Videogames: The Untold Stories

Pages PREV 1 2

Trucken:

i race snails:
great read and what was your game trucken?

It was Spy vs. Spy. I tried to give clues with the names (Whight=White and Blache=Black) but it was a bit of a stretch. I had fun writing it though.

i managed to guess it, and i'd never played the game. so well done and more importantly, well written.

HollywoodH17:

Therumancer:
Interesting point of view, though I still disagree with it.

The problem with the logic is that Role-Playing Game means something very specific. It has to do with stats and problems being resolved totally independant of action from the player other than making a desician...

Snip snip. With hedgeclippers.

I think you're missing the point. "The Escapist" has postulated that all games are, in essence, Role-Playing Games because in all games, the Gamer Plays a Role. While this may seem to be an oversimplification, keep in mind that the first role playing games - the ones that you have thoroughly and helpfully elucidated - existed before video games, and as such were one of, if not the only outlets that statistically- and creatively-minded people had to assume an identity other than their own. It stands to reason that these players called their trade a "role-playing game" because it was the first instance in which players directly had influence over a set of characters and their parameters, as opposed to the harsh, stark chance of a die roll in Monopoly.

Now, all of our video games put us in the role of a character, a coach, or an omnipotent god-figure tasked with building something/destroying something. I understand you may be approaching RPGs from a purist's standpoint - "This is our terminology and no one else's!" but from a literal point of view, all games are role-playing games.

Also,

Therumancer:

The idea of the story being the most important aspect of an RPG is actually a fairly recent creation, and arguably the death of RPGs as a lot of arguements on that point seem to largely be intended as an excuse to get away from the mechanics, strategy, and tactics that otherwise defined the genere.

No. I'd say exactly the opposite, in fact. Roaming around "the Isle of Dread" to "go find treasure" is still a story, it's just more open than point a->point b->point c. To make the story an "unimportant" part of the experience would require you to A. not care why it's called The Isle of Dread, B. place treasure more or less wherever your dice tell you to, which is sloppy, and C. absolutely remove any semblance of conflict/resolution. No one wants to roam aimlessly around a countryside, which is exactly what you are implying, by saying a story is unimportant.

However, as I pointed out, even things as basic as "the Isle Of Dread" came about after the "Role Playing Game" genere had come into existance without even that basic degree of plot. "Role Playing" means that the role controlls the outcome, not the player.

Also as far as the guy being "clever" with the old Roll playing vs. Role playing crack, I will say that being intentionally ignorant isn't cool. I'd recommend reading an entire message (even if long) before commenting on it, and I'd also do some reading on the origins of RPGs going back to Gary Gygax and Dave Arnenson and how things moved from Wargames, to "Chainmail", to D&D in their case. Looking at the work of Professor MAR Barker is also recommended because his "Empire Of The Petal Throne"/Tekumel [SP] is argued by some to be the "Nikola Tesla" of gaming to Gygax/Arnenson/D&D's "Thomas Edison", many claiming he did it first working from another direction but wasn't quick enough to actual publication/public acknowlegement, as well as shooting himself in the foot with the price of his products.

Heh. Looks like a cool new branch of fanfiction, and a good one, at that.

The only one I didn't get at first was the second one, but when I saw the comments, I facepalmed.

Anywho! Let me try my own... let's see..

If you can figure out what game(s) this story is based on, you win my respect.

Ih8pkmn:

The only one I didn't get at first was the second one, but when I saw the comments, I facepalmed.

Kirby's Dream Land

LadyRhian:

Ih8pkmn:

Kirby's Dream Land

I was just thinking Kirby games in general, but I suppose that works.

i got em all. not in any order but galaga pac man mario duck hunt

That was pretty stupid

Loved the PacMan one. I've always thought PacMan might work well as a survival horror game.

"Increase speed, drop down, reverse direction!"

It took me longer than expected to figure out number...3? The one with walls and running, not stopping. These stories were really clever, actually, well done

The less of a story a game has, the better the fanfiction it gets.

~~This is what passes for 'good writing' to some people?
This is garbage.
Interesting premise: expanding upon such simple concepts and plots such as Pacman or Donkey, but come on.
And I'm not referring to the posted stories in the comments: you expect those to be shitty.
But damn, Escapist. You all should have better things to do with your time.
So should I, but I was so annoyed by the sub-par, community college lit-class level of writing on display here that I had to comment.
I want those eight minutes of my life back.

God this site sucks, other than the original videos.

this article pleases me greatly.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or