On Time Travel

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

On Time Travel

Yahtzee talks time travel and responds to Chris E.

Read Full Article

Oh, well, Chrissy is my personal hero at this point. Such style and grace. I have not seen such great debating since, well, ever.
My personal favorite game involving time traveling has to be the very splendid TimeSplitter franchise. Most notably: TimeSplitters 3. There's time traveling in it so it's allowed xD

Edit: Also, Final Fantasy 8 deserves a mention for being so bat-shit insanely stupid.

Why wouldn't you have pulled Chrono Trigger from that list? That is definitely my favorite game involving time travel.

We need to send fan-mail to this Chris E!

Quickly, someone start a fanclub!

My favorite game that uses time travel mechanics is Chrono Trigger. Which Yahtzee claimed to like but will probably still berate me for choosing because it's a JRPG and god forbid anyone like those games. But time travel mechanics in that game are limited to plot and have little to no bearing on actual gameplay. (No, I don't care to argue the legitimacy of JRPG mechanics as gameplay, TYVM.)

Also Yahtzee will probably weep with yellow anger when he hears I'm going to buy Singularity, which I already decided before I saw his video. Or maybe he won't weep since it's a person thinking with their own mind, rather than letting games journalists do it for them. Which is something he advocated for, wasn't it?

Premonition:
Oh, well, Chrissy is my personal hero at this point. Such style and grace. I have not seen such great debating since, well, ever.
My personal favorite game involving time traveling has to be the very splendid TimeSplitter franchise. Most notably: TimeSplitters 3. There's time traveling in it so it's allowed xD

Yahtzee! How could you forget Timesplitters? Excellent series.

I don't know how time travel would work as an in-game gameplay mechanic...someone should try and find out.

Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time had some good puzzles with Clank (which is hear are similar to Timesplitters: Future Perfect)

I want to know whatever happened to that RTS that was supposed to use time travel as a gameplay element?

Lack of Chrono Trigger is fail. Also props to Chris E for making the rest of humanity appear smarter in comparison to his constructive argument.

Massive props to Chris E for making that argument.

Chrono Trigger should be on that list.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
I want to know whatever happened to that RTS that was supposed to use time travel as a gameplay element?

Achron? They're still doing it. It's currently in alpha, and i may consider buying it.

It's quite clear that the best time-travel game ever created and will stand tall and proud over any other pretender that dares glance at its throne is Mario's Time Machine. What other game has been so able to take a series known for excellence and provides government-sanctioned printers of all international currencies and rightly beat it to a bloody pulp with a game where you blithely wander random time periods looking for unimportant shit like Mario had an unusually detailed shopping list?

I hereby rest my case.

Chris E. is truly a great man. He sure put you in your place Yahtzee! Ha Ha Ha.... Bored now.

Calumon: Half Life 2 had a way of travelling forward in time.

Jack: You've never played it! How the bloody hell do you know?

Calumon: I'm made of data and copy your memories while you sleep.

Back to the future NES... I can't think of any other.

I'm going to join the horde of people that already said this, but Chrono Trigger, best time travel game hands down

On a side note that e-mail made my day at work so far. Good to see the future is bright for coherent debate

Last game I had fun with that had time travel was Sonic CD, but that's not exactly a great example. It was more to just get the good ending. I don't remember breaking the bad machines in the past having a tangible impact that affected gameplay other than a nicer looking boss level with more upbeat music.

Hubilub:
We need to send fan-mail to this Chris E!

Quickly, someone start a fanclub!

i think cris e is eh pretty cool guy. eh fights Yahtzee and doesn't afraid of anything.

Ah well, fail troll is fail, so I will simply hoist my 2 cents on top of this pile of loose change.

Time travel is always a confusing subject for me; the only game I really understood it with was TimeSPlitters and-after a year- Second Sight. Which, during the first playthrough, skull-fucked my sense of knowing.

Premonition:

I'm with you on that, Future Perfect is one of my favorite game, it makes a great use (and fun) of time-travelling. The multiplayer and the game overall were a lot of fun. Haven't played the others games though.

As for the article, it's interesting, especially the part when Chris E. gets to expose his amazing debate skills, the rest of it is slightly less instructive. The only game in the list I played is Timeshift, wich was meh.

Oh wow... Chris E is awesome. Beyond the great rant, he used the "internet-alternative" spelling of "teh" instead of the normal "the". Now, if only he could have worked a "kitteh" and a "1337" in there somewhere, he could have truly reached the sublime apogee of wonderfulness.

While it's possibly too-informed from Sands of Time, I found Braid to be a fun, unpretentious time-travel-mechanic game. Quite possibly the best (though, certainly not the most informed or most perceptive) review of the game is by Soulja Boy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSXofLK5hFQ

and I know what you're thinking: no, that wasn't a reference to Nietzsche, OR Montaigne. But his response and childlike fascination with the sheer simplicity of the conceit is something that, I think, speaks to all of us: the basic desire to control the effects of time. Indeed, it's that which is its strongest quality: the game as a whole is as simple as its device. Sands of Time, while probably the better game, requires more finesse, more effort (though, to paraphrase Dr. Johnson, that which is played without effort is also played without pleasure). To me, Braid is the so-called casual game that I might give to Roger Ebert or someone newly interested in the medium; it's not narrative, and it's not structured (and in light of those, it's more avant-garde than it is anything else), but I think it's pretty cool.

Time travel as a plot is all well and good but I like time travel as a mechanic much more.

I always remember the joy of two GBC Zelda games: Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons. These let you jump forward/back in time, or switch between the 4 seasons. As you improved things in the past, it made the present and future better.

It would be nice to see more time travel games like that to be honest, where you actually control when and if you go back/forward in time rather the just having it as bullet time.

Oh, and I notice City of Heroes was on that list... not really proper time travel, just a mission plot device where you go in an instance and fight slighty different bad guys then usual cause they're from the past/altered time and change the future/etc.!

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Extra Punctuation: On Time Travel

Yahtzee talks time travel and feeds trolls.

Read Full Article

Fixed.

I've sat and thought about it. I just can't see the connection between sex with animals, homosexuality and Mario Galaxy 2. Unless the reward for getting all the stars is different this time around.

The only time travel game that comes to mind is Age of Zombies, which just uses different time periods for levels. Great game though.

Oh man, somehow I thought he was serious at the start, and then I read "Dear Yahtzee, You are a faggot." and bust out laughing.

Anyway if we're going to discuss time travel in Zelda, forget Majora's Mask. Oracle of Ages made time travel much more interesting. Rather than just forcing you to start everything back at the start if you ran out of time, you had an entire overworld for the past and then another one for the present, and later on you'd have to constantly navigate between the two to solve puzzles and just get around. They even had a dungeon where you had to play it in both the past and the present to get to the end.

Timesplitters has time trvvel in it, but does it count since there is no game mechanics revolving around time manipulation?

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Time Travel Analogy: Like pumping helium at Abraham Lincoln during the Gettsyburg Address, basically just for a laugh.

Thank you for this very hilarious food for thought. It's right up there with a Miyamoto Riddler getting angry every time a fan figures out the puzzle that is Zelda's timeline.

In response to Chris E.:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all.

Good analysis on time travel games, Yahtzee. I, as of now, can't think of any games aside from the ones you just mentioned other than Braid. Braid's time travel was used so sophisticatedly and devilishly well and the puzzles that required it were incredibly clever.

Eternal Darkness was a pretty good game with a sort of time travel.

Also, Day of the Tentacle had to have been the best point-and-click adventure game I ever played.

Surprised he didn't mention "Darkest of Days" after his praise for the premise in an earlier ZP - but the premise really has nothing to do with the gameplay mechanics, so I suppose I'm not too surprised.

"Braid" is definitely my favorite example of time reversal as a gameplay mechanic - at first glance it looks like a basic Mario-style platformer, until you realize that you have to slow and speed the progress of the world to make any progress. It requires some genuine skill to master the right use of the powers, and once you get the combinations correct it trumps any standard platformer there is.

I know you already had a PC game from 1993, but no love for Myst? I thought you were a member of the PC master race, Yahtzee!

Hey, I liked Majora's Mask. :3

I'm not sure if this really qualifies, but I've always loved Mario RPG: Partners in Time.

Screed 2! Best time travel game evar!

I can now see Chris E becoming something of an in-joke at the Escapist.

The Ratchet & Clank Future trilogy had some interesting moment of time manipulation, a Crack in Time being the most stand out... but then again it's in the title.

The best game hands down about time travel is Timesplitters. Out of all the lot, Future Perfect had the most crazy story, especially with it's over lapping versions of the protagonist.

One thing that bothered me in all of these games is how the characters stay on the same planet. If the planet,sun, and galaxy are in orbit, wouldn't traveling through time involve getting stuck in space?

Feeling a bit fat and insecure, as you yourself put it, as of late and need your fanbase to mock random moronic fanboy #452955 for an ego boost Yahtzee? ;)

Either way...I am moreso than ever intrigued by the last game on the list now.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here