Kinect is Actually Fun

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Kinect is Actually Fun

After playing a bunch of titles using Microsoft's Kinect, I can say that the gimmick works.

Read Full Article

Nope.

I'm so tired of Kinect and the shit isn't even out yet. It's even more annoying then Wii.

I'd like to try it.

It's just way too expensive.

For that title you certainly didn't make it sound like any fun, imaginary wheels, lunging forward somehow translating into bowling ball spin and looking at yourself doing things people usually are drunk for.

Zing:
Nope.

I'm so tired of Kinect and the shit isn't even out yet. It's even more annoying then Wii.

Then give your prereleased version to someone who will give it a shot.

Oh wait... you don't have one don't you? Oh well, I wanted one.

I'm going to believe you, perhaps I will buy this some day.

How much did Microsoft pay you?

k, I jest.
I still think motion controls can suck the fat one though.

"150$"
thats how much the wii motion sensing costs,probly...

Bah. I say 'poo poo' and 'good day' to Kinect before I release the hounds. If anything I am very disapointed MS made Joy Ride a full retail game for Kinect now. They potentialy had an online equivilent to Mario Kart and Mod Nation Racers which was free(or atleast cheap), and then they pretty much expect £120 from us for it now. In all fairness, surely there is a Wii in nearly every home now. I haven't even heard anyone at the local shops even speak in favour of Kinect. (or Move eiher i think.)

"In shocking news Kinect is actually fun"...... I don't know if that's funny or sad.

The problem is two fold: one is the price, since people who already have an Xbox probably won't be prepared to shell out another £130 on a Microsoft product which, knowing their track record this generation, will probably be plagued with problems until the second or third revision. Secondly, while the games listed are all well and good, none of them are much different than what's already out on the Wii, Children of Eden excepted (and even then, the concept sounds like Beat Hazard on acid). Sure, these versions might be better, but if you've just bought Just Dance on your Wii, you'll probably not rush out and buy the 360 equivilant.

One more point. The rest of the proposed launch list look pretty rubbish, I have to admit.

Kinect sounds like a lot of fun if you're 8, I refuse to pay $150 to talk to my xbox, stomp around like Godzilla and fight imaginary men, I'm struggling to think of something more embarrassing then what Kinect is asking you to do.

no thanks. too gimmicky. microsoft and sony have to face the fatc that people play games to unwind etc etc. just look up that yahtzee vidoe with his kinect opinion. as long as motion sensing has no feedback, i m not in.

Kintect hypnotizes people! Microsoft has finally thought of a way to rule the earth!

I'm not surprised it's fun. Wii Tennis is fun, Mario Kart is fun, a lot of the games on the Wii are fun and Kinect is pretty much an extension of that so what do you expect? The thing is though, $150 is too expensive for something that can play games that might be fun but aren't as deep or challenging as many of the other titles I could play without buying an add on. If some good RPGs or FPS or even an RTS (you know it could work) become Kinect only I'll be interested in getting it but when the library is mostly just the same stuff that sells well on the Wii I'll stick with the Wii.

I still think its laughable that $150 will only get two players on it at any time, i do have more than one friend microsoft

God dammit, I just want Child of Eden. I want the true successor to Rez.

BobisOnlyBob:

Well I do believe that Child of Eden is going to be compatible with regular controllers as well, but I think Rez may have actually been a bit better with motion controls, and it sounds as though Child of Eden will be as well.

I hope Best Buy or somewhere else will have a demo station for Kinect and Child of Eden. I'd love to give it a try, and it could possibly sell me on Kinect.

Yeah well so is a cup and ball and that don't cost $150. balls of yarn are fun. I've had great fun with cardboard boxes. Going outside and playing sport is fun. You can have a lot more fun for a lot less than $150 (as i leanred on my last trip to amsterdam)

After a while it will get OLD fast. It's like most things, the gimmick is fun for a few hours then you become used to it and you are just waving your arms like a headcase and playing a sub-standard knock off of a 3 year old 'casual' mini game collection.

Also does plaing kinect look as foolish as i imagine it does? Kind more like this;

As someone who had the Eyetoy on PS2, it could be great fun, especially among a group of friends.

However, it was a novelty item, and not a replacement for a real controller, and I think that is where the problem hits. I'm not denying it will be fun to play with, but I can get myself a new 360 for the price of the Kinect.

If it had been like the first Guitar Hero, maybe $20 more than a regular game, and coming with a range of games, then, they'd probably have a hit on their hands. At present it's just too expensive for what it is.

I can't help but think they should have kept working on it, and have it ready for the next gen, when they could have made it cheaper, or even built it into the next console.

I hate Kinect because Mircosoft forced Rare, they forced RARE to make Kinect Sports. I repeat they forced RARE to make Kinect Sports. HATRED! Rare of all people, how about making, oh I don't know, a new Killer Instinct, instead of a fucking sports game?!

It might be fun, but its still not for those who are hardcore...so, ill accept it as fun, but nothing else

Dance game where you actually dance = This thing is gonna be bigger than Chlamydia

These games take advantage of the gimmick at hand here and probably few others will as well, after that the Kinnect might just fall under the same "Third party developers didn`t get the point" rant that Nintendo uses.

The price tag of $150 is what Guitar Hero cost here in Norway. Though that means Kinect will probably cost $200-250 here.

It is meant for parties/kids/casual gamers/get togethers/ and people who love gimmicks, such as 3D TV. Why should I shell out $150 for something that some schmuck will buy because he/she falls for gimmicks and I'll just join them at their place. Then later realize that I was right all along and won't like it. Yeah it might be fun for a bit, but that is only because it is something 'new'. After they invite people over for awhile and then about a month later ask "Hey anyone want to get up and act 'crazy'?" Everyone just says nah and Kinects becomes a dust collector. At least then I will have saved myself the money and shame of having bought it.

You had me at "Bill Biv Devoe".

So many good times driving around listening to that in San Andreas.

When will we be able to control zombie arms to rip people apart?

Honestly, I'm kind of pleasantly surprised at where MS seems to be going with Kinect. They seem to just maybe be realizing that it's not something that will interest the hardcore, at least until they come up with some sort of solid idea for it, so they're focusing on what it actually can do.

Sony with it's Move, on the other hand, seem stuck on the idea that their motion control will somehow benefit the hardcore.. and are shoving Move support into whatever they can get their hands on. This despite the fact that Nintendo has already proven motion controls don't really play nice with hardcore games.

Oh well, neither approach is going to get me to buy into either of the gimmicks anyway.

I'm not into motion controls, every time I see a video I think "That's just not my thing."
In most of the E3 videos, it looks like they're not actually playing the game, they're just dancing around like a pillock to a video being displayed. It's just too gimmicky for my liking.

BobisOnlyBob:

This is the only game I want for Kinect.

I don't like the whole concept of Kinect neither it's library of games so I won't buy it

StriderShinryu:
Honestly, I'm kind of pleasantly surprised at where MS seems to be going with Kinect. They seem to just maybe be realizing that it's not something that will interest the hardcore, at least until they come up with some sort of solid idea for it, so they're focusing on what it actually can do.

Sony with it's Move, on the other hand, seem stuck on the idea that their motion control will somehow benefit the hardcore.. and are shoving Move support into whatever they can get their hands on. This despite the fact that Nintendo has already proven motion controls don't really play nice with hardcore games.

Pretty much this. I love "hardcore" gaming (I love the smell of n00b in the morning), but I also love busting out The Sims 3 and just fucking around for a while. And I think Kinect is perfect for that market. A lot of people have written it off far too early. AND YOU'RE ALL CYNICAL FUCKS. (lol, I jest... Not really. You're all cynical)

Like I've said quite a few times before. Kinect is fun. Of course it's fun, how could it not be fun? But what it isn't is deep. You can't make deep, complex games using Kinect. It just won't work with today's technology.

So while what it does will always be fun, it won't be engrossing, or deep. It won't be able to tell stories in games, draw you in, create a world, because you can't do that when you're continually breaking the suspension of disbelief.

Which is fine, really, nobody expected it to, but while I have no real problem with Kinect existing, I will have a very definite problem with it when it starts actively obstructing the development and creation of said deep games. What I'm saying is, I think if MS wants this to sell, they're going to have to market it aggressively, and if they do market it like that, I expect regular games to suffer in the progress. However, I might be wrong, and if I am, long live Kinect and may whoever buys it have fun with it. But if it reduces what the gaming industry has spent so long trying to achieve, immersive games with depth, then it's the enemy, pure and simple.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here