Stolen Pixels #217: The Empire Strikes First

Stolen Pixels #217: The Empire Strikes First

The parallels between Luke Skywalker and the hero of The Force Unleashed are slightly uncanny.

Read Full Article

Starkillers name is actually given as Galen Malek...somewhere

OT: Interesting comparison, I never really noticed that before.

lmao, nice play on a very old joke...gave me a good chuckle.

Although you really digging force unleashed, huh?

makes me think that Vader has some serious daddy issues he needs to work through

That scenario had never really occurred to me. Good show.

Also that Lincoln/Kennedy thing blew my mind.

Toasty Virus:

Is Starkiller Polish, or Czech? That name sounds far too Eastern-European for a galaxy far far away, if you ask me.

And yes, there are quite a lot of similarities.

That last panel? That just made my day.

...Wow, 1AM and my day has already been made. No reason to wake up, then!

I too noticed during my repeated replays of this game that there was something of a conflicting story going on, with the whole father/son dynamic being all crazy.

I am dissapointed that Kota didn't tell you that Vader IS your father.

...From a certain point of view.

Wait, this isn't a comic about a punk rock album!

The old "Reverse Luke I am your father" trick. Makes me chuckle every time.
You know, I've been killing myself with trying to make a comic and a while ago I was trying to do something like Unskipable, and failed at both. But combined, like this, they may just work!
I'll be stealing your pixel stealing idea from now on.

o lordy im such a nerd for laughing at that XD

This is... confusing?

I don't understand any of this comic. The sidebar, yes.

The comic...not so much.

Toasty Virus:

It was mentioned in the literature (either the novel or comic book). Never mentioned in the game. But i had to learn it from wookiepedia.

I see what you did there.

Which is worse? The guy you hate tells you he is your father and wants you to fight by his side. Or the guy you love tells you it was all a lie and you should go fight for the other side. Alone.

Onyx Oblivion:
I don't understand any of this comic. The sidebar, yes.

The comic...not so much.

The comic is a parody of the famous scene from Empire Strikes Back. Starkiller takes the place of Luke and uses his dialogue from the scene. Vader's dialogue is changed to reflect his relationship with Starkiller.
Ex. In ESB, Vader tells Luke that he is Luke's father. This elicits the "That's impossible" reaction. Luke believed Vader killed his father.
In the comic, Vader tells Starkiller that he isn't Starkiller's father. Starkiller believed Vader was his father, thus causing him to say the same line as Luke.
If you haven't seen Empire or played TFU this would probably be rather confusing.

Hey Shamus! If you look at the True-Father-Killed-In-Intro cutscene, right when the little boy steals the big mean guy's lightsabre, listen to what the father says. I believe you will then have at least the first half of the name you are looking for.

Starkiller's name in given in the novel of The Force Unleashed and that name is Galen Marek.

Funnily enough, I was listening to the Bad Religion album 'The Empire Strikes First' as I read the comic....

I'd never noticed the similarities between Luke and Starkiller. The parallels seem rather obvious now that they're mentioned

dls182:
I'd never noticed the similarities between Luke and Starkiller. The parallels seem rather obvious now that they're mentioned

Which is even funnier if you know that Luke's surname was originally going to be Starkiller

Toasty Virus:

His last name is actually Marek, you may be confused by the similar sounding Malak.

Only difference is, Return of the Jedi didn't suck.

There. I said it.

I haven't played TFU, but I'm sitting here, watching this "loving Vader" raise his apprentice like a son.... and then what? He finds out he has an actual, biological son and goes mental?

Vader loves fake son
Vader disfigures fake son
Vader sends fake son to Rebellion
Vader finds real son
Vader disfigures real son
Vader tries to KILL real son
Vader tries to get real son to JOIN THE EMPIRE

Dear Vader,
The paint inside the suit may be toxic. I suggest a new suit and therapy. Whether he's real or fake, disfigurement is not good for your sons.
Sincerely,
Reality
PS Ditch the old dude with the lightning bolts. He looks like an aging pervert, and when you were played by that Jumper guy, I had to hide children from the acts I feared might follow.

Kollega:

Toasty Virus:

Is Starkiller Polish, or Czech? That name sounds far too Eastern-European for a galaxy far far away, if you ask me.

And yes, there are quite a lot of similarities.

It's his codename, not his real name. And it's just a reference to the original script of Star Wars where Luke was Deak Starkiller who I think then became Annakkin (it was spelled different to Anakin in some weird way) or Luke Starkiller (I forget which) before finally becoming the Skywalker we know today.

Star Wars nerd AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Sparrowsabre7:

Kollega:

Toasty Virus:

It's his codename, not his real name. And it's just a reference to blah blah blaaah...

No, i meant his (apparently) actual name (Garen Malek), not his codename.

His name is

GALEN

MAREK

and it is mentioned in the game, though very briefly, and it is understandably easy to miss.

Hubilub:

There. I said it.

I WILL CUT YOU.

Bayushi_Kouya:
His name is

GALEN

MAREK

and it is mentioned in the game, though very briefly, and it is understandably easy to miss.

Hubilub:

There. I said it.

I WILL CUT YOU.

NOT IF I CUT YOU FIRST

VERY nicely-done. I never thought of it that way!

Never saw it that way fun comic and this made my day.

is bob Bendak's descendant ? :P

Kollega:

Sparrowsabre7:

Kollega:

Toasty Virus:

It's his codename, not his real name. And it's just a reference to blah blah blaaah...

No, i meant his (apparently) actual name (Garen Malek), not his codename.

Doubtful, Galen Marek's no weirder than Ki-Adi-Mundi or Adi Gallia, though it may indeed have east european origins.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here