Escape to the Movies: The Other Guys

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The Other Guys

This week MovieBob takes a look at The Other Guys.

Watch Video

Oh Dwayne Johnson, how you have fallen.

He probably realized that most people just saw him as "That guy that kinda looks like Vin Diesel" early on and decided to move on to the parody stuff fast.

Will Ferrel used to make such funny films.

It's a shame that all ended...

I wish he had done Despicable Me. I'm trying to decide if that film is worth seeing.
Loved the dig at Family Guy!
I'm soooooooooo disappointed with Rock now.

Will he be doing the expendables next week or the week after?

Nice to see Extra Credits has its precedents amongst some of the other reviewers on this site! They deserve their rep IMO.

Anyways it's been an eternity since I saw a buddy cop comedy. I think I'll give this movie a go.

Eh, I might see it. I like a good buddy cop comedy. And: Daniel Floyd shoutout FTW!

I listened to the opening monologue and thought, "Wow... Bob nails it again."

GamesB2:
Will Ferrel used to make such funny films.

It's a shame that all ended...

I think he kinda reached his zenith with Anchorman. I bloody love Anchorman.

Is it me or is this something along the lines of the 'High School Musical' of Comedy films?

Hubilub:

He probably realized that most people just saw him as "That guy that kinda looks like Vin Diesel" early on and decided to move on to the parody stuff fast.

It's a living. And being Vin Diesel Lite's gotta be a better gig than being a wrestler, since someone does your stunts for you.

I was going to give this one a pass. Thanks for the confirmation though, Bob.

Also, hilarious Batman and Robin pic at the end there.

So it basically a SNL skit that is a movie? No real point but to make jokes that can only work once?

So its just another OK comedy? Enjoyable but easily forgettable? Just as I suspected.

Maybe I'll skip it and see Dinner For Schmucks instead. Now that looks like a good comedy.

Sinclose:
Nice to see Extra Credits has its precedents amongst some of the other reviewers on this site! They deserve their rep IMO.

Anyways it's been an eternity since I saw a buddy cop comedy. I think I'll see give this movie a go.

That's a funny thing, I actually thought Movie Bob -was- Daniel Floyd at one point, only that he'd been using some kind of voice distortion to differentiate the two shows.

Could just be my ears, but despite the sound, they both have a very similar mode of presentation and delivery.

Do you smell, what the rock, Is cooking?

Surprised hes in the movie though, maybe ill go see it.

I'm still hoping that the Rock gets that actual career he's been spoofing all this time. The man is a remarkably charismatic action star.

you know, i have to admit i probably wont see it. (have waaay too many movies i need to see through netflix) but if the rock is in it i just might give it a chance. i mean.. come on people... the rock. whats not to love?

Whats so wrong with the rock wanting to have fun with his career?
He seems like a good guy and should be allowed to have fun with comedy movies mixing with action movies. Do you remember the name of another action/comedy hero who did this?
Thats right, Arnold Schwartzeneger. That that turned out pretty good for him and for us as the audience, so let Dwayne Johnstone cut loose with a few goofy movies every now and again.
Besides they aren't all bad, seriously give Race to Witch Mountain a look and tell me the rock isnt good in that movie... Nothing Oscar winning, but nothing horrible. I was trapped on a plane with that movie and honestly his willingness to accept that role made the flight just "fly" by.
Now if you don't mind im going to put on some shades while someone plays a who song in the background.

Starke:
I'm still hoping that the Rock gets that actual career he's been spoofing all this time. The man is a remarkably charismatic action star.

I have to agree with this. He was fantastic in The Rundown, (though he had a lot of help) and I've been hoping since then that he'd be able to bring that back, sadly.. still waiting.

Well I wasn't going to see this movie anyway. I refuse to watch anything with Will Ferrel in it.

I think The Rock is playing up the laughable ultra buff guy roll. We expect people who look like him to be mean and ultra serious, so when he shakes up our preconceptions we get a good laugh out of it. I think he is parodying our expectations of him rather than the few "serious" action movies he made.

clearly a renter. Either that, or get bombed and watch it in the theater. Hate to be the guy who is the designated driver in that scenario, tho.

Does anybody else find it interesting that Steve Carell- once the sidekick- has gone zooming past Will Ferrell in success?

Of course, Elf, Old School, and Anchorman were great fun, as well as the 'Landlady stuff' on FoD.

And Sucker Punch...

OH MY.

The Rock had the action hero role. it was called "4 time WWF heavyweight champion of the world, The ROCK. CAN YOU SMMMMEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! WHAT. THE ROCK. IS. COOKING?" He didn't wear that speedo for no reason.

also will ferrell hasn't been funny since Anchorman. Semi-pro, blades of glory, talladega nights, and i'm assuming the other guys, are just rehashes of the same generic plot lines. If ferrell and wahlberg don't at some point end up off the case but find some key peice of eveidence that forces them to go above and beyond the call of duty to solve the case i'll eat my shoe.

I thought it was a little weird how Bob missed out on Sucker Punch. I had to look up the word "piqued" and I found two meanings: one was about excitement, the other was about irritation.
I'm gonna assume Bob went with the former, because I certainly did.

Mark Whalberg was fantastic in The Departed, a hugely over rated movie that only watchable due to a few stand out scenes and Mark Whalbergs comedy timing (seriously its like Topher Grace is on the set or something).

Oh dear Batman, you better have come with some T-Rex repellent bat spray!.

I was anticipating this movie, then *eagerly* anticipating this movie, then NEEDING this movie... then the trailer came out. Will Ferrell is quickly plummeting towards my "least favourite actor" status currently held by Channing Tatum. I haven't liked any of his films since aught six and I've seen much of his crap since then. Here's hoping this film changes that.

Great review, but I gotta disagree. I haven't seen any buddy cop movies in a while (I blocked out Cop Out from my mind) and Will Ferrell made some of my favorite movies, like Step Brothers, Talldega Nights, and Blades of Glory.

canadamus_prime:
Well I wasn't going to see this movie anyway. I refuse to watch anything with Will Ferrel in it.

There's a movie with him as an IRS agent who is simultaneously a doomed character in a novel and has gained the ability to hear the narrator. It's actually, oddly funny, and reflects that he can actually, you know, act.

Hubilub:

Your so full of it, Dwayne Johnson is pretty good example how actors should act anyway.
The guy isn't a mental case and Big Bob IMO had it wrong he isn't parodying his acting career I would think it would be his wrestling one since he was the baddest WWF guy there was for awhile. The guy has a had a awesome career and it should be respected. He's played action, to gay tough guy, he even did kids movies!!!

BTW, There can be more than one bad ass actor at once. Dwayne Johnson looks likr Vin Diesel about as much as Jason Statham looks like Bruce Willis

Is it just me or is Dwayne Johnson actually a decent actor? I loved The Scorpion King, The Rundown and Walking Tall, and Get Smart had him in a good role. I can't be the only person to think that he's actually an alright actor.

As to this particular movie......eh. The trailers never caught my attention, so I wasn't planning on going to see it anyway.

You know, every time I see Will Ferrell's name, I always think "Oh, Will Ferrell! I like that guy!" and then I remember Semi-Pro... and Land of the Lost... and Step Brothers... I might end up skipping this one so I can see Scott Pilgrim and the Expendables next week.

Hubilub:

Fun fact when bob showed the clip of him on top of the car I thought "Wait vin diesel is in this!?" Then got disappointed when I saw it wasn't actually vin..

We had entirely too many buddy cop movies in the 80s. When the Police Academy well started to run dry and people had enough of Eddie Murphy, they turned to partnering cops with animals like Turner and Hooch... before they jumped the shark with Whoopi and that stupid dinosaur...

The funny buddy cop movie has been done to death for at least two decades. Slapping two different people into the same formula doesn't change the outcome, you still end up with crap. I haven't found Farrell to be funny in anything, aside from a few SNL skits. The guy often tries to hard to be "genuine" to the role he plays, and it really takes me out of it. And Wahlberg has been playing up the "serious" role so much in his movies that it is almost like he is spoofing himself anymore in his movies of being the hard-boiled action go-to guy when you can't afford Vin Diesel.

And the Rock? Who ever took this guy as a serious actor anyway? I haven't seen a wrestler-turned-actor make a decent film ever. At least with him making fun of himself gives him a somewhat different edge to seeing him on-screen in anything.

This movie looked stupid from the start. I hate when the commercials for it come on tv, much like that Scott Pilgrim piece of crap they are throwing too much attention at. What's with that kid and these over-the-top unbelievable movie premises anyway? If this is the direction that comedy is going, I'll stick to doing dick and fart jokes for stoners until I die.

I had nearly no interest in The Other Guys and my opinion has basically stayed the same

also I've seen the Sucker Punch trailer and I've tried to explain to people at my work why they should watch the trailer, but the trailer is so inexplicable I can't come up with a real reason beyond "it is crazy, you should watch it!"

I wonder what movie he'll do next week. The action team epic The Expendables or the geek's choice Scott Pilgrim vs the World. I hope we get a review double feature.

I really liked Mark Whalberg in Four Brothers, I haven't seen him in many other movies though. He seems like a good actor, but just doesn't land himself appropriate roles anymore.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here