Zero Punctuation: Viewer's Choice: Duke Nukem Forever

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

bor3ds0ul:
Wait, so there's no new ZP this week? Wait, he's on holiday. Right

So THATS what the competition was for! Yahtzee you lazy cumbersome oaf!

Cpt_Oblivious:
Wait, so his best review is of a game that doesn't actually exist...?

The world doesn't make sense to me anymore.

It might not have made a lot of sense to you to begin with if you regard what Yahtzee does to games as "reviews." Yes, he does critically reflect on them to some extent, and the world is better for such reflections, but the larger part of what he does that sets him apart from a reviewer is that he mostly lampoons the games.

Consequently, his video that targeted one of the most, if not the most, lampoon-worthy enterprise in the history of AAA gaming was arguably the most fertile ground he ever encountered, and it may have made less sense if it didn't win.

SteelStallion:

Blackadder51:
Oh god...

A game that doesn't exist won.

No, a review of a game that doesn't exist won.

Seriously, I was punching myself in the gut at the sheer idiocy of people that kept voting for their favorite game. Comments like;

"Well, I thought Gears of War 2 had better gameplay over all so it gets my vote."

Seriously people.

This. Makes me ashamed to be a regular ZP viewer.

...well now I just feel like an asshole for participating in this contest. I would have gone about voting an entirly different way if I knew it was going to replace this week's episode of ZP.

SteelStallion:

Blackadder51:
Oh god...

A game that doesn't exist won.

No, a review of a game that doesn't exist won.

Seriously, I was punching myself in the gut at the sheer idiocy of people that kept voting for their favorite game. Comments like;

"Well, I thought Gears of War 2 had better gameplay over all so it gets my vote."

Seriously people.

Wow, some people can miss the point so well, it's scary.
I'm sure glad I understood the purpose of the vote...

Actually, I didn't, as the true purpose was apparently to give Yahtzee the week off.

I could see this one coming, but I was rooting for Painkiller. I mean, a lot of people hadn't even heard of it before Yahtzee. I'm sure it was People Can Fly's favorite episode.

EDIT: I remember the day this video came out... I immediately searched the GameStop website for Duke Nukem Forever before I even watched the video.

Tymathee:
...didn't he do this already? :sigh:

...I see someone here doesn't read his blog or Extra Punctuation... he's on holiday this past week, so no new review. In its place, The Escapist ran a contest for the favorite episode of ZP. This won, hence getting reposted with a header denoting it as said winner, complete with a new thread so people can bitch about how it wasn't THAT funny or how it shouldn't have won because DNF isn't a real game.

zombie711:
I noticed that he said it had 6 axis control and achievments. what strange magical console was he playing.

The Nintendo Station with the optional Playmote.

I was actually wondering whether this or Wolfenstein would win.

Always bet on Duke, I guess. Even after twelve years in hiatus.

Steve the Pocket:
So, speaking as one who didn't register to participate in this, where are IS the chart showing how many votes everything got and the elimination brackets? I want to see how well the one I would have voted for did.

Here ya go sonny!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/global/tournaments/standings/4

OT: I've said it before and I will say it again: I voted for DNF and Mail Bag Showdown. A review about a fake game, and a review mail bag episode about people ranting about a review of a game.

Loved it!

I'm SO glad he did this one.

I think we all made the right choise. A job well done lads!

me cague de risa

Shame, I prefer Painkiller. Still, both are good, so I don't really mind.

"NOW LET'S ALL FORGET ABOUT THIS FUCKING GAME FOREVER"

The irony is palpable. Not to mention what has already been pointed out numerous times: the "best review" Yahtzee ever did was for a game that didn't exist, and rather was a half-arsed idea that came about in frustration over the (still)ongoing Duke Nukkem saga.

I dunno what review should have won, not that it matters, they are all up there on the site to view whenever you like. Besides which the prizes would be useless to me as I already pre-ordered the book off amazon.co.uk like Yahtzee fucking told me to! Thats the last time I trust an Anglo-Australian game critic in a trilby.

Calibanbutcher:
Yay, my vote won

Same here...Woo! I'm not surprised that a sarcastic review for a non-game won, since all its development hype served as good motivation for Yahtzee to go all out with elaborate descriptions, in addition to a solid Zero Punctuation presentation.

Kinda funny. When the contest first started I voted on the first four pairings, methodically working down the list from the top-left. However, time passed quickly because I needed to re-watch videos as refreshers, and I balked at my realization that the left-hand list was quite long. Then I noticed there was a right-hand list as well, at which point I went off to play Dragon's Age instead. <grin>

So essentially I only voted four times last week, and once more after an e-mail reminder yesterday. Just dumb luck to pick a winning horse
after merely scratching at the racing schedule.

Jedi Sasquatch:
Honestly, did anybody not see this coming?

I thought it would be DNF vs Fifty Cent in "I'm Not Racist" Blood on the Sand in the finale. Except it couldn't be because THEY PUT THE TWO BEST ZERO PUNCTUATIONS EVER UP AGAINST ONE ANOTHER IN THE FIRST DAMN ROUND.

So while I'm happy with the result, I think voting each ZP separately, without the brackets, might have been a better way of deciding the winner.

Also, to people who are saying this isn't technically a "review" - so aren't at least a quarter of the other stuff Yahtzee's done in ZP. Also I think this is more a review of the gaming industry's business practices than it is of a particular game (obviously).

This is far from the best ZP. Yes, it's funny, sort of, but you know why it is funny? Because Yahtzee could make everything up.

Ripping apart an existing game is much more difficult. To base jokes on actually existing content - that's what's great about ZP in the first place. But noooo, the public votes for made up rubbish.

The best ever ZP is still Wolfenstein. It's a several minute poem, with jokes, with everything that makes ZP great and it didn't even get a nomination. I hate humanity.

So I have to see this shit again? Did anything turn out different?

Edit: Nnnnnope.

that was alot of work too get away with giving us a rerun

Stubee:

bor3ds0ul:
Wait, so there's no new ZP this week? Wait, he's on holiday. Right

So THATS what the competition was for! Yahtzee you lazy cumbersome oaf!

Let the guy have a fricken vacation once in a while ya mook.

Pity there's no new episode, but this is one of his funniest.
Gave me a good chuckle regardless.

Whoa. At points in this review Yahtzee's voice seemed to descend into a steady drone in which no discernible words could be... discerned. Now, I am quite drunk at the time of typing this, but it seems to me that if he speaks that fast, the comedy in the rant is lost. Also, what was that part about Jimi Hendrix under the sea?

this simply was the best "review" out of all them i think. they even had a person write in without seeing the review 2 on from that one asking where they can get the game from

i just love in the video after this, some one sent him a question, asking where he got the game from :P

Alright, let me rebuttal my post, I don't think it's a waste, I just didn't know it was ultimately a decider for the next episode. I was under the mislead assumption there would be a zp episode this weak, hence the disappointment. I still thought the contest was fun as hell and am content with what happened.

So this was all a plot to take a week off making a review. Nice.

His Uncharted 2 review was my absolute favorite, but that didn't even make it to the first round.

Meh i still think Halo Wars is by far his best one.

1) 3DREALMS is a private studio without any kind of investors
2) ALL ON PAX 2010
3) STAY TUNED
4) ... 3 SKUS

Some "special presentation"; it's just the video again. I'm a little annoyed that what you decided to wave in front of us to keep our attention while Yahtzee's on vacation was so shallow.

This will be even funnier if Gearbox releases it and it turns out to be good. 3DRealms will look even more like Howler monkeys then.

stewox:
1) 3DREALMS is a private studio without any kind of investors

Nonsense: every company gets funding from somewhere. If they don't have equity, it just means they have debt instead. Unless you think Broussard was paying every single employee out of pocket, and keeping the lights on besides.

It was a hard choice. But I had to vote DNF because that gun in Painkiller didn't have tits nor was it on fire.

hecticpicnic:
JUSTIN BIEBER RAPED AND KILLED A GIRL IN 1990

that's not possible. that's about 15 years before he was born O_o...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here