Escape to the Movies: Salt

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Salt

This week MovieBob takes a taste of Salt.

Watch Video

I had a very similar feeling. Angelina Jolie = Awesome. Action I can actually see = Good. Russia as the bad guy AGAIN = Lame.

All in all, a good flick. Not great, but not horrible, either.

A spy movie where you can actually see the fight scenes? BRILLIANT!

To the Kremlin: We'll stop making hot spy movies about Russia when Russia stops making hot spies.

I thought this film came out like a year ago?

Still completely uninterested in this movie, mostly because I don't like spy movies if it isn't James Bond, and I don't think Angelina Jolee (or however that's spelled) is in any way attractive... I'm serious, I don't think she's hot.

Russia...Poor, poor Russia.

Always a villain, even when they're not.

Not sure if anyone else had this problem, but after playing the video, a second audio started up. If I paused the video that had the images, I could still here the second audio. It stopped after I closed the video.

Funny thing is, with it being such a dead weekend, another review I heard today said "High on the upper end of average films, worth seeing."

So, that hot Russian spy chick wasn't really a spy but part of a viral marketing campaign for this movie? Agreed?

Wait, so this is actually fairly good? Looked cliched and stale to me from the trailers, but hey, sounds interesting enough to me now.

Kind of tired of the country-typecasting thing that keeps going on though =/

I never understood the "sex appeal" of Angelina Jolie. She's completely unattractive to me and I've seen good portions of Original Sin. She looks too much like Jon Voight. Just watch some of his earlier stuff like Midnight Cowboy and you'll be turned off forever. Chick has got a man-face. She's also not that great of an actress. I know my opinion on this doesn't matter at all, but talking about hot she is isn't going to get you laid either. I'm just saying Brad can have her for all I care.

I don't know about this movie. Can one enjoy it even if one does not like Jolie? Ebert gave it four stars, and like many of his alleged four star movies (Signs, Femme Fatale) I'm a touch skeptical.

I'm totally disinterested in this movie. It's been hyped for like a year, and still looks really "Meh"

KingPiccolOwned:
I don't think Angelina Jolee (or however that's spelled) is in any way attractive... I'm serious, I don't think she's hot.

This. Her lips creep me out.

"Salt" and "Battery" Bob? I see what you did there, Bob!

Seriously, though: I think its better with Jolie. It's been years since he's jumped off the deep end, and Jolie is probably the only other action star out there who's free and competent. Good work Bob.

Moriarty70:
Funny thing is, with it being such a dead weekend, another review I heard today said "High on the upper end of average films, worth seeing."

So, that hot Russian spy chick wasn't really a spy but part of a viral marketing campaign for this movie? Agreed?

I thought she was the inspiration :P See my post.

Looks decent, but I probably won't be seeing this any time soon.

Also, Angelina Jolee is not that hot to me. She has a great body, but I just don't find her face all that attractive and that's kinda important to me. Oh well, to each their own.

I'm just glad they didn't use Megan Fox. I might see this on DVD, I have other movies to see in theaders right now.

zelda2fanboy:
I never understood the "sex appeal" of Angelina Jolie. She's completely unattractive to me and I've seen good portions of Original Sin. She looks too much like Jon Voight. Just watch some of his earlier stuff like Midnight Cowboy and you'll be turned off forever.

That's a great reason NOT to watch that movie.

at this point I'm thinking Russia is going to whoop our ass just so idiots will stop making games and movies that are stuck in the Cold War out of some notion that we were "denied" a 3rd World War.

MovieBob has never steered me wrong before. Gonna check this one out.

Don't think I'll be seeing this one, the ony thing I can think about now is Inception soooo...

Anyway, great review Bob, really enjoyed it.

I thought this movie looked kinda "meh". Not really too interested.

Also I didn't know all the studio hell the movie went through. That's interesting I suppose.

Woodsey:

I thought this film came out like a year ago?

No... maybe it was announced a year ago? I've never heard of it...

ToonLink:
MovieBob has never steered me wrong before. Gonna check this one out.

Hmm... did you see Splice? Did you see Edge of Darkness? Did you not see the Book of Eli?

Well, I was expecting this to be a piece of crap, so let's hope you're right about this one.

this movie still seems very bland. nothing really hooks me in to it.

I actually liked this review. It didn't make me roll my eyes as much as others.

I now plan on seeing this movie, thanks Movie Bob!

I dunno, but Russians definitely has the best English accent for a Villain. Sad... But I would really like to learn that accent!

The "Russia as villain" thing was also pointed out by Yahtzee in the Singularity review, so I don't know what's with them placing Russians as villains these days.

KingPiccolOwned:
I don't think Angelina Jolee (or however that's spelled) is in any way attractive... I'm serious, I don't think she's hot.

Same here, just like with Megan Fox. The movie doesn't even look that great anyway...

Dear Hollywood.

What the Fuck? The cold war has been over for a while now. Why are we still the bad guy? Didn't you beat up a load of goat farmers in the desert since then?

From; Russia

Russian villan is just a stock polt device when anything else would proabaly confuse the audience a bit more and require some explination. "Russia did it" is an excuse movies/games use to get on with the action but in a game like singularity it does seem kind of lazy. All this while the former USSR never setting america as the bad-guy and producing weird and wonderful things like STALKER in which the landscape is as much the villan as anything else.

Hollywood really does need to move past this whole thing but it's hard to make spy thrillers any other way, who else is there that audiences can understand? The whole "Rouge angent" thing was done to a tee by the bourne films.

z3rostr1fe:
I dunno, but Russians definitely has the best English accent for a Villain. Sad... But I would really like to learn that accent!

The "Russia as villain" thing was also pointed out by Yahtzee in the Singularity review, so I don't know what's with them placing Russians as villains these days.

Ask Viggo Mortensten. He did a pretty good job in Eastern Promises and I don't think he's doing anything these days.

Maybe we're just bored with Arab villains? Or maybe it's because the target audience for these products is to young to remember what the Cold War was actually like and the directors are getting nostalgic. Remember when WW2 was all the rage? Those were good times :)

all i have to say about the russia as a villain thing

2 russian spies were arrested in cambridge massachusetts

google it, it was on the news for while there

Angelina Jolie is alright, but she's not "The" hot chick too me... her seems too... I dunno, odd - the lips are just too big for starters...

chunkymonkey01:
all i have to say about the russia as a villain thing

2 russian spies were arrested in cambridge massachusetts

google it, it was on the news for while there

Yup - the cold war may be over, but don't kid yourselves yanks - the US and Russia aren't total buddies now - especially not after the whole Bush thing, which is a shame as everyone seemed to be getting along up until recently.

I don't know, I think I might skip this one. The name for the character just bugs the hell out of me for some reason but the whole "Russian spy" thing is really wearing thin now in gaming and movies.

Well, as has been said, Russian spies do exist here, granted not to set off WWIII (or are they? o.0) and Russia itself still has some... moral ambiguity. Yeah, it's done to death, but does it work? yes, somewhat sadly, yes. Granted, their presid... er, prime minister, used to be a spy and there was the whole polonium 210 incident.

Big corporations are another possible spy source (see: Inception, the Saint, the International, etc. etc.) but big corporations don't tend to like making movies about big evil corporations (short of veiled versions of their competitors), and have a fair say over their investments. So we're left with SPECTER, HARM, and Starbucks.

As for Russian movies from the USSR period, Tarkovsky flicks like STALKER and Solaris were exceptions to the rule, not the basis of it. They pissed off the government a fair deal really, dealing with existentialism, sadness of poverty, religion, and other taboos. They had to shoot most of STALKER twice because the film was destroyed during development, which resulted in Tarkovsky's death through cancer that developed largely as a result of his environmental exposure to pollutants in the areas where he filmed for an over extended amount of time. Most USSR flicks that weren't by Tarkovsky weren't nearly as memorable because they were basic propaganda reels.

Arab villains at this time would be largely considered politically incorrect.

"MILF of the Universe" <- This is comedy gold, people!!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here