Review: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

misterprickly:
Why do I suddenly think of Diablo?

You know, zerglings rushing from spider tombs, He-Amazon with shield and spear, ancient evil summoned on our world for some unimportant reason.

I fail to see anything Diablo-ish. ^^

minotaur199:
I love Susan Arendt's voice and her humor! Great review, can't wait till its out for PC!

I may need some time to compare her to the other reviewers, but personally, I think she relishes her own humor a little too much, you know? Kind of like the guy who watches you expectantly every time he tells a joke?

Susan Arendt thinks Lara is skinny enough to squeeze through some of those doors with the crazy locking mechanisms. Just saying.

But her boobs would never fit through...

Doesn't quite look like my cup of tea (with no one around to play local co-op, that is) but I'm glad to hear Lara's Curse has been lifted.

heyheysg:
I never figured Tomb Raider to be a run and gun series, the game for me has always been about exploration firstly, not shooting tons of monsters.

I probably would have got it if it was a brand new IP, this just feels...wrong.

That's it. I was wondering what the nagging issue was in the back of my mind when I saw this game. It does keep the puzzles, but the bird's eye view kind of takes away from the atmosphere these games once had.

Quick happy news: Online co-op is on the way! It will be released on Sept. 28 alongside the PS3 and Steam versions.

Don't grumble, feel our paaaaiiiiin.

(I'm getting it on Steam, by the way.)

Incomer:

misterprickly:

You know, zerglings rushing from spider tombs, He-Amazon with shield and spear, ancient evil summoned on our world for some unimportant reason.

I fail to see anything Diablo-ish. ^^

Wrong franchise.

Onyx Oblivion:
I was sold the moment I realized they weren't making a gimped solo game that forced you to babysit an AI.

One question: WHY CAN A T-REX BREATHE FIRE?

I don't recall that from any dinosaur books...

Because HYPNO TOAD keeps making you forget

OT: Now I might buy this game...

Swifteye:
Fun and co-op? Sounds like another game I should get so I can entertain visitors. Although how much it cost will matter is it like 60 bucks? 50 bucks? I'll probably buy it when it's 30 or 20 bucks.

It's $15.

misterprickly:

Yeah. This looks more like a modded Diablo III than a Tomb Raider game. I'm surprised the review doesn't touch on the subject of the new perspective on things.

Xocrates:
And still over a month to go for the PC version :(

Onyx Oblivion:

It's a T-REX THAT BREATHES FIRE! Do you really need a reason?

It could only be cooler if it had tits and shot shurikens and lightning!

Tiamat666:

misterprickly:

Yeah. This looks more like a modded Diablo III than a Tomb Raider game. I'm surprised the review doesn't touch on the subject of the new perspective on things.

I mention the isometric view several times.

"An update is, hopefully, not too far in the future, but its presence is sorely missed in the meantime."

They already announced that online co-op would be patched in on Sep 28th,the same day it launches on PC and PSN

Love this game so far although I've only played single player

The "Seeing Red" achievement seems to have glitched for me though.I've collected all 10 skulls on the first 3 levels but haven't unlocked it.Has this happened to anyone else?

Arachon:

Onyx Oblivion:
I was sold the moment I realized they weren't making a gimped solo game that forced you to babysit an AI.

That's why.

You just used a TVTROPES LINK! NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Paraphrased from this review:

Susan Arendt:
There's mutliplayer, but it's limited to local play, which is a disappointment.

From any game without local play that has online play:

Susan Arendt:
There's multiplayer, and it's fun!

You reviewers need to stop killing local play by making developers think people don't care aboot it!
I'd trade all the online in the world for good local play. Think aboot the message you're sending in your reviews.

Tiamat666:

misterprickly:

This is better than diablo. I'll never play another TPL again where you cannot aim and shoot and run in another direction at the same time.

Looks like they've taken more than a few hints from Diablo. ...Not that that's bad or anything.

Susan Arendt:

Tiamat666:

misterprickly:

BUT you failed to drop the D-Bomb on it!

Onyx Oblivion:

The fact it's even alive at all should be an issue haha.

Arachon:

Onyx Oblivion:

That's why.

You're not supposed to link people to that site... IT WILL DEVOUR YOUR VERY SOUL!

I never really bothered with XBLA before but with this, Limbo and HD remakes of Perfect Dark, COD and Serious Sam, I might have to finally get myself some MS points.

Susan Arendt:
Review: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

Prepare to forgive Lara Croft for every single time she's ever let you down.

Read Full Article

Also, Susan? (I ask you because you're the only one who's played it so far...)

Is the shooting done by pointing the thumbstick in the direction you want to shoot ala Smash TV? because if so.... SOLD.

It appears I'm not the first one to think this was more Laura Croft and the Clone of Diablo, and likely I won't be the last.

Susan Arendt:

Tiamat666:

misterprickly:

Sorry. I watched the video and apparently skimmed through the text too quickly.

this does bring up an interesting question, what makes a game an "x" game. Or in this case what makes a game a Tomb Raider game. Is it the title, so any game with "Tomb Raider" in the title is a Tomb Raider game? The main character so any game with Lara Croft as the main character is a Tomb Raider game? Or the game play so any game that plays like a Tomb Raider game is a Tomb Raider game?

I'm not really sure myself but I'd say it needs all these elements. I could make a game called "Marios Secret Castle", but that wouldn't make it a Mario game. I could create a flash game with Sonic as the main character (And probably get a CaD letter from Sega), but it wouldn't be a sonic game. And there are plenty of examples of games copying off of other games but it doesn't make them an "x" game (like how we used to call all FPSs "Doom Clones".).

So I'd say you need all 3 of these things to be considered part of the series so to speak. And while I have not played this game I would say the game play is different enough that I wouldn't consider it a "Tomb Raider" game in the classic sense. For comparison I lump 2D and 3D Mario games into different categories because the gameplay is so different between them.

Dok Zombie:

Is the shooting done by pointing the thumbstick in the direction you want to shoot ala Smash TV? because if so.... SOLD.

Wellll, sort of. You have to hold down the trigger at the same time, but to aim you just rotate the stick.

And I know online co-op had been announced, but I'm not counting on it actually showing up until it actually does.

And to those who think I'm dissing local co-op, believe me, I'm not. Ideally, all games should have both local and online play.

Eric the Orange:
this does bring up an interesting question, what makes a game an "x" game. Or in this case what makes a game a Tomb Raider game. Is it the title, so any game with "Tomb Raider" in the title is a Tomb Raider game? The main character so any game with Lara Croft as the main character is a Tomb Raider game? Or the game play so any game that plays like a Tomb Raider game is a Tomb Raider game?

I'm not really sure myself but I'd say it needs all these elements. I could make a game called "Marios Secret Castle", but that wouldn't make it a Mario game. I could create a flash game with Sonic as the main character (And probably get a CaD letter from Sega), but it wouldn't be a sonic game. And there are plenty of examples of games copying off of other games but it doesn't make them an "x" game (like how we used to call all FPSs "Doom Clones".).

So I'd say you need all 3 of these things to be considered part of the series so to speak. And while I have not played this game I would say the game play is different enough that I wouldn't consider it a "Tomb Raider" game in the classic sense. For comparison I lump 2D and 3D Mario games into different categories because the gameplay is so different between them.

You're right. And that's exactly with this game doesn't have Tomb Raider anywhere on the title. Neither you nor the developers think of this as one of the big games in the series but as a spin off that features Lara Croft.

Best Tomb Raider game since the very first one.

Cannot believe how good it is. I hope they make more.

This looks fantastic, I'm really looking forward to it!

AFAIK, it's getting shipped without online co-op because of this exclusive Xbox deal to release the game early and co-op wasn't ready yet, so they removed it ATM. So online co-op will definitely be added at some point in the future. And it looks like it's gonna cost 1500 points - guess it's $15 (I don't have an Xbox, so forgive me if I'm wrong here). But there's no mention of the price on Steam, no release date, no pre-order. I'm getting impatient. :)

Susan Arendt:

Swifteye:
Fun and co-op? Sounds like another game I should get so I can entertain visitors. Although how much it cost will matter is it like 60 bucks? 50 bucks? I'll probably buy it when it's 30 or 20 bucks.

It's $15.

Ooh! That is most excellent a deal!

lukeguy:
This looks fantastic, I'm really looking forward to it!

AFAIK, it's getting shipped without online co-op because of this exclusive Xbox deal to release the game early and co-op wasn't ready yet, so they removed it ATM. So online co-op will definitely be added at some point in the future. And it looks like it's gonna cost 1500 points - guess it's $15 (I don't have an Xbox, so forgive me if I'm wrong here). But there's no mention of the price on Steam, no release date, no pre-order. I'm getting impatient. :)

Comes out on Steam and the PS3 the same day the co-op mode is added to the Xbox version.

Dok Zombie:
You're not supposed to link people to that site... IT WILL DEVOUR YOUR VERY SOUL!

I know.... >:D

Sounds to me like it's actually stripped away the stuff I liked most about Tomb Raider as opposed to stripping away what's gone wrong. Not to say this is a bad game, and it does sound entertaining, but my favourite aspect of Tomb Raider has always been traversing and exploring large engrossing environments. Running, gunning and platforming for the sake of platforming has never been what I've particularly enjoyed in my TR games.

Susan Arendt:

Dok Zombie:

Wellll, sort of. You have to hold down the trigger at the same time, but to aim you just rotate the stick.

And I know online co-op had been announced, but I'm not counting on it actually showing up until it actually does.

And to those who think I'm dissing local co-op, believe me, I'm not. Ideally, all games should have both local and online play.

Sweeeeeet... I may have to make this a purchase.

StriderShinryu:
Sounds to me like it's actually stripped away the stuff I liked most about Tomb Raider as opposed to stripping away what's gone wrong. Not to say this is a bad game, and it does sound entertaining, but my favourite aspect of Tomb Raider has always been traversing and exploring large engrossing environments. Running, gunning and platforming for the sake of platforming has never been what I've particularly enjoyed in my TR games.

I know what you mean. I loved Tomb Raider 1 when it first came out, the levels seemed absolutely huge, the isolation and lack of sound was really something that pulled you into the game. The story was fairly basic and to me the level design was really the star of the game, so many memorable moments.

Skip forward to now. Lara has not fared so well recently, Underworld had the right feel but the story was a little off and Legend just felt to brief and action orientated. Then Uncharted 2 came along and blew poor Lara out of the water, it was a great adventure game and in all honestly i felt sad playing it knowing Lara would never again live up to the high expectations I have for her.

I bought this game expecting another duff entry but the change of pace has done wonders for the series, the levels are quite large and open and there is a fair amount of exploration to be done. It is not the old Lara but in a way that's what makes this game great, it just works.

I know it won't be long before the reboot arrives and well, thats the end of the Lara i know and loved. At least I have a PSP devoted to Tomb Raider 1-4 and 50 years from now I will still be playing them and I have no doubt that no matter what comes along Tomb Raider 1 will always be my favourite game of all time.

And besides you can never get worse than the game boy colour TR games!

Susan Arendt:
Snip

Is it just me or is the thousand year old Guardian of Light very good with firearms?

Wow, really? Exciting!

Sorta.

Actually what I loved most about Lara Croft was how massive the levels felt, and how great it felt to actually explore them. Yeah the camera was almost always pointing at her posterior, but somehow the top-down Baldur's Gate-sy camera angle just doesn't impart that same feeling of "Oh wow, this place is beautiful, ancient, and HUGE"... or at least it doesn't from what I saw in the gameplay video.

I've never particularly cared about Tomb Raider stories or characters, and I actually enjoyed Legend (which was the last one I played) for how varied the environments were, but I'll still probably be picking this one up, at least to try it out.

Not G. Ivingname:

Susan Arendt:
Snip

Is it just me or is the thousand year old Guardian of Light very good with firearms?

He is a remarkably quick study, yes.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or