Zero Punctuation: Singularity

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

And he made a Human Centipede reference. Thank you Yahtzee, I almost held in my lunch for a second there.

Meanwhile, I too would've loved to turn enemies into babies, but sadly that will never happen.

Okay, um, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's said this, but I really enjoyed Singularity. The gameplay was fast and engaging and kept me interested throughout, and the awesome weapons such as the Seeker (A gun where you can go slow-mo and guide the bullet into whoever the fuck you want) kept me immensely entertained. It had action, suspense, mystery, and a bit of horror, and really, that's all you can ask for in a game. I didn't mind the story, and the big "plot twist" that Yahtzee mentioned isn't presented as a plot twist at all, more like a character's revelation and explanation as to what actually happened. It didn't surprise me at all because it wasn't supposed to. I found the game decently-written, and it's certainly not the worst-written game I've played. It was well worth the money I paid for it, in my opinion. Anyway, nice review as always, Yahtzee, and I look forward to seeing more.

This is only tangentially related to the topic, but I couldn't find a better thread to stick it in, so here we go:

Dear Escapist,
I understand that you need advertisers to pay the bills, really I do. And I understand that advertisers who give you especially large sums of cash may be due for a bit more preferential treatment--like, say, a wrap-around advert that frames all your videos for a while.

If you're going to do something like this, however, please have the decency to test said wraparound, to ensure that it does not interfere with the player controls.

Catching up on this week's videos of interest, I found myself clicking on the fullscreen button on the player, only to find another browser window launching for Starcraft 2. Actually getting at the control I wanted involved carefully hovering over the upper left corner of the button and clicking with care, lest I disturb my aim and miss, getting another unwanted ad window.

I expect this kind of difficulty when performing no-scope headshots in the latest first-person man-shoot, not when watching a video of a British expat talking really fast over top of some stick figures.

Great review, always more ammo available for games with as many apparent flaws as this one.

Also. Interrupt my video one more time advert, I dare you. I don't care if your stupid Datsun makes the jump or not. Letting people watch the first 2 seconds of the video and then cutting in is not a good way to make them want to buy your craptacular SUV.

Why are some plots so horrible and see through? I thought becoming a writer for a game was a difficult job with many trials, so after that you would expect them to be actually good.

Actually Yahtzee's description of the supposed plot twist is pretty much completely false. The game has several real plot twists.

There is a flashback to you saving the guy at the start of the game, I guess it is for stupid people that forgot the beginning. Yahtzee seemed to think that this meant it was supposed to be the reveal of a plot twist, even though Dr Barisov already explained it in the middle of the game.

Thankfully Yahtzee didn't reveal the real plot twists of the game... but it does have actual twists. People very familiar with time travel stories will probably guess most of them (I did), but the actual ending is quite surprising.

sorta feel like hes been beating the same dead horse for a long time. i don't really find them funny anymore, but informative none the less.

Nice review. Think I'll just rent the game or something. Anyways, Yahtzee how come you don't do those 'lil parody clips from games after your reviews anymore? Like from your Silent Hill Homecoming review? I think those things are hilarious!

Hardcore_gamer:
Why doesn't Yahtzee review fighting games like Super Street Fighter 4 or Tekken? I have never seen him review one.

And as for the game's story, all stories involving time travel are typically crap so don't be to hard on this game in that regard.

I think he has reviewed Soul Caliber.

now my head hurts!

but anywho, after (unfortunately) playing the game I have to concur, it was sh!t

I look forward to reading the Extra Punctuation to come out of this weeks video and comments. Will it be an excellent dissertation on time manipulation in games or overwrought plot twists? Or will it be a totally unrelated diversion into irrelevant self indulgence. Probably somehow involving FSG:TG.

your evil twin:
Actually Yahtzee's description of the supposed plot twist is pretty much completely false. The game has several real plot twists.

There is a flashback to you saving the guy at the start of the game, I guess it is for stupid people that forgot the beginning. Yahtzee seemed to think that this meant it was supposed to be the reveal of a plot twist, even though Dr Barisov already explained it in the middle of the game.

Thankfully Yahtzee didn't reveal the real plot twists of the game... but it does have actual twists. People very familiar with time travel stories will probably guess most of them (I did), but the actual ending is quite surprising.

Which "actual" ending? ALL three endings remind me of all the bad ending of Cyberflix's "Titanic: Adventure Out of Time" but at least one of those bad endings was a return to status quo. No matter what the main character does at the end of THIS game he basically loses.

Hahaha finally, something as good as the ones you used to do, like Darkness etc. This was great.

Hmm. You played the game to the end...?

That is strangely a more powerful motivator to buy the game than if you'd spent the last five minutes praising it.

Laughed so much this week that my housemates kept perving on me. Thank you.

Do you actually go back to 1955 in this game or was Yahtzee just saying 1955 to be funny?

CyricZ:
Wow. Can we make laws that people who write for video games have to have actual writing experience and can show credible work?

And I just realized that saying that I didn't mention that my target was not Mr. 'Tzee, but the people writing this video game he's talking about.

especially since element 99 already exists and has been quantified, studied, etc. numerous times. *facepalm*

I live near Flambards!

Good review, commendations for not using Bullet time though

I remember seeing a trailer of this game a few weeks back and thought to myself 'This game is ripping of Timeshift so much Im surprised they even changed the name'

-M

I grew up in Helston (town that spawned Flambards) and I know for a fact that everyone who has put on the "Ferdie" costume gets annually tormented by gangs of rowdy 12 year olds. Add that to the torment of wearing the outfit in the blazing hot summer and never being able to openly state your job to others I think retribution is yours, if only vicariously.

mrdude2010:

CyricZ:
Wow. Can we make laws that people who write for video games have to have actual writing experience and can show credible work?

And I just realized that saying that I didn't mention that my target was not Mr. 'Tzee, but the people writing this video game he's talking about.

especially since element 99 already exists and has been quantified, studied, etc. numerous times. *facepalm*

Can people stop saying this? In the time-frame of the game Einsteinium hadn't been discovered. Not that that matters in the slightest anyway, this is a game, if writers can't make things up what are they going to do exactly?

I like the punk feel in your work. The tampon is definably something men are supposed to be sensitive about and periods in general (Wii motion reference). You certainly don't follow ethical guidelines but don't cross that line by not being racist or anything. There is a certain class to your work, even though it's filled with profanity. It's like punk/intellectual humor.

Yahtzee went to Flambards? OH MY DAYS! I used to work there, its only a few miles from where I live! And no I was not the bear :p

Ignore this post... It was intended for the newest review Yatzee did.

If you want to go back even further you can trace the white haze going through all of the clues presented can be traced back to the huge plot plot twist in KOTOR.

redscum:

mrdude2010:

CyricZ:

Can people stop saying this? In the time-frame of the game Einsteinium hadn't been discovered. Not that that matters in the slightest anyway, this is a game, if writers can't make things up what are they going to do exactly?

im saying you can make things up but i still think it's stupid to "make up" an element that already exists is all im saying. i would've been perfectly fine even if it was one of the ununhexium type elements because we don't really understand those at all yet... or even better, calim it is element 111 that has the advantage of being repeating numbers and therefore catchy without it actually existing.

I loved wolfenstein :''''<

There was actually a movie where a middle-eastern terrorist group summoned a basilisk, I think... or was it a chimera? Either way that's kind of close to the Taliban having giant robotic snakes.
As for alternate history, I have to agree with the cold war thing. I mean, if you're going to do alternate history, do it completely alternate like Insomniac did with Resistance, where the cold war was replaced by a war with an extraterrestrial uberforce and we had a surprisingly high amount of technology for the time being. It's better than "The CIA screwed up and we decided to claim that they started it."

Just so you know Raven thought up the audio-logs first. They implemented the audio-logs in Singularity 1st then they saw Bioshock and then saw the 2k implemented audio-logs as well, but 2k implemented the audio-logs after Raven implemented them 1st... Also there is bullet time... its when you purposely go back in time & the good professor tells you to age the safe...

A TARDIS! :D

You missing the point. now adays games are not worth buying. Only a hand full of games come out each year that worth 50-60 dollars. Most games are rentals. Rent it try it find it good or bad. Do not take everything litteral. I did not see anything that made me want to buy it. There been many time games in which are bad. There might have been one that was good. Point being people should rent games more then wasting money. If the game worth sinking 60 hours into it. ((one for every dollar.)) then buy it. if it a game your play through once in about 4 hours like Singularity then rent it. it that simple. I do not use any game crititic review to make me buy a game. People need to make their mind up for a game not let someone tell you what to buy. Cause chances are they been paid to give a game a decent/good review. Even pc games you can toruent them see if you like it. If you do not delete it. If you do like it delete it and buy it. I only watch these videos to make my guts split with laughter. So please think before you post.

ashps07:
Just so you know Raven thought up the audio-logs first. They implemented the audio-logs in Singularity 1st then they saw Bioshock and then saw the 2k implemented audio-logs as well, but 2k implemented the audio-logs after Raven implemented them 1st... Also there is bullet time... its when you purposely go back in time & the good professor tells you to age the safe...

What.

So anyway, I'm playing the game at the moment and I'm actually really enjoying it. It's not as good as Bioshock, it's far better than Wolfenstein, and overall not an unpleasant playing experience. Yes the puzzles are a bit simple and repetitive and I saw the plot twist from a mile away, but these things don't detract significantly from the core gameplay which is reasonably solid.

I bet most of the people parroting Yahtzee's overly-simplified nitpicks of this game have not even played it. I played it from start to finish and it is actually a good game. It does borrow a lot from Bioshock and it's not really as deep. But it's a solid game and it's entertaining. It isn't perfect, but it's good enough that I think people should check it out. It successfully blends a lot of good elements of other games into one well constructed package.

I will nitpick one thing in that some of the guns you find have limited applications or quickly
become obsolete. (Never use the pistol, it sucks.)

"Hearty congratulations for understanding your audience"

I love that line <3

Having now played this game, despite the bad reviews it garnered, I was still shocked at what an utter piece of crap it was.

The worst texture pop-ins I've ever encountered. Hell, most of the time the textures didn't even bother to show up.

What annoyed me a lot though, was that there seemed to be only two voice actors for the entire game. Every audio diary you found was the SAME EXACT VOICE. They didn't even try!

...LOL

1. Back to the Future reference FTW

2. "...someone left a note." <noticeable pause> hahahaa

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook