Escape to the Movies: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Turbo_ski:

cobra_ky:

MovieBob:
"A thoughtful, resonant and mature study of relationships among young adults in the modern era"

You... you can't be serious. Bob, if you (or anyone else here) honestly believes that, then answer me this:

As portrayed in the movie, why does Ramona feel ANY attraction Scott whatsoever?

How can you call this movie a "thoughtful, resonant, and mature study" of young adult relationships when it complete glosses the female perspective? As you pointed out later in the review:

There are plenty of women in real life that date jerks that treat them far worse for reason outside parties could not possibly understand. Considering that Ramona's dating history is a history of poor choices in men, why do people think that there would be no attraction on her part just because scott is a jerk...

That may be true, but it doesn't change the fact that it's completely unaddressed by the movie.

The problem isn't that Scott's a jerk, the problem is she has no idea who Scott is. If Ramona is simply making another "poor choice in men", then fine, but that's hardly thoughtful or mature.

I feel like I'm too old for this movie. I feel a great disconnect with the kids who grew up under the shadow of 9/11, global terrorism and war. It's like they're so... I dunno.

I guess though not young himself, Edgar Wright is still hip with the young people... either that or whoever wrote those books you were talking about.

Oh and that Michael Cera kid is the ultimate 00's boy. It will be interesting to see what roles he gets in say 10 years. I'm liking all the new actors that are replacing my favorite old ones, and the movies in general, less and less.

Celtic_Kerr:

Aenir:
Huh, I'm intrigued.

A movie where the main character has to face 7 bosses?

Not just seven bosses. The girl of his dreams' seven evil Ex-BFs.

Seven evil Exs. Remember the Les?

cobra_ky:

You... you can't be serious. Bob, if you (or anyone else here) honestly believes that, then answer me this:

As portrayed in the movie, why does Ramona feel ANY attraction Scott whatsoever?

you know just making an effort can land you a girl it's not that unbelievably hard.

cobra_ky:

BTW: if you're trying to appeal to hardcore fans by adapting scenes directly from the comic, don't strip all the narrative significance from them.

not really. the bit about subspace travel was still there. The director just placed some trivia of possibly one of his favourite games into his movie. Not only is this such a small scene but really? upon finally watching the Watchmen movie I was disappointed at the lack of alot of detail in some of the origin stories but man was that still a fantastic movie! Just try not to nit pick so much.

I enjoyed the trailer so much I went out and bought the books. I read all the books and went to see the movie so all I noticed were the scenes that I loved from the books missing (Knives' father fighting Roxie, Scott's brain cracking into a chicken, the "Dipping Sauce Bitch", the first fight with the vegan and of course, I'd kick your life in the balls) so I didn't enjoy the movie too much. I'm thinking I should let the books out of my brain before revisiting it with a more neutral pallet.

Finally ,ive really been waiting for this movie to come out, i hope its as awesome as you say.

I don't know about the movie yet, but in the comics Ramona is a pretty selfish and self-centered nigh-emo queen with lousy taste in relationships.

So honestly, Scott is one of her better achievements. They're a match made in heaven.

PayneTrayne:
I'm thinking I should let the books out of my brain before revisiting it with a more neutral pallet.

Expectation is a bitch, really.

I used to feel bad about seeing some movies before I read the respective books, but now I know that it does not matter at all. Every film needs to hold up all on its own.

Even if the source material is great on many levels, like this one is.

cobra_ky:

Turbo_ski:

cobra_ky:

MovieBob:
"A thoughtful, resonant and mature study of relationships among young adults in the modern era"

How can you call this movie a "thoughtful, resonant, and mature study" of young adult relationships when it complete glosses the female perspective? As you pointed out later in the review:

There are plenty of women in real life that date jerks that treat them far worse for reason outside parties could not possibly understand. Considering that Ramona's dating history is a history of poor choices in men, why do people think that there would be no attraction on her part just because scott is a jerk...

That may be true, but it doesn't change the fact that it's completely unaddressed by the movie.

The problem isn't that Scott's a jerk, the problem is she has no idea who Scott is. If Ramona is simply making another "poor choice in men", then fine, but that's hardly thoughtful or mature.

Note that the reason you like many people in relationship in real life can go unanswered for a long itme. I've dated girls I've had no idea why I liked until much later, but the initial attraction was enough to spark the relationship.

You don't need a reason to start a relationship or to be attracted to someone.

Besides, if you're talking arbitrary relationships in a movie, there are movies that are far worse for that.

Also, Ramona literally STATES the reason she likes him. She says he's the nicest person she ever dated, and she needed to be with something like that right now.

Shame it utterly bob-ombed at the box office then huh.

captainwillies:

cobra_ky:

BTW: if you're trying to appeal to hardcore fans by adapting scenes directly from the comic, don't strip all the narrative significance from them.

not really. the bit about subspace travel was still there. The director just placed some trivia of possibly one of his favourite games into his movie. Not only is this such a small scene but really?

I'm talking about the scene at the party. Scott's first conversation with Ramona is the only significant event there and he denies it ever happened. So what does that scene add to the movie, aside from the opportunity for a few jokes? They could have gone straight from Scott seeing her at the library to him ordering the package and waiting for her.

captainwillies:
upon finally watching the Watchmen movie I was disappointed at the lack of alot of detail in some of the origin stories but man was that still a fantastic movie! Just try not to nit pick so much.

but I like nitpicking... ;_;

And i liked the movie, too. I don't mean to imply that I didn't. But I enjoyed it for what it was: a fun comedy romp through a post-adolescent fantasy world. It's a decent coming of age story, but not a great modern romance.

yanipheonu:

Note that the reason you like many people in relationship in real life can go unanswered for a long itme. I've dated girls I've had no idea why I liked until much later, but the initial attraction was enough to spark the relationship.

You don't need a reason to start a relationship or to be attracted to someone.

Besides, if you're talking arbitrary relationships in a movie, there are movies that are far worse for that.

Also, Ramona literally STATES the reason she likes him. She says he's the nicest person she ever dated, and she needed to be with something like that right now.

I'm not saying it's impossible for cool, attractive women to show up at your door and fall into your lap for reasons neither of you understand. Just that it's highly unlikely and it damn sure isn't thoughtful or resonant. Of course there are plenty of movies with much, much worse romances, but that doesn't make the romance in this movie particularly good.

yanipheonu:

Did you read my first post? Bob addressed this right in his review:

MovieBob:
"While Scott IS sensitive and thoughtful, he's also a real jerk. He's whiny, selfish, shallow and he shamelessly milks his innate helplessness for female sympathy. So all the fighting is less about proving himself to Ramona, whose already lived enough of life to have him pretty well figured out."

Scott is a pretty big jerk in a lot of ways. When Ramona gets mad at him later he says he's "a evil-ex waiting to happen". Like I said before, why does Ramona stay with him when she knows he's kind of a tool and she could do better?

Now, maybe you're right, and Ramona did fall for the first semi-nice guy who came her way. but if that's the case, then that's a far cry from "a thoughtful, resonant, and mature study of relationships among young adults in the modern era".

PayneTrayne:
I enjoyed the trailer so much I went out and bought the books. I read all the books and went to see the movie so all I noticed were the scenes that I loved from the books missing (Knives' father fighting Roxie, Scott's brain cracking into a chicken, the "Dipping Sauce Bitch", the first fight with the vegan and of course, I'd kick your life in the balls) so I didn't enjoy the movie too much. I'm thinking I should let the books out of my brain before revisiting it with a more neutral pallet.

Agreed. This is my other big nitpick about the movie: It's wildly inconsistent in how faithful it is to the books. Some scenes and dialogue are lifted verbatim, while others are rearranged or changed completely. That, along with the lightning-quick pacing of the movie creates a lot of cognitive dissonance for people who know the books well. Being forced to constantly recontextualize events and plot points as they continue to happen in rapid succession made the film difficult for me to follow.

People need to get over the whole "Michael Cera is teh sux" thing.

I hardly pay attention to which actor is in what film, and prefer to concentrate on the characters and plot rather than the actors themselves, and I think I get more enjoyment out of films that way. At least I don't bitch and moan about whatever actor being in whatever film. I just see the movie, and if it's bad, it's bad, and if it's good, it's good.

At the end of the day, I enjoyed the movie. That's all that really matters.

Celtic_Kerr:

Aenir:
Huh, I'm intrigued.

So...she's a whore?

ziggy161:

Celtic_Kerr:

Aenir:
Huh, I'm intrigued.

So...she's a whore?

Ramona gives a little back story of each of them actually... She dated the first because he was the only non-jock who was into her in grade 6, so they teamed up and beat the shit out the Jocks. In grade 7 hse dated another, in Grade 10 I think she dated one but he had to go off to vegan academy (watch movie for story). A few of them she actually only kissed, and some he didn't date very long. She's not a whore, she just lives in the moment...

The movie was decent, but fell far short of the books. The main issue is probably the movie's failure to convey any form of chemistry between Scott and Ramona that I could see, and how the movie made Scott far more of a "hero" character than the books ever did.

Can't wait to see this, the comics are awesome and so is Edgar Wright. Too bad im in britain so i have to wait :(

just saw it, and

it was good :3, i enjoyed it, enough that i'll wanna buy it when it comes out
the video game touches where done well i though, the characters fun, though, 'the clash at demonhead' pic at the end of the review confused me till i saw it,

got it lol

good review as always btw

ender214:
The movie was decent, but fell far short of the books. The main issue is probably the movie's failure to convey any form of chemistry between Scott and Ramona that I could see, and how the movie made Scott far more of a "hero" character than the books ever did.

Wow. I really wish I had made this post instead of three long, drawn-out argumentative ones.

Watched the movie. Loved it. Nuff said.

I was going to go see the Expendables instead of this, mind changed. Thank you Mr. Bob.

I have to be brutally honest... Get ready... Here it comes...

Not the greatest thing I've seen; In fact I found it to be a 30 min story streched over (almost) 2 hours.

Strip away all the eye candy and rechidly predictable fight scenes and it's basically an episode of Degrassi (also set in Toronto).

In fact... the only memorable moment was the girl ex shouting
"You punched me in the BOOB!"

That and the line nearest to the end where the know-it-all at the door says
"The comics are way better than the movie."

In short... This latest transition-movie makes "Last Airbender" look like an Oscar nomanee!

BTW look for M. Nights latset flick "DEVIL"; Saw the trailer...

HOLY SH*T!!!!!!!!

Ninjamedic:
I'll see it after the expendables.

Just don't see it at all

Just got back from Scott Pilgrim and i LOVED it. the fight scenes were awesome and it was hilarious great film to go along with a great review you rock moviebob!

So I hate teenagers and other little kids, and I generally dislike romantic movies.

Should I still see this movie? I think I can guess the answer but i'll still ask anyways.

This just seemed liek he was looking for reasons for people to go see it beyond the video game angle. Let me explain. The whole verbal diarrea describing the "relationships" and what not just seemed like you were forcing yourself to like it. From what I've seen and heard about this movie, you are giving it WAY too much praise for its protrayel of relationships for kids these days.

I'd see it fi i wasn't paying for a ticket. Oh and Matt Serra should quit while he's ahead and stop playing the dweeby, quite, teenage loser roles, though he is well suited for it, being a dweey, quite, teenage loser.

Fucking amazing, saw it yesterday as the first day it came out in Ireland.

Got a final fantasy reference and two zelda references, i was adequately pleased. =P

Celtic_Kerr:

Aenir:
Huh, I'm intrigued.

not seven evil Ex-BFs, 7 deadly X's =P
also BFs could also mean best friends

misterprickly:

Strip away all the eye candy and rechidly predictable fight scenes and it's basically an episode of Degrassi (also set in Toronto).

Wait, what? Predictable fight scenes? I watched the movie last night, and in what way were the fight scenes predictable? Are you sure you didn't accidental go see the expendables?

Also this movie is amazing :D

Having now seen the movie to be honest I'm somewhat dissapointed. It was okay but not great like I'd been led to believe. The fight scenes seemed a little lacking and the dialog was not that great in my mind.

Dawntheif:

Wait, what? Predictable fight scenes? I watched the movie last night, and in what way were the fight scenes predictable?

Predictable in the fact that Scott had to beat the first ex in order to fight the next ex.

I mean come on... It's not like Rocky 1 where you think Rocky's gonna beat Creed and take the belt.

Jeeze louise! Even the trailers show him beating the one to get to the next.

I CALL THAT PREDICTABLE!!!!!

Actually That's NOT predictable... It's a built in SPOILER.

The real question is "Even after beating the ex's does he still get the girl?"

I really -REALLY- wish that I could go see this movie. I've read all the books and I totally love Scott Pilgrim.

...but for some strange inexplicable reason the cinemas here in Sweden has decided that this movie isn't worth showing. I've emailed the different cinema chains and the only response I've gotten has been "Yea..well..we haven't planned to show the movie. But you know, stranger things have happened so maybe sometime in the future if you're really lucky."

How the -hell- am I supposed to see this movie? I seriously want to see this movie, but if I have to wait a year for the DVD release to have a chance of seeing it (legally) then I'm going to be seriously fucking pissed. Oh, and before some wise guy says it, travelling out of the country is -so- not an option for watching a film. :)

I just saw this and maybe the most fun I've had in a cinema in years. It may not be as in depth as Inception or as touching as Toy Story 3, but Scott Pilgrim is a hell of a lot of fun. This is something I could watch a dozen times (I am getting the DVD day one) and never bore of it. Some fun jokes, great visuals and style and epic fight scenes.

I sincerely hope films like this continue to be made as often I enjoy having some pure fun when I go out to the cinema.

I just saw this film today. It's a sheer spectacle of ridiculousness. Also, the female characters are much better than all the male ones.

Sorry bob, but while I almost always have agreed with you on most things (Though I've always been a Sega fanboy, not a Nintendo one) both movie and video game related, I absolutely hate, hate, hate hated this movie. I hated it so much. You mention No More Heroes as a good identifier to see if it's up my alley. I fucking love No More Heroes, but I still hated this movie. A friend said, "If you like anime you'll like this movie", that ended up being untrue as well. Cinema Snob said "If you think Invader Zim is funny", which I do, but I still hated this movie.

It is, from top to bottom, poorly written hipster bullshit garbage. I guess I would best describe it as Shitty Hipster Canadian Fooly Cooly. Speaking of which, being a professional musician myself and loving FLCL, seeing Michael Cera with a Rickenbacker bass guitar was absolutely rage inducing. I don't think I've ever seen a movie that left me this angry. The last one I can think of is Tranformers: ROTF, but while horrible, I went to see it out of bile fascination, not hopeful that it would be good like I thought this would be.

Scott still seems awkward to me. He feels so bland and uninteresting, despite him being something of a douchey airhead. I still feel like he is there as author/audience wish fulfillment, like the film is trying to force me into thinking he's cool.

I also don't get the 7 evil exes. I don't understand it at all. Like, I get that it's trying to be a send up to video games, but even the worst excuse plot still has some logic. Take No More Heroes for example. The excuse plot of the game is that you're an assassin in an assassin's guild of sorts. If you challenge and kill the assassin who out ranks you, you receive their rank. That at least has some logic involved. But seven evil exes? What? WHY!? I don't get it. Everyone has told me "It's a metaphor for the emotional baggage Ramona has. She's being haunted by the evil exes because she's letting herself be haunted by them." I'm not seeing it.

I hate the video game and pop culture references here. It feels really juvenile to me. Its like "Hey! You sure like video games, right? I do too! Lets be friends!" Its just feels like the most shallow way to try to appeal to me. This movie isn't funny in the least either. And even with Scott's character development, I can barely see it in the final act. He makes different choices, but I haven't seen him mature and change. I'm not buying how he comes to his almost non existent change.

This is easily the worst thing Edgar Wright has done.

I haven't read the comics (Which have just the most insipid awful art by the way). After seeing this I probably never will.

I have a feeling that in a few years people won't care about this movie anymore. I feel like people are being blinded by the video game references and the idea that this movie is about them, that this movie gets them. I can't really think of a movie about the hipster crowd of our generation that really 'gets' them. I don't think it appeals to hipster sensibilities except in the most shallow of ways.

I just don't get this movie. I don't get the appeal. Can anyone explain this thing to me?

Also, not only that, but as a musician, the fucking music was awful. ABSOLUTELY AWFUL. First off, what self respecting bassist primarily uses a pick? Second, the "Bass battle" was garbage. Name me a serious bassist (I.E. not terrible) that uses a mustang bass?

Mortrialus:

I also don't get the 7 evil exes. I don't understand it at all. Like, I get that it's trying to be a send up to video games, but even the worst excuse plot still has some logic. Take No More Heroes for example. The excuse plot of the game is that you're an assassin in an assassin's guild of sorts. If you challenge and kill the assassin who out ranks you, you receive their rank. That at least has some logic involved. But seven evil exes? What? WHY!? I don't get it. Everyone has told me "It's a metaphor for the emotional baggage Ramona has. She's being haunted by the evil exes because she's letting herself be haunted by them." I'm not seeing it.

You simultaneously missed the point of a movie you liked and one you hated, good job.

The exes aren't literally there, not every movie should be taken by face value.. try thinking a little.

You watching this movie is like some other retard watching V for Vendetta for the explosions.

s0beit:

Mortrialus:

You simultaneously missed the point of a movie you liked and one you hated, good job.

The exes aren't literally there, not every movie should be taken by face value.. try thinking a little.

You watching this movie is like some other retard watching V for Vendetta for the explosions.

First, No More Heroes isn't a movie. Second, I didn't miss anything. No More Heroes is a deconstruction of the usual video game excuse plots. The contrast between the ranked matches and the intermissions between help highlight the crazy, exciting nature of the ranked matches, and the complacent normalcy of Travis's day to day life. Both the player and Travis are simply trudging through the missions and jobs, just waiting for the next ranked match to spice up the gameplay. In the end, it turned around into a striking statement about emotional escapism through video games. There is nothing like that in Scott Pilgrim. The exes amount to nothing in this movie. They're just a gimmick, not a metaphor.

You strike me as a geeky, video game hipster whose blinded by "OMG VIDEO GAME REFERNCES YAY THIS MOVIE GETS ME" to see just how much of an empty, shallow piece of shit this movie really is.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here