Stolen Pixels #214: X, A, B, Win!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Stolen Pixels #214: X, A, B, Win!

They never teach you how to do quick-time events in the Dark Jedi Academy.

Read Full Article

Or just y'know stop using them? That would work

if you ARE going to implement them make them more forgiving and preferably they trigger actions rather than continue an action (more like heavy rain)

One day a game will come along that actually makes QTE look good. Indigo Prophecy came close, but then it had that section where a character was talking, and you have to do some QTE to represent the another character focusing on what he's saying... you know, that thing that I'd like to be doing? Consequently, I have no idea what was said during that entire scene, but I guess at least my character knows what's going on.

yeah, that's generally how I feel about QTE events. I like the cinematics in a game, that's one of the reasons I never had a problem with the Final Fantasy series. I consider them a reward for all my hard work. QTE kinda ruins that.

God of War III at least puts its triggers in the corners and sides of the screen, so once you work out which prompt is which, you can then watch the scene and just use peripheral vision to tell what button to press. But I'm not sure that's actually better.

Heh...QTE, they seem to be the staple these days...taking the action out of our hands to a couple button presses...sucks

I actually prefer Shenmue's QTE. Most of them are in specific sequences. If you fail, it alternates the story a little.

Although, there's still some of those moments that comes out of the blue.

I don't mind quick-time events.

Nor would I mind them ceasing to exist.

I just really hate the "MASH THE SAME BUTTON REPEATEDLY". Like opening ANYTHING in God of War.

Or having a chainsaw duel in Gears.

Or well...anything that requires mashing the button over and over.

I don't mind the "Press Buttons in Sequence" ones very much.

Happens to me too. I missed like all the action scenes in The Force Unleashed because of this stupid shit. Plus, half the time I missed the quick time events anyways. They gave you like no time to hit the buttons.

I thought Mass Effect 2 did them pretty well, with lots of "Press X to be Badass"

Agreed. Don't cover up that sweet cut-scene with button mashing. Cut-scenes are earned because you beat the previous section of the game - give me a break from button mashing for a while.

I thought Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones did a good job. Scenes that normally would be relegated to cutscenes gained a little extra fun when you had to press the attack button when the screen "flashed". It wasn't really difficult, but it added interactivity without completely murdering your ability to watch the cutscene.

Onyx Oblivion:
I just really hate the "MASH THE SAME BUTTON REPEATEDLY".

This. Sequence QTEs are bad enough, but this...

"So, you want me to 'PRESS BUTTON REPEATEDLY', game? Here's another idea. How about I throw the mouse at the wall - it'll cause approximately the same amount of damage - and then go do something actually fun, like watching the grass grow?"

I don't mind QTE's but at the same time, I wouldn't mind if they went either.

I'd suggest that developers simply stop trying to make cutscenes interactive, but I'm logical like that. At the very least they could do something like what Mass Effect 2 did and make any quicktime events optional. Seriously, if you want us to be playing the game during your awesome cinematics, make the things you want us to accomplish via loathsome immersion breaking prompts things we can just do in the game normally and stop showing them in cinematics, because you'll have exactly this problem otherwise. If you make your players paranoid that you're going to make them press arbitrary buttons to not die in a bloody cutscene, they're going to be watching for prompts and not the scene, duh.

They're especially awful in horror games. In F.E.A.R. 2, instead of being helpless against ghosts, its a quicktime event to kill them. And Dead Space 2 seems to be going the QTE route.

Listen up designers, I AM NOT SCARED IF I HAVE COMPLETE CONTROL OVER EVERYTHING!

I really don't understand the purpose of QTE's. In a fighting game you'd have specific button-sequences to perform certain actions, so you can choose whether to do action A or action B in context. But to make you mash completely random buttons in order to achieve a pre-determined outcome or fail - what sense does that make?

quick time events in cutscenes suck, even mass effect should have just been regular dialog options

quick time events during gameplay a-la god of war, almost acceptable

press x to not die is just the game designers unable to create a challenge

God of War 3 is a step in the right direction here: because it is spread out across the edge of the screen, you are always looking at what's going on in the center. And because most of the QTEs are repeated several times, you can put your fingers on autopilot and just watch the pretty animations.

Replacing visual icons with other prompts would be even more frustrating - it took me 30 minutes to train myself on which button to press for the "world goes black and white effect" in Prince of Persia, because it didn't intuitively map to any of my existing buttons, and I'm a seasoned hardcore gamer.

justthisguy:
I thought Mass Effect 2 did them pretty well, with lots of "Press X to be Badass"

I found nine times out of ten I would hit those reflexively and end up being a complete goat fucker by accident.

Cries of "oh shit I didnt mean to do that" while the smell of burning flesh wafted through the air were common during my playthrough.

EmeraldGreen:
and then go do something actually fun, like watching the grass grow?"

Come on grass grow! Grow, grow like you mean it!

I went to read the first experienced points and was baffled to discover Shamus started to complain at stuff right of the bat. I assumed he started young, positive an naive to become the grumpy self we know now with the passing of several years.

Heh...

WhiteTigerShiro:
One day a game will come along that actually makes QTE look good. Indigo Prophecy came close, but then it had that section where a character was talking, and you have to do some QTE to represent the another character focusing on what he's saying... you know, that thing that I'd like to be doing? Consequently, I have no idea what was said during that entire scene, but I guess at least my character knows what's going on.

Was it the part of the autopsy? I know what you mean, i tried to do both and totally sucked. I always thought that was strange, the police (the character you play) had to pretty much make the entire analysis on his/her own, then why have a forensic doctor there at all? Isn't it his job to do it?

Errickfoxy:
God of War III at least puts its triggers in the corners and sides of the screen, so once you work out which prompt is which, you can then watch the scene and just use peripheral vision to tell what button to press. But I'm not sure that's actually better.

I agree with the way GoW3 handled it. If you are going to have them in your game, and lets face it, they don't seem to be going away, at least make it so I don't have to look down at the controller to remember which button to press.

WhiteTigerShiro:
One day a game will come along that actually makes QTE look good.

God of War III did it pretty well, using the edges of the screen, so that you can focus on the game instead.

Though the early God of War games also did it well, they fell into the trap of having the button be a huge overlay in the center of the screen. GoWIII, you barely even noticed them. You just kind of instinctually pushed them.

it's not healthy to mix laughter with anger, I always have to cough after i laugh, and boy did I cough!

Gildan Bladeborn:
If you make your players paranoid that you're going to make them press arbitrary buttons to not die in a bloody cutscene, they're going to be watching for prompts and not the scene, duh.

I would like to have QTE midcutscene only if it was stopped time and i could chose which one to do.

This is the one AND ONLY way the Wii version of this game is better. The Wiimote motions are always the same, turn and push, and it's piss-easy, even when locked in a lightning showoff with the Emporer.
So you always get to see what you're doing.
Problem being that it's on the Wii, so comperatively, it's still shit, and nothing that isn't in a cutscene looks very good at all!
...Except the aformentioned lightning showoff, and maybe some of the more fantastic force powers. (But they lose their charm when you use them for the four hundred bazillionth time.)

And all they have to do to make them marginally better is make TWO options flash up, and not have a time limit on them.
...And not have them in cutscenes.
Y'know.
Turn them into gameplay.

I liked the system in Brutal Legend. While not really a QTE, you had to hit specific keys in order as a slider crossed the screen to activate an ability. (Guitar solos.) While doing this solo your character would perform an animation and a big light show would explode around you. At first you need to see the keys you are pressing and miss most of the solo eyecandy. But if you get good at it you can memorize them and press the right keys off by heart. So only near the end of the game I actually started seeing all the cool animations they perform.

It was always the same sequence and always the same animations, so I really liked that overall.

Prince of Persia: Two Thrones, allowed you to sneak up on most mooks until the screen distorted a certain way, press a button to initiate the QTE, and, and it would start the animation. Press the correct button when the Dagger flares and the screen flashes, and the animation continues. Fail, and your opponent recovers and throws you off, now alerted to your presence, as are any of their friends in the area. You get to watch the cool animation, you're still technically playing, and there are no distracting onscreen prompts. Or you could just slash them to bits the normal way. Up to you.

Arkham Asylum had a similar system, with the flashing icon that appeared over foes' heads that tells the player they should hit the counter button, and the upcoming Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions is supposed to have something similar.

imaloony:
Happens to me too. I missed like all the action scenes in The Force Unleashed because of this stupid shit. Plus, half the time I missed the quick time events anyways. They gave you like no time to hit the buttons.

The thing I have against the QTE in Force Unleashed, and with QTEs in general, is repetition. I'm not talking about doing several QTEs, I'm talking about doing the SAME one over and over again. How many time do I need to shoot lightning through the AT-ST cockpit or Drag the Blades of Chaos down the gullet of a sea serpent before it actually effects the bugger? Variety people, or else it might as well be a combo move.

i just noticed someting interesting at the bottom of the comic strip....copyright the escapist....

So if someone put this around on the internet you guys can actually sue them?

So true and it bugged me to no end. Took me awhile to get the pattern down just so I can see how the fight went, especially the boss battles. -_-

Honestly they could change the cinematic fight to an 8-bit fight while i press the buttons and i wouldn't even realize it xP

Hehe... so true. Happens to me all the time.

Best QTE's I've played in... Mechassault 2 [Hacking using the suit armour]

Not just mashing buttons but using sequencing and doing it quicker than you opponent.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here