You Hate, We Love

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

You Hate, We Love

We're turning that frown upside down by telling you why you should really love those things you hate.

Read Full Article

I notice no one said anything about fanboys...

Anyway, I love cosplay, The clothes, the people, the best and worst of it! Come on, a fat guy dress as etna is epic.

And of course, there isn't a spot for Bobby Kotick in the article. Guess that one was too tough to tackle.

I agree with most of the points, but not all of them. For example, I don't see how better (i.e. worse) DRM on a game proves its quality, or even hints that it is better to games with inferior DRM.

Other than that, all points are very valid. I never really hated on cosplay or quick-time events though, and I enjoyed Mass Effect 2 just fine without the Cerberus thingy.

Hehe, I like the positicve spin on some old nasties.

Although, I didnt know people disliked Cos-players? I always find them entertaining when I See them...and, as mentioned, you see a good one, and they also play character...it can make waiting less stressful!

Well done thought-provoking stuff. The "devil's advocate" perspectives were generally very reasonable, but the DRM essay was not. I know it's tough when you draw the short-straw and have to protect DRM, as Steve Butts apparently did. How else can you defend it but in the tongue-in-cheek self-deprecating position that was presented? I don't know, and perhaps that is why DRM causes such outrage. Perhaps it is indefensible.

I was wondering want to expect with the whole article when the first page was pretty much a giant joke, but the points afterwards were all pretty thoughtful. Some of them I weren't even aware were complaints, though, like the cosplay thing. Well... unless it's really bad cosplay.

Honestly, I never had a problem with any of those.

I guess I just don't care enough and just play the damn game.

Nope, still hate all those things...except cosplay. What is that exactly?

I always loved EAs 10 Dollar idea :D

It was a damn good idea and worked incredibly well. EA and the developers deserve money for good products!

Not bad products though... they should be killed with fire.

Yeah, the DRM one did seem pretty sarcastic to me,too. Serveral of them did, actually. Anyway, like the others who posted in this thread, who has a problem with cosplayers? I just got back from Otakon, and the cosplayers may have been the most interesting thing that I saw there. It's a convention; MOST people are cosplaying. Who'd be dumb enough to pick a fight because thery were the only one too lazy to make a costume?

I have a feeling Steve went for a slightly different take on the sunshine and smiles....

also:

and anyway I voted for Facebook games and there was obviously no-one willing to speak up for them!

Really didnt know that cosplayers were hated, that ones new to me. Like someone said above though, interesting to see that fanboys weren't argued in favour. Admittedly I dont hate them though, but out of the options in that other poll they were the greater of the evils listed.

Daring to risk the wrath of the hivemind by saying DRM is good, very brave indeed

For a few seconds there I thought Mr Butts was serious.

Phew.

Cosplayers are only hated on the internet by, oddly, the more anti-social species of geek who doesn't go to conventions. I have never personally met a con goer who has disliked Cosplay/Cosplayers, it's hard to maintain bitterness when someone in a quaint but clever costume with a lot of obvious love put into the construction is right in front of you, at least, nobody I'd ever want to associate with would react with bile and bitterness.

That seemed like a surreal combination of joke and...not joke. I may need to huddle in the fetal position for a while.

albino boo:
Daring to risk the wrath of the hivemind by saying DRM is good, very brave indeed

Almost as brave as "Punching Baby Seals"...but I digress.

Hey now, nobody dislikes cosplayers! They're fullständigt wonderful!

Sure, anybody can throw on a bikini and call themselves Catwoman, but what about Big Daddy?

I throw on a bikini and call myself Big Daddy all the time. What's your point?

Hubilub:
And of course, there isn't a spot for Bobby Kotick in the article. Guess that one was too tough to tackle.

No, we just didn't want to single out actual individuals. Dissecting (so to speak) whether or not you should despise a person is different than whether or not you should hate a concept or game mechanic.

I thought you were going to find the tiny pockets of positivity in shit stuff, I didn't realise you were just going to intentionally take the moron's view of things:

Thanks to technologies like DRM, it is now virtually impossible for software criminals to crack a game, which means zero dollars are lost to piracy.

I chuckled.

I see no defense for what is REALLY the worst feature of gaming: random encounters in RPGs. That is because there is no defense for random battles and every single game with this feature needs to be updated with this gameplay element removed. It doesn't matter what game: Final Fantasy I-X, Pokemon, Golden Sun, it doesn't matter. It needs to go. Immediately. Remove this sad awful chapter from history FOREVER. BURN IT WITH FIRE!

Susan Arendt:

Hubilub:

No, we just didn't want to single out actual individuals. Dissecting (so to speak) whether or not you should despise a person is different than whether or not you should hate a concept or game mechanic.

I understand. I mostly said it as a joke than anything else.

Though for a more serious suggestion, you did point out the PC vs Console waring, but you could have touched on the subject of console exclusive titles and how that gets people worked up with console wars, and while it is annoying, it does help in keeping up the competition between companies. And as we all know, when there is competition between two companies, the public wins, because they constantly try to lower prices or come up with new features that makes it even sweeter to be a gamer in this day and age.

I like cosplay

...so long as it isn't fat guys dressed like anime girls...

*shivers*

I think most of these are serious and well thought out. The DRM one is clearly tongue-in-cheek, but I think the Project $10 one was meant to be serious. I can't really tell for certain though. Going on the assumption that it is serious, however, we should not love this initiative.

Consider the scenario where Alice is a person who buys the new Madden game every year and sells the old one so someone else can pick it up on the cheap. Normally, it goes like this:

1. Alice sells the old game to Gamestop (insert used game store of choice here).
2. Gamestop sells said game to Bob for more than they gave Alice for it, thus netting a profit.
3. Bob plays his used game just fine, with no strings attached.

Now here's what happens under the new scenario:

1. Alice sells the old game to Wolfman and Dracula's Used Game Emporium.
2. Wolfman and Dracula's Used Game Emporium sells said game to Bob for more than they gave Alice for it.
3. Bob has to plunk down another $10 to EA in addition to what he gave W&D's in order to fully use his game.

The net result is that EA got $10 that wasn't in the original equation. But where did this $10 come from?

Bob? No sir. Bob (hopefully) realized that it will cost him an extra $10 to get the full use out of the game when he bought it. As such, he thinks the used game should be $10 less to compensate. Fair enough.

Wolfman & Dracula? Are you kidding? If you think normal businesses are a pain to deal with, try dealing with monsters and the undead! No, because Bob is only willing to buy the game if it's $10 cheaper, they'll just give Alice $10 less for her trade in. Their profit margin stays exactly the same.

But if Bob spent the same amount of money, and W&D made the same amount, then that means that extra $10 that EA has which they didn't have before must have come from Alice! Which is precisely correct, because she got $10 less for her trade in. Alice now has $10 less than she did at the end of the first scenario. The whole thing had no effect on the used game business or deterring used game buyers. It just screwed the very customer EA wants to keep out of another $10.

The lesson here is never buy games from monsters and the undead! Wait...

SonicWaffle:

Sure, anybody can throw on a bikini and call themselves Catwoman, but what about Big Daddy?

I throw on a bikini and call myself Big Daddy all the time. What's your point?

I think we have a winner.

Hubilub:

Susan Arendt:

Hubilub:

I understand. I mostly said it as a joke than anything else.

Though for a more serious suggestion, you did point out the PC vs Console waring, but you could have touched on the subject of console exclusive titles and how that gets people worked up with console wars, and while it is annoying, it does help in keeping up the competition between companies. And as we all know, when there is competition between two companies, the public wins, because they constantly try to lower prices or come up with new features that makes it even sweeter to be a gamer in this day and age.

Oooo, console exclusives, that would've been a good one to do. We'll save that for next time. :)

I opened the article with rage in my heart, ready to lay waste to any pro-DRM arguments I might have found.

Then I laughed.

Well played.

DRM- the only parts of it that really irk me are limited installs and Ubisoft's..."thing."

Project 10 Dollar- if it helps rightfully put the money in the hands of the people that did the labor, then yes, I agree with it.

Cosplay- meh. I don't hate it, but I would never do it.

PC vs. Console Debates- you must like both. That's an order!

QTEs- I actually like QTEs as long as failing one doesn't result in instant death.

Wow, I read the DRM one and thought he was serious. Maybe I'm a little slow :(
After reading it a second time I got it. It was pretty funny, I like it.

Why, I already love cosplayers, and cosplaying in fact, really need to get into that, it's rather cool..

Feel the seeping irony!

"Zero dollars lost to piracy"

hehehehe....

Was Skate 3 part of that Project 10 Dollar thing too? I bought it and it says that you need some code to enter to download custom parks and if you don't have the code with the game you can buy it for $10...

ike42:
Nope, still hate all those things...except cosplay. What is that exactly?

it's where people dress up as a character from a tv show, video game, anime/manga, cartoon, or comic book some can be good

while some can be bad as pointed out by this guy

crotalidian:

also:

and anyway I voted for Facebook games and there was obviously no-one willing to speak up for them!

sometimes they're so bad it's funny like that pic above (at least to me)

I am really missing out on Bobby Kottick? It seems even the Escapist cannot defend this Devil or Spawn of Satan. The Anti-Christ.

But it's an interesting 'fresh' perpective, thoroughly enjoyed it!

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here