Review: StarCraft II

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 19 NEXT

Review: StarCraft II

It only took 12 years, but this sequel was worth it.

Read Full Article

I have a games-more-than-ready PC, and I'm not buying this.

Not until they support LAN, at the very least.

BTW, the title for this should be "Review: StarCraft 2's Single Player"

paketep:

Huh, your denying yourself so much pleasure but whatever you say.
Its kind of amazing for me to utter devote myself to a game despite the numerous frustrating technical choices surrounding the game (region locking et al).

kingcom:

Nope. Blizzard is denying me and many others that pleasure.

Looks gorgeous, but I'll only buy the game when the battlechest is released.

Is it just me or have the character designs really lost a lot of their originality in the transition to such high end graphics? Kerrigan especially, she looks like typical ultra sexed up woman number four now.

On a positive note it does look like a smashing game, and I can't wait to play it. Just a tad disappointed with how their art directions gone.

I enjoyed the game but it did feel like the story is rushed through, not much time spent on each part of the story.

Still a great game, even if it seems to be slowing down the longer i replay it.

I can safely say that I love this game. I haven't finished the campaign yet, I'm still so stuck in the multiplayer. But I'll get to it...someday.

Yer not the only one waiting for Heart of the Swarm, I can't wait for it! and nice review!

I am loving the game, and, I am still working through the campaign and getting the achievement!

Well worth its 5 Stars!

Just beat the campaign last night and really enjoyed it. Between the campaign, ranked matches (1v1, and team), challenges, custom maps, and achievement hunting this game will last me through to December.

Why was nothing said about the DRM?

I beat it but I had some problems with the story. I made a topic about it but I'll re-post here.

here's a link to the thread if you would prefer to comment there,

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.220785-SPOILERS-Questions-disscussion-about-Star-Craft-2-story-SPOILERS#7444726

I'm on the last mission now, and expect to finish the campaign tonight. So far it's excellent, though from the storyline I've been able to get so far it really seems like Blizzard is setting up for a World of StarCraft kind of game after the trilogy is over.

Honestly, I don't think the multiplayer can hold up to how great the variety of the campaign was, or at least not until people get used to the scripting system and create some maps that have more complexity than simply "kill the other player" arena matches. After the success of Defense of the Ancients, I would have thought that Blizzard would have released with a bit more game variety in the multiplayer.

Question for those who have bought it:

Is it worth getting if I have no interest in multiplayer and kinda-sorta enjoyed the original?

60 euros :| no thanks. thats like 6 days worth of dinners

Greg Tito:
Review: StarCraft 2

It only took 12 years, but this sequel was worth it.

Read Full Article

I thought you were told to never use that phrase again... Terrible damage...

ionveau:

Because the only DRM worth mentioning is online activation which is par for the course these days?

Zhukov:

Is it worth buying for someone (that is to say, me) who has no interest in multiplayer and kinda-sorta enjoyed the original?

Get ready for massive DRM, The story is good, the levels are just copy and pasted from WC3

remember you wont be able to play this game THROUGH LAN so if you want to VS your brother sister friends etc you wont be able to

Xocrates:

ionveau:

Because the only DRM worth mentioning is online activation which is par for the course these days?

1 account per CD KEY(you cant even play the game without the account so dont lose it)
no AI without internet
No lan

ionveau:
Get ready for massive DRM,

What massive DRM? Once you activate you can play the whole Single player side of the game offline (which indeed I have)and the only difference is you won't get achievements. You need to be online to play multiplayer, but that is hardly surprising.

ionveau:
the levels are just copy and pasted from WC3

As someone who played both games, I call bullshit on this.

EDIT:

ionveau:
1 account per CD KEY(you cant even play the game without the account so dont lose it)

Correction: 1 online account per CD key. You have three offline guest accounts.

ionveau:
no AI without internet

Lies

ionveau:

Zhukov:

Is it worth buying for someone (that is to say, me) who has no interest in multiplayer and kinda-sorta enjoyed the original?

Get ready for massive DRM, The story is good, the levels are just copy and pasted from WC3

remember you wont be able to play this game THROUGH LAN so if you want to VS your brother sister friends etc you wont be able to

Massive DRM? All you need is to make a simple and free account, type in your CD key, login and play. Then all you need to do is have an active internet connection and you can even play the campaign in offline mode once you've logged atleast one time. (Altho achievements would be disabled)

Your brother, sister, friends or whatever will simply have to get a game and a CD key of their own, it's not such a big freaking deal. There are also some guest card things that you might be able to work something out with.

Copy and pasted maps from WC 3? What the hell are you talking about?

Edit: Misstypes.

ionveau:

You can play with them just fine - your LAN just has to be connected to the internet. The game handles multiple connections from the same network without any real issues - it's obvious that Blizzard has learned a lot from the networking code behind World of Warcraft. We have had plenty of matches between people in the office here, all connecting through the same (not so great) internet connection with the same external IP.

ionveau:
no AI without internet

Actually, once you have the game installed and activate the game by logging in once, the DRM is quite light. The single-player campaign can be played without logging in, without an internet connection (though obviously not tied to games linked to the account), and without a CD key.

Multiplayer requires an account login, but that requires an internet connection anyway, so it's not a big deal. AI matches (and Challenge maps) can be played offline - I just verified it on my copy.

No lan

That's not DRM. That's whining because they don't support a feature you think you want. You've made your point that you don't like that there's no LAN play. You can stop mentioning it in this thread now - you're on the verge of trolling, and we don't like that here.

Captain Placeholder:

Oh boo hoo, you do not get your precious LAN games, wait a sec. I am not no brain surgeon but can't you just have your friends bring their PCs to your house or vice versa and all sign in to the wireless internet source and THEN play? I know that is what they do in a certain shop in my parts here... and if you are also angry that you have to be online, if you do not have internet then you are either

Ok, let me explain to you the basic difference between lan and internet
LAN -
My computer -> My Friends Computer
Internet
My Computer -> ISP servers -> Blizz server -> ISP servers -> My Friends Computer
But ok, let's say that the server only uses matchmaking (don't know how it works), and it connects you directly to each other after it pairs you up (probably the case, but that creates additional problems)...
What if my router dies, what if my internet connection dies... What if I have a brother and we want to play while we wait for it to get back up?

Not having LAN play creates additional problems, and solves none.

Virgil:
straight AI versus matches require an account login

Am I the only person who noticed the "Versus AI" button on the single player menu?

Ewyx:

Captain Placeholder:

Oh boo hoo, you do not get your precious LAN games, wait a sec. I am not no brain surgeon but can't you just have your friends bring their PCs to your house or vice versa and all sign in to the wireless internet source and THEN play? I know that is what they do in a certain shop in my parts here... and if you are also angry that you have to be online, if you do not have internet then you are either

Ok, let me explain to you the basic difference between lan and internet
LAN -
My computer -> My Friends Computer
Internet
My Computer -> ISP servers -> Blizz server -> ISP servers -> My Friends Computer
But ok, let's say that the server only uses matchmaking (don't know how it works), and it connects you directly to each other after it pairs you up (probably the case, but that creates additional problems)...
What if my router dies, what if my internet connection dies... What if I have a brother and we want to play while we wait for it to get back up?

Not having LAN play creates additional problems, and solves none.

Thank you =)

I enjoy the game I was average at the first one and I think my skill is increasing. I love the practice league they put in there that was pretty helpful for a noob/part time player like myself. Single player story was, imo, pretty good though

All in all I was pretty happy I pick up this game :)

Zhukov:

Is it worth getting if I have no interest in multiplayer and kinda-sorta enjoyed the original?

Yeah, the campaign was a lot of fun and there are options for playing skirmishes against the A.I. if you'd like to.

ionveau:
the levels are just copy and pasted from WC3

Here's the thing, though - they're both RTSes, and they both have campaigns - how different do you expect each mission to be? Warcraft III's single-player had a lot to do with how well you used the abilities of your heroes, whereas there's only one level (that I've played) in Starcraft II that does this (I've only gone through the campaign once); Starcraft II has the in-between mission hub wherein you buy upgrades and hire mercenaries - something I don't remember having a Warcraft III equivalent. Level for level, anything can look the same, but then again, you can look at every game on earth and say "they're all the same, you push buttons until you win."

Xocrates:

Virgil:
straight AI versus matches require an account login

Am I the only person who noticed the "Versus AI" button on the single player menu?

I assumed he was right at first, since I didn't play any versus AI matches myself (and didn't play 'offline' either). I doublechecked though and updated my post. The Challenge maps are also available in single-player, and offline mode doesn't require a CD at all.

I'm actually wondering if the game will require 'reactivation' against the online servers every so often at this point. The DRM is so light once you have the game installed that it may as well not even be there (minus multiplayer, of course).

paketep:

BTW, the title for this should be "Review: StarCraft 2's Single Player"

We've covered SC2's multiplayer many, many times here. Here's all you need to know: It's fantastic, though very, very cutthroat.

DeadlyYellow:
Looks gorgeous, but I'll only buy the game when the battlechest is released.

Likewise, waiting for the BattleChest. The visuals don't impress me though, and I'd go as far as to call them a bit dated. They do have style though, even if it doesn't resonate with me.

ionveau:

Zhukov:

Haha, what? Copy-pasted from WC3? Son, you best be joking. WC3's mission design is positively archaic compared to SC2.

Online activation is the only DRM worth mentioning. You can play the campaign offline. LAN would have been nice, but let's be honest, it's outdated technology and will one day be obsolete (if it isn't already). This is an office full of hardcore gamers and none of us have LANned in years.

The only deserved complaints are at B.net, which needs some work - chat channels, cross-region play are the glaring standouts.

I bought StarCraft 2 on launch day. I CAN'T STOP PLAYING.

Also, I want Heart of the Swarm. Now. Pretty please.

paketep:

kingcom:

Nope. Blizzard is denying me and many others that pleasure.

Sure, No LAN sucks, but I would still buy this game, as this is probably one of the few RTS that I have truly enjoyed, along with the other Blizzard games, Warhammer 40K and Rome Total War.
I wouldn't miss this, for me it's the GOTY for me.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 19 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 59787)