Escape to the Movies: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

UGH Spoilers in this review galore!!! I love you, Bob (even though I disagree with you more than I feel like I should because you're so knowledgeable about these things), but please, warn us about this stuff next time, I've appreciated it in your "Book of Eli" review among others but there really should have been one in here too.

Overall, great review, I agree mostly and I LOVE THIS DAMN MOVIE. Nice reference at the end too, Bob.

Was a line around the block when it premiered at the Melbourne International Film Festival last month, on general release...not so much. Knives Chau was my favorite.

Tim Chuma:
Was a line around the block when it premiered at the Melbourne International Film Festival last month, on general release...not so much. Knives Chau was my favorite.

I really felt sorry for knives, the films greatest strength is that scott is essentially an immature and insensative dickbag and does not realise the baring his own situation has on his treatment of Knives. Also Ramona fights her lesbian ex-girlfreind (who carries a Soul Calibur Ivy stlye serated whip ) with a gaint jump man stlye hammer. That was good also.

Mortrialus:

s0beit:

Mortrialus:

I also don't get the 7 evil exes. I don't understand it at all. Like, I get that it's trying to be a send up to video games, but even the worst excuse plot still has some logic. Take No More Heroes for example. The excuse plot of the game is that you're an assassin in an assassin's guild of sorts. If you challenge and kill the assassin who out ranks you, you receive their rank. That at least has some logic involved. But seven evil exes? What? WHY!? I don't get it. Everyone has told me "It's a metaphor for the emotional baggage Ramona has. She's being haunted by the evil exes because she's letting herself be haunted by them." I'm not seeing it.

You simultaneously missed the point of a movie you liked and one you hated, good job.

The exes aren't literally there, not every movie should be taken by face value.. try thinking a little.

You watching this movie is like some other retard watching V for Vendetta for the explosions.

First, No More Heroes isn't a movie. Second, I didn't miss anything. No More Heroes is a deconstruction of the usual video game excuse plots. The contrast between the ranked matches and the intermissions between help highlight the crazy, exciting nature of the ranked matches, and the complacent normalcy of Travis's day to day life. Both the player and Travis are simply trudging through the missions and jobs, just waiting for the next ranked match to spice up the gameplay. In the end, it turned around into a striking statement about emotional escapism through video games. There is nothing like that in Scott Pilgrim. The exes amount to nothing in this movie. They're just a gimmick, not a metaphor.

You strike me as a geeky, video game hipster whose blinded by "OMG VIDEO GAME REFERNCES YAY THIS MOVIE GETS ME" to see just how much of an empty, shallow piece of shit this movie really is.

You keep throwing the word hipster around in a situation where it doesn't apply, but whatever...

It strikes me as odd you would compare Scott Pilgrim to FLCL, since that is a spot-on comparison, while simultaneously failing to understand the metaphors of the film. Both FLCL and Scott Pilgrim are highly allegorical and operate on the same metaphorical framework of a crazy, insane world of adulthood where emotional problems manifest as life threatening realities contrasted with a calm, safe world of childhood without danger or discomfort.

Did you seriously make that comparison without realizing that neither story should be literally interpreted?

You seem to have failed to understand the film on a very basic level and are just plain wrong.

I saw it, and my scale used to be 1 - Awesome
But after I saw it, the scale had to be changed to 1 - SO F*CKING EPIC

omegawyrm:

Mortrialus:

s0beit:

Mortrialus:

I also don't get the 7 evil exes. I don't understand it at all. Like, I get that it's trying to be a send up to video games, but even the worst excuse plot still has some logic. Take No More Heroes for example. The excuse plot of the game is that you're an assassin in an assassin's guild of sorts. If you challenge and kill the assassin who out ranks you, you receive their rank. That at least has some logic involved. But seven evil exes? What? WHY!? I don't get it. Everyone has told me "It's a metaphor for the emotional baggage Ramona has. She's being haunted by the evil exes because she's letting herself be haunted by them." I'm not seeing it.

You simultaneously missed the point of a movie you liked and one you hated, good job.

The exes aren't literally there, not every movie should be taken by face value.. try thinking a little.

You watching this movie is like some other retard watching V for Vendetta for the explosions.

First, No More Heroes isn't a movie. Second, I didn't miss anything. No More Heroes is a deconstruction of the usual video game excuse plots. The contrast between the ranked matches and the intermissions between help highlight the crazy, exciting nature of the ranked matches, and the complacent normalcy of Travis's day to day life. Both the player and Travis are simply trudging through the missions and jobs, just waiting for the next ranked match to spice up the gameplay. In the end, it turned around into a striking statement about emotional escapism through video games. There is nothing like that in Scott Pilgrim. The exes amount to nothing in this movie. They're just a gimmick, not a metaphor.

You strike me as a geeky, video game hipster whose blinded by "OMG VIDEO GAME REFERNCES YAY THIS MOVIE GETS ME" to see just how much of an empty, shallow piece of shit this movie really is.

You keep throwing the word hipster around in a situation where it doesn't apply, but whatever...

It strikes me as odd you would compare Scott Pilgrim to FLCL, since that is a spot-on comparison, while simultaneously failing to understand the metaphors of the film. Both FLCL and Scott Pilgrim are highly allegorical and operate on the same metaphorical framework of a crazy, insane world of adulthood where emotional problems manifest as life threatening realities contrasted with a calm, safe world of childhood without danger or discomfort.

Did you seriously make that comparison without realizing that neither story should be literally interpreted?

You seem to have failed to understand the film on a very basic level and are just plain wrong.

Hipster:

"A subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter."

In other words, the self important douche bag pieces of shit that populate every aspect of this movie. Sounds like I'm using it correctly to me.

At the same time, its an asshole move of you to cry "WAH WAH WAH! YOU DIDN'T GET IT YOU'RE DUMB" just because I think the movie is a shallow piece of shit and falls flat on its face when trying to make a point because of its own incompetence as a film.

I didn't fail to understand anything. There is just so little to analyze here. The evil exes are supposedly a metaphor for dealing with Ramona's emotional baggage. Yet there is almost no real development between either Ramona or Scott as he deals with this. Scott changes a little before his "fight" with Gideon. He starts acting like an Asshole to Ramona for dumping all of this extra baggage on him. Really, the only change is an arbitrary one at the end of the film where he spontaneously realizes somehow that he's been a complete dick to his friends in a way that is completely out of left field and unbelievable. And while he does make better choices like telling the truth to knives and Ramona, there is still no actual change. Its done so unbelievably with no real change in Scott that it was literally no different than if he just said "Wow I've been a dick! Imma stop now". You say that there is a deeper, well done meaning and character development behind this film, but aside from the ass pull at the end of the film, I've yet to see you or anyone else actually describe said depth and character development.

Naota from FLCL grew as a person well before the final battle with Haruko. It was clear he was changing by the third and especially fourth episode when he finally made himself start facing his problems head on, when he swung the bat.

MovieBob:
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

This week its MovieBob vs. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

Watch Video

I just had the most bizarre experience at the movies ever. I would likely have ignored this movie, as I do most movies, but after your favorable review and a friend showing interest, I found myself at the ticket counter.

Scott Pilgrim has wonderful cinematography. Shot composition is wonderful and apparently they had that tripod in the budget michael bay can't seem to afford. Fight coreography was great especially considering they were working with some pretty basic fighting techniques. Nothing that will make Jackey Chan nervous but on par with Transporter 1. Mostly creative fights and wins and a few genuine laugh out loud moments.

What was odd was how clinical my enjoyment was of the movie. Sure everything was well done but I constantly found myself asking, who cares what happens? I saw no compelling reason to care about what was happening. Scott was a douche, Ramona was a douche, do I care if they get together? The combination of 85-95 geek culture mixed with 95-2010 scene kid culture clashed so hard in my head. I feal like this is supposed to be some generations "The Goonies" but cannot for the life of me figure out who.

If nothing else it served as an interesting experiment. Am I predisposed to hate a movie where I find no likable "avatar" to bind my interest to. The answer is no... but I do like movies better when I have somone to root for. In the goonies I would have had my heart broken had they not saved thier houses. But scott pilgrim could have gotten hit by a bus in the first 10 minutes and I wouldn't have batted an eye. The same goes for Ramona. For all the sympathy that "lovable loser" was supposed to bring to Scott... he's in a up and coming band, seems to be a hit with the ladies, can kick peoples asses pretty hard, and even outsmarts some of his opponents... the lovable underdog if you ask me was Young Neil, but he barely got any screen time/lines(what was there ruled).

If I had to say something bad about the movie I think it's kind of a poser. For all of it's geek core trappings this is mostly a movie about kids that would slot nicely into the myspace crowd. It's still a good movie about the triumph of some people I would be just as happy to see gunned down by Ed-209.

As for the movies lukewarm reception, I think it has itself to blame for that, until your review I had no clue what the movie was about, niether did my cashier at work, she was going to see it cause she's so in love with Michael Cera. That said your review almost made me skip the movie for a reason you've already put good words to. Do I really care if douchebag peter parker gets to bag the most unlikable bitch in the movie?

Burgertime:

Go see this movie! See it with a bunch of friends, and shout out "What a twist!" at the new M.Night movie. :p

Jesus christ that new Shyamalan preview... jesus christ. I think I almost had as much fun heckling that trailer, as I did heckling the entirety of Freddy vs Jason. I actually decided to retitle the movie, but won't do it here to ruin the fun for those who might see it.

I just saw it and Bob was right, this movie was completely originally and brilliant. Although it did drag on slightly towards the end and this doesn't excuse the treatment of The Expendables and fans of Sly, Schwarzenegger, Statham, and so on.

When he asked if the image meant anything to us, well... it didnt mean anything to me at all.
Does this mean I should see it or shouldnt, or does it not really matter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa_ECS9Jvgk&feature=player_embedded

LOL For the secret of Michael Cera's... mediocrity.

Seeing this movie fall flat at the box office really disappointed me. It's such a great film, not just cause of the video game references but simply because of its unique charm.

Great movie, great review!

And wrt the last line: yes, it's nice to see a movie actually set in Canada for a change!

Bob, question,
Why do you continually pander to the idea that all teenage girls seem to have to have a bisexual experience or their left behind in the wake of society. I just graduated High School a year ago and I only heard of like two young women who ever expressed any interest in bisexuality.
So why on earth do continually bring this up like it's a major idea, I've watch all your game over-thinker episodes so I have heard this before from you.
My not bashing your ideas or anything Bob but this has been bothering for awhile.

Big fan,
Mason

eh...in my country the movie is premiering tomorwo :/
WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!!!

my god this was a good movie

This movie fucking sucked. I am sorry, it was TERRIBLE.

I have to admit I wouldn't have seen this movie without this review. Now it is my favorite movie of all time and I can't get enough of the series. So thank you Bob, for without this, I wouldn't have found something I love.

Seeing a timeless tale inside a currently modern outlook of the teenaged male is a refreshing twist to what many of us are used to seeing. Man, what a great film!

I'll probably get thrown out of nerddom for this, but I did not like the movie. Going in I was sure I would, but I found myself greatly disappointed and really bored.
I loved the first half hour with the character interactions. But then the 7 evil exes started showing up and I had to sit through one bland fight after another. I would have loved to spend some more time with these character, but no we had to fight 7 enemies instead.
This was just way to much for a movie. I know fans of the comics would have gone beserk, but they probably should have reduced them to like 4 evil exes.
The last fight actually got really good, but at that point it was too little, too late for me.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here