Zero Punctuation: Shadow of the Colossus

Pages PREV 1 . . . 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 NEXT

Pretty much everyone who's saying "BAAAAWWWW SHADOW OF COLOOSUS IZ OVER HYPED AND HAZ BAD CONTROLS?!?!?!!!!" obviously did not understand the game.

The point of the game was not "just to kill the colossi"
The point of the game was not to just be boring.
The point of the game was definitely not RUN SHOOT BANG KILL ZOOM WAHEY (which is what so many people wish it was)

The point of the game was to make the player FEEL something. EMOTIONS, remember what those are? It was made to make you feel cold, desperate, lonely, scared, exhilarated, and many other things. It made you sad when one of the main characters died, it made you vaguely hopeful at the end, it made you feel helpless in the face of the colossi. THAT was more the point and just the fact that it made me feel so many different things is what overshadows the less-than-perfect controls and whatever other bullshit people complain about.

Damn Damn Good Good Damn Good Damn Good....ITS THE KONAMI CODE, PEOPLE!

Didn't he say Portal was perfect? Anyway I hope they release Shadow of the Colossus with Ico in a PS3 double re-release pack, I want to play it but my PS2 controller at this state barely functions. The analog stick travels, some buttons push themselves at random occasions, and the rubber on the analog sticks has this really weird feeling to it now.

i absolutely love this game. it's so much fun just running around killing big ass monsters with a sowing needle. i would have to say that the thing about when the colossi get smaller, they tend to be harder to do shit to, and they're much faster, and trying to hurt it is a much longer process than most other colossi(not the final one, i still never found out how to beat that nasty bitch).

though, on the SCII note, i would have to say while not playing it, it looks alright i guess. i'm not a big fan of RTS but i don't think it's a genre to so lightly disregard. plus, halo wars was just an awful game, and while i haven't played many RTSs, i know that you should at least give SCII a try since you only played a really bad one. supposedly, starcraft is like the best next to dawn of war when it comes to RTSs. so maybe give it a look at.

on the not many games note, try the new PSN game scott pilgrim vs. the world. i found it to be fun and it's something new to all the games companies keep shitting out lately.

One of my most favorite games of all time. A true masterpiece in gaming.

yay!! for Yahtzee reviewing a GOOD game >.> .... er .. excellent game
and even more for being one he LIKED

:3 and yes, if you make it to my post, it IS that good, 16 fights that can take a good while if you've never played it

eclw:
What's with the 'man up' thing?

'Man up and review the game...'

Man up and fight a grizzly bear. Man up and phone your mum. But man up and review a computer game? Girlfriend, please.

You are a legend. I just died laughing; more so because it reminded me of a time in New York when we were sitting on a rooftop balcony under the Empire State Building, and this girl told my friend to 'Man up and drink your cosmo.'

OT: I really wish I could experience this game. It's a wee bit cruel, Yahtzee, to review a game that I can't buy and even then couldn't get hold of the system to run it on, you callous misanthrope ;)

reiem531:
Pretty much everyone who's saying "BAAAAWWWW SHADOW OF COLOOSUS IZ OVER HYPED AND HAZ BAD CONTROLS?!?!?!!!!" obviously did not understand the game.

The point of the game was not "just to kill the colossi"
The point of the game was not to just be boring.
The point of the game was definitely not RUN SHOOT BANG KILL ZOOM WAHEY (which is what so many people wish it was)

The point of the game was to make the player FEEL something. EMOTIONS, remember what those are? It was made to make you feel cold, desperate, lonely, scared, exhilarated, and many other things. It made you sad when one of the main characters died, it made you vaguely hopeful at the end, it made you feel helpless in the face of the colossi. THAT was more the point and just the fact that it made me feel so many different things is what overshadows the less-than-perfect controls and whatever other bullshit people complain about.

>.> it had bad controls? ..... didn't notice,

but that probably had to do with the walking building i was trying to kill with a tooth pick
but i can't say i felt lonely, scared or desperate, more over whelmed though,

my reaction to the first colossi was 'your fucking kidding, i have to kill THAT, with a sword and bow?!?!?!' and that feeling repeated it self a few more times, the 'turtle' being a particular pain in my ass to just get ON, and whats more, killing one left me a greater sense of accomplishment then most any other boss fight, in any game

angelblack:

MajoraPersona:
It's like trying to get a famous neuro-surgeon to perform a heart transplant; wrong area of expertise.

This is stupid. People are not asking Bioware to make an RTS, they are asking a critic to criticize.

There's a HUGE difference between MAKING something (where the term 'area of expertise' applies) and CRITICIZING something.

Yes. One involves investing a large amount of time to create, from a basic model, an interactive experience from a jumble of data. The other requires a steady hand, intense focus for hours on end, and results in aiding someone in surviving a little bit longer. Or has the nature of similes changed since I was ten years old?

Are you one of those people who weren't there for the whole Ebert debacle? Where a famous movie critic said that video games aren't art? Just as the title of 'movie critic' does not make one suited to review video games, being a 'video game critic' does not automatically make someone an expert on how video games work.

Yahtzee does not play RTS games. He does not enjoy them. Therefore, he would not be suited to tell others what is wrong with the game, as, for the most part, he may not be clear on what is and what isn't supposed to be integral to the game genre as a whole.

Yahtzee's reviews tend to focus on pointing out flaws in a variety of games. Variety, in this case, refers to primarily FPS games, sprinkled with the occasional platformer, RPG, or action game. Plus one or two about Guitar Hero. And the USA.

For those of you who aren't completely stupid, I apologize for this rant. It's only said the things that have been stated a million times before, but I feel it bears repeating until everybody gets it.

TLDR: No you.

Not much talk of Agro the horse. I'm a little disappointed with that since it was your only companion in the entire bloody game.

I lol'd Hard

Just a vague observation:

Yahtzee seems to do more entertaining reviews when he's analyzing something he actually likes. With this in mind perhaps it would be better for him to have free rein on what he chooses to look at, rather than what's currently being pressed in the game shops?

I can understand that reviewing what's current helps his circulation, but I would imagine that it's really rather high by now. If he has more fun with what he does, the quality improves (IMO) and so people are more likely to watch his work week after week, thus maintaining this - admittedly rather unique - aspect of his career by having a more satisfied fan base.

Again, just what I think based on the comments for the last few reviews and this one.

COOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTTTTTTTRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYY!

Not only have I always wanted him to do this review but it looks like we have the same favourite colossus.

Flying snake thing FTW
(Number 13 if you don't know)

Anti Nudist Cupcake:
yahtzee loving a game?
I think a puppy just died somewhere.

Oh c'mon, this isn't the first time, although it is a very rare sight to see.

Flamezdudes:
i have no PS2 anymore

WHY!? Please tell me it just broke and you didn't foolishily sell it/throw it away.

Yahtzee you are very naive and stupid. Prolly cuz u live 1000s of miles away from anything important.

Horny Ico:

Malmer:
3. Disney ending with birds and flowers. CHECK.

That's a nice bullshit mountain you have there. What's so Disney about not being allowed to enjoy your victory because you've been turned into a baby?

Forgiveness and rebirth. Fate worse than death.

Also: http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/4995/birdsnflowers.jpg

i always enjoy when you do reviews of the older games =D
i haven't played sotc yet (im working on getting it >_<) but the part about not wanting to stop playing just to see what the next guy was like seems to be what always happens to me when i play the nmh games
sotc seems to take that feeling to a whole other level though so ill be sure to pick it up soon

This game needed a little something something. I think having some hidden treasure around the world would be pretty fun. Add to the whole exploration idea.

I wasn't aware Disney owned the copyright on flora and fauna. Better not include those in any future games, video game developers! Nature is now a trademark of Walt Disney Studios!

Incidentally, that garden is on top of the shrine and you can ascend to it if you have either mad skills or a high enough grip gauge.

The game does have hidden items, but they wanted to focus on the idea of accomplishing a seemingly impossible goal with limited resources the first time around. It's a game that rather forces you into the confines of a more realistic, if unreasonable set of expectations, rather than having little tidbits here and there from the machinations of God Almighty to help you along.

And yes, it is the consumer's fault if they have completely different expectations for a game than what they receive. Granted, it's less fair to the consumer when the game first comes out and they have few resources to draw upon to have any idea what the game is about, but if a player picked up Pacman and expected Castle Wolfenstein, is it the developers' fault for Pacman not having shotguns and shooting arena goodness?

Malmer:
What is this.
My immediate thought was this: Hey, here might just be the first person who dare to speak out against the hype of the internet masses. But no. Nobody in the world dares speak against the almighty "Shadow of the Colossus". This arid piece of mundane code.

1. Ride forever in brown/green landscapes. CHECK.
2. 10 minutes of figuring out how to beat thing. Climb, fall, retry for over half an hour till dead. CHECK.

Must be the most pedestrian 6 hours of gaming time I've ever spent. Can a game this short even be released these days without catching hell?
For enhanced entertainment value, next time hype me some DICE.

...Not sure if trolling or if this is one of those opinions people throw out because it sounds so silly and dated. 0_o

Malmer:
What is this.
My immediate thought was this: Hey, here might just be the first person who dare to speak out against the hype of the internet masses. But no. Nobody in the world dares speak against the almighty "Shadow of the Colossus". This arid piece of mundane code.

1. Ride forever in brown/green landscapes. CHECK.
2. 10 minutes of figuring out how to beat thing. Climb, fall, retry for over half an hour till dead. CHECK.

Must be the most pedestrian 6 hours of gaming time I've ever spent. Can a game this short even be released these days without catching hell?
For enhanced entertainment value, next time hype me some DICE.

^Once again, this person did not understand the game and is still bitter about it.

decent video and i like sc2 and shadow of the colossus now maybe i should finish it

RAWR I hate those full page ad things. Can't I watch a video without clogging my RAM's arteries and being forcibly distracted by the latest Stupid RPG 6?

Anyway, this was one of his best ones for a long time. But he seems to have trouble ending his videos lately. "DAMN DAMN DAMN GOOD" didn't quite have the same ring as "Whistled for a babboon."

I love you, Yahtzee.

Well, I'd like that 5 minutes of my life back. At first I thought that it's a little odd seeing review of a game that's been out for god knows how long; I thought that maybe there is another newly released title that somehow had the exact same name or something. But I was wrong.

I've always thought that the swearing thing fits Yahtzee really well, because it sort of gives me the impression that this guy means business. But now I realized that Yahtzee only swears becuase he is a cunt, a dick that like to screw every living thing on the face of the Earth.

Well, my patience with Yahtzee is running thin, so I told myself that the next time I saw something this unprofessional, I should stop watching zero-punctuation for good. I mean there was the DC tour where it's basically couple minutes watching couple dudes driving, and there is this tantrum.......enough is enough !!

There were things in SOTC that I still don't understand how they did. You can be holding on to a grassy wall, and have it turn into a ceiling, then a floor, while you're still holding on, with no scripts or breaks. I have yet to see that reproduced in any modern game. Not to mention having giant lumbering entities maneuvering around relatively small and occasionally obstacle-ridden environments in a realistic fashion. Also, aside from the first and the last colossi, all of them would be fine if they would just ignore you...I always found this interesting.

Glad that he didn't review SCII.

It's one of those games that I really don't have to read anything about. Whatever opinion people will have on StarCraft II will probably just be the same opinion on the original StarCraft.

Was no expecting Shadow of the Colossus, though.

I'm still sad this has never come to PC. Sounds like a truly spectacular game.

NeverMemory:
Well, I'd like that 5 minutes of my life back. At first I thought that it's a little odd seeing review of a game that's been out for god knows how long; I thought that maybe there is another newly released title that somehow had the exact same name or something. But I was wrong.

I've always thought that the swearing thing fits Yahtzee really well, because it sort of gives me the impression that this guy means business. But now I realized that Yahtzee only swears becuase he is a cunt, a dick that like to screw every living thing on the face of the Earth.

Well, my patience with Yahtzee is running thin, so I told myself that the next time I saw something this unprofessional, I should stop watching zero-punctuation for good. I mean there was the DC tour where it's basically couple minutes watching couple dudes driving, and there is this tantrum.......enough is enough !!

Was there actually anything wrong with the video? You should be more specific about your complaint if you want anything done about it. If it was just the fact that he's reviewing an old game, there's not a lot to be done, I don't think anything (important)is really out right now that he hasn't reviewed. I could be wrong...

Casual Shinji:
It's nice to see ZP gush about a game every once in a while. Especially one as amazing as Shadow of The Colossus.

As my shrink used to say: Try to transform that negative energy into something positive.

It does make a refreshing change.

Agreed that SC2 can continue to suck it. The last great RTS game was Company of Heroes.

Nice review overall, I laughed a lot more in this one than the last couple you've done. Then again, maybe it's 'cause I've actually played the game in question this time (  ̄ー ̄)

finalizer:
Agreed that SC2 can continue to suck it. The last great RTS game was Company of Heroes.

Sigh, you don't seem to understand the he doesn't like RTS at all ... neither CoH nor SC2.

The kinder Surprise comment made me miss my childhood of eating those chocolate eggs and fiddling with the tiny toys within. Those were the days... And damn it if they can't be again! Off to the store!!

OT: I can't believe Yahtzee is so disgruntled by the average RTS game that he would actually review something for the Playstation 2. He can make all the comments he wants about how much he thinks they suck, but if you look past it all, you see a scared boy in a hat with a beard who makes more money than me.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here