The Escapist Presents: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Pages PREV 1 2

The time line is about 3000 years before the rise of Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine and 300 years after Revan dissapeared. The Sith in the game have come from deep space to exact their revenge on the Republic and Jedi. A war ensued until the Sith asked for a treaty.They used this as a plot to lure the strongest Jedi away from the Jedi temple on Coruscant, so the Sith you see in the trailer (The Revan looking ones) could destroy the Jedi temple and hold Coruscant for ransom. They held the planet hostage until the Republic agreed to the unfair terms of the treaty (titled the Treaty of Coruscant) which were greatly in favor of the Sith Empire. This split the galaxy in half. One side ruled by the Empire, the other by the Republic. With the help of Bastila Shan's descendant Satele, the remaining Jedi set up a new enclave on the planet of Tython, where the Force was discovered for the first time thousands of years ago.
That is where the game is starting off.

I hope that cleared up some confusion lol :)

Utterly lacking in useful information. Nice buzz-builder, though. Interview score: 5/10 or "meh".

manythings:

danpascooch:
I know the escapist isn't high profile enough to get the big interviews, but it would have been nice to have an interview with a DEVELOPER from BIOWARE than a PRODUCER from LUCASARTS

I prefer it this way. It means the lucasarts guys are off doing unimportant things while the BioWare guys are making sure they don't let george lucas in the building.

For some reason I just pictured the Bioware workers barricading the building and in a rebels vs. empire like scene fending off Darth Lucas while they smuggle the plans for the game away from his grasp......

hype is hype and all but i honestly think this game is gonna really shake the MMO market up more than any release since WoW came along.

its about damn time.

Fabian Stetter:

to the timeline: its something about 1000years before kotor

Actually it's more like 300 years after KOTOR.

From what I gather the combat will be closer to "insert default MMO here" than to Star Wars action.

The graphics are just horrible by any standard.

More rants should be covered here from the things in the interview but I`ll just stop.

I would really love it to work but at this point I don`t think it will. I feel bad for Bioware.

The ingame footage graphics don't look very good. Kinda like Star Trek Online. They could have done much better. It's not a WoW killer, but it's here to kill SWG, a much better game considering their trading system, better player housing and better graphics.

Ah, the one MMO I would consider if I didn't have a social life and ambitions for the future.

Too bad being mature means missing out on some stuff.... :(

This game is gonna be awesome...

man i wish these interviews just didnt sound like a complete PR spiel. nothing we havent heard b4. I really cant see how the combat is any different than your typical point, click, cast, wait for cooldown, cast some more. Like every other MMO out there >.<

I love how he said he hated hte term "WoW killer". Seriously, that heated debate has caused more headaches that it needed. As he said, they never set out to kill WoW. I would rather focus on making a good game than making it a WoW-killer. A nice bonus, but still.

If I can only play one MMO at the time this comes out, I will sadly bid audeu to my beloved City of Heroes. But, I think this game is worth it.

And now..the mournfully blowing vuvuzelas...

Also

For some reason I just pictured the Bioware workers barricading the building and in a rebels vs. empire like scene fending off Darth Lucas while they smuggle the plans for the game away from his grasp......

This...should be a movie on the Escapist..I don't care who makes it...it just needs to be made.

Allymaris:
The time line is about 3000 years before the rise of Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine and 300 years after Revan dissapeared. The Sith in the game have come from deep space to exact their revenge on the Republic and Jedi. A war ensued until the Sith asked for a treaty.They used this as a plot to lure the strongest Jedi away from the Jedi temple on Coruscant, so the Sith you see in the trailer (The Revan looking ones) could destroy the Jedi temple and hold Coruscant for ransom. They held the planet hostage until the Republic agreed to the unfair terms of the treaty (titled the Treaty of Coruscant) which were greatly in favor of the Sith Empire. This split the galaxy in half. One side ruled by the Empire, the other by the Republic. With the help of Bastila Shan's descendant Satele, the remaining Jedi set up a new enclave on the planet of Tython, where the Force was discovered for the first time thousands of years ago.
That is where the game is starting off.

I hope that cleared up some confusion lol :)

NINJA'D:
This is a very good explanation of the timeline, Thank you.

Delock:
Still wish that this was KoTOR 3, but it's looking rather good none the less. Might be the first MMO I've gotten into since CoH/CoV.

Also want to say that the "cool subplot" he mentioned in the video about killing WoW would be a hilarious event. Think about it: PVP across games. I know this will never happen, but the possibilities are amazing: Transformers vs Gears, Half-life vs Halo, Assassin's Creed vs. Uncharted, Prototype vs inFAMOUS, etc.

And the united forces of The World Of Warcraft were all but destroyed In the first Star Destroyer runs, which was followed by a small group of Jedis, Mandalorians, and Wookies who wiped out whoever was still alive In a matter of hours

Neino Ranatos:
I love how he said he hated hte term "WoW killer". Seriously, that heated debate has caused more headaches that it needed. As he said, they never set out to kill WoW. I would rather focus on making a good game than making it a WoW-killer. A nice bonus, but still.

its doesn't need to "kill" WoW.

by Blizzards own admission there are at least 30 million potential MMO customers who have tried WoW and decided not to play it.

a game of equal quality can stand alongside WoW if the market is that big.

and as for the comments about graphics. the game is built to run on low end hardware (just like WoW) to ensure maximum potential market penetration. graphics aren't everything and personally i think the style fits the IP pretty well.

Eugh... Modern Star Wars...

mikozero:
graphics aren't everything

Please say that to the hardcore Avatar fans..and Final Fantasy...and..y'know..alot of people.

well Avatar was a film :P

there are plenty games around that look amazing but play like crap.
where as Mario hasn't changed much in almost 30 years and still sells by the bucketload.

personally i'm still a sucker for old hand draw 16 bit 2D (imo it doesn't really date)
as long as the gameplay is good ofc

Well at least this is one mmo that looks like it might change mmo gameplay a little rather than follow the WoW model.

It was a nice video, well edited, and interesting.
...but you didn't ask the question that's on everyone's mind (or my mind at least) -- when's Battlefront III coming out?

The only game i won't play a Melee class at launch.(going to be thousands of them)

I, for one, am very glad that the graphics are less-than-excellent; I might actually be able to play the game as a result.

manythings:

danpascooch:
I know the escapist isn't high profile enough to get the big interviews, but it would have been nice to have an interview with a DEVELOPER from BIOWARE than a PRODUCER from LUCASARTS

I prefer it this way. It means the lucasarts guys are off doing unimportant things while the BioWare guys are making sure they don't let george lucas in the building.

Why wouldn't they let him in?

Once he's on their turf, they can corner him.

Baconmonster723:

manythings:

danpascooch:

What a great image.

Thank you for making me feel less alone amongst all the hype!!!
I really, really dont see how they wanna make it both about each characters story and a MMO and not screw one of the two aspects other. I hope they succeed, and if anyone can pull it off, its bioWare, i just really dont see it happen.

It worries me that this video has been up for more than twenty four hours and few fanboys or trekkies are slinging insults and praise in equal measure. I worry because if the came does not illicit rabid mouth foaming hatred or disgusting fawning from the targeted demographic than I will be a lonely Jedi Consular telling future Sith Lords to man the hell up.

chemicalreaper:
...but you didn't ask the question that's on everyone's mind (or my mind at least) -- when's Battlefront III coming out?

Never the studio folded. Her'es the Wiki

I will end up eventually playing ToR. its without question.

I however am really not a fan of the star wars franchise. I like elements of it, but it really doesnt do much for me personally.

I will be playing, expecting that the "story pillar" Bioware has been talking up for the last year will be something that will finally change the nature of MMO gaming across the board (although, its not like FFXI didnt already do it, so they need to quit talking it up like its an absolute revelation)

Heres what I expect from ToR. First and foremost the game play mechanics while better than the average MMO are still going to be an MMO equivilent to the queue system from Kotor, which in my honest opinion wasnt that great.

Secondly, the story elements will be alot more vast than people generally expected. However, given the nature of it being an MMO, I suspect that alot of the "end game world story" will prevent someone who perfers to play solo to fully feel in favor of basically requiring leaning on MMO conventions of having to have large groups to do anything of merit.

Lastly, I expect some will end up dissapointed. My best friend is a complete and utter star wars fanboy (though he will never admit it) As well as a role player. I already know full well that he is massively going to be let down. ToR will be big. It may or may not be a wow killer, but its going to have a sizable population. With such, the same cliches that players created in other MMOs they will apply to ToR. Griefers, gear whores, raiding, turning a game into a secondary career, trolling in chat, ect ect ect. I really do not forsee ToR finally being the game that convinces large groups of people to roleplay, and by the same measure I fully expect that roleplayers will be jabbed at in ToR by non role players the same way they have been in every MMO to date, as well as in real life (see LARP and Ren Faire)

All that said, I do sense its going to be big, and popular, and I expect it to mostly deliver on what bioware is promising. I will play it, because it IS going to be the next milestone in the history of MMOs one way or another. I just wish the MMO genera wasnt so slow to evolve.

Rigs83:

chemicalreaper:

Never the studio folded. Her'es the Wiki

Not necessarily true. For a while, Free Radical Design (now a part of Crytek UK) were working on Battlefront III. They had a working alpha, fighting on the ground and then taking a ship into space and participating in a space battle on the same planet in the same battle. Then LucasArts told FRD to scrap the game.

So as long as LucasArts still owns the IP, there's still a chance of BF3.

Anyone know if this game will be on Mac too?

Im not excited for this game one bit, Starwars mmo's have been done before. starwars galaxy for example. The way he talks about story it sounds like a single player game but its not. Classes dont matter beacuse everyone is gona wana be a jedi or sith or somewere in the middle. Biowere's turn based battle system is boring as hell. Based off the gameplay shown so far its Kotr online. Which makes me even less excited because that game was boring as hell. Good story but boring. Dont even get me started on space combat thats going to be hell.

restoshammyman:
why would anyone wanna play anything other then jedi/sith?

Two Jedi classes (Knight, Consular) and two Sith classes (Warrior, Inquisitor) it's very loosely based on the Star Wars D20 roleplaying game which KotoR borrowed the system of, with the Jedi split into a more force oriented class and a more combat oriented class.

And really.. there's more to the setting than Jedi and Sith. Look at how many people have a serious hard on for Boba Fett (despite the fact he was on screen for a few seconds in the original trilogy). The bounty hunter class is basically Boba Fett.

I think there's a definite appeal about being the 'ordinary' (but really exceptional) dude who does great things through human effort rather than being a mystical space wizard. Whenever I've played Star Wars D20 there are always people who want to play non force users.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here