Xbox Live Summer of Arcade Recap

Here's a quick recap of the five games that were featured during Xbox Live's Summer of Arcade.

Read Full Article

Limbo:

Amazing. Simply amazing.

Hydro Thunder:

Eh. Bought it to complete my collection of all 5 Summer of Arcade games. It's actually really fun, but easily the worst game of the bunch.

Castlevania:

STOP HARPING ON THE TIME LIMIT. GEEZ!

It never ran out for me.

But yeah the solo play is lacking. But once you get decent equips and learn to master the Castlevania art of dodging everything...you can solo hard mode easy. I like the challenge myself. It's hard, but not Megaman levels of hard.

Monday Night Combat:

Really fun. And the devs can "patch" it without actually making a patch. Somehow.

Lara Croft:

Lengthy, replayable, and brings new life to a stale franchise.

Lara Croft! So many memories there...made me smile every time

Here are my one sentence reviews of the Summer Of Arcade.
Limbo
Hauntingly beautiful to look at and subtly compelling to play.
Hydro Thunder Hurricane
A bright, breezy and high-octane game with the perfect summer feel to it.
Castlevania:Harmony Of Despair
A great team game, but too grind-heavy.
Monday Night Combat
An entertaining Team Fortress 2-esqe base defense shooter, with great charter variety.
Lara Croft And The Guardian Of Light
Classic tomb raiding from a new perspective, but currently lacking online co-op.

Only disagreement I have with the article is with Lara Croft. It didn't have enough time to finish off the network code for online play, that is not a polished game if we have to wait for a patch to give online functionality. In the new Xbox/PS3 age no one wants to go somewhere else to play a game they could play at home.

To define which game I wanted most out of all of those, allow me to personify my opinion through the following statement:

"HYDROOOOOOOO THUNDER!!!!!"

"THREE!!! TWO!!! ONE!!!! GO, GO, GO!!!!!"

So yeah, I thought probably go get Xbox Live Gold soon. Had I known that such a gem had been transported to the 360, I would've picked it up sooner!

How come Scott Pilgrim vs. The World wasn't in this list? That has got to be one of the best downloadable games I've played in a while.

Bought all 5 as well and Lara Croft is easily my favourite.Much more actiony than normal TR games.Can't wait for the online co-op to play through it with my buddy

Limbo was very enjoyable while it lasted but frankly for the length and lack of re-playability it was a bit expensive

Hydro Thunder is fun and frustrating in equal measure.Kinda reminds me of a watery Mario Kart

Monday Night Combat is the game I was least bothered about but it turned out to be great fun

Castlevania is the weakest in my opinion.Too much grinding and single player is a bit dull.Still considering I'll be refunded the price of it I can't complain too much

naughtydoggus:
How come Scott Pilgrim vs. The World wasn't in this list? That has got to be one of the best downloadable games I've played in a while.

Because it wasn't part of the Summer of Arcade promotion.

Onyx Oblivion:

Monday Night Combat:

Really fun. And the devs can "patch" it without actually making a patch. Somehow.

I remember that, me and my friend were sitting there on the release day complaining about how ridiculously overpowered the assaults were, and behold, like gaming gods, Uber entertainment striketh down...'d the assaults rifle and running speed (or at least that's what seemed to have been patched) to make things more acceptable. TBH, he is still a little overpowered IMO, but it works well now.

And hey! I did a thread about this last night and it died almost instantly! Dammit.

Anyway, I think this year's summer of arcade was brilliant. I don't think I know a single person who hasn't bought at least one of the titles, and I personally bought all five, although I wasn't too fussed about castlevania, but I figured effectively getting free with the rebate offer made it worth a purchase. Coming to think of it, I've already become kinda addicted to it, despite the fact that I don't have any decent co-op partners ATM. :G

IMO, the games in order of worst to best were:

Doclector:
Monday night combat:

Amazing, if sometimes infuriating, multiplayer which perfectly mixes strategy with simple shooting skill, and an intense co op mode. Sure, it's stolen alot from TF2, but it's also vastly different, and hey, valve, this is what you get when you don't look after your console ports properly.

I actually don't think it took very much from TF2 at all. The only thing they have in common really is the style, and even that's unique. This is more like DotA from Warcraft three, but in TPS mode, and actually fun. Remember, TF2 wasn't the first one to introduce class play into games, and they won't be the last. Although I will admit that the Support's heal/hurt gun is a total rip off of TF2.

Compared to the previous Summer of Arcade, this one is fairly disappointing and not really worth my money if you ask me. I thought previous summer was way more exciting.

So Monday Night Combat...did I hear that the phrase 'bot matches'?

I'm on the fence about that one but it looks really good.

Are they still doing the deal where you'll get 400 points if you buy 3 games, or did that expire?

I only care about 2 of the 5 (Castlevainia HD, and Tombs of Light), So even if I had XBLA I wouldn't get a rebate I guess.

Colonel Alzheimer's:
Are they still doing the deal where you'll get 400 points if you buy 3 games, or did that expire?

It's on until the 31st of august.

I loved Monday Night Combat and the new Lara Croft game.

Limbo was good too so I bought that as well.

Susan Arendt:

naughtydoggus:

Because it wasn't part of the Summer of Arcade promotion.

Plus it came out yesterday, TSOA was announced before that.

Was I imagining things or has Monday Night Combat actually created a Girl/Fem Scout?

Susan Arendt:

Here's a quick recap of the five games that were featured during Xbox Live's Summer of Arcade.

Read Full Article

The homepage link for this article says "We show the games that during XBOX Live's Summer of Arcade".
Missing a word or a word too many?

Live Arcade put out some great games for their promotion.

I love Monday Night Combat.
So much that if this ISNT the Monday Night Sport of the future then i will be sorely disappointed.

I can see how it can me linked to TF2 but, its not that noticeable.
Just the Art style and Class biased game play, everything else is pretty original and fun.

I love Playing as the Gunner, easily my favorite class, i especially love the units personality.
"Gravy Bra"
My buddy is a beast as the Support

Now, as for Hydro Thunder:Hurricane....

HYDRO THUNDER!
HURRICANE!
I love it, it reminds me of an older arcade Racer where you piloted Hover Boats on water Tracks, you could boost, destroy the environment, and use weapons to disable the other ships.

Anyway, its a lot of fun, and the tracks are a blast to look at while racing.

naughtydoggus:

Its a licensed game. You'd have trademark/copyright issues if using another license to promote your own item (this case the SOA).

It is also the only reason it was a "timed exclusive" for the PS3, simply because XBox love their meaningless Summer of Arcade.

But agreed Scott Pilgrim (and Shank) gameplay wise are much better candidates than Hydro and Monday Night Combat for example. Games that will be dead very quickly indeed.

I see the appeal of the other games, but aside from Limbo I'm not considering getting any of them.

Arcade games are now just becoming "Retail Lite" which I feel belittles the original point of the installation, and why I'm slowly becoming put off by newer titles and looking back at older ones.

The problem with being "Retail Lite" is that you generally get compared to full retail and a retail game that does what you're trying to do can usually do it better. For the same price after two months generally.

Vilcus:

Doclector:
Monday night combat:

Amazing, if sometimes infuriating, multiplayer which perfectly mixes strategy with simple shooting skill, and an intense co op mode. Sure, it's stolen alot from TF2, but it's also vastly different, and hey, valve, this is what you get when you don't look after your console ports properly.

I actually don't think it took very much from TF2 at all. The only thing they have in common really is the style, and even that's unique. This is more like DotA from Warcraft three, but in TPS mode, and actually fun. Remember, TF2 wasn't the first one to introduce class play into games, and they won't be the last. Although I will admit that the Support's heal/hurt gun is a total rip off of TF2.

Well, I did say it is vastly different as well...and TBH I just really wanted an excuse to unleash that valve gag. >_>

naughtydoggus:

Well it being a video game movie cash in and one that doesn't have online co-op probably brought it down. Also it being a beat em up and besides being scott pilgrim isn't really that much of a standout.

I'm going to get hyrdo thunder myself. I still have been meaning to add a racing game to my list and hydro games have never let me down before.

Colonel Alzheimer's:

It's rather weak either way since you need to spend 3600 points to get it. None of the games really strike me as being worth more than 800 anyway, so I'd still feel pretty ripped off.

Doclector:

Vilcus:

Doclector:
Monday night combat:

Well, I did say it is vastly different as well...and TBH I just really wanted an excuse to unleash that valve gag. >_>

You also said it stole a lot from TF2, afterwards you said it was vastly different. Those two seem to contradict eachother. Don't worry, I'm not mad, as I love both games (don't own TF2, but a friend of mine let me try it on his PC, and I love it).

Also, wanting to use the Valve gag makes everything ok. :D

If I had the BOX and the scratch, I would definitely go for Limbo and Lara plus either Monday or Vania. Probably Vania. But I don't have the scratchBOX so I will not be taking advantage of the great quality at low low prices.

Tried Limbo. It's okay, but apart from the nice graphics it's just a puzzle game. No depth or story whatsoever. A tad overrated.

Lara Croft: tried the demo. Normally I do not like these kind of games, but it was really fun! May even buy it.

The others: meh.

migo:

Colonel Alzheimer's:

It's rather weak either way since you need to spend 3600 points to get it. None of the games really strike me as being worth more than 800 anyway, so I'd still feel pretty ripped off.

The deals are really only good if you were going to get the games anyway, or thought two were super but one was just kiiiiind of interesting. I don't really think I'd recommend that people get all five unless they're simply rolling in extra cash, but there are definitely three solid games in this group. (My personal recommendations would be Limbo, Lara, and then Hydro Thunder, but I'm a complete sucker for the Hydro series. Your mileage may vary.)

Susan Arendt:

migo:

Colonel Alzheimer's:

The deals are really only good if you were going to get the games anyway, or thought two were super but one was just kiiiiind of interesting. I don't really think I'd recommend that people get all five unless they're simply rolling in extra cash, but there are definitely three solid games in this group. (My personal recommendations would be Limbo, Lara, and then Hydro Thunder, but I'm a complete sucker for the Hydro series. Your mileage may vary.)

I feel exactly the same way... Limbo, Lara Croft, and Hydro Thunder are the top three contenders in that collection. With the 400 point rebate, you end up getting all three for 3200 points. Not a bad deal, in my opinion!

Monday Night Combat blew my mind. It was Valve worthy.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here