Zero Punctuation: Singularity

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

i used to work at flambards too. i feel famous now ive seen this! and also its a fox not a bear!

Allan Foe:
"Dear Yanks, please stop being such massive pricks.
Now, we know that you're all xenophobic lunatics who want nothing more than to kill some 'Ruskies', but you've already annihilated the virtual equivalent of the whole population of all CIS countries several times over. Haven't you had enough yet?
Also, note that we, the guys who actually lost the Cold War, haven't made a single game where you'd kill Americans. Please think about that for a second.

Love, Russia."

Lost the cold war? Didn't you manage to launch someone into space before we did? There's also games like the Civilization games where you can play as any nation you want and lay waste to the other ones. Oh, and I lol'd at "love Russia" (don't take that the wrong way. I just thought that it sounded funny).

samaugsch:

Lost the cold war? Didn't you manage to launch someone into space before we did? There's also games like the Civilization games where you can play as any nation you want and lay waste to the other ones. Oh, and I lol'd at "love Russia" (don't take that the wrong way. I just thought that it sounded funny).

Goodness gracious, samaugsch! Browsing through the backlog, eh?

Well, if the Cold War is to be viewed as a competition of sorts, it's all about the performance at the finishing line, don't you agree?
I was tempted to write "From Russia, with love" but that would be rather more disingenuous (and corny), as I can't quite claim Russian citizenship. Still, we're former USSR, speak Russian and often get confused with Russians in the gaming media so it's kind of all right.

Singularity is a pleasant surprise. I wrote the game off when Yahtzee bashed it. Silly me. Frankly, that was the only time I'd heard about it, it was hardly marketed at all, or so it seems.

Eight months later, at $30 USD, I'm happy and content. I guess I'm just fond of the "old skool shooters". Yes, the plot's nothing to do cartwheels over, but it's not bad, and at least they went to the trouble to have a story that's middling coherent. The gameplay's good, if a mite on the easy side. I'm also not sure about the cel shading technique they employed; at times, particularly in the beginning, it rather detracts from the atmosphere and immersion. They'd been a lot better served using more photorealistic lighting and rendered areas. At times I felt like I was walking through the bastard child of Borderlands and Metro 2033. Other times the graphics were pretty good, and the immersion again took hold.

That said, hey, it's a good, solid shooter, nice perks along the way to customize your weapons, with a decent, if not stellar, story. Nice for the price, with the $60.00 P.O.S. reviewers-gushgush-spew-the-hyperbole titles that are hitting the shelves right now. It's not a Modern Warfare or COD clone, for which I can only say, "Thank Gawd".

Oh, and the writing was nominated for the Writer's Guild's Video Game Writing Award - take that as you will.

I lol'd at the end; couldn't agree more about that "plot twist".

There's one little thing I'd like to note that left me totally disappointed (ending spoilers!): At the end, if you go back in time and try to stop yourself from saving the bad guy, what I tried to do was shoot the bad guy, not myself. Unfortunately, if you shoot the bad guy, the game just gives you the game-over screen and forces you to do it "properly", even though it's pretty obvious that you can just shoot the bad guy. You actually have to carefully aim at yourself to make sure you're not going to hit the bad guy. So, the game literally forces you to kill yourself, even though there's obviously another solution. Pretty silly, if you ask me.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here