Review: BlazBlue: Continuum Shift

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Review: BlazBlue: Continuum Shift

The weirdest modern fighting game gets a little bit weirder.

Read Full Article

I'm loving the new "joke" endings for each character in Story Mode.

The Tapioca Queen!

And the "Teach Me, Professor Kokonoe" episodes when you get the "bad ending".

I'm failing each story TWICE on purpose to see both the bad ending, and the joke ending.

If you haven't seen any of the joke endings, Funk, you simply HAVE to.

Oh, here's some music for those too lazy to look up the AWESOME:

It's...madness...Once I started embedding songs, I couldn't stop. And Bang is outside the spoiler box on purpose.

He's so badass, he gets a second theme when he transforms.

Hehe, keeping with the tradition which is great. Should be something to try and button mash with! =D

Platform(s): Xbox 360, PS3

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I liked the part where the announcer says "REBEL: ONE!". Translation: "my english is so bad that we've decided to change the whole word into what it sounds like".

bang still has the most rocking song's in the game : gale and his super mode song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_IVppjwpRg

for those who havnt heard it.

Their also that new legion mode. Which is alright.

Does anyone else think DLC characters for fighting games is one of the best ideas ever. Finally Balance and new characters that doesn't cost 40-60 dollars when that s all that changed.

thefreeman0001:
bang still has the most rocking song's in the game : gale and his super mode song!

BANG BANG BANG BAAAANG!!!!

EDIT: Fair warning the ending has a bit of narm (for definition: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Narm )
and I do have to correct mister Funk the plot is not impossible to understand just hard, but it is interesting. Anyone else feel sorry for Lambda?

Well, I'm definitely gonna pick this up now. Only one thing is stopping me from doing so though; the fact that every Game Stop I've been to in my area seems to not have a copy (I've also been trying to find Star Ocean: The Last Hope International, but that search is going poorly as well).

Good grief Blazblue Doesn't like Europe, it's only been a month or two that I bought the first one on release date and completed it.

Anyway great review and it looks awesome, as if you'll get to play as the vampire butler soon!!

It is really a shame that three characters come only as DLC.

I loved the original, and wasn't planning on getting this, since it just seemed like mostly the same game, but I think actually seeing some of the new additions really changed my mind. This game just moved way up on my priority list.

Ken_J:
Their also that new legion mode. Which is alright.

Does anyone else think DLC characters for fighting games is one of the best ideas ever. Finally Balance and new characters that doesn't cost 40-60 dollars when that s all that changed.

thefreeman0001:

BANG BANG BANG BAAAANG!!!!

EDIT: Fair warning the ending has a bit of narm (for definition: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Narm )
and I do have to correct mister Funk the plot is not impossible to understand just hard, but it is interesting. Anyone else feel sorry for Lambda?

Could be. Except that this game essentially does just that: balance and new characters for $40. It has a few new modes, but I would have easily taken the new mode as a separate dlc pack.

Still, the tutorial alone has me intrigued. And for new players, this looks like a must buy if you like street fighting games.

Blazblue is my favorite fighting game. I'll likely be getting this one eventually.

Thats it! I must get this game!

I've never played any of the others, but seeing some gameplay footage has me wanting to try it out. And now they have a cheaper updated version, it seems like the perfect time to get it.

Rafe:
Good grief Blazblue Doesn't like Europe, it's only been a month or two that I bought the first one on release date and completed it.

Anyway great review and it looks awesome, as if you'll get to play as the vampire butler soon!!

Europe is getting an awesome LE version of the title that the US is not getting. BlazBlue is loving you guys just fine :D

Blazblue: Calamity Trigger is easily one of my favorite games in recent memory, and after seeing the new additions I'm not really sure if I should get this one. The new characters sound fun, the veterans are getting more moves and balance tweaks, and the tutorial mode sounds very helpful. I may have to rent it first to try out the new tweaks first.

Hey AKSYS!! PC version, NOW!! Or at the very least another PSP port. Until then I have to settle with the "PC version" of the game. I mean dammit, Europe got a PC version so what gives.

Ken_J:

Aye, I did feel rather bad in general playing through Lambdas story, and even moreso when you see the true ending. And the plot is actually heavens above other fighting games, in that it actually has one, and makes each characters endings, good or bad, canon.

As for the fighters, did you really just say you were disappointed in not having as many as SF4? Each character in Blazblue is unique, each one has a completely different style of fighting. Sorry if they didn't feel like taking Ragna, then copy-paste his move set to several different characters, where the only real difference is one is in a pink trench coat, the other is in a white, and the other is excessively moody and angry, and in a black trench coat.

And I'd say the game is easily worth the price of 40$ It provides a hell of a lot more content than SSF4, and the first DLC character, Makoto, is a fun and unique furball of destruction, love her astral. I can't wait to see what the next two characters are.

At an upcoming anime convention, my brothers girlfriend is dressing up as neol vermillion, and shes got the perfect body for it! =D
Blazblue is awesome for many reasons. Its almost completely balanced, and the story runs the range from "Shit be goin down" to "WTF silly" as it should be in fighting games.
And Thank the video game deities for training mode.

I bought and completed Calamity Trigger recently and I can't wait to get this game. I'm going to main the shit out of Hazama, who (if you can't tell from my avatar) is my favorite character.

Onyx Oblivion:
I'm loving the new "joke" endings for each character in Story Mode.

The Tapioca Queen!

And the "Teach Me, Professor Kokonoe" episodes when you get the "bad ending".

I'm failing each story TWICE on purpose to see both the bad ending, and the joke ending.

If you haven't seen any of the joke endings, Funk, you simply HAVE to.

Oh, here's some music for those too lazy to look up the AWESOME:

It's...madness...Once I started embedding songs, I couldn't stop. And Bang is outside the spoiler box on purpose.

He's so badass, he gets a second theme when he transforms.

Such amazing songs...And now they're all downloaded!

I would have to disagree with Mr. Funk's criticism of Blazblue Continuum Shift's lack of characters on two reasons:

1) programming hi-def 2D characters is much more difficult than programming 3D ones, which is why SSF4 did 2.5D as opposed to 2D

2) The majority of new characters for SSF4 aren't really new characters in and of themselves. Besides Juri and Hakan, all of the other new characters have made previous appearances in previous SF games. Thus, I consider these characters to be old returning characters, not new ones. Therefore, a more accurate description for SSF4 would be two new characters and eight old returning characters.

Yes, i want a PC version too. We got SF4 and it was good. We'll hopefully get the SSF4 (and it will be good). But where is the PC for this game? It apparently doesn't take much to port the 360 version to the PC.

A nice review but while it does have some hang ups Blazblue is without a doubt the most balanced and engaging fighter out there.Those that feel that the game is unbalanced right now only have to wait a couple more months for the balance patch. Arc is also showing themselves as pioneers by having DLC characters for a fighter.

For those disappointed in the concept of DLC characters you gotta realize that this adds longevity to the game. I'm sure having the opportunity to buy any of the 3 extra characters is far more appealing than paying for another game soon after release.

It's a great game and all fans of 2D fighters really need to give it a shot. And yes, the music is some of the best in any game ever. Even the DLC characters get themes added. Since Makoto's was posted here's the themes for the other two DLC charas, Valkenhayn and Platinum.

Just when you thought it was safe to look at a squirrel..... I'll skip the obvious "buring my nuts" joke.

I always found the music is BlazeBlue like being hit repeatedly over the head by an electric guitar shaped like Japan. In other words, freaking awesome.

Wow... That ST reminds me like a GOOD version of the Sauerbraten music.

sadly, I can't get this game.

):

I Only have PS2/XBOX 1

I fail.

Really need to pick up Calamity Trigger, i feel i'm missing out on some OTT awesomeness

WHAT?

I FINALLY manage to get 1/3rd of the way through "Calamity Trigger" and they've brought out another one? Damnit, now I've got two of them to obsess about; I'm never leaving the house again.

On a positive note: yey, more Blazblue! I hope that I can buy the soundtrack to this one somewhere like I did with the last one.

Scrumpmonkey:
Just when you thought it was safe to look at a squirrel..... I'll skip the obvious "buring my nuts" joke.

I always found the music is BlazeBlue like being hit repeatedly over the head by an electric guitar shaped like Japan. In other words, freaking awesome.

They exaggerated the squirrel a little bit didn't they? I know it's a Japanese game but they could have just given her a cool outfit instead. None of the new guys look cool so I guess I'll still play as Carl.

Good review. I actually haven't played too much with the tutorial mode, but Legion mode that they added seems to be horribly more difficult than anything else in the game D:

Awesome stuff. I loved the first game and put the entire soundtrack on my iPod. Zen United (the guys who distribute BlazBlue/Guilty Gear in Europe) recently had a Fan edition of this on their store. It was basically the limited edition which also came with a Makoto download code, and a Noel nendoroid figure. I went to pre-order one, but they sold out as only 500 were being made.

So now I'm looking for another Noel figure

Oh God, I just bought the original BB today! How odd.

Sadly CS isn't out in the UK 'till October, and the BB special edition was only 15 quid so I though I might as well give it a go.

So the game adds 3 new characters, and then I have to buy the rest as DLC?

Why couldn't they have just put them all up as DLC for the god damn original game and released a balance patch? This is such a money grab.

AC10:
So the game adds 3 new characters, and then I have to buy the rest as DLC?

Why couldn't they have just put them all up as DLC for the god damn original game and released a balance patch? This is such a money grab.

Oh boo hoo, least they didn't repackage the same game/story/everything, but make you pay 40$ just for a few new characters.

This is actually a NEW game, and with the 3 DLC characters the price of the game itself and them is actually slightly cheaper than a 60$ game.

The review mentioned a character who's existence is a spoiler...who is it? =)

Also, I'm no expert on the lore, but that multi-personality chick came out of nowhere, right?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here