Preview: Civilization V

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Preview: Civilization V

Forty-five minutes is not enough time to play Civilization V. But Russ Pitts tried anyway. For you.

Read Full Article

ahh, when you mentioned civ II good memories came back... that was my favorite civ....

I'm very excited for this. Though the not being able to stack units at all will take a lot of getting used to.

Alot of the stuff with combat you cite as changes were in Civ4

Great read, Russ.
Civ is one of my favourite franchises, strategy or otherwise, and I'm pretty excited to see how this new addition to the Civ family will play out! Your article/preview has both laid fear to rest and got me wishing for a new gaming PC to run it! Even though it was only 45 minutes of game time, I'm pretty darn jealous.

Really cant wait to see and play this myself...although so glad they fixed the stacking thing in a way.

Must come faster!

I'm going to love this when it comes out :).

Gandhi is already preparing his stormtroopers to unleash wave of terror upon the owrld.

Definitely getting this the first chance I get. So much for my healthy sleep schedule.

Why don't I have a gaming PC? Why?
This is one of the great games I'm missing out on.

Nice article.

God, im looking forward to it, ive spent silly amounts of time on all the civ games, And now there wil be some new goodness.

I... I just can't wait. And I'll be in luck because it comes out right when University starts up again, so I'll have plenty of projects to ignore!

Yet another game to add to my 'To Buy' list. I'm even more psyched after reading that article.

One of few games this season im really waiting for. I grew up along with Civ series and im eager to see what they managed to do with the newest rendition. From what you say it seems they changed quite a bit, but in not-that-bad way. At least they didn't streamline it to be -click here to win- game.

Civ 3 was and still is one of my favorite games. I played a bit of Civ 4 and Civ Revolution and felt that they lacked a certain something from Civ 3. Hopefully this will bring back that X factor which I seem to not have found in the others.

Ahhh, damnit. I'm going back to uni next week, and I intend on actually passing my course. I think I'm going to have to give Civ 5 a miss.

Sadface.

I only got into Civ when #4 came out, but I'm as excited for this game as I was for MW2.

a bit sad that religion isnt in, but wow...

this is gonna be exceptional! seriously cant wait for this!

For the record, if you knew what you were doing, civ IV was beatable in 2 hours.

And you wondered why PR was never added to Civilization, or H&S, or HR. Strung to the gates in front of the tanks, they'd be. ;)

So looking forward to this. I've had it pre-ordered on Steam for months.

You know, I'd love it if it were playable on my netbook. Can you imagine the procrastination power of a ~six hour battery life netbook and Civ?

I wonder if Ghandi will ask me to trade my uranium for his pork again.

And I wonder if I'll make the same mistake and accept.

Hmmm....

Hopefully the Civ's act a bit more in line with what they are. Its no fun getting steamrolled by Ghandi's massive tank army...

The combat sounds interesting. Can't wait to try it out.

I'm so excited for this game.

It sounds like the combat is much more strategic. I always hated having to attack the computer cities for 5 turns just to clear out their 20 musketmen when I'm rolling tanks.

Thanks for the hands on info.

Oh God, I need this game so bad!!!
It's the only game I think I've ever actually wanted ever.
Civ IV with Fall from Heaven 2 or Rise of Mankind Mods is GODLY!
In fact, I think I'm just as excited for the Mods as I am for the game itself :)

Civ have always been one of the best game series and Civ V seem to be good. I am excited about this game.

These changes seem pretty massive! I'm looking forward to see how they all come together :D

So that's Starcraft 2 in July and Civilization V in September. Two massive PC games in three months. Looks like this picture might need some updating.

But seriously, I would question if this will kill off Civ IV, especially considering the vast changes to the combat system (specifically the one unit per space rule, and corrisponding ranged attacks). With previous games, it was pretty much a case of piling in the units and hoping the Random Number God doesn't decide that their spearmen should blow up your tanks. Now it looks like the battles will be closer to Panzier Tactics (or Advance Wars) and the like.

I NEED this game. NEED, I say!

Delusibeta:
So that's Starcraft 2 in July and Civilization V in September. Two massive PC games in three months. Looks like this picture might need some updating.

Indeedie, I've been thinking that for awhile now.

But seriously, I would question if this will kill off Civ IV, especially considering the vast changes to the combat system (specifically the one unit per space rule, and corrisponding ranged attacks). With previous games, it was pretty much a case of piling in the units and hoping the Random Number God doesn't decide that their spearmen should blow up your tanks. Now it looks like the battles will be closer to Panzier Tactics (or Advance Wars) and the like.

I think I see what you mean. I'm not sure about the average Civ player, but I'm personally looking forward to it, especially if the revolution/evolution of the mechanics of it are as good as they sound.

HTID Raver:
a bit sad that religion isnt in, but wow...

this is gonna be exceptional! seriously cant wait for this!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/redacted

Do not fret, for religion in Civ5 has been revised, not removed.

OT: Nice preview, I can't wait to get my hands on this baby.

Absoultly love the civ series. Civ IV took up so much of my time, hours felt like minutes when i was playing.

I like the one unit per tile rule, no more stacks of 20+ units will and more tatical wars is a massive step in the right direction for the series.

I like the non-stack idea of the new combat system, its should be about quality and strategy, not about how many cavalry can you build and hurl at the enemy.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here