Escape to the Movies: The Other Guys

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

So its nowhere near as good as Hot Fuzz?

Thats good cos thats what I saw in the trailer...an American wannabe rip-off of Hot Fuzz (best movie ever in my opinion). Dont get me wrong, ill still see this but im glad that its not a wham bam must-see movie...like Hot Fuzz was!

Starke:
I'm still hoping that the Rock gets that actual career he's been spoofing all this time. The man is a remarkably charismatic action star.

Amen.

sucker punch looks cool

How come so many people on the internet don't get that many parts of The Happening were funny because they were supposed to be? The same thing happened with Lost. Campiness can be appreciated for itself. The piece doesn't have to tell you it's being campy and neither do your friends. It's best when it's self evident without any commentary. Viewers take everything way too seriously nowadays. You groan and cringe when a movie does something you don't expect, when you should be smiling.

This movie has all my favourite actors, and I can't think of reason to NOT to go watch this movie.

Bob, I think you missed the point of this movie. To each his own, I guess.

Extra Credit does deserve praise, thanks for spreading the word Bob!

I've seen trailers for this movie and thought that it seemed pretty dry. I didn't know the Rock was in it though. Huh...

In anycase, that was an epic way to end a video. Batman fighting a Dinosaur.

Awesome!

kalt_13:
sucker punch looks cool

German World War weapons and Dragons are always awesome. Now this has caught my interest as well.

Yeh it was called Stranger than Fiction and it was not only a decent film but he brought a real charismatic and funny edge to his character. I think this film sounds great, I much prefer silly balls out action films to pseudo-intellectual crap like Inception, a film I bet movieBob loved. My friend calls it "hamburger for the brain", a phrase that might sound slightly condescending but is not when used for films that know what they are.

Moviebob may have panned it, but wow, I really wanna see that movie now. Will Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg in a comedy role, Sam Jackson... that's a winning formula in my mind.

And sure, old Ferrell's had a few busts lately, but for the most part he's been pretty damn good. Anybody watch Stranger than Fiction?

Be thankful it is not one of the "Scary Movie" type parodies although they are overdue in making a cop/procedural drama paroday (the Naked Gun ran it into the ground.)

The Rock is well are of his limitations as an actor. Would like to see Michael Clarke Duncan in more stuff as he didn't do much after the Green Mile, the footage of him hearing he was nominated for an Oscar is still one of my favourite clips ever.

I'm glad I saw this movie before this review. I generally agree with Bob's reviews, but I think he's wrong about this one. A friend and I laughed all the way through this movie, and we walked out trying to figure out which of the lines was the best. I can easily see us quoting it a week from now. I don't regret giving up the price of admission at all.

I just saw this movie, and I thought it was surprisingly funny. Granted it's not an excellent movie but the jokes are hilarious and there are some memorable lines.

So... What exactly could have been funnier if it had been 'R'? Just curious.

My sincere gratitude, Movie Bob. And apologies. You have to sit through one piece of dreck after another so I don't have to.

Greater love hath no man than he should suffer for another...

I just got back from seeing this movie and thought it was funny as hell.

H'mmm. In that case, if I want to watch a "mis-matched pair" cop flick I'll just stick Hot Fuzz in the DVD drive. Cornetto?

Hmm...I think I'll just watch Hot Fuzz again...=D

I liked the movie. I was consistent in its comedy, and even though it wasn't anything uproariously funny, it made it nice because they usually surround that joke with other jokes that I find just as funny, but miss them because of the other people in the theater. Long story short, I liked it more than he did.

Glad at least the Bob acknowledged the existence of Land of the Lost which, IMO, was the more egregious case of childhood rape than Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen which came out that same year. Maybe some of you are too young to remember that show, but I was a little tyke in the 1970's (yes, I'm dating myself) and it was one of my faves. Yes, the production values and special effects were pretty much on par with an episode of Doctor Who from that same era, but it offered up a pretty heady story premise for the time (predating Lost by 3 decades) and had episodes written by noted Science Fiction writers like Larry Niven, Ben Bova, David Gerrold and D.C. Fontana. It was remarkably high-concept for its time, both as a children's program and TV in general. Then the Will Ferrell movie came along and took a big huge dump on it. (I've never been fond of Ferrell myself. I find him to be more annoying than anything, and his doing that movie made me like him even less).

Say what you will about ROTF. I was in my early teens when the Transformers cartoon came out in the 80's, and looking at the Bay movies, in tone and mentality they aren't too far removed from it. The cartoon was big, dumb fun, and Michael Bay to me looks like he approached the movies with the same attitude (right down to nonsensical plotting and technical goofs that plagued ROTF, but that's another discussion). For all the bitching everyone makes about the Transformers movies, from where I stand at least they're more faithful in spirit and tone to the old cartoons they were based on, which is more than I can say for Land of the Lost.

See here is the thing. When Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson does funny movies like this, he is continuing an ongoing joke for wrestling fans. You see, the character of "The Rock" was a parody of "babyfaces" in 90s era WCW. The WWE fans knew this, and he played it so well that they loved him for it. He is not parodying his "action" career, he is parodying EVERYONE's action career. Dwayne Johnson is a rather intelligent man. And, I think, a decent actor. And his comedic timing is near flawless. Remember, his entire wrestling career was one big running gag, so he knows what the audience likes.

Micheal Keaton is hilarious when he tries to be. Samuel L. Jackson makes almost any movie watchable. Still haven't sat through Snakes on a Plane, but that is one blemish on a stellar acting career. And you wanna talk about funny actors? Samuel Jackson is not only a very funny man and a true badass IRL, but he is also very funny on film. And I personally love it when Mark Wahlberg is in a comedy. He is a great actor and has very good comedic timing as well. The only reason I won't bother with seeing this in the theater is because Will Ferrel stars in it. If he was capable of doing something other than Frank "The Tank" in his movies, he could be a major box office draw. As it stands, however, he should be relegated to doing cameos and one or two scenes in a movie. He is just too over-the-top to star in a movie. Same thing happened to Rob Cordry. Once he had a major role in Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanimo Bay, he is no longer funny. Even in a movie where NPH brands a hooker, Rob was too much. Definite rental material, though.

Nomanslander:
Hmm...I think I'll just watch Hot Fuzz again...=D

Yes. This all the way. I have two copies of that movie for when my first one wears out.

My interestest has also been "piqued" in regards to Sucker Punch.

Video crashed the window three times for me

I saw this movie last night, and it is very funny. I really don't see how "it is forgettable" is such a sin for movies nowadays.
If you want to go to a movie, have some fun, have some laughs then this is movie is worth the ticket prices. If you want to be moved, or rocked to your core in a meaningful way that will stay with you for the rest of your life you aren't going to be seeing a comedy anyways.

kalt_13:
sucker punch looks cool

This looks cool. Let's hope it's better than the "just decent" Watchmen movie.

OT: I saw The Other Guys last night, it was hilarious. Go see it with your friends, it is definitely worth the ticket price.

Callate:

Without a doubt this movie would have been funnier with a few Fbombs thrown in by Sam jackson.

wonkify:
My sincere gratitude, Movie Bob. And apologies. You have to sit through one piece of dreck after another so I don't have to.

Greater love hath no man than he should suffer for another...

You know he said the movie was funny, right? He just said it was not a big deal...far from dreck.

Go watch the movie. It's fun.

who here wants moviebob to review scott pilgrim cause im split between wanting to see it or not

Callate:

more freedom for dirty jokes

I can't wait to see this movie. I love Will Ferral in everything he does. Besides there is no way this could be worse than Semi Pro and I still loved that movie.

I'm not to sure about this movie...but I'll watch anything with Will Ferrel! =]

I love Police Academy & SNL only sucked in the 70s & the 2000s.

But yeah, buddy cop comedies suck balls & I can't believe Kevin Smith agreed to direct one.

Starke:
I'm still hoping that the Rock gets that actual career he's been spoofing all this time. The man is a remarkably charismatic action star.

did u watch him wrestle

I think they just put Dwayne Johnson in it to make women like me uncomfortable. The only reason I would see this movie in in the hopes that he takes his shirt off, and that makes me feel pathetic. I'm attracted to actors like Gary Oldman, Matthew Macfayden and Alan Rickman, for crying out loud! They have sexy voices and they're versatile and play intelligent complex...

Dwayne Johnson has a really great body.

I'm no better than a teenage boy with a Megan Fox poster. I am ashamed.

RagnorakTres:
Is it just me or is Dwayne Johnson actually a decent actor? I loved The Scorpion King, The Rundown and Walking Tall, and Get Smart had him in a good role. I can't be the only person to think that he's actually an alright actor.

As to this particular movie......eh. The trailers never caught my attention, so I wasn't planning on going to see it anyway.

I have seen several different movie genres with Dwayne Johnson and he does a great job in all of the film roles I have personally seen. The fact that he can play diverse roles, make fun of himself a little, but still come off as a respectable guy is pretty cool.

I really like Mark Walhberg's acting as well because he seems to pull off good roles consistently.

However, the fact that Will Ferrel is in this makes me hold back vomiting after the resurfacing of repressed images of him streaking or otherwise showing WAAAAAAY too much skin in his films. He's not funny, just annoying at this point in his career. He needs to do something that isn't flat out stupid and gross.

the lapalminator:

Starke:

did u watch him wrestle

Honestly, nope. I've never been a fan of professional wrestling at all.

SelectivelyEvil13:
However, the fact that Will Ferrel is in this makes me hold back vomiting after the resurfacing of repressed images of him streaking or otherwise showing WAAAAAAY too much skin in his films. He's not funny, just annoying at this point in his career. He needs to do something that isn't flat out stupid and gross.

The sad fact is, he can be really funny when he isn't acting like he's still on SNL. Stranger than Fiction was actually a surprisingly good film, with him actually being funny while still coming across (mostly) as an adult.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here