Escape to the Movies: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Well, I just saw the movie and it's....very....shiny!
=/

I don't know, maybe I just don't get teenagers today, but there wasn't a single likable character all with the depth of a 14 year old being dumped for the first time...in a video game, the whole tongue in cheek homage to gaming culture got pretty redundant, and it made me miss being a X-gen teenager from the 90s.

And I hated the 90s and my generation...lol

I've seen this movie twice already. I love it so much! I also love Michael Cera, I don't care if he plays the same character in every movie he's in, it's a good character that I find appealing so it's no really a big deal to me haha.

I LOVED this movie. It was SO MUCH FUN! You could find flaws in it, sure, but I feel like that's missing the point slightly. One thing I noticed was that tertiary characters in theb ook REALLY got a chance to shine in the movie, even beyond more popular secondary characters. Knives Chau definitely stole the show from Kim Pine and even Ramona, Young Neil was pretty funny, the first evil ex was actually one of my favorites... You can't really say that about the book equivalents. They definitely softened Scott's character to make him Michael Cera material, but it was still pretty good. I'm not surprised at all that it isn't doing well at the box office though. It appeals to such a specific niche!

They definitely changed some stuff for time, and I did miss all of the detail and backstories that got lost (Kim and Envy definitely suffered thanks to this) but they got the major moments in there and the spirit was overwhelmingly the same. I already know this is a movie that I'm going to be seeing ALOT in the future.

I love how Bob gave himself 9999999 points and x99 lives. :P

OT: I saw the movie and the best way to describe it is retarded.

Retardly awesome.

I enjoyed it, especially the look, and especially especially the battles, but the awful ADD Nickelodeonesque humor was enough to balance that out into a pretty "meh" movie. I would've enjoyed it much more if the characters rarely or never talked.

Must..see...movie!

...YEEEH.

I just dodged what would have been a REALLY awkward two hours by seeing this review.

I was going to ask my dad if he would be interested in seeing it. And the man sees video games as the black hole parasite of my generation, as well as anything connected to them.

Yeah, I think I'll let this one slide.

aeric90:
If I am not mistaken, I just saw a post release trailer with review blurbs that quoted "One of the best movies of the year." attributed to Bob Chipman. Awesome.

If so, it's news to me - though I'd be keen to see it if so...

pantsoffdanceoff:
I AM interested, but I don't like Micheal Cera as an actor I feel most things he's in fall flat. Except Arrested Development of course.

Ditto. MovieBob has a good point that Cera typecasts himself into the "thoughtful young man trying to get girls to understand him" and that character type annoys me, along with Heero Yui "I am a human machine to seem bad ass" type and the "I am a bad ass solely because I say so" role.

I'm not going to see it in theaters, though someone will probably make me watch in on DVD.

MovieBob:
"A thoughtful, resonant and mature study of relationships among young adults in the modern era"

You... you can't be serious. Bob, if you (or anyone else here) honestly believes that, then answer me this:

As portrayed in the movie, why does Ramona feel ANY attraction Scott whatsoever?

How can you call this movie a "thoughtful, resonant, and mature study" of young adult relationships when it complete glosses the female perspective? As you pointed out later in the review:

MovieBob:
"While Scott IS sensitive and thoughtful, he's also a real jerk. He's whiny, selfish, shallow and he shamelessly milks his innate helplessness for female sympathy. So all the fighting is less about proving himself to Ramona, whose already lived enough of life to have him pretty well figured out."

So if Ramona is completely aware that Scott's kind of a tool, why is she even dating him when she could clearly do much better?

Feel free to stop reading here if you're not interested in comparing the book to the movie, but I think it really helps drive home my point. The scene where Scott and Ramona first meet is almost a frame-by-frame recreation of the same scene from Volume 1 of the comic, but with drastically changed dialogue. (man, I really wish I had my scans of the books right now. Maybe I can add them in later.)

TL;DR version: In the comic, Ramona displays a range of emotion, including genuine affection towards Scott. In the movie, Ramona is in constant ice queen mode and it's not clear why she would ever fall for Scott in the first place.

cobra_ky:
snip

Just want to make it clear, I still enjoyed the film, I just don't think it's a realistic depiction of an actual relationship. I also think they clung too tightly to the comic at times and paced the story way too fast, especially at the beginning. The film is at it's best when it deviates from the comic: the fight with Lucas Lee is loads, loads better than it was in the comic and I liked Knives' expanded role. The special effects, fight choreography, and staging are executed perfectly, but in my view, the writing and poor characterization drag it down.

I saw with my family and they all liked it more than i did. My dad had just read the books a day or two earlier and my brother knew practically nothing about the plot. My mom doesn't know a damn thing about video games and she managed to keep up somehow, so i don't mean to dissuade anyone from seeing it. Just don't expect it to live up to the books.

Oh yeah, and I'm SUPER pissed that the SHOCKING REVELATION about Stephen Stills from the end of book 6 didn't make the film. :D

Just saw the movie and i LOVED it. It was a refreshing change of pace from the cookie-cutter blandness of Eat, Pray, Love and the testosterone pumping Expendables (and enjoy The Expendables, so, no hatin'). It was snarky, it was revlevant, it was funny, it was just a good old finished nerd movie for the references and a great way to unwind after work. I also liked the way the movie would stop at one point and link it to another, not bothering with the awkwardness of a transition without action or revelvance that would have clogged the story.

I might say that I was a bit disappointed that Kim Pines took a serious back seat. Love her character, and sorta fell in love with the actress who played her. She did a great job, and had sort of a Lauren Ambrose vibe.

WhiteTigerShiro:
The Michael Cera cynics are missing out if they stubbornly refuse to see this movie purely because it has Michael Cera. Sure it's annoying that he's always playing the same role, but this movie is just too good for a minor hang-up like that. It isn't just "okay" like his other movies.

Finally someone here is making sense. I agree wholeheartedly. Seriously people, he's just one guy....ONE GUY. You're making him out to be the anti-christ. Sometimes I think people get too worked up over things that really don't need to be.

And I'm the one going gray at 20...sheesh. There is no justice in the world.

Movie was awesome, Michael Cera nailed Scott. Ramona was great, and Wallace...well Wallace was a champ. The only thing I'd like to have seen was the closure with Envy. But on that note, Clash at the Demon Head sounded exactly like I imagined they would. Amazing, I went and downloaded that song when I got home. Going to buy the soundtrack for sure.

What a great movie, you guys hating on one aspect of it are missing out.

Well, Bob, thank you for your review. I trust your judgment, but since I'm also one of those unforgivable, elitist, spoiled brats you name-checked in your "Why Movies Suck" article, I'll wait for DVD. I have the creeping Fear this is going to be another one of those Avatar moments where everyone else sees a film made of pure gold rather than the shamelessly crass exploitation of one of the many subculture I happen to belong to. In this case, nerds.

Right, I just saw it. Let's partake in a little exercise.

Now, stand up, step blinking into the sunlight. Yes, outside. Go on. Down to the cinema, and watch this film. Do not download it from some douche bag torrent site. Go watch it. Now.

You will not regret it.

I have been reading through the comments here and I began to realize that this is a love or hate thing or more accurately a love it or do not get it thing.

Especially Nomanlander's post led me to the conclusion that this film is basically a generation piece aimed at a very specific audience who's life and emotional world is similar to the characters and their life and its circumstances.

Bob nailed it when he said that this is about the relationships of the contemporary generation and video games and indie music is a way to express the people's inner turmoil.

As such it is not a big surprise that some people do not have the "right" access to this material.

MovieBob:

aeric90:
If I am not mistaken, I just saw a post release trailer with review blurbs that quoted "One of the best movies of the year." attributed to Bob Chipman. Awesome.

If so, it's news to me - though I'd be keen to see it if so...

Someone just pointed out that I was mistaken and that I should "...get a bigger #@$%ing television, squinty." The name ended in 'man' but my terrible tv made it hard to make out the rest of the name which was overlayed on graphics. Sorry. :P

Crazy_Bird:
I have been reading through the comments here and I began to realize that this is a love or hate thing or more accurately a love it or do not get it thing.

You do realize that "love or do not get" is a further polarizing statement (and a rather old one, at that), right?

Love is not a prerequisite of understanding. I understand my job as well as any schmoe in the office. Does that mean I have to love it?

Stick with love or hate.

Marmooset:
You do realize that "love or do not get" is a further polarizing statement (and a rather old one, at that), right?

Scott Pilgrim is intended as a personal story. As such it is possible that some people are touched by the story on a level of understanding because they can identify themselves with the questions at hand and they experienced something similar. Possibly the story reach them on an almost subconscious level.

The middle ground is the thing we really differ. as Bob said some people might be disappointed because they do not get the finer nuances. I suspect that as a generation piece people born before the people displayed in the film/comic have a greater obstacle to appreciate the film as a whole.

Then there is the hate crowd because they don't like Michael Cera or the video game references are too blatant. Fair enough.

So in total we are talking about three fractions rather than two. Yet again there is neither black nor white nor a single shade of grey.

I never thought I'd hear "Intelligent" in the same sentence as "Romantic Comedy".

Considery me baffled.

Unfortunately I couldn't see it opening night, but I am totally going to see this movie when I can. This just reafirmed my position to see it.

This is why video game movies fail miserably: they were made with a genre or particular game in mind. Instead, this is a movie that IS games, through and through, coursing through its veins.

They were not geek references, or any sort of geekiness, these were hispter references. And hipsterism is the shallow deathbed of western youth culture.

As is the movie. The whole overly self-conscious pretension of hipsterism seeps from every pore of this flashy mess.

Crazy_Bird:

Marmooset:

Scott Pilgrim is intended as a personal story. As such it is possible that some people are touched by the story on a level of understanding because they can identify themselves with the questions at hand and they experienced something similar. Possibly the story reach them on an almost subconscious level.

The middle ground is the thing we really differ. as Bob said some people might be disappointed because they do not get the finer nuances. I suspect that as a generation piece people born before the people displayed in the film/comic have a greater obstacle to appreciate the film as a whole.

Then there is the hate crowd because they don't like Michael Cera or the video game references are too blatant. Fair enough.

So in total we are talking about three fractions rather than two. Yet again there is neither black nor white nor a single shade of grey.

Are you genuinely saying that because I think this film will be shit (haven't seen it it's not out yet but I have read the awful books) is because I'm too old?

Too old and too cryptofascist maybe? if you get that reference you're too old too.

Nerf Ninja:

Are you genuinely saying that because I think this film will be shit (haven't seen it it's not out yet but I have read the awful books) is because I'm too old?

The short provocative answer: Yes, being too old might impair the enjoyment of Scott Pilgrim.
Popular and youth culture can be a series of elusive trends and as such their half-life is quite short.

So the big questions can the story reach you on a personal level?
I believe from my personal experience and some comments in this thread that it is less likely though far from impossible that the foundations of relationship in the early adulthood differ and portraying contemporary "mating rites" is what Scott Pilgrim is about.
Since I happen to know people, male and female, who fit some of the archetypes in Scott Pilgrim very well.

So is this unique to a current generation? Not really. It is more about your personal experience that effects your view on the movie and comic books.
Is this unique to the current generation? Nope, but I figure that relationships and the accompanying values have change over the time and as such the contemporary generation is more likely to reflect some of their own behaviour and identify themselves with the character better.

Crazy_Bird:

Nerf Ninja:

The short provocative answer: Yes, being too old might impair the enjoyment of Scott Pilgrim.
Popular and youth culture can be a series of elusive trends and as such their half-life is quite short.

So the big questions can the story reach you on a personal level?
I believe from my personal experience and some comments in this thread that it is less likely though far from impossible that the foundations of relationship in the early adulthood differ and portraying contemporary "mating rites" is what Scott Pilgrim is about.
Since I happen to know people, male and female, who fit some of the archetypes in Scott Pilgrim very well.

So is this unique to a current generation? Not really. It is more about your personal experience that effects your view on the movie and comic books.
Is this unique to the current generation? Nope, but I figure that relationships and the accompanying values have change over the time and as such the contemporary generation is more likely to reflect some of their own behaviour and identify themselves with the character better.

You're probably right in that I am too old to get this film and I probably don't even WANT to get this film, as after reading the books I found Scott Pilgrims character to be whiney, shallow, delusional and pampered. I honestly can't see his personal journey through the books. Everything is given to him, even his own emotions and motivations are handed to him. He doesn't really need to persevere for anything as it is just given to him.

Quite frankly I'm glad I'm not "in" when it comes to this culture if he's the poster child.

Great video, thanks for posting this. Had no idea what the plot was to this movie until I saw this and went out and watched it a few days after I saw this review. It was fun.

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:
Wow, am I the only one who thinks this movie is going to suck?

I desperately wanted him to hate it. Frankly, I'm probably still not going to see it, because Bob has been wrong before.

(Daybreakers and Splice came close to what he said, but instead turned to crap. Please don't ask me to explain why. I can, I just don't want to.)

I thought it looked like Shitte too, but people have been saying it's good. I love the comics, but it wasn't all about video game jokes throughout it. And I Bob was right, Micheal Cera plays too nice of a person i suppose to really cover some parts where Scott does some asshole-ish stuff.

I liked its flashy visuals and clever jokes. Kinda reminded me of Speed Racer. But I'm going to have to differ with you on the "in-depth relationship study" front, Bob. It made a nice point about hurt dealt and hurt received in relationships, but as for dealing with it and other aspects, it skimmed right on by to the eye-popping fight scenes. :( too bad. it could've been a leetle more reflective, like ( I hate to say it) Juno.

But it's all great, amusing entertainment in the end. I mean, it's not like anyone was expecting Schindler's List or anything. :P

Celtic_Kerr:

Aenir:
Huh, I'm intrigued.

A movie where the main character has to face 7 bosses?

Not just seven bosses. The girl of his dreams' seven evil Ex-BFs.

One's a girl if I remember the comic correctly.

Heh heh awwright.

Just saw this movie, and I agree. It's awesome! After seeing this, Toy Story 3 and Inception, I can't help but think that this hasn't been that bad of a year for films.

Come on Bob, review Vampires Suck next week! I really want a laugh.

Douk:

Celtic_Kerr:

Aenir:
Huh, I'm intrigued.

A movie where the main character has to face 7 bosses?

Not just seven bosses. The girl of his dreams' seven evil Ex-BFs.

One's a girl if I remember the comic correctly.

Heh heh awwright.

Again, really don't wanna flame your post, but I've been corrected on this Six or seven times on this thread. PLease check to see if I've been correct and/or admitted I was wrong before correcting me again.

It can get a tad annoying to get e-mail after e-mail on the same thing

cobra_ky:

MovieBob:
"A thoughtful, resonant and mature study of relationships among young adults in the modern era"

You... you can't be serious. Bob, if you (or anyone else here) honestly believes that, then answer me this:

As portrayed in the movie, why does Ramona feel ANY attraction Scott whatsoever?

How can you call this movie a "thoughtful, resonant, and mature study" of young adult relationships when it complete glosses the female perspective? As you pointed out later in the review:

There are plenty of women in real life that date jerks that treat them far worse for reason outside parties could not possibly understand. Considering that Ramona's dating history is a history of poor choices in men, why do people think that there would be no attraction on her part just because scott is a jerk...

I have no intention of seeing this movie, maybe I will once it's on DVD and they shove it on demand same day on cable. I no longer enjoy movie theaters, sure, going to the movies is an entirely different experience than say just sitting on my couch at home with my family and watching on the HD TV. But that's exactly why I don't like it anymore, I like staying in my comfy home with my family and watching movies instead of going out and experiencing everything that theaters offer today, which is higher prices and the even more annoying public who will watch anything with no prior taste or intelligence. No offense to anyone who likes that sort of thing, just count me out.

OT: My sister and I have been playing the game released on PSN the past week, it's fun as hell, anyone who hasn't played it yet or seen the movie, I suggest spending your ticket money on the game instead of the movie. It's only $10 so it's already cheaper! Play it with friends or family with couch co-op.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here