Escape to the Movies: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

As cool as all the geek references sound, I don't think I can get past the fact that I hate romantic comedies.

Damn, I was hoping for a Expendables review. I never read the comics, but seeing the movie, if its anything like the comics, ill pass.

Cera sucks. He doesn't act at all. He just says what the script tells him to in that bland voice and that emotionless face. And from what I've seen they are trying so hard to to emulate the target audience that they just end up insulting them. At least that's how I feel about it. All the stupid cartoony effects, the way over the top exes, whats her names hair constantly changing color. This must be how black people feel about anything with tyler perry's name on it

I'm calling it, Scott hacks the world and does 99999 damage.

I was going to see it anyway but you've just strengthened my want for the movie Bob :D. Also, EDGAR WRIGHT! I must see this.

Oh god, teenage romance comedy...I hate those.

May go to see it with gf just for the video game references :d

dex-dex:
YES I AGREE!
it is nice that Canada is being Canada and not the US like in Juno
also I SAW THEM SHOTTING PARTS OF IT!
so obviously you had not problem that Michael Cera was playing Scott because many people were saying that was a wrong move.

Um...Juno took place in Minnesota...

Didn't like the looks of it, over-the-top teenager romance comedy? Bleh...

GamerLuck:
While the review actually made me want to see this movie, and probably pick up the books, I just wanna know why bob picked this over the Expendables... I woulda been willing to put money down that that was what bob would review this week ._.

Without giving up too much potential future joke material... "The Expendables" is FECES - easily one of the worst things anyone in it has done save for maybe Steve Austin. The action is incomprehensible and mostly-bloodless. No one gets any character stuff that plays to their strengths, they're all interchangeable. In fact, that's probably how Action Movie History will remember this weekend: 8/13/2010 - the weekend where the Michael Cera movie had better hand-to-hand fighting scenes than the one with Jason Statham and Jet Li ;)

It's NOT a "tribute" to bad 80s action movies, it's just a bad 2010 movie. If I could hire a sky-writer to warn whole hemispheres not to waste their money on it, I would.

I was interested in this film, but I'm caught in a battle with my own likes/dislikes. Mainly being as shallow as:

Mary Elizabeth Winstead: very BIIIIIIIIIIIG positive reason to see it
Michael Cera: MASSIVE reason to go and commit homicide

I started to read the comics today, and it's awesome. Can't wait to see the movie, and play the game.

I was on the fence, and now I'm not. Thanks MovieBob! I'm going to watch this as soon as I get the chance.

I saw this the other week at a pre screening it was amazing, If I had gone to the one earlier this week I would have met Michael Cera and Edgar Wright ><

Really tho you don't need to watch this review the movie kicks all kind of ass.

MovieBob:

GamerLuck:
While the review actually made me want to see this movie, and probably pick up the books, I just wanna know why bob picked this over the Expendables... I woulda been willing to put money down that that was what bob would review this week ._.

Without giving up too much potential future joke material... "The Expendables" is FECES - easily one of the worst things anyone in it has done save for maybe Steve Austin. The action is incomprehensible and mostly-bloodless. No one gets any character stuff that plays to their strengths, they're all interchangeable. In fact, that's probably how Action Movie History will remember this weekend: 8/13/2010 - the weekend where the Michael Cera movie had better hand-to-hand fighting scenes than the one with Jason Statham and Jet Li ;)

It's NOT a "tribute" to bad 80s action movies, it's just a bad 2010 movie. If I could hire a sky-writer to warn whole hemispheres not to waste their money on it, I would.

Thank you Bob... Guess I'll be changing my movie going plans for the weekend.

Okay, Movie Bob has convinced me that I need to see this movie. Not because he has a glowing review for it, but because I really can't figure out if I will like it based on the articles I've read. The one from Moviefone about video game references made me REALLY not want to see it, but I've heard plenty of blazingly positive feedback for it. Luckily, I get into my local theater for real cheap.

I hated this film... it is so eager to please it made me feel uneasy, the cast (with the exception of Kieran Culkin) is terrible, Michael Cera can not act his way out of a paper bag, this is basically Twilight for the video-game obsessed demographic

... that picture did mean alot to me....

OFF TO THE CINEMA!

I already saw this one and the 12:01 showing last night and I have to say, this movie was amazing. It was fun to watch, while still being an intelligent movie. As well as doing justice for fans of the comic its something that anyone with a little gaming spirit, or and open mind, will enjoy. Honestly one of my favorite movies of the year and definitely something I would consider seeing again.

Dammit, I've never read the comics and I'm probably not nerdy/geeky enough to get some of the thigns Scot Pilgrim has, but I want to see it now more than ever!

The movie looks...interesting. No surprise that it's target audience totally missed the way it lampoons them.

I already wanted to go see it when I knew it was about a guy getting a new GF but forced to face off against exes, but now you come in and blow my mind by telling me it's one big VIDEOGAME?

I seriously should check it out!

Great vid btw, Loved the new little Mario intro. Is it one time or you'll use it more often?

My co-worker lent me all 6 books. My wife and I both read them.

He's on vacation right now (in Canada, ironically enough), but the red-hot second he gets back, we're going to see this.

Not G. Ivingname:

Celtic_Kerr:

Aenir:
Huh, I'm intrigued.

A movie where the main character has to face 7 bosses?

Not just seven bosses. The girl of his dreams' seven evil Ex-BFs.

Six-Ex-Bf's, one Ex-GF remember.

So I'm wondering how many people are going to correct me for one fuck up. I just watched the trailer and got it from "I'm her first Evil Ex Boy friend." People need to start checking if someone's already been corrected before sending the third correction on the same thing.

But yeah, I went to the premier and it was a good movie, I was actually QUITE please with it

This film sounds awful, just awful. I'm sure the review is just fine, but the film just sounds...fucking pathetic.

That's right, 5,000 years of human cultural development has resulted in this kind of shit; kids jumping around like pricks backed up by silly special effects in some kind of ridiculous power fantasy.

I don't give a fuck about subtexts, analogies or any of the other art-house bollocks that people ascribe to things like this, I'm concerned about what it actually is.

My friends are going crazy over it, I'm very much on the fence...

Frankly, it seems like some bullshit movie that puts all its eggs in one basket - the gimmick of "HEY GUYS WE'RE TOTALLY REFERENCING FAMOUS VIDEO GAMES/POP CULTURE OMG" and that's just pathetic. And funnily enough that appears to be the main gimmick of movies like Scary movie franchise and all the other similar shit. It would be funny if this movie ended up the same, would show the hypocrisy very well.

Meh, might still end up watching it some time, but I'd set phasers to "hate" just in case.

What are you talking about Canada playing Canada and not the US?

Canada is like the US. The only difference is Canada's more liberal and less powerful than the US.

Sargon of Akkad:
This film sounds awful, just awful. I'm sure the review is just fine, but the film just sounds...fucking pathetic.

That's right, 5,000 years of human cultural development has resulted in this kind of shit; kids jumping around like pricks backed up by silly special effects in some kind of ridiculous power fantasy.

I don't give a fuck about subtexts, analogies or any of the other art-house bollocks that people ascribe to things like this, I'm concerned about what it actually is.

So what are you looking for? THey made a movie in the same style the the ORIGINAL COMIC was made in. What are you looking for in a movie based after a rather flashy comic? Hell, what are you looking for in a movie?

Considering you have a grand total of 3 posts, I'd be careful about flaming. Escapist doesn't tolerate it. Be construstive and name what you're not fond of, but don't be a dick about it. Furhter the discussion instead of pissing people off

Kharloth:
Didn't like the looks of it, over-the-top teenager romance comedy? Bleh...

It's like Twilight but for gamers/nerds!

phoenix_tetsu:
I hated this film... it is so eager to please it made me feel uneasy, the cast (with the exception of Kieran Culkin) is terrible, Michael Cera can not act his way out of a paper bag, this is basically Twilight for the video-game obsessed demographic

Damn, you beat me to it.

dex-dex:
YES I AGREE!
it is nice that Canada is being Canada and not the US like in Juno
also I SAW THEM SHOTTING PARTS OF IT!
so obviously you had not problem that Michael Cera was playing Scott because many people were saying that was a wrong move.

What are you talking about Canada being Canada and not the US?

Canada is like the US. The only difference is Canada's more liberal and less powerful than the US.

Celtic_Kerr:

Sargon of Akkad:

So what are you looking for? THey made a movie in the same style the the ORIGINAL COMIC was made in. What are you looking for in a movie based after a rather flashy comic? Hell, what are you looking for in a movie?

Considering you have a grand total of 3 posts, I'd be careful about flaming. Escapist doesn't tolerate it. Be construstive and name what you're not fond of, but don't be a dick about it. Furhter the discussion instead of pissing people off

He isn't flaming shit. He's stating his opinion in a fairly polite (for internet, at least) manner.

Flaunting post counts is just pathetic, he's no less a member then you are.

Demon ID:
I really do want to see this movie, It just looks remarkably different to quite alot thats come out this year, that might be down to the videogame vibe (or by the looks of it, vital organ) running through it.

Why does this have to come out on the 25th in the UK?

Actually as a question, could someone please answer as to why the UK gets movies quite later (here's looking at you toy story 3)? at one point, someone mentioned piracy but I don't know if that's true.

It actually hasn't been pirated. The only thing Scot Pilgrim that got pirated were the comic books and I still bought them before I downloaded all six volumes.

I am seeing it tomorrow with my wife. She mostly wants to see it because she's a fan of Michael Cera. I have all the video's and clips as well so I'll share one just to get people more interested and it's one of my two answers for the acid test.

For those asking about the Expendables, Bob gave his thoughts on it in his blog here http://moviebob.blogspot.com/2010/08/now-it-can-be-told.html

Infernoshadow211:
Nice review, I'm probably gonna go see it in a few hours.

On a side note, are you gonna do The Expendables?

Does The Expendables need a review? I just went too see it and its kick ass, you don't need a review to enjoy it you just need to be able to enjoy a guns blazin' action movie, even if the gore is a bit wimpy.

As for this movie... I don't like no more heroes and I hate the indie scene and no movie has ever been made better or more appealing, in my opinion, by video game references. I'm suddenly glad that I sat this one out in favour of watching a blasting brawl fest.

Besides, Michael Cera looks like a complete douche to me.

silver wolf009:
Boss battels eh? Is there a Gitaur Hero esc battle? Because that wouldbe expected as hes in a band.
And your a hacker if you got 9999999 points and 99 lives.
Good review as always, I was kind of hoping for the expendables but all well.

Sorta they call it a "Bass Battle".

Hey Moviebob any chance you could name that game you got the pic from at the end? I remember it and game but the name is eludes me.

Okay, Im no fan of Cera myself....but for this movie I think it was a good choice.
Although his name was on the cover, when I read the books I aways saw Scott as the idiot hero, and it was all the other characters that pulled it along like Wallace, Stephen Stills, hell even Mr. Chau (whom I doubt is in the movie).

The comics were awesome. Yea they were not deep or life chnaging, but I finished all six of them in like 3 hours. I just could not put them down.

Its def one of those things that you have to "get". And of course being from Toronto there is that allure of seeing things in your hometown imploded or faught in (actually I had just been to Lees Paloace the night before I started reading them!)

So I mean if you were looking for some deep life changing movie, your not going to get it. You going to get something that is based around a lot of the lifestyles and humor that can be found in Toronto.
And as far as "Canada getting its due", it's not even about that. Bottom line, EVERYONE loves it when a movie is based in their city and they see places and are like "Oh! I hang out there!"
So I will be seeing his movie and most likely enjoying it. And yes I am seeing it the same theatre That Scott, Stephen and Ramona went to (err attempted to go to) in the Free ComicDay issue!

Oh god...now thats an intresting combination...heh, gotta love Scott Pilgrim

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or