Critical Miss: #22

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

The candle that burns twice as bright only burns half as long.

Read Full Article

Umm... I'm not sure I get it.

Could someone explain this comic to me (beyond explaining what games are being referenced).

EDIT: Also, I see a typo in the first frame! I"ve instead I've

Nimzar:

Could someone explain this comic to me (beyond explaining what games are being referenced).

Teddy is confuzled. =/

Won't lie, I'm incredibly confused

Phew, I thought I was the only one who was a bit stumped and didnt get the joke. Obviously not.

His spirit is represented in a duck.

I liked the Pulp reference. Didn't really understand the comic though...

It's a turn on the quote from the baddie's final monologue in Blade Runner:

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die."

I think I feel old.

Duffy13:
It's a turn on the quote from the baddie's final monologue in Blade Runner.

I think I feel old.

You're not the only one. I haven't even seen that movie and I recognize the joke and the video game reference =-(

Sinclose:

Duffy13:

I think I feel old.

You're not the only one. I haven't even seen that movie and I recognize the joke and the video game reference =-(

Which game? I'm as confused as the rest of the comments...

Tharwen:

Sinclose:

Duffy13:

I think I feel old.

Which game? I'm as confused as the rest of the comments...

To anyone else confused:
The quotes structure is from Blade Runner as I mentioned above, the game references are Star Craft and Quake 3 and the end parts are more obviously a Duck Hunt joke.

I got the duck hunt joke but i'm too young for to understand the other jokes.

I am confused.

Not at the comic. I'm confused that so many people missed the Blade Runner reference.

Blade Runner isn't that old, is it?

EDIT: I count 8 comments so far that didn't get the reference.

Now I'm sad. I'll probably cuddle up in the sofa with my Blade Runner Final Cut Edition on Blu-Ray later to forget about the sacrilege that has transpired here today.

I am sorely disappointed in the number of people who've not seen Blade Runner. Sorely. Disappointed.

I've seen it the movie once. I enjoyed it. But I don't remember everything about the thing. Forgive me, my memory isn't infinite.

No i have not seen the movie. XD

Nimzar:
I've seen it the movie once. I enjoyed it. But I don't remember everything about the thing. Forgive me, that my memory isn't infinite.

"Tears in rain" is one of the greatest moments in cinema history.

Forgetting that scene is like forgetting "I am your father" from an Empire Strikes Back.

I...I don't get it.

I've seen blade runner a few times, and read Do Androids Dream..., but I missed that reference. I assume this comic is supposed to follow from the last one.

Oh well, the art is pretty.

How can people not know this classic Blade Runner quote? Terrible.

Here's the video for those who are too lazy to find it:

Also Duck Hunt works surprisingly well in this situation.

Hubilub:

Nimzar:
I've seen it the movie once. I enjoyed it. But I don't remember everything about the thing. Forgive me, that my memory isn't infinite.

"Tears in rain" is one of the greatest moments in cinema history.

Forgetting that scene is like forgetting "I am your father" from an Empire Strikes Back.

Here is the thing... if I had only seen Empire Strikes Back once, and if "I am your father" hadn't been meme'd to death, I'm not sure I'd remember that scene perfectly either. Or be able to place it as the referent to a web comic.

Susan Arendt:
I am sorely disappointed in the number of people who've not seen Blade Runner. Sorely. Disappointed.

So am I. Jesus, what are they teaching kids in schools these days? Math?

BLASPHEMY!

Nimzar:
I've seen it the movie once. I enjoyed it. But I don't remember everything about the thing. Forgive me, my memory isn't infinite.

Same here. Seen the movie, enjoyed it while I watched it, then forgot most of the little details. The reference completely eluded me.

Ok... I got every single reference made in the comic... yet I still don't get the punchline. (Although putting StarCraft into the Blade Runner quote was quite funny) Duck Hunt? Why? Ok yeah the duck is like the dove from the original scene, but just referencing a video game doesn't make it funny...

Again though, StarCraft + Blade Runner... nice.

Susan Arendt:

To be fair, it's not as if it's the most well known of cult classic films. I only heard about it myself earlier this year when me and my dad were talking about Philip K. Dick's work and he mentioned this film being an adaptation of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and watched it a short while afterwards. Chances are people would have as much chance understanding this quote out of the blue as they would if I just decided to say "Malcovich. Malcovich Malcovich Malcovich." all of a sudden without any hints towards where it came from.

Anyway, great comic. Loved the Pulp lyrics right at the end as well as the Duckhunt joke.

Im confused, heh, but loved the Starcraft reference none the less.

Plus, the end comment at the bottom really made me chuckle.

...We will sleep with you too ^.~

That dog ruined the moment, Darned, someone should have shot the duck.

Zombie_Fish:

Susan Arendt:

To be fair, it's not as if it's the most well known of cult classic films. I only heard about it myself earlier this year when me and my dad were talking about Philip K. Dick's work and he mentioned this film being an adaptation of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and watched it a short while afterwards. Chances are people would have as much chance understanding this quote out of the blue as they would if I just decided to say "Malcovich. Malcovich Malcovich Malcovich." all of a sudden without any hints towards where it came from.

Anyway, great comic. Loved the Pulp lyrics right at the end as well as the Duckhunt joke.

Um....yeah, it's pretty well known and one of the most influential sci fi movies ever made (visually speaking). And Being John Malkovitch.

Hubilub:

Now I'm sad. I'll probably cuddle up in the sofa with my Blade Runner Final Cut Edition on Blu-Ray later to forget about the sacrilege that has transpired here today.

Yeah, I think I'll do exactly the same. Seeing the aforementioned scene in crisp crisp HD might make this comments thread somehow more bearable.

Good comic though ;)

Subtle, but funny. Shame so few people got it.

OMG, this is full of kids!. And to think that I saw Blade Runner when it actually opened and played Duck Hunt when it was released.. I'd better not count how many years is that :P

paketep:
OMG, this is full of kids!. And to think that I saw Blade Runner when it actually opened and played Duck Hunt when it was released.. I'd better not count how many years is that :P

Judging from the comments, you might be a grandpa.

Demented Teddy:

Nimzar:

Teddy is confuzled. =/

You're not alone. I could tell they were referencing Blade Runner and Duck Hunt, but I'm still scratching my head.

Wait, people haven't seen Blade Runner?

HERESY.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook