Zero Punctuation: Singularity

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

oooh, you must include the human centipede, didn't you?

Holy crap! You lost your innocence at flambards too? It's an evil place..

It's unfortunate, there really is a lack of innovation in the gaming industry these days, a lot of developers seem to think 'shiny graphics' or 'alternate control styles' count as innovative, when ultimately the core game play comes down to beating a dead horse repeatedly, so much so that you might as well be using a stick of liquorice as there's nothing left to damage.

And as has been said before, people who decide whether or not to buy games of Yahtzee's "review" probably shouldn't be gaming to start with.. His job is pretty much to make fun of faults in games, he occasionally has a few good words to say but that's ultimately his choice based on whether he enjoyed the game or not.. Your experiences may vary.

Phenom828:
Well, this was a surprise. Him reviewing the game I mean, not him not liking it. I thought Singularity was pretty fun and I think he missed a lot of points that made it fun. But I agree with the laughability of the "plot-twist". Although honestly I enterpreted the "plot-twist" as something else.

I'm gonna have to watch the video again though... I was sort of "dumbstruck" that he actually reviewed the game.

Actually, I think it goes further than that:

Even if you go back and kill yourself the time-line's still fucked, with the epilogue implying some kind of "good" Soviet rule of the world, with statues of that scientist, and you on a mission to the island but with Russian names like "Red Fleet" replacing the American ones. The video after the credits shows what the real anomaly was, it was Kathryn sent back in the ship wreckage who leaves that note in the book.

Anyway, there was "bullet-time", albeit with only one gun, the seeker. Firing a gun slow-mo around a corner into a soldier's groin never got old.

wow a lot suspensions there...
anyways:
clever ending IMP! finaly a win for the IMP!

I love seeing at least three people getting suspended or banned whenever a new ZP comes out. You thought they`d learned be now...

"...or is the entire gaming industry blackmaile by the russian voice actors union?" <-- you know what? I find there is a distinct possibility that this is in fact true.

however, i share yahtzees criticism, but i must say: singularity was at least a little fun. it was ok halfway through, the other half repetitive and boring. the multiplayer is actually very entertaining for a few hours.
I must actually have fallen asleep for a second or so during exposition, because i never actually realised the russians had taken over the globe until near the end. the supposed twist on the other hand, was, as far as i remember, reveiled an hour before the actual supposed revelation at the end - but more as a casual mention on the passthrough.

good work todays zero punctuation was great

redscum:

Phenom828:
Well, this was a surprise. Him reviewing the game I mean, not him not liking it. I thought Singularity was pretty fun and I think he missed a lot of points that made it fun. But I agree with the laughability of the "plot-twist". Although honestly I enterpreted the "plot-twist" as something else.

I'm gonna have to watch the video again though... I was sort of "dumbstruck" that he actually reviewed the game.

Even if you go back and kill yourself the time-line's still fucked, with the epilogue implying some kind of "good" Soviet rule of the world, with statues of that scientist, and you on a mission to the island but with Russian names like "Red Fleet" replacing the American ones. The video after the credits shows what the real anomaly was, it was Kathryn sent back in the ship wreckage who leaves that note in the book.

Anyway, there was "bullet-time", albeit with only one gun, the seeker. Firing a gun slow-mo around a corner into a soldier's groin never got old.

Wow, I'm a bit flattered that your first post was quoting me. ^^
And yeah, there was some difference, that's why I wrote "maybe". And I didn't really "get" what happened with Kathryn and the stuff...
Incidentally I did the same thing you did. "hmm crosshair still red?" I actually thought you were supposed to do that... :p

EDIT:

WELCOME!

CyricZ:
Wow. Can we make laws that people who write for video games have to have actual writing experience and can show credible work?

And I just realized that saying that I didn't mention that my target was not Mr. 'Tzee, but the people writing this video game he's talking about.

Did you actually play it? Because, as usual, it wasn't as bad as he made it sound.

(Although there were some pretty bad plot holes.)

I don't see why he ripped on the time powers that much, I enjoyed them immensly.

Very funny Yatzhee. Wow what a weird ending for that game.

Phenom828:

redscum:

Phenom828:

Wow, I'm a bit flattered that your first post was quoting me. ^^
And yeah, there was some difference, that's why I wrote "maybe". And I didn't really "get" what happened with Kathryn and the stuff...
Incidentally I did the same thing you did. "hmm crosshair still red?" I actually thought you were supposed to do that... :p

EDIT:

WELCOME!

Haha, thanks. First time poster, long time ZP watcher and lurker :). I still don't really fully get the Kathryn stuff, the time-line is so convoluted, but I think she must be the anomaly.

I think this is the first time I've actually played a game before Yahtzee's done a review of it.

Edit: meant long time ZP watcher and lurker, oops.

i really hate people who dislike time travel plot lines because of there complexity, its almost seems like they are trying not to get it and be stupid cock sucking idiots. I also hate people who hate history, for they are also trying to be idiots, but more in the way blonds are stupid.

In fact the game rip... I mean "homages" HL, Bioshock and FEAR.
Yes, is inferior than they but still is good. At least is better than the COD/Halo clones out there.

Yahtzee, destroyer of plot twists!
Hurray!
Fuck, I don't know what to say about it, I just wanted to express support.

Flambards: the Best Day of The Week.

Anyone else find it rather insulting that Yahtzee will tear down a game and just under the review they tell you where you can buy that same game?

Pretty strong first half, though what he was saying he wanted to do with the Revert is why they did what they did with it. The second half was pretty meh.

Wow, six straight probations/suspensions. That's a new record.

And there's something about tossing a baby with a hand grenade at enemies that makes me want to get a shrink.

RadiusXd:

Future Hero:
He thought it was a piece of shit ripoff made by amateurs. YAY!!

He thought it was better than Wolfenstein. BOOO!!!

for your safety, i recommend you change your avatar within 5 days.
Just a friendly warning.

EDIT: OT, does anyone else think element 99 might be a bit of a tiberium ripoff?

Why would I change it?
I still think the game sucks. Hell, I'm gonna keep it 3 months after the release.

Since we're talking about plot twists, I recently completed BioShock for the first time, and there was a plot twist in the game that was very notable for its absence:

Anyone have any idea what the refrence to Blackburn was about?

The only reason I was intrigued was because I am from Burnley there footballing rivals.

This one was fantastic. Leave it to Yahtzee to point out that these kinds of shooters are all the same...and that plot twists really have gotten that bad.

Wasn't this game released like two years ago? Is this another retro review?

Wow, I must have some pretty decent clairvoyance myself, just the other day I was playing Singularity at work and thinking "I think Yahtzee will rip on this game in his next review. It has all of his favorite points to rip on. It's too easy, it has gimmicks, and it blatantly rips off at least 2 other good games, this sounds too perfect for him to just go into, state the obvious, point out the lack of making people into babies, reanimating the dead, the number of staircases and chalkboards that are all imbued with Mysterious element Egg (and why every soldier can be aged.. why are they all imbued with this element?!)

Despite all that, I'm really enjoying the game because it has proper pacing and storytelling. In the interest of keeping this short, I'll sum it all up.

Enemies: Good, varied, damned annoying.
Weapons: Varies from poor to amazing, but I like the selection.
Areas: Dark and creepy in the present, Bright and colorful in the past, whatever.
Story: Doesn't work in many ways, but that's just nitpicking.
Support Characters: Aren't babysitting missions waiting to happen. They take care of themselves! (mostly.)
Favorite point not mentioned: The first person view mini cut scenes, they were done very well.
Gameplay: Smooth, interesting, and not sure if it wants to be action or horror. The amount of crap on the ground is clearly pointing to action, but some of the enemies are trying so hard to be scary. The puzzles may get you at first, but after that they are all copy paste.
Sounds/Music: No complaints.

EDIT: If I could add anything into the game, I would add in the chance to get off the linear storyline path (in a Disgaea kind of way) and "finish" the game at chapter one because you chose not to help someone. And having alternate paths to follow if you allowed certain events in the past to happen. Plotholes are always going to abound when some "world domination time changing event" takes place, so why not just get crazy with it?

T8B95:

1) It was released in late June for Europe and North America.
2) Reminding you or letting you know if you forgot or haven't seen certain Yahtzee reviews: games tend to be released later in Australia than in other bigger continents.

Although a rather short review compared to other ones,I enjoyed it.

I finished the game and liked it,even with it's similarities to Bioshock.

You know, element 99 isn't some big mystery. It's called Einsteinium. It's a legit element on the periodic table. It's a synthetic metallic element that's highly radioactive. It's created by sticking Plutonium in a reactor for several years like cheese. Why did they pick that? If they wanted to be original and realistic, they should've chosen element 118 which, if created, would be the first man made completely stable element.

lordwally:
element 118 which, if created, would be the first man made completely stable element.

Isn't that the element which allows for UFOs to work properly and other such conspiracy theories?

bushwhacker2k:

T8B95:

1) It was released in late June for Europe and North America.
2) Reminding you or letting you know if you forgot or haven't seen certain Yahtzee reviews: games tend to be released later in Australia than in other bigger continents.

Yeah I know he gets games later. Just re-watched the review, and read the Wikipedia page, and the game that I'm thinking of is Timeshift.

Holy crap. I know that exact bear, scared me half to death the first time I saw it, and that bee rollercoaster, the most boring 40 seconds of my life!

Oh wait what? Singularity, oh yeah. Can people make a FPS that isn't generic anymore? I've yet to see much evidence.

Russian voice actors guild! yes! hahaha

I've been commenting all the time about how there are way too many games lately where you fight Russians. I thought the cold war era of paranoia was over?
In addition to the games you pictured, MW2 and BFBC2 both pit you against Russians in fictional realities.

Enough with the damn Russians already! At least in STALKER and Metro, the main character is Russian as well, so it doesn't feel as blatantly xenophobic (plus those games were developed by Ukranians).

Was that guy shooting down Buddy Holly with a rocket launcher? haha

I had high hopes for this game from the initial teasers, but now that I've seen several reviews, it seems like my hopes were misplaced :(

Funny review, but I'm still getting this game. Turning people into dust sounds fun. I'll decide myself if it's better than Wolfenstein.

Rasputin1:
Very good review as per usual. Yahtzee's videos never fail to entertain me.

All the people getting put on probation never fail to entertain me either.

Yeah me too. I don't usually comment on his vids, but love to open the comment page anyway just to check what bullshit people said in an attempt to be the first in the list before they even had time to watch the vid :D

Yahtzee I enjoy your reviews and I'm really looking forward to you ripping on Little big planet 2 in late november.

best review in a while

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or