Zero Punctuation: Transformers: War for Cybertron

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

I agree With ZP completely and I even watched the first movie. (I got bored during the second one).

I don't know why I watch these anymore. I'm so bored of the whole "look for something to hate on, hate on it" approach. I honestly really enjoyed this game. It wasn't outstanding but it was fun. ZP is getting dull.

you dont get a holiday bitch. er... good review.

I find it funny when people love Yahtzee when he reviews/hates on a game they've never played and they're ready to defend him no matter what he says, but that one time he hates on a game some of you actually played and liked you start calling him dull, boring etc. It's funny because that's the kind of fanboyism he keeps nagging about. I personaly still like his reviews although he bashed some games I like, most of the time his arguments are actually solid.
Have a god-awful holiday, Yahtzee :)

It's funny, almost as soon as it was released, I saw various opinions (online and in a games magazine) defending TWFC. Now balance is restored to the universe thanks to Yahtzee.

KimberlyGoreHound:
Never heard of this game, but the review was rather entertaining. Good stuff once again.

PS: I'm pretty sure my microwave could kick my stereo's ass. My microwave's a beast.

I would agree here (Our microwave looks like a tank with a glass window in the front) except I don't actually have a stereo.

Also, this game has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NEW MOVIES. Yahtzee should do research first.

Yahtzee's going on holiday? I DEMAND EXPIATION!

Joking aside, he (probably) deserves it; what with the weekly video and article, restaurant, space game, and (probably) annoying fans.

Oh look. Another game Yahtzee doesn't like. Yawn.

And let me guess, in his next video after his holiday he won't like that one either! Preposterous I know!

What happened to the reviews that spoke both good and ill of games? Hint: It's not that games have gotten worse.

I didn't even think he would review this, I figured he would know that most of the Transformers franchise was garbage. Sure I liked some of it, but most of it is absolute garbage. He covered that though.

Once again, I have to agree with this guy, haha.

Mantonio:

And let me guess, in his next video after his holiday he won't like that one either! Preposterous I know!

What happened to the reviews that spoke both good and ill of games? Hint: It's not that games have gotten worse.

Have you not watched his Shadow of the Colossus review last week? How come you talk as if he's never done some recently good reviews for a game recently? Oh and a videogame with both good and ill comments? That's kind of rare.

EDIT: Make that last 2 weeks that he has reviewed Shadow of the Colossus

I wonder if Y. was expecting this to be a strategy 'cause honestly now, what would you expect for robots fighting with lasers and rockets.

Good game if you ask me, good solid controls...donno why you scraped your head against the pipes but then again I played the PC version so I had a nice mouse to assist me with aiming and controls, I think it's one of those rare games because *spoiler* the ending is actually one where the good guys lose */end spoiler*

As for the characters themselves... really they're robots it's not like they could /care.

It's not such a bad game like you describe it and there's also quite a few giant bosses that you've not mentined (my personal favorite is in the Decepticon campaign where you *spoiler* fly at a huge controll chamber only for it to activate it's defenses and start shooting at you, have lava float up while huge laser doors swing left and right).*/end spoiler*

Oh and you forgot to mention the multiplayer. You also forgot to mention that if not played in co-op at higher difficulty the AI is really bad (the AI that's controling your partners).

PS: I didn't watch the show or anything just played the game.

you can strafe while in vehicle mode? hilarious

about time you got a holiday. lord only knows how this couple hours of work every week must be getting to you.

I enjoyed the game as a fan, but I'm not blind to its flaws. Enemy variety really needed to be stepped up, melee was overpowered, the AI both friendly and enemy was moronic at times, the visuals were.....ok and the overlying story about 'Dark Energon' just didn't cut it for me. Despite that, I had fun playing the campaign and the multiplayer. It certainly wasn't the solid 9 that some reviewers gave it, nor was it a 3. I'd say 5-6 overall, about the same as the PS2 game would get.

Despite that, I've had fun with games that didn't score well critically (Deadly Premonition was so bad it was good), and hated some that got rave reviews (I'm looking squarely at FFIII and MW2 right now). It's all subjective. For me, the game is worth owning, but I'll readily admit I'm a fan.

Edit: I liked Yahtzee's review, no fanboy hate on this front, but let's be realistic here. If we all listened to yahtzee's reviews and based our purchases on them, we'd all own the same 8-12 games each, maybe.

Eastern European Cartoons FTW! Personally I prefer the USSR-Version of Winnie the Pooh, it's closer to the book than the Disney Series. Somewhat.

i under stand about the game after playing it really didn't leave much to the imagination im just sick of most of the games being released full stop. Were is the effec all shit really i want a good game like team buddies on ps1.

TheEnglishman:
Well I think you're a different generation to me Yahtzee, but my generations Othello was the death of Wizardmon.

or the seven deaths of Leomon.

Who would win in a fight between my older 360 and my new 360 slim?

I love Transformers, but I hated this game, it was an odd mixture of joy pain like masturbating with sandpaper, tried the multiplayer demo and was upset to find that it was in every way, shape, and form a copy of MW2, didn't ever buy it after that, they had already killed my dreams

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Transformers: War for Cybertron

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Transformers: War for Cybertron.

Watch Video

I'm ashamed of you, Yahtzee. I can't believe you and all of the forum haven't thought that one. (yes, i went through the 9 pages) How can you bash on the silly concept without realizing that they haven't seen, heard, or talk to human yet with all their technology they have they decide to turn into human appliances.

Mantonio:

There's good and bad in the game. Thing is, what's good for you isn't good for others. The good would be the multiplayer campaign but it doesn't interest him. Usually, FPS Single Campaign are just a glorify tutorial. Even 3rd Person shooting game are like that.

WittyReference:
you can strafe while in vehicle mode? hilarious

yeah, they're sort of hover cars now since the game is not entirely designed for vehicles. If it was like a real car you'd end up stuck or upside down on one of the many ramps or boxes.

Also, all the characters are essentially the same with the odd insert-gun/insert special ability, which is kind of a rip off for the fans.

Still, it's not a bad third person shooter and I hear the online play is good.

i prefered multiplayer

beema:
Deliciously clever this episode was.

I thought the Transformers only turned in to vehicles after getting to Earth and scanning shit. Did this game mess up the canon or am I misremembering?

Either way, middle of the road 3rd person shooters don't interest me.

They had alt modes on Cybertron. Bumblebee was a UFO-looking thing, Soundwave was a streetlight (not kidding), etc. I think the animated movie has some exposition on it when they gave Spike an exo-suit that can transform. Shame it was before Warhammer 40k's time, I would have loved to see him put a Power Fist on it and Falcon Punch a decepticon. As far as I know the 'transformation cog' is something new though.

I see another mailbag showdown in the future

beema:
Deliciously clever this episode was.

I thought the Transformers only turned in to vehicles after getting to Earth and scanning shit. Did this game mess up the canon or am I misremembering?

Either way, middle of the road 3rd person shooters don't interest me.

Transformers have always transformed. Even back on Cybertron. Why drive around in a vehicle when you can become the vehicle. I suppose it makes perfect sense if you're a robot.
And the game's a lot better than what Yahtzee said it was.

IronStorm9:

TheEnglishman:
Well I think you're a different generation to me Yahtzee, but my generations Othello was the death of Wizardmon.

or the seven deaths of Leomon.

Yes, he just couldn't stop dying could he. Ah, good times. :)

To be 'our generation's Othello' doesn't there need to be an Iago and Des... Dis... Othello's wife? I can't say I remember Megatron manipulating Optimus into killing anyone unless you count getting him so pissed off that he kills a large handful of Decepticons before going down. Yes Hotrod interfered in Megatron and Prime's duel, but again Megatron didn't manipulate him into doing so by, say, pointing out the blaster hidden in the rubble and giving him a 'I dare you to stop me' look. That would have been close, but it didn't happen.

Niccolo:

KimberlyGoreHound:
Never heard of this game, but the review was rather entertaining. Good stuff once again.

PS: I'm pretty sure my microwave could kick my stereo's ass. My microwave's a beast.

I would agree here (Our microwave looks like a tank with a glass window in the front) except I don't actually have a stereo.

Neither do I. My stereo is my computer's speakers (and my microwave would certainly beat the crap out of them).

xscoot:
The point is that NO ONE, liked War for Cybertron. If anything it is due to nostalgia that we hate it; it has more to do with the crappy movies than the original series.

By the way, you should pull an AVGN. Less videos per month, but each one is of higher quality. Sorry to say, but you've been in a bit of a decline recently.

Heh? Lots of people like War for Cybertron, and it has nothing to do with the crappy movies, but with the original series.

Ok, so I bought the game and gave it a go. I've traded it back in after a couple of days. The singleplayer campaign felt uninspired and bland. Multiplayer was better, but there are games out there which offer a far superior experience.

On the whole, I found it to be an adequate but thoroughly average and unremarkable game, whose only saving grace is the nostalgia many of us have for Transformers. Without the Transformers IP slapped on, I doubt this game would have garnered this much attention.

While I usually value Yahtzee for his humor, rather than his actual reviews, I can't help but agree with him. War for Cybertron is not a bad game, but in my opinion also undeserving of the praise it is getting.

While I can agree a little bit with difficulty telling where things are sometimes, it's never really hindered my gameplay experience. And honestly, I find the fact that not only Yahtzee but others as well are complaining that the vehicle mode had the same controls as the robot mode. The designers have said multiple times during the creation of the game that they did this on purpose so you could have a smooth transition without having to swap to a new control scheme every few seconds; in a game so fast paced, that smoothness can be the difference between a kill and a death. And calling it a 'glorified sprint' is sort of silly; what the hell else would you use a car for but to get to places faster? And the campaign mode does indeed include long stretches built for driving. Competitive Multiplayer usually does not, but even there, having such a quick mode of transportation from one side of the battlefield to the other makes more than enough difference in a battle.

Have to agree with bashing the source material more than the actual game, too.

Sorry if this seems negative towards Yahtzee, but that's my 2-cents.

War For Cybertron failed on me, just another generic shooter with generic shooter feels, only worse. I love transformers too, but bad games and mediocre new movies aren't selling it to this decade very well.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 66590)