest apologies for that. I feel like a heel for that.

As far as your comments about my name, that's just your opinion.

Thankyou. As for my comments on your name it wasn't meant to be a serious insult. I don't know how you actually take such things though. So my apologies once again. I hope we can put it behind us. Take care and I'll hopefully take your next review in with a more open mind.

Of all the Xbox 360 games I've bought Ninety Nine Nights was the one where I most felt like I'd been ripped off. Even if the sequel was good I wouldn't give it a chance on the grounds that the first one was so god damned awful.

So it's a true sequel to the original in almost all facets? Why is lightning striking twice so much more common in bad games?

Raging through Inphy's campaign in the original only to lose to the ogre king 40x just because he was a bit more vulnerable than the other 2 characters I breezed through with was annoying, yet didn't make victory any sweeter when I finally dropped the baddie... Plus the story was buggy, whonky, and not all the event triggers worked after multiple deaths.

His droning voice kinda makes me want to ignore his opinion. I did not really like the first...but after trudging through it, it kinda grew on me. I probably will get 2 anyways, if only to finish the story (and Ive not seen hide nor tail of any characters from the first)

the_maestro_sartori:
somewhere I read compared this to the kingdom under fire games (on the x-box, not the horrible 360 one) and I was quite eager. Seeing this, I know now I was lied to.

I'll pass

Well, the first N3 used character models from KuF. (And you only think CoD was bad cause it played different, admit it)

Next time, try writing a review without using the words 'I' or 'me'. This is supposed to be a professional examination of the game, with maybe a few personal experiences thrown in for framing, not a highly subjective opinion-based piece.

You're a good reviewer, just remember that not everyone is like you.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here