Should Facebook Be Worried?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

" history has shown that Google does not simply enter new markets; Google dominates them."

...which is why Google Buzz is the social networking platform of choice, and everyone does their online shopping on Froogle instead of Amazon these days.

Dooly95:

oranger:
And we gamers are a step closer to the gamepocalypse, where "social games" become the norm, and we actual gamers are forced into tiny shops and corners and basements, like the tabletop pen and paper crowd was when video games hit the mainstream.
And we're helping it along.

... When were gamers looked upon as being anywhere normal? When did we play our games outside of our corners and basements?

I mean, sure, with the addition of Halo, there were some advancements to the main TV with a couple of beers, and with the introduction of the Wii, we had some good laughs at said TVs being broken. But these were more catered to the casual gamers. The industry is changing - we're not doing a thing, there's nothing we can do.

The move towards "the main TV with a couple of beers for halo" was a step towards casual play, not mainstreaming. And I don't know about you, but I've been an unashamed gamer my whole life, and never felt the need to hide in a basement, or never tell others.

mikespoff:
" history has shown that Google does not simply enter new markets; Google dominates them."

...which is why Google Buzz is the social networking platform of choice, and everyone does their online shopping on Froogle instead of Amazon these days.

Yeah, I wondered about that line...where's the proof of this, you know? the escapist generally has higher standards than that.

Let google enter the market of social gaming, it might save me some annoying farmville requests.

Fuck google, seriously I despise their evil company for trying to steal everyone's cookies and for trying to take over the internet.

oranger:

Dooly95:

oranger:
And we gamers are a step closer to the gamepocalypse, where "social games" become the norm, and we actual gamers are forced into tiny shops and corners and basements, like the tabletop pen and paper crowd was when video games hit the mainstream.
And we're helping it along.

... When were gamers looked upon as being anywhere normal? When did we play our games outside of our corners and basements?

I mean, sure, with the addition of Halo, there were some advancements to the main TV with a couple of beers, and with the introduction of the Wii, we had some good laughs at said TVs being broken. But these were more catered to the casual gamers. The industry is changing - we're not doing a thing, there's nothing we can do.

The move towards "the main TV with a couple of beers for halo" was a step towards casual play, not mainstreaming. And I don't know about you, but I've been an unashamed gamer my whole life, and never felt the need to hide in a basement, or never tell others.

I've phrased that wrong; I meant society hasn't looked upon gamers with such good notions.

I have a feeling that if this goes on, Facebook will be kicked off it's throne and replaced by Google. HOWEVER! If Google proceeds, they will gain a monopoly much like Facebook's or MySpace, or any other social networking site. They will also fall down the same hole they put Facebook in.

If they back out, Another social network site will find it's way to unseat Facebook, and gain the monopoly over that, possibly making it worse for Google if they become stronger than Facebook.

I would choose the first option if I were in Google's position, but Google might lose domination at this rate, and we can only hope they continue to dominate.

People thought myspace and bebo were too popular to die, those sites are dead if not on life-supoport. The same can easily happen to facebook. The attention-seeking masses will have their little bubble burst when it becomes a ghost town

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here