Review: BlazBlue: Continuum Shift

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

cursedseishi:

AC10:
So the game adds 3 new characters, and then I have to buy the rest as DLC?

Why couldn't they have just put them all up as DLC for the god damn original game and released a balance patch? This is such a money grab.

Oh boo hoo, least they didn't repackage the same game/story/everything, but make you pay 40$ just for a few new characters.

This is actually a NEW game, and with the 3 DLC characters the price of the game itself and them is actually slightly cheaper than a 60$ game.

Well, being used to steam sale prices paying more than $20 seems like a scam now a days :P

AC10:

cursedseishi:

AC10:

Why couldn't they have just put them all up as DLC for the god damn original game and released a balance patch? This is such a money grab.

Oh boo hoo, least they didn't repackage the same game/story/everything, but make you pay 40$ just for a few new characters.

This is actually a NEW game, and with the 3 DLC characters the price of the game itself and them is actually slightly cheaper than a 60$ game.

Well, being used to steam sale prices paying more than $20 seems like a scam now a days :P

Heh, well I can't argue that... when they sell off 20-30 games for just 80-100 bucks... its pretty hard to argue... :P

Ken_J:
and I do have to correct mister Funk the plot is not impossible to understand just hard, but it is interesting. Anyone else feel sorry for Lambda?

If you don't feel SOMETHING during some of the more tearjerking moments (like Carl's story for instance) then I am convinced that you have no soul.

Oh and the squirrel girl is up for download and she is FUCKING AWESOME!

poiumty:

Platform(s): Xbox 360, PS3

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I liked the part where the announcer says "REBEL: ONE!". Translation: "my english is so bad that we've decided to change the whole word into what it sounds like".

You can get the PC version, but it's just the arcade version as modern arcade cabinets run on a modified version of XP.
No mention of some of the more major re-balancings like Taeger's dramatically improved magnetism? Atomic collider can pull from halfway across the stage!

-Seraph-:
Hey AKSYS!! PC version, NOW!! Or at the very least another PSP port. Until then I have to settle with the "PC version" of the game. I mean dammit, Europe got a PC version so what gives.

The Japanese don't seem to like PC gamers do they?

Igen:
At an upcoming anime convention, my brothers girlfriend is dressing up as neol vermillion, and shes got the perfect body for it! =D
Blazblue is awesome for many reasons. Its almost completely balanced, and the story runs the range from "Shit be goin down" to "WTF silly" as it should be in fighting games.
And Thank the video game deities for training mode.

That is an insult to her breasts sir!

AC10:

It seems like the ran out of time to make them rather than a money grab I have to say.

Ken_J:

Igen:
At an upcoming anime convention, my brothers girlfriend is dressing up as neol vermillion, and shes got the perfect body for it! =D
Blazblue is awesome for many reasons. Its almost completely balanced, and the story runs the range from "Shit be goin down" to "WTF silly" as it should be in fighting games.
And Thank the video game deities for training mode.

That is an insult to her breasts sir!

To be fair, Noel has a healthy dose of cute-pretty to make up for it. All the jokes made about Noel's breasts are probably some of the blush-funniest moments in the game. Second place goes to all the jokes about Lichi's breasts.

Come to think of it, how can Lichi do all of those things with her staff without whacking herself across the tits every time?

child of lileth:
I loved the original, and wasn't planning on getting this, since it just seemed like mostly the same game, but I think actually seeing some of the new additions really changed my mind. This game just moved way up on my priority list.

Seems we are on the same boat, I wish you better luck then me though, since I dared to have waited on this game, it is now impossible to find in my area, well, to tell the truth, it is impossible to find it on the right console, just to tease me. Though this review made me remember a possibility I forgot.. the internet. Hello you who read this.

AC10:

Because they weren't done in time? Placeholder data is on the disc but characters aren't. They released gameplay for Makoto around CS's Japanese release and she looked buggy as all hell. There's nothing at all, not even release dates for the other two.

They could either have delayed the game or the go with this more logical option. Release the three characters that aren't done via DLC. The beauty of it is that if you have no desire to play as any of them, you don't have to download them. And for the people that do they end up paying barely over the normal price of a game these days to get all 3. It's a pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

Arisato-kun:

AC10:

Because they weren't done in time? Placeholder data is on the disc but characters aren't. They released gameplay for Makoto around CS's Japanese release and she looked buggy as all hell. There's nothing at all, not even release dates for the other two.

They could either have delayed the game or the go with this more logical option. Release the three characters that aren't done via DLC. The beauty of it is that if you have no desire to play as any of them, you don't have to download them. And for the people that do they end up paying barely over the normal price of a game these days to get all 3. It's a pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

Exactly what I said we don't even no how Platinum and Valkenhyan play all we have are their select screen pictures and themes.

On a related not all the DLC characters where characters from the first game that got bigger roles. This makes me think that with Relius's and Jubei's Ascension from background characters we are going to get them as playable characters sooner or latter. Or at least I hoping.

Ken_J:

Arisato-kun:

AC10:

Exactly what I said we don't even no how Platinum and Valkenhyan play all we have are their select screen pictures and themes.

On a related not all the DLC characters where characters from the first game that got bigger roles. This makes me think that with Relius's and Jubei's Ascension from background characters we are going to get them as playable characters sooner or latter. Or at least I hoping.

Jubei's been hinted as playable in the third installment. Mori wanted characters that were more relevant to the story to be playable first. Makoto, Valk and Platinum fit the bill better than Jubei.

Well, Platinum and Makoto fit that bill, not so much for Valkenhayn as he's hardly done anything plot-wise except being Rachel's butler. Still, looking forward to him and what he'll do in the next installment (whenever that's out)

Arisato-kun:

Ken_J:

Arisato-kun:

AC10:

Jubei's been hinted as playable in the third installment. Mori wanted characters that were more relevant to the story to be playable first. Makoto, Valk and Platinum fit the bill better than Jubei.

But Relius is very relevant even if he is a prick, but he would probably would be a Carl pallet swap.

Aiddon:
Well, Platinum and Makoto fit that bill, not so much for Valkenhayn as he's hardly done anything plot-wise except being Rachel's butler. Still, looking forward to him and what he'll do in the next installment (whenever that's out)

Ken_J:

Arisato-kun:

Ken_J:

But Relius is very relevant even if he is a prick, but he would probably would be a Carl pallet swap.

But he pretty much did nothing. He was more of a shadow and pretty much there for some resolution to Arakune and Carl's side stories, just like Jubei was a mentor that only fought once against a currently less plot relevant character.

Relius will be more relevant later. But right now he shows up too little to be important enough.

Arisato-kun:

Aiddon:

Arguable, but still not quite enough because even Relius has more screen time and significance than the old-timer does. He's more background due to being one of the Six Heroes which will probably come into play in the next installment, though since he does nothing without Rachel's consent that's going to be interesting to pull off

cursedseishi:

AC10:

Yeah and the developers stated that they dont intend to release another BB gaem for a while and patches and DLC would be the way to update the game. I think its a nice improvement, compared to the Guilty Gear franchise of theirs.

Is it a good idea to get this game if I haven't played the first one?

Thick:
The review mentioned a character who's existence is a spoiler...who is it? =)

Also, I'm no expert on the lore, but that multi-personality chick came out of nowhere, right?

It is...

Kheapathic:

Thick:

Also, I'm no expert on the lore, but that multi-personality chick came out of nowhere, right?

It is...

-Seraph-:

Kheapathic:

Thick:

It is...

Aiddon:

Arisato-kun:

Aiddon:

Arguable, but still not quite enough because even Relius has more screen time and significance than the old-timer does. He's more background due to being one of the Six Heroes which will probably come into play in the next installment, though since he does nothing without Rachel's consent that's going to be interesting to pull off

Though Relius had more screen time he did less as a character overall. He'll definitely have more significance later on. Plus let's consider gameplay issues. Arc probably doesn't know how to make Relius differ from Carl while Valkenhayn's kickass werewolf powers will be easier to pull off and probably better received by the fanbase.

Me, a year ago.

"Okay so I'm playing as Rachel, one of the best characters in the game. I'd best balance that out. This Tager guy looks pretty shitty, I'll play him as well."

Me, today.

I ordered Calamity Trigger from the US when I got my PS3, and though I'm getting this one, I think I'll wait till it's come out here.

you got me at warewolf butler john funk :)

From what I hear the DLC characters are like $10 each which I think is to high. But I may be wrong.

Arisato-kun:

Though Relius had more screen time he did less as a character overall. He'll definitely have more significance later on. Plus let's consider gameplay issues. Arc probably doesn't know how to make Relius differ from Carl while Valkenhayn's kickass werewolf powers will be easier to pull off and probably better received by the fanbase.

Oh I totally agree that he makes issues with gameplay as him and Ignis would just be a copy-paste of Carl. Though if I remember right Relius HIMSELF never fights, letting Ignis do all the work. Also I think Valkenhayn, according to the artbook, fights using mostly kicks. The werewolf thing is also unconfirmed, though the design of his crest and the name of his theme lends credence to that theory.

Eric the Orange:
From what I hear the DLC characters are like $10 each which I think is to high. But I may be wrong.

It's $7 each and they come with their Unlimited Form, all color palettes, Challenges, and tutorials, though they don't have a story mode and aren't playable in Legion or Arcade.

Im glad I forgot to pick the first Blazblue up. I will now pick this one up in *looks at Game.co.uk* 87 days. I can wait I still have Guilty Gear to hold me over.

Baldry:

Onyx Oblivion:
I'm loving the new "joke" endings for each character in Story Mode.

The Tapioca Queen!

And the "Teach Me, Professor Kokonoe" episodes when you get the "bad ending".

I'm failing each story TWICE on purpose to see both the bad ending, and the joke ending.

If you haven't seen any of the joke endings, Funk, you simply HAVE to.

Oh, here's some music for those too lazy to look up the AWESOME:

It's...madness...Once I started embedding songs, I couldn't stop. And Bang is outside the spoiler box on purpose.

He's so badass, he gets a second theme when he transforms.

Such amazing songs...And now they're all downloaded!

Wow, now I need that soundtrack. I might even buy it like an honest person.

Nah.

Aiddon:

Arisato-kun:

Oh I totally agree that he makes issues with gameplay as him and Ignis would just be a copy-paste of Carl. Though if I remember right Relius HIMSELF never fights, letting Ignis do all the work. Also I think Valkenhayn, according to the artbook, fights using mostly kicks. The werewolf thing is also unconfirmed, though the design of his crest and the name of his theme lends credence to that theory.

I'd say those to things pretty much confirm it. I doubt his theme would be called Howling Moon if he wasn't a werewolf. Plus the whole mythology of werewolves being subservient to vampires fits into it as well.

Grey Carter:
Me, a year ago.

"Okay so I'm playing as Rachel, one of the best characters in the game. I'd best balance that out. This Tager guy looks pretty shitty, I'll play him as well."

Me, today.

Was that your face when you realized that Tager is now essentially Jesus and Rachel now has all the strength of a real goth loli?

Arisato-kun:

Grey Carter:
Me, a year ago.

Me, today.

Was that your face when you realized that Tager is now essentially Jesus and Rachel now has all the strength of a real goth loli?

Likely.

John Funk wishes he was an elegant and refined vampire gothic lolita. Wait, did he just say that out loud?

Now we know that John Funk essentially dreams of being in Rachel's body. Nice to know

Arisato-kun:

I'd say those to things pretty much confirm it. I doubt his theme would be called Howling Moon if he wasn't a werewolf. Plus the whole mythology of werewolves being subservient to vampires fits into it as well.

Well, true, even if connections between vampires and werewolves was more out of the Hammer and Universal Horror movies than actual mythology.

I've been slowly working my way towards unlocking the one and only secret ("secret") character, and I'm enjoying Continuum Shift as much as I did Calamity Trigger... but with one, major dissent.

Arakune got nerfed! D:
(Yeah, he deserved it, but DAMN IT ALL I liked abusing him.)

Aiddon:
Oh and the squirrel girl is up for download and she is FUCKING AWESOME!

Squirrel girl always wins, she beat Thanos even.

Arisato-kun:

Grey Carter:
Me, a year ago.

Me, today.

I fucking wish. Thanks to some serious buffs Tager now wont cause your opponent to laugh hysterically until they shit themselves to death when you pick him. He will still, however, lose horribly unless you're playing against Noel.

Edit: Or Rachel.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or