Stolen Pixels #216: Pull It Down!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Coliumbos:
You can joke about moving around a planet with the force, but how else do you think the Death Star overcame the disadvantage of being too big to realistically work?

What do you mean by that?

Sure, given the sheer amount of steel required...

Power isn't an issue, neither is travel; I seem to recall reading one of those "Star Wars Cutaway" books and it explained how the Death Star had a giant fusion reactor and a hyperdrive (Probably a reeeaaaaallly big one) in the core.

Though the lasers focusing like that /was/ pretty odd.

Jandau:
Well, regarding a Jedi moving planets around, KotOR2 had a Sith who could murder entire planets with his mind...

Damn ninja'd

DeadlyYellow:

CitySquirrel:
Didn't Vader telekinetically choke a dude? Once over a great distance, just by looking at him?

Well he did insult Vader's beliefs.

I find it funny that on the figures box it says "choking hazard" xD

I think Yahtzee said it best in the Bioshock 2 review when he pointed out that the Force is essentially "all-purpose plot cavity insulation."

Onyx Oblivion:
That. Part. Sucked.

It's not enough that you have to deal with attacks while pulling the ship down SLOWLY AS HELL.

But then they make the ship attempt to reset itself as you fight off the attackers.

AGREED

good lord this part of the game as a pain in the south entrance

honestly...it would've been more epic as a cutscene over this nonsense (or dare I say...extended QTE). as it stands, I was just like "thank god it's over" instead of "whooo I am awesome"

Baldry:

Jandau:

DeadlyYellow:
[quote="CitySquirrel" post="6.220982.7445366"]Didn't Vader telekinetically choke a dude? Once over a great distance, just by looking at him?

Well he did insult Vader's beliefs.

I find it funny that on the figures box it says "choking hazard" xD

tee hee
(I feel like such a Star Wars geek)
hey a toddler can choke on that blaster, they need to put the warning on the back somewhere lol

And Galen Marek (Starkiller for you folks) was supposedly... weaker than Vader or Palpatine.
... riiiiiiight.

Then again, I think I liked the Revan kind of super-powerful super-badass super-magnificient bastard.

You don't get much more powerful than that.

Wait, I almost forgot why Star Wars doesn't have Chuck Norris - Kyle Katarn sent him back crying. THE BIGGEST PLOT SPOILER EVER FOLLOWS:

Shamus Young:
Stolen Pixels #216: Pull It Down!

Before you unleash the full fury of the Force, make sure you know what you're supposed to be doing with it.

Read Full Article

Kwatsu:
I think the trope you're looking for is "Lensman Arms Race".

Actually, that's when nations work to outdo each other, he's talking about Sequel Escalation.

Actually, that whole "moving a planet" thing already happened. Well, not moving per se, but Naga Sadow of the EU could supposedly cause an entire planet to implode by looking at it funny and twiddling his thumbs.

Oh, and Nihlus from KOTOR 2 just ate the bloody things whole.

Kwatsu:
I think the trope you're looking for is "Lensman Arms Race".

*finger wave* These aren't the tropes you're looking for. Move along.

Onyx Oblivion:
That. Part. Sucked.

It's not enough that you have to deal with attacks while pulling the ship down SLOWLY AS HELL.

But then they make the ship attempt to reset itself as you fight off the attackers.

And it is a quick time event.

Shamus Young:
In the first Star Wars movie, there was nothing about Jedi being telekinetic. One movie later, one of the most powerful Jedi in a thousand years was able to move an X-Wing very slowly through careful concentration. Then in the prequels, every Jedi seems to be able to fling objects around at will with little fuss.

Although I can't explain the rest, the above can be explained. It could be said that before the Emperor took power, the Jedi received a much higher degree of training, making it far easier for them to use the telekinetic abilities of the Force. However, as Yoda aged, in combination with not wanting the Emperor or Darth Vader to see his Force signature, his powers significantly weakened, meaning that it required far more concentration for him to do something as (relatively) simple as moving the X-Wing.

Shamus Young:
Mark my words: Sooner or later, a Jedi is going to be moving a planet around. It is inevitable.

Why do you need a Jedi when a small organic blob can do it for you?

V'icternus:

...Luke would still kill him, though. Plot armour and all that.

Interestingly enough,

Onyx Oblivion:
That. Part. Sucked.

And the controls made no sense. You couldn't just pull it down. Oh no. You had to MANUALLY put it back in it's original angle/inclination AND THEN pull it down. If you got it in the perfect angle/inclination, pulled it slightly down, zapped all the tie fighters in .05 seconds, and used the force to grab it right away-they FORCED you to put it back in the original position before you grabbed it YOURSELF and then pull it back to where it you had gotten it before they forced you to reset it.

They forced you to help the enemy forces recover from your attack before they let you resume the attack. It would be like if a First Person Shooter RPG such as Borderlands forced you to give a healthpack to a Boss every time he summoned enemies. You can't just kill the enemies and begin attaacking him. He doesn't just heal while he summons minions to help him. Oh no. You are forced TO HELP THEM FOR NO REASON before you can begin attacking them again.

Power escalation? I go to tabletop for that. I play Star Wars: Saga Edition. In our Old Republic campaign, I kinda... well, sure, I had a Sith superweapon (which was apparently Expanded Universe canon?) available to me at the end of the campaign. I kinda, uh...

I accidentally the entire Mandalorian fleet. and about 4/5ths of their population with it...

I made up for it. Next time we played, it was a late-Rise of the Empire (ie. inbetween the Prequels and the Original trilogy) and I played a Mandalorian.

Her name was Amanda Lorian...

Onyx Oblivion:
That. Part. Sucked.

Yeah, it definitely required that you really get fighting the TIEs down to a T, since the longer it takes for you to fight the TIEs, the more time the ship can reset, and the more time the ship can reset, the more time it takes for you to reposition it (though I don't get why he couldn't just pull it down from whatever angle, why'd it have to be pointed forward? But anyway...) and the more time it takes for you to angle the ship properly, the less time you have to pull before the new wave comes. Oh, and the closer the Destroyer gets, the less travel time needed for each wave (since the TIEs are coming from the Destroyer).

Absolutely hated that part.

ArchBlade:

V'icternus:

...Luke would still kill him, though. Plot armour and all that.

Interestingly enough,

...So... why should we like this nameless jacked-up apprentice guy again? He's a Gary Stu of epic proportions, but without a name or actual personality.
I vote we kill him and replace him in FU2 with a character everyone will enjoy playing.
Here, I'll help create him.

Name: Darth Ikstej
Race: Human with wings (Humwingian)
Interesting Abilities: Can use the Force to regenerate his body when not in combat, removing the need for those pesky health pick-ups I haven't seen or used in like ten years. Can use the Force to detect his own health percentage, shown in-game on a "bar" of sorts. (We can name this brand new game later)
Lightsaber: Player can choose look, colour and combat style of their lightsaber. Said weapon shall be at least as useful as kicking, and at most as useful as they should be.
Ship: Shall not be named after a bird. Birds don't survive in Space. Giant Space-worms, however, do. Soooo...
The Indigo Space-worm.

Ta-da! There. You can thank me later, Lucasarts.
...I take cash or cheque.

Rodger:
I'm to the point now where I actually smile during the Order 66 scene...

......You monster......

V'icternus:
-Snippity-

Never necessarily said you should like him. He's pretty damn bland in game, and I was really just pointing out the coincidence in what you said in my snip.

Um... Also interestingly,

Nice character concept though.

ArchBlade:

You want to know something funny? You are right. Yeah.

Anyway, while some of the things can be explained, some things are just way over the top. But I agree with a post above me somewhere, that pulling down a Star Destroyer isn't quite over the top, it's just way up there on the edge. Size matters not, so if Starkiller is crazy enough to believe that he can pull down the Star Destroyer, then he can. Of course it is tiring work, and due to the engines of the ship battling his every move, it should be hard.

So why did Yoda have difficulties lifting the X-Wing? I can see two reasons why. One, he hadn't used any Force Powers in years, trying to mask his presence from Vader. So he was out of touch basically. Two, he had to pace himself so that he wasn't discovered, making it seem like it was really hard for him. Oh! There is one more reason: He didn't want to show Luke how powerful the Force really was. Power corrupts, and he didn't think Luke would withstand the Dark Side if he saw how powerful the Force really was.

Jaqen Hghar:

-Also snip-

First order of business, either I'm awesome or Lucas Arts is just that predictable.

Second, well, there's quite a few reasons you could come up with for it. Keep in mind that, while Yoda may have been a Jedi master once, by the time Luke showed up, he was even older and more in firm than in the prequels. Years of seclusion and being not even a year from your death bed can have that kind of effect. Maybe age has simply hindered his capabilities.

Or even, it could just be that Yoda's natural affinity for the force simply wasn't as strong as Galen's. Vader even comments at the beginning of the game that Galen's presence is more powerful and imposing than his father's, and he was just a boy at the time, presumably little to no knowledge of force use. It could just be possible that Galen is so close and so connected to the force that he can easily perform feats that even Jedi masters might find difficult.

It's also much easier to write it off as a simple inconsistency, an error stemming from all these different stories and writers stacking into the same universe and establishing themselves at chronologically mixed times. But I suppose there's not much fun in that. >.>

What about Bastilla's Battle Meditation power?

Mark my words: Sooner or later, a Jedi is going to be moving a planet around. It is inevitable.

I was just about to say that too. XD

Didn't Darth Nihilus from KotOR 2 destroy a planet with the force?

WolfLordAndy:
My friend who reads the star wars books told me about one jedi who was totally useless at all force powers except one. He couldn't persuade anyone, he couldnt move object with his mind, he couldn't do the superrun/jump that they seemed to have magiced in Episode 1... but he could absorb energy better then anyone (think Darth Vader just absorbing blaster shots into his hand). Apparently he could just walk up to huge explosions and absorb the blast totally into his body. (Though he often ended up naked, as his clothes didn't have jedi powers)

Quirks like that are good.

I think the worse case of this however, is Wolverine, back when he was first created, he would practically die if shot alot, and spend weeks recoving (it would kill a man, but he could heal quickly... but not instantly). Now we have him recovering from a nuclear explosion in the face in minutes, regrowing his whole body from a skelleton! - Although this might be that other trope of "A superhero is only as powerful as he is popular"

The Jedi is Corran Horn and, if you like to read, I suggest you read "I Jedi"
It's most awesome!

The reason for this is that it is REALLY hard to portray the true power of the force. (That sounded... INCREDIBLY nerdy) Yoda, with his "the shroud of the dark side has fallen, begun the clone wars have" thing, is the closest.

The force isn't really about flashy lightsaber combat or tearing things down, it's about the power of the mind. One thing you miss in the movies a lot is that a lightsaber duel is at LEAST as much in the mind as in the body. They are predicting and secondguessing each other all the time, trying to predict what the opponent is going to do. Actually, I can see this in the SWTOR trailers (Blur studios is awesome)... though there is no way they'll be able to pull it off in the actual game.

Theres already a Force-related thing that moves an entire planet. Zonama Sekot, the Living Planet.

It is inevitable.

Please tell me that I'm not the only one who read that in Hugo Weaving's voice.

Great comic, by the way. The Super Saiyan joke, I can tell, just had to be in there.

Jaqen Hghar:
So why did Yoda have difficulties lifting the X-Wing? I can see two reasons why. One, he hadn't used any Force Powers in years, trying to mask his presence from Vader. So he was out of touch basically. Two, he had to pace himself so that he wasn't discovered, making it seem like it was really hard for him. Oh! There is one more reason: He didn't want to show Luke how powerful the Force really was. Power corrupts, and he didn't think Luke would withstand the Dark Side if he saw how powerful the Force really was.

I hate to cut down your rather adequate ideas, which would've been excellent had they been in the movie, but - they weren't in it, so it's still a plot hole. We can theorise all we want to pretend that a plot hole is filled, but the reality is that a writer's goof or inconsistency is what it is. It can be written in later, it can be retroactively continuity'd in a director's cut, but it will never, ever be fixed. Movies are horribly permanent like that.

actually shamus, in some of the older comics, jedi WERE moving planets, and causing multiple stars to go supernova at the same time.

Let's see:
Dorsk 81 TK pushed Daala's fleet several light years away from Yavin, with the help of about 8-10 other apprentices and died doing it;
Corran Horn has weak TK but can absorb energy like blasters, heat, etc and redirect it INTO TK, force illusions, etc;
Luke Skywalker and Kyp Durron PUSH black holes when fighting the Yuuzhan Vong;
Jacen Solo does some sort of Battle Meditation, Flow Walking(time travel sort of. More like time viewing), and some other crazy crap.
My favourite though, when Luke pins Jacen to a Star Destroyer chair and crushes the chair into the floor by tapping his finger.
In the EU, it seems that a Jedi's power is in relation to his "faith" in the Force.

I can't stand the Expanded Universe anymore. They killed off a character that wasn't really theirs, and they constantly make the Jedi super powerful. You can argue that in the movies they did get extremely more and more powerful but they had at least an excuse, in a way. You can tell that fighting the clone wars has made the Jedi ALOT more powerful then they once were.

I mean,even Yoda couldn't originally see through Palpy's dark side veil and then by Episode III even Obi Wan could sense it. The movies never made the Jedi super extremely powerful, even if a little unstoppable, but it was something I could take in stride. The EU novels just went crazy.

..and then, the sun :)

The_root_of_all_evil:
The most stupid part of that whole series ever.

Even topping Midichlorians and Jar-Jar.

If you can TK a Star-Destroyer, why the living hell would you have ever needed the Death Star?

Starkiller here could just force-choke Alderaan.

But yeah Shamus, Star Wars had Vader choking Admiral Kendal Ozzel, Ben Tk'd his saber to his hand; there was a bit of TK during the first movie.

In fact, given that level of TK ability, that trench looks an awful lot like a X-Wing Junkyard now.

And don't forget Vader TKing machinery out of the wall right before the big twist with Luke in Empire, without the hand gestures used by Luke, Dooku or even Yoda. Of course I bring proof:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iQwIJO16ms
3:20 - 4:00

OT, it's easier and therefore cheaper and therefore wiser to just make things "bigger" therefore "better" rather than spending the time to script something that is actually interesting. Sucks, but it's a fact, some people just draw more attention to it than others.

Oh I just remembered. Jedi can time travel in the force, change the past, and see the future. Jedi are Hacks

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here