Don't Use the Word "Gamer"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 19 NEXT

As much as it pains me to admit it, I'm not a "person who plays video games". I read about video games. I write about video games. I visit forums of web magazines and discuss video games. I've made small games, and small, silly videos about games. I'm part of the Video Games Voter network, and a member in good standing of the Electronic Frontier Foundation. I don't insist that everyone share my hobby, I don't bore casual aquaintances with accounts of Team Fortress 2 matches, and I'm pretty sure my personal hygiene is up to snuff, but let's face it: I'm a gamer. Games are not a meaningless segment of my life, they're a fairly inescapable and quintessential part of my being, for better or worse.

The good news is that the "typical" "person who plays video games" now looks a lot more like me than the milk-odored stereotype: in their thirties, financially stable, have life will travel. I think, in time, the sterotype will change, probably around the time there's some people on the Senate floor who have actually played Mortal Kombat. "Gamer", good or bad, is likely here to stay.

You have to admit though Yahtzee that saying "I'm a gamer" is easier than saying "I like to play video games. Just as when it comes to your bar, it's easier to say "gamer bar" than "bar where you can play video games."
If it makes you feel any better though, your bar is one I'd actually consider going to if I didn't live a million billion miles away from it, despite those stigmas and stereotypes you just described in your article. Oh and I usually hate bars, so what does that tell you?

For some of us, gaming is a pretty big part of life. We spend a lot of our time alone playing games. We spend a lot of time with our friends playing games. We spend a lot of our time on the internet viewing game-related sites. If someone asks us "What do you like to do for fun?" the first thing that comes to mind is video games. The two things I look forward to when I have enough of my own money (for luxury, not need) are a Mustang and a gaming rig. I think it's safe to say that I, and people like me, spend more time gaming than "normal" people you mention.

If we're going to handle some confusion, I think we should call ourselves avid gamers, but to completely drop the term gamer is to lose a form of identity. Being a gamer is something I have in common with other people, and it's fun to discuss games with these people, just like with any other hobby. Of course it's not the primary thing I'm going to use to describe myself. Unlike the question about what I do for fun, if someone told me to define myself in one word, one of the last things that would come to mind is "gamer." I am a gamer, but it doesn't define me, just like I am a college student, an American, a heterosexual, a fan of various bands and movies, an atheist, and a coffee lover, but I can't take any one of those characteristics and say it defines me and separates me from "normal" people.

Sir John the Net Knight:

WanderingFool:
Awwww... NO ZP or XP for a week... im sad...

Sir John the Net Knight:
You know, I've put up with the self-important, narcissistic bullshit of a one Benjamin "Yahtzee" Croshaw for quite some time now. And though that is hardly a stretch for me, as I have been absorbing the anger and prejudice of the world's asshole population for a good three decades, I can no longer stand to have Yahtzee's own brand of verbal diarrhea being funneled into my ear canal any longer.

I put up with a lot of shit from people like Yahtzee over the years. But when you call Aerith Gainsborough a "flaky bint", you have stepped over the proverbial line. I have no more patience for you, Croshaw. Take your crybaby rants that you poorly disguise as legitimate reviews and stick them up your pasty, white tuchus. You really wanna know what the definition of the stereotypical asshole gamer that gives us all a bad name? Every morning you look at one in the mirror when you wake up. It's people like you that ruin this hobby for the rest of us.

And before you accuse me of the following. No, I do not own a body pillow or any other perverted anime crap. Though I'm sure you'll claim otherwise in next week's article.

Wait, are you talking about the same Aeris/Aerith as Yahtzee? She must be the most unimportant character in any game I ever seen. Hell they killed her off for a reason...

Also he said he wasnt going to have a XP next week, so you'll have to wait two weeks for he response (if he feels you are deserving of one.)

Clearly you either, A. have not played the game, B. played through Disc 1 and stopped, or C. are one of the legions of Aerith haters who have constantly screamed at me for 13 years how bad a character she is but have STILL not provided me with a legitimate reason for such. That's another hivemind that needs to be purged with fire.

And I don't give a rat's ass if Yahtzee chooses to urinate on my comments.(Pun intended.) He isn't likely to do so anyway, and if he does I'll just shoot back at him like I shoot back at all you fanboys.

Dude, you can't reason about your Tastes. They differ.
Oh, and talking about fanboy.*cough*

Dear Yahtzee, please consider the Northen Hemisphere for one of your next Mana Bar sites. Thanks.

Soylent Bacon:
For some of us, gaming is a pretty big part of life. We spend a lot of our time alone playing games. We spend a lot of time with our friends playing games. We spend a lot of our time on the internet viewing game-related sites. If someone asks us "What do you like to do for fun?" the first thing that comes to mind is video games.

Do you ever feel ashamed of this? I know I shouldn't, but I do. The response is always VIDEO GAMES? HAHA THAT'S NOT A HOBBY!

Thank you Yahtzee. Gaming pride, like gay pride, (I'm being serious here) is extremely annoying. This link is relevant, just replace every instance of "Gay" with "Gamer/Gaming."

http://www.theonion.com/articles/gaypride-parade-sets-mainstream-acceptance-of-gays,351/

BunJ:
He really got under your skin didn't he?

Oh he's been there for a good while now. He's just decided it was high time to recreate that famous scene from Alien.

WanderingFool:
I have played suffered through FF7, well past the point of Aeris/Aerith dying. I dont see what so speacial about her that the legions of Aeri... WAIT A FUCKING MINUTE!!! Im I arguing with someone over a FUCKING videogame character? Does anyone else realize how pathetic it is to defend a fictional character? I cant believe I even bothered resonding...

If you didn't even like the game, why even bother arguing about it? Go play Fantasy World Dizzy with Mr. Trilby.

ilovemyLunchbox:
She is the only character who I can barely even remember speaking to beyond Midgar. Everyone else has a more vivid image in my mind. Even Vincent was more interesting.

I.E.: She's a bad character because you paid no attention to her? That's hardly a convincing argument. Sound like more of a failing on your part then anyone else's.

'Aerith' is spelt with two Q's and a Z after the E.

And now we play the waiting game.

Is it just me, or did the term "gamer" never really hit popular lingo until G4 started ostentatiously throwing around the term like it was a subculture. Even if it wasn't the tv station that started the whole schlock, it was around that time that the industry began trying to convince it's base that "being a gamer is cool."

Before that time you had kids who played video games, big (adult) kids who played video games, and the hobbyists who typically specialized in a particular genre of game. There wasn't some sort of struggle for acceptance with popular culture, if you played games you were a nerd and you were alright with that. It feels like this whole mess where "nerds are cool" and "gaming is a way of life" is just propagated by gaming corporations to reassure their player base that it's okay to still stand in line at midnight for that new release and spread that message to an ever expanding customer base.

Don't get me wrong, I like to play video games. I'm okay with the fact that I'm viewed as a nerd. But I still don't, and probably never will, see myself as a "gamer." Games just aren't that definitive in my life. Just another hobby.

I don't know who Aezaquwquith actually is. Final fantasy maybe? Someone fill me in?

Christ get over yourself Sir John. Does it really bother you so much that people don't share your opinion of a fictional character.

I love FFVII, but are you really that sensitive to any criticism of her. How about quoting lines of her lines of dialogue and explaining why you think they're so brilliant.

I am proud to be a gamer, but not in the sense you're talking about.
I don't go around yelling "I'M A GAMER, GIVE ME ATTENTION!"

I'm fairly normal, sometimes I discuss games with my friends on our breaks.
If anyone asks, I say "Yes, I am a gamer".
But if anyone says "HAH You're a fat slobby nerd" I just flick them on the forehead and walk away (seriously).

And, it's probably easier to change the image of the average "gamer" instead of stop using the term at all.
Just saying.

ilovemyLunchbox:

Soylent Bacon:
For some of us, gaming is a pretty big part of life. We spend a lot of our time alone playing games. We spend a lot of time with our friends playing games. We spend a lot of our time on the internet viewing game-related sites. If someone asks us "What do you like to do for fun?" the first thing that comes to mind is video games.

Do you ever feel ashamed of this? I know I shouldn't, but I do. The response is always VIDEO GAMES? HAHA THAT'S NOT A HOBBY!

Ha, you know some rude people. I've never gotten a response like that, but sometimes it is pretty awkward if they aren't involved in games at all, and nobody knows what to say, and I do feel a little embarrassed that I don't have a more active or creative hobby.

Sir John the Net Knight:

BunJ:
He really got under your skin didn't he?

Oh he's been there for a good while now. He's just decided it was high time to recreate that famous scene from Alien.

WanderingFool:
I have played suffered through FF7, well past the point of Aeris/Aerith dying. I dont see what so speacial about her that the legions of Aeri... WAIT A FUCKING MINUTE!!! Im I arguing with someone over a FUCKING videogame character? Does anyone else realize how pathetic it is to defend a fictional character? I cant believe I even bothered resonding...

If you didn't even like the game, why even bother arguing about it? Go play Fantasy World Dizzy with Mr. Trilby.

ilovemyLunchbox:
She is the only character who I can barely even remember speaking to beyond Midgar. Everyone else has a more vivid image in my mind. Even Vincent was more interesting.

I.E.: She's a bad character because you paid no attention to her? That's hardly a convincing argument. Sound like more of a failing on your part then anyone else's.

Okay the Alien analogy (metaphor?) is cool, I'll have to give you that.
But why don't you tell us, why that Aeris person is such a good character?

hoov:
Christ get over yourself Sir John. Does it really bother you so much that people don't share your opinion of a fictional character.

I love FFVII, but are you really that sensitive to any criticism of her. How about quoting lines of her lines of dialogue and explaining why you think there so brilliant.

Actually, that a good point. Have you actually given any reasons why she isn't a bad character?

*Edit*

Also, as to why if I didnt like FF7, do I argue about this, I like conflict... it amuses me...

I think I will stop calling myself a gamer, if only to stop associating myself with the people who actually give a shit if her name is Aeris or Aerith as if it fucking mattered to anything in life.

Actually it reminds me though, that image on the first page of all the different type of "gamerfags", it doesn't have the "Japanesefag" where if you use the localized names for things like "Mega Man" they flip the hell out on you because god dammit his name is "Rock Man" and nothing else!

EDIT: Whoops, almost forgot. Hope you have a fun vacation Yahtzee.

It's 'aerith' (requisite comment)

and I like my 'girl gamer' tag! I guess I just didn't ever really stereotype gamers into the 'sweaty manchildren' area. Only those people who are actually insecure enough to scream at me over the mic about their awesomeness fall into that category :P

I'm starting to like his articals more than his weekly reviews. Also I will stop using the term gamer, all though I've only used it here on the escapist but still progress is progress.

hoov:

I love FFVII, but are you really that sensitive to any criticism of her. How about quoting lines of her lines of dialogue and explaining why you think there so brilliant.

I don't care if people don't like her. Just don't shove it in my face. Only that's impossible now that Trilby the Wonder Seal has barked on the subject. Every fanboy will be throwing him fish on it now. And I don't feel any need to explain my position until someone gives me good evidence that she's a bad character and in 13 years not one person has succeeded in this.

Is it wrong that I'm still bothered by the fact that when people say 'gamer' now they're talking about Halo or Starcraft or DragonAge and NOT about Champions or Traveller or D&D?

"Yahtzee is a British-born, currently Australian-based writer and gamer" well fuck, huh?
Have fun editing these.

I'm in full agreement with Yahtzee on this one. When playing video games was a niche hobby, being a "gamer" really was something odd and unusual. That time is past now, and gaming has long since become a regular fixture of modern life. It's time to drop this archaic term and its accompanying stereotypes. Then we can all be united in hating all the Final Fantasy nerds together.

Oh, and the only thing worse than those calling themselves "Girl Gamers" are those who call themselves a "Grrrl Gamers". /shudder

So I want to mostly comment to the last portion of the article where he talks about the success of mana bar. As a chef and indeed some one who enjoys playing games. I wont use the term gamer because while A) I enjoy games, I dont have the time to play them all that much my career doesn't allow for it, let alone my family of two boys and more. and B) If I were to use it I should get slapped after his statements. I think that expansions of the concept are brilliant. However I do think that it is hard to get past the stigma of "Gamer" bar, just due to the nature of who is the loudest most obvious stereotype of the gaming culture. It isn't the 9 - 5 30 something well put together social crowd who wants to go out, get a drink mid week and kill some people with their mates, the stereotype is either the uber (insert umlaut here) nerdy WoW crowd who shuns light and social interaction for grinding away at murlocks for hours on end (prepare for incoming flames) or the jocked out Madden every year for the new roster crowd. There is no mid line for what people view as it. And it is hard to see as a hip crowd to be around, let alone go and have a few beers and perhaps meet some one.

With that in mind. Being in the industry of serving people food and drink every night of my life I wish you the best of luck. To hear that the place is so damn successful that you are already able to think about opening up another is fantastic. Keep it up and know that the first time I hear of Mana Bar opening up in Colorado I will be there on opening night.

Sir John the Net Knight:

Why there should be a reason for personal taste? I don't like her for instance, but I have no reason for it, I just don't. Those who likes her, well, good for them, they do, and that's it.
Let's look for something new to hate together, shall we? We may agree in the next subject =)

Sir John the Net Knight:

hoov:

I don't care if people don't like her. Just don't shove it in my face. Only that's impossible now that Trilby the Wonder Seal has barked on the subject. Every fanboy will be throwing him fish on it now. And I don't feel any need to explain my position until someone gives me good evidence that she's a bad character and in 13 years not one person has succeeded in this.

So why should anybody else have to explain why they don't like her, if you don't feel the need to explain why you do?

Nobody's shoving your face in it, "flaky bint" was just a throwaway comment that was intended to be humorous and it's made all the funnier because of people who react in the way that you do.

I don't call myself a gamer because I wear it like a badge of honour, or because I feel repressed. I call myself that because I hate football and don't like playing music as a hobby, the only other two normal past-times in england. Video games are the only thing I do along with watching TV and movies besides just going out and chilling with friends in a pub. It's the only thing that distinguishes me from a totally bland individual with absolutely no interests.

Dear Sir John... why are you even bothering?

Before the mods put me on probation, I already gave a comment on Yahtzee's article earlier. I just want this annoying argument to end so we can go back to the article at hand.

Dr. Wily III:
"Yahtzee is a British-born, currently Australian-based writer and gamer" well fuck, huh?
Have fun editing these.

Congratulations, you made me laugh about as hard as I laughed at the funny bits of this article. Good show!

Or a sweaty, fat, neckbearded manchild weeping over their Aeris body pillows (or is it Aerith? I can never remember).

I take offense to that comment. I DO NOT OWN A BODY PILLOW!

It is nice of someone to say this. 'Gamer' is an awful word. I play games, but I hate people co-opting that as some kind of identity. I'm a human.

Sir John the Net Knight:

hoov:

Sorry, but nobody shoves something into your face on the internet. You didn't had to read the post.
But it would really strengthen your position in front of the people who haven't played Final Fantasy if you explained why you like her that much.
(I know it kind of breaks my former point of not arguing about taste)
P.S. Trilby the wonderseal sounds like a good name for trash punk band

Well then, you must really hate that one particularly titled movie.

Seeing as gaming is still seen as somewhat of a sub-culture, you can't blame it's residents for calling themselves gamers.

I never really use the word since I'm Dutch. I don't play games, I play videospellen.

GoodShrapnel:
Thank you Yahtzee. Gaming pride, like gay pride, (I'm being serious here) is extremely annoying. This link is relevant, just replace every instance of "Gay" with "Gamer/Gaming."

http://www.theonion.com/articles/gaypride-parade-sets-mainstream-acceptance-of-gays,351/

ROFL that was hilarious !

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 19 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or