Review: Madden NFL 11

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Ultimately, there is a large and glaring difference between "you're wrong, here's why" and "you're wrong, go die in a hole". If you can't tell the difference (and judging from his posts here, LordKaT can't), then please get lost.

Delusibeta:
Ultimately, there is a large and glaring difference between "you're wrong, here's why" and "you're wrong, go die in a hole". If you can't tell the difference (and judging from his posts here, LordKaT can't), then please get lost.

then begone, if you can't even care to look at both reviews done by both sides then you are just as bad.

Beside who actually come here for more than Yahtzee anymore anyway. this review has fully sparked drama and yahtzee's video has already doubled the comments with just people saying "good review." I mean really shouldn't you guys get off it and stop fan-boying out. Funk is still a reviewer and LordKat still doesn't give a shit about it and all the crusading in world won't change the fact that almost everyone is here for yahtzee and LLR.

vikeif:

Delusibeta:

then begone, if you can't even care to look at both reviews done by both sides then you are just as bad.

Beside who actually come here for more than Yahtzee anymore anyway. this review has fully sparked drama and yahtzee's video has already doubled the comments with just people saying "good review." I mean really shouldn't you guys get off it and stop fan-boying out. Funk is still a reviewer and LordKat still doesn't give a shit about it and all the crusading in world won't change the fact that almost everyone is here for yahtzee and LLR.

Meh. That may be true, but I don't give a damn about EA Sports games anyway. Although if you (generic you, not you specifically) can't articulate an opposing view to a review without wishing the reviewer fired or dead, then I ain't interested. (Even though as far as I'm concerned, it could be crap in a box or gold in a box, I still wouldn't buy it. Oh, and it's LRR)

TarkXT:
I think part of this massive dichotomy stems from two things.

1. All we have from Mr. Funk (heh) is his word. Sadly we didn't see him play all through the weekend. And I didn't pay much attention so I'm not entirely sure whether he got a review copy or one he got from the local best buy or whatever.

I bought it with my own $60 from the own local gamestop. I plan on playing the hell out of it with my little brother next week when I go on vacation to spend time with the family. Man, I wish EA was paying me off, because then it would have made buying new tires less of a pain :P

I call it like I see it; I can't see what I don't call. I've talked with some other reviewers whom I personally trust at other publications, and... I still haven't found anyone there who'd had this sort of experience. I'm not saying that it DOESN'T happen, but I still haven't seen it.

Anyone is completely entitled to their own opinion as well as disagreeing with our reviews; it's all in how you do it.

vikeif:

Delusibeta:

Actually, looking at our numbers, you'd be very surprised. :) It's more that the community (as a whole) doesn't really care much about sports games more than anything.

John Funk:

tjspeirs:
I watched LordKaT play this game over his livestream. In the first game he played, there were at least 10 fumbles, 4 interceptions, and easily 10 hurt players on both his _and_ the computer opponent's teams.

...what?!

How is that even possible? Because it was raining?! Can't really accept that unless it was raining olive oil! This says nothing of the pathetic looking crowd (literally one group of maybe 15 people that don't fill half the seats) and the fact that New Meadowlands Stadium doesn't exist in this game. That's really pathetic.

See, that's funny, because I played the game all weekend and never saw a thing like that. The worst that happened was a one-in-a-million glitch where a field goal hit an upright and didn't go in, but the announcers acted like it did.

So, I guess it's fair to say that this one experience isn't anywhere near norm :)

LordKaT:

Freebird.:
Just a small tip if you want to stay around here. Don't wish death on staff members. Surely you can see why that's a stupid thing to do.

Protip: Comedy exists outside of your Yhatzee. Sometimes people even use it to emphasize a point in their criticism of an article.

In either case, ban me, probation, whatever you do. It's your community, and I don't particularly care about it. I still think the staff member in question is so phenomenally stupid that they really should never write another article again and instead get a job working in a Deli.

Yes, because my experiences with a game fail to mirror your preconceived notions, and because I found Madden 11 to be the most streamlined and best-playing football game I'd ever touched, this clearly means I am phenomenally stupid and have not been spending the last two years of my life learning how to judge a game on its own merits and on my own experiences.

Yeah, I think you need to take a time out. :)

Good on ya funk. I can't believe jason from that guy with the glassess actually talked to you like that. I would assume he would at least have the minimum of respect to someone who obviously reviews games professionally. He acted like a total game nerd.

Whoops double post sorry about that.

Man dude what a hubub that was. Aren't we talking about madden? Do any of our opinions really matter? I mean any true football fan will buy this game and never think to look at any review. We look at these reviews because were gamers and gamers do that. But the target audience of these games. Aren't gamers! I have an entire family that is way into sports and sports games and all the madden games they've played i've never heard them complain about these things. Mostly because they don't care.

John funk reviewed the game and he reviewed it based on what he learned. End of story. Any third party influencing his decision would be wrong.

Mr. Lordkat got a different experience than him. A bad one but that doesn't excuse him for not using the gentlemanly conduct.

At this point if your really upset that madden keeps doing this then stop buying madden. Hit the madden forums(they have one right?) and voice your opinion there. Also return your game to gamestop and support other football games. Like say backbreaker. Not a better game but if you pour money into them you could get a new competitor to madden.

I am honestly proud of John Funk that he was able to be a pro even when people are breathing down his neck. The pride of the escapist he is.

Armageddonrose:
*Advertising*

oO Apathy oO:
*nerdrage*

MrSimony:
*potty mouth*

LordKat:
*death threats*

Wow. You people do realize that it is possible for a person to have a different experience than others, right? I mean, I know the concept is foreign to most of you but try to keep up; some people actually don't think like you! I know it sounds crazy, but it's true! There are people out there among the planet's 6 billion inhabitants that have different tastes than you.

vikeif:
and all the crusading in world won't change the fact that almost everyone is here for yahtzee and LLR.

Because the majority of TGWTG's traffic isn't for Doug and the Nostalgia Critic series, right?

I have to stick up for LordKat here, admittedly maybe the death threats were a step too far but at the same time this is a guy who has grown up with the madden games and is a lifelong fan, hell youve only gotta go watch his review on his site to understand why he had such issues with this update of the game series. Personally I feel EA banging out a new game of a series every year is a severe oversight on their part cos it never seems to give them enough time to think of how to really improve the gaming series and make it bug free and enjoyable, but I guess it all comes down to just money in the end.

As for LordKat, the guy had a difference of opinion, and you banned him? See now that seems a bit far to me, yes he shouldnt have issued death threats but banning a guy for having a different opinion of a game to one of the main reviewing staff seems a bit much. Having watched a lot of John Funks reviews and LordKats I feel you could have spoken it out calmly and rationally without the need for such a strong action to be taken.

Well thats my thoughts on that situation, as for the game, Im not a big american football fan, last madden game i played was Way back on the mega drive, and the latest american football game ive played, and ill admit i enjoyed, was Blitz: The league II, although a lot of people seem to hate that game and im sure ill get a lot of people telling me how bad they think that game is, and you know what? thats just fine, everyone has thier own opinion.

psychosin:
I have to stick up for LordKat here, admittedly maybe the death threats were a step too far but at the same time this is a guy who has grown up with the madden games and is a lifelong fan, hell youve only gotta go watch his review on his site to understand why he had such issues with this update of the game series. Personally I feel EA banging out a new game of a series every year is a severe oversight on their part cos it never seems to give them enough time to think of how to really improve the gaming series and make it bug free and enjoyable, but I guess it all comes down to just money in the end.

As for LordKat, the guy had a difference of opinion, and you banned him? See now that seems a bit far to me, yes he shouldnt have issued death threats but banning a guy for having a different opinion of a game to one of the main reviewing staff seems a bit much. Having watched a lot of John Funks reviews and LordKats I feel you could have spoken it out calmly and rationally without the need for such a strong action to be taken.

Well thats my thoughts on that situation, as for the game, Im not a big american football fan, last madden game i played was Way back on the mega drive, and the latest american football game ive played, and ill admit i enjoyed, was Blitz: The league II, although a lot of people seem to hate that game and im sure ill get a lot of people telling me how bad they think that game is, and you know what? thats just fine, everyone has thier own opinion.

The guy was not banned for disagreeing, as you can see by this thread other people disagree and that's perfectly fine.

Wishing death upon staff is a bit of a no-no :) It's very against our forum policies, even in jest, and that was why he was banned.

I can accept that sir, as I can appreciate your years of game reviewing and journalism. It is a shame that death threats were used as usually the guy seems totally on the level, I guess seeing a review of a game series that he feels the latest entry was the death knell of it, and yet you enjoyed a lot really got to him, something I can understand as I still don't get why all the hatred of mirror's edge myself, sure its glitched and not the longest game in the world but ive played worse. Hell pimp my ride the game comes to mind.

vikeif:
and all the crusading in world won't change the fact that almost everyone is here for yahtzee and LLR.

Because the majority of TGWTG's traffic isn't for Doug and the Nostalgia Critic series, right?

consider that ThatGuyWithTheGlasses is a name referring to Doug himself I would think that most poeple go to TWTG to see his stuff, and considering almost ever TGWTG contributor has their own website (lordkat, spoony, cinemasnob, etc.) and that you can just go to their blip account directly and watch their movies as well, I would think that yeah Doug is the reason most peeps flock there.

Unlike here where Yahtzee is only employed to do entertaining little videos that you can only see here and here alone. Hell, LRR had it's own site but most of their work can on be viewed here and if you go to their site it shows a embed player linked to here.

John Funk:

TarkXT:
I think part of this massive dichotomy stems from two things.

1. All we have from Mr. Funk (heh) is his word. Sadly we didn't see him play all through the weekend. And I didn't pay much attention so I'm not entirely sure whether he got a review copy or one he got from the local best buy or whatever.

I bought it with my own $60 from the own local gamestop. I plan on playing the hell out of it with my little brother next week when I go on vacation to spend time with the family. Man, I wish EA was paying me off, because then it would have made buying new tires less of a pain :P

I call it like I see it; I can't see what I don't call. I've talked with some other reviewers whom I personally trust at other publications, and... I still haven't found anyone there who'd had this sort of experience. I'm not saying that it DOESN'T happen, but I still haven't seen it.

Anyone is completely entitled to their own opinion as well as disagreeing with our reviews; it's all in how you do it.

vikeif:

Delusibeta:

Actually, looking at our numbers, you'd be very surprised. :) It's more that the community (as a whole) doesn't really care much about sports games more than anything.

well ya got me on the sports games thing, like hell if I'ma drop $60 buck on any sports game (good or bad.) till they bring back Blitz 2000. I'm not even really picking sides I'm just sick of this fucking crusader bullshit that people pull all the time in this forum, that with a head cold makes me very bitchy. But I watch your and Lordkat reveiws, I still don't see anything that merit this to be 60 bucks, I have XBLA titles that sound funner really, but that's my own opinion.

Delusibeta:

vikeif:

Delusibeta:

Meh. That may be true, but I don't give a damn about EA Sports games anyway. Although if you (generic you, not you specifically) can't articulate an opposing view to a review without wishing the reviewer fired or dead, then I ain't interested. (Even though as far as I'm concerned, it could be crap in a box or gold in a box, I still wouldn't buy it. Oh, and it's LRR)

First off I am not here to support LordKat, I did not once say he was right for showing his ass nor did I side with him, I don't like sports games, but I did say the Fanboyish Crusading was what needed to stop, he was banned, mods got it, it should be done here, and the spell-nazi thing was bullshit too.

Beside Mr. Funk is replying on his own like the adult he is, he doesn't need you fanboy crusadering, and neither do I.

I will say sorry for being a dick in my last post though I have a bad head cold and I'm grouchy as hell.

vikeif:

Delusibeta:

vikeif:

Delusibeta:

First off I am not here to support LordKat, I did not once say he was right for showing his ass nor did I side with him, I don't like sports games, but I did say the Fanboyish Crusading was what needed to stop, he was banned, mods got it, it should be done here, and the spell-nazi thing was bullshit too.

Beside Mr. Funk is replying on his own like the adult he is, he doesn't need you fanboy crusadering, and neither do I.

I will say sorry for being a dick in my last post though I have a bad head cold and I'm grouchy as hell.

And I will say sorry for appearing to be a fanboy. Honestly, had LordKat not intervened, this thread would be probably ten posts long, containing mostly "meh", "that's all right I guess" and "why's he picking up the ball?" and it'd all be forgotten by Friday.

Delusibeta:

vikeif:

Delusibeta:

Based on his second post in this thread, he didn't actually mean that. He meant it both as a joke and to emphasize the fact that he couldn't believe such a glowing review could be legit. His hostility is part of his comedic style. It doesn't translate into text very we.... at all.

infinity_turtles:

Delusibeta:

vikeif:

Delusibeta:

Based on his second post in this thread, he didn't actually mean that. He meant it both as a joke and to emphasize the fact that he couldn't believe such a glowing review could be legit. His hostility is part of his comedic style. It doesn't translate into text very we.... at all.

Ultimately, for people who haven't heard of him (e.g. me.) then all it does as come off as him being a jerk. You can't tell sarcasm on the internet, and so on and so forth.

I agree with Lordkat.

John Funk, I hope you watch his rant about the game and at least consider an update on this game. This game is very buggy. Just now I heard the announcer say. 'The New York Titans and the Cincinnati Cowboys.'

I wanted to play this game with friends / relatives, that's why I bought this game. But, man, this game has a lot of serious problems (BtW, ps3 version).
I hadn't had the game 'freeze' on me, but some of the screens, like pause, and menu features take a lot of time to load - like 3-5 minutes. WtF is wrong with this game?

John Funk, I know you were blown away by the GameFlow mechanic. But that feature is very far from perfect. Even after tweaking, it still gives stupid plays about 50% of the time.

If the game is so streamline and 'fast', why does it take forever to select another play? Why do I have to watch two different replays before the option to select a play appears. All I end up doing is mashing the X button all the time to skip the worthless ads and replays.

I've played better Madden games. I just hope I can get my $'s worth out of this thing with online play w/friends.

This game didn't go through enough testing and deserves a more critical review than John Funk's.

You're saying this episode of Madden couldn't be a dlc?

I'm impressed.

And yes, schadenfreude is one of my most favorite delicacies.

are u crazy? this is the worst madden of all time! the defence is ridiculously hard this year. sure i love all the new features, but this year theres no good d. i just got done with a game online and the final was 77-73 with jets and titans.....really...?last year i let up 9 pts a game and scored 31 this year i let up 38 a game and score 56..... in zone the defence stands there and in man they get blown off the ball. zone should be ;like last year. last year on a 3rd in 10 i would run cover 4 and stop them easy. when i knew it was a pass i used cover 3. this year those r the 2 worst defensive plays....i dont think ive ever played a worst madden. the features are amazing and so are the graphics lkike the new kicking system is awsome to me. but fix how easy ofence is and how hard defence is.all u gotta do is mrun 4 verticals and throw it to the tight end on the post. i really hope the next madden isnt this terrible

How can you HONESTLY rate this game as a 10/10? Like, really? REALLY? I have a problem with people who rate this game a 10 because a lot of gamers go out looking at reviews to determine whether or not it warrants a purchase. The only real reason I could see someone rating this game as a 10 is because this is the only (cringes to type this) "real football game" on the market thanks to EA exclusivity rights. Rating this game 10/10 is irresponsible writing.

A perfect 10 out of 10??? You have got to be kidding me? How can a football game that can't even implement tackling correctly be a perfect 10? There are so many animation glitches and even with Gus Johnson to liven things up, he commentary is botched and still lacking what most sports games offer there. You have got to be dumb, deaf & blind or EA paid for this review. I'm completely baffled.

LordKaT:

Freebird.:
Just a small tip if you want to stay around here. Don't wish death on staff members. Surely you can see why that's a stupid thing to do.

Protip: Comedy exists outside of your Yhatzee. Sometimes people even use it to emphasize a point in their criticism of an article.

In either case, ban me, probation, whatever you do. It's your community, and I don't particularly care about it. I still think the staff member in question is so phenomenally stupid that they really should never write another article again and instead get a job working in a Deli.

Dear John Funk of Escapist Magazine,

No. Just stop. LordKaT is a well respected member of the internet/game critic community. I assure you that you are, in fact, so very god damn wrong when it comes to Madden 11. I have played nearly every Madden game made, long before you even took an interest in the franchise. You sir, are a corporate sellout, who was quite obviously paid for his opinion. Other than Yahtzee, pretty much everyone at Escapist is out of their minds when it comes to well founded criticism. Explain to me how you can find the commentary oh so riveting when it is so badly recorded and cut into game play. Why do the fields have no rendering whatsoever and support no realistic damage when played on like in reality? Why are the thousands of fans in the stands rendered from the same 3 polygon patterns that all do the EXACT same actions at the EXACT same time? Why is the challenge system so broken? I make a play and the defense is clearly in error, yet the wondrous mechanics of Madden 11 thought that I was not challenging the clearly foul play, but rather that I thought the defense was off sides. Are you shitting me John Funk of Escapist Magazine? Are you really?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here