Review: Metroid Other M

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

*Yawn* another reveiw that bashes the award 1sty-person aiming mechanic and the bad characterization of Samus (She goes from being mute Badass to monotone melodramatic orphan who relies on her ex-boyfreind to figure out what to do next), well yeah some feature work but the game as a whole sound nowhere near as good as I had hoped, I'll be replaying Super Metroid in the mean time!

ZeroMachine:

(Sorry for double posting, for some reason my previous post hasn't shown up yet O_o)

Actually, believe it or not, Samus's stoic and nearly unspeaking personality doesn't make her a blank slate. It's part of her character. Think about it:

This is what makes her an effective silent protagonist, and why others fail to approach any sort of depth (especially the much lauded Gordon Freeman, who offers ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO HIS OWN STORY).

Giving her a voice has proven to be a mistake, as executed.

Oh, and her Commanding Officer (Adam) is a total fucking idiot in Other M.

Atmos Duality:

ZeroMachine:

(Sorry for double posting, for some reason my previous post hasn't shown up yet O_o)

Actually, believe it or not, Samus's stoic and nearly unspeaking personality doesn't make her a blank slate. It's part of her character. Think about it:

This is what makes her an effective silent protagonist, and why others fail to approach any sort of depth (especially the much lauded Gordon Freeman, who offers ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO HIS OWN STORY).

Giving her a voice has proven to be a mistake, as executed.

Oh, and her Commanding Officer (Adam) is a total fucking idiot in Other M.

The "giving her a voice" thing? I disagree. In case you forgot, her first line in a video game was in none other than Super Metroid, the most highly praised Metroid game.

Making her an emo girl is what the problem is.

My main problem with modern Metroid games: they are 3D. The only Metroid games I have enjoyed so far are Super Metroid, Metroid: Fusion, and Metroid: Zero Mission.

Also I like that they acknowledge the canon from the manga in this game

EDIT: Oh, and the fact that they are on the Wii. Here's hoping motion control will climb back down into the pits of hell from whence it came.

ZeroMachine:

The "giving her a voice" thing? I disagree. In case you forgot, her first line in a video game was in none other than Super Metroid, the most highly praised Metroid game.

Wait, that robo-voice was supposed to be her??

Oh, and I should have made it more clear; I don't like HOW Nintendo has presented Samus as a vocal character. Not necessarily that giving her a voice would have killed her character.
(She has voice quotes for her taunts in Smash Bros Brawl too).

Atmos Duality:

ZeroMachine:

Wait, that robo-voice was supposed to be her??

Oh, and I should have made it more clear; I don't like HOW Nintendo has presented Samus as a vocal character. Not necessarily that giving her a voice would have killed her character.
(She has voice quotes for her taunts in Smash Bros Brawl too).

... Um............ start a new game of Super Metroid. The prologue is spoken by her. Not necassarily with recorded lines, but when you're reading that, you're reading her own words. That means, for all intents and purposes, she is not a silent protagonist.

ZeroMachine:

... Um............ start a new game of Super Metroid. The prologue is spoken by her. Not necassarily with recorded lines, but when you're reading that, you're reading her own words. That means, for all intents and purposes, she is not a silent protagonist.

Eh, that's stretching it a bit. Text-only dialogue still has an element interpretation to it.
Two people might read the same book, but they will interpret a character's personality differently.

When you give a character a real physical voice, you are giving them the only possible "real" interpretation of that character's personality.

I had this discussion with my friend only yesterday. He said a lot of people perceived Samus as a cold-hearted, soft-speaking badass, and I disagreed, because I imagined there was a bit of panic and determination in her text dialogue in prior games (most notably Fusion).

Either way, I dislike how Other M presents Samus. I'm unsure whether this decision came from Nintendo (there are traces of this same inept voice acting and cutscene technique in Prime 3: Corruption) or Team Ninja.

I personally am not too keen on Other M. It just doesn't feel like a Metroid game to me, and that is the clincher. I disagree that the exploration and the game play outweigh it's flaws. I do think there are virtues with Other M, though I can't say for sure what that might be.

Just beat the game. Thought it was pretty good. But the ending was BULLSHIT.

dududf:
I'm just checking here, was Steve kidding when he said you can use your powers when your boyfriend says it's alright?

Because if he wasn't kidding... I..I...Yeah.

No he was not kidding.

The example he gave is the most outragious one, were you spend a long time in lava filled caves takeing heat damage before your old commanding officer says

"hey samus why not trying out that heat-proof vera suit you've had with you this whole time"

same idea for all your other abilities

Also samus's voice in other M is enough to drive you mad, she will just not shut up...

For example, if you drank a beer every time she said "Baby" (refering to the baby metroid) in the opening cutsceen you would be dead before you got to any game play

Welp, guess it's time to play more Metroid Prime or Zero Mission, enjoy a GOOD Metroid game.

Fact is, an average Metroid game is, compared to the other games in the series, an absolute disappointment given the track record of the franchise, ESPECIALLY given the overall lack of stagnation in the Metroid titles until very recently.

Metroid really is (was?) the last great Nintendo franchise.

ZeroMachine:

Gigaguy64:

ZeroMachine:

StriderShinryu:
Now maybe all the people who gave Abbie Heppie from G4 shit for commenting on the terrible and broken characterization of Samus in her Other M review "just because she's a girl" will remove their lips from Nintendo's rear end... or probably not. *sigh*

Who are these people that were accusing that, and where do they live? I would like to promptly hit them over the head with a copy of Other M
>=(

EDIT: Just watched that review... and the only thing I have to say...

"Hold A to replenish missiles."

FUCK. THAT. SHIT. This game keeps sounding worse and worse the more I hear of it.

Pfahahaha.
So her suit refilling her Ammo by just a few Missiles is stupider than Space Pirates having Power Suit Shaped Missile and Health Stations IN THEIR OWN BASES!?
And it only restores Health when your about to DIE.
Kind of like a Backup tank.

I'm talking from a gameplay section, so yes, yes it does. I loved the parts in Metroid where I had to up the ante big time in order to survive. That takes that intensity out of it.

Well from what i keep being told, you still do haft to struggle a lot of the time.
Especially during bosses where you will find NO time to charge.
even if you have the charge Time upgraded.
And when your fighting a boss that does 75% DMG to your life and the Restore only heals one tank.
Your likely to put off recharging until the fight is over.

i'm just going to block this one from memory and indulge my other favorite series (halo and others), and just hope that metroid dread:

get's made eventually,
isn't a prequel,
is a sequel to metroid fusion,
has samus portrayed as a silent protagonist (aside from inner monologues),
is made Nintendo itself,
does not acknowledge metroid: other m in any way shape or form,
is a sidescroller,
and is for a handheld system but does not force you to utilize gimmicks.

that is my hope. and i doubt that most, if any, of those will hopes come to pass.

I still don't like that subtitle. Is there something in the game that makes it significant?

We went from the Prime trilogy to.... hunters and pinball to....this? Nintendo's utterly failed to bring me on board for the Wii for years now, and this doesn't magically change things, but the promise of a Metroid game was about as close as they were going to get TBH.

I'd be embarrassed for Nintendo because simply looking at what Prime did was a who's-who of great games on the gamecube, while this is....

Well, it feels like they skinned the Metroid series, turned it into beef jerky and tried to pass it off as fine steak.

acosn:
We went from the Prime trilogy to.... hunters and pinball to....this? Nintendo's utterly failed to bring me on board for the Wii for years now, and this doesn't magically change things, but the promise of a Metroid game was about as close as they were going to get TBH.

I'd be embarrassed for Nintendo because simply looking at what Prime did was a who's-who of great games on the gamecube, while this is....

Well, it feels like they skinned the Metroid series, turned it into beef jerky and tried to pass it off as fine steak.

Ummmmm.
im not sure if you know this but.

The Prime games came out in this order.
Prime 1, them Pinball, Echoes, Hunters, Corruption.

And Other M is doing something new with the series, the same thing Prime did.
Do you realize how many people HATED Prime as soon as it was announced?
A lot.
and you know there are still people who hate the prime series just because Nintendo made them and not Super Metroid 2.0

So im not saying that Other M is perfect but i am glad Nintendo tried something new, rather than make another Prime or Super Metroid.

I'm a Huuuuuuuge Metroid fan and my copy arrives tomorrow, but after all these reviews I'm a bit sceptic. For a start i don't like the new movement animation, it's way to frantic/fast, it looks very very unnatural. Second, I always enjoyed the more open world gameplay with all its alien ambience. From what I've seen, it lost all that. On the other hand, i liked the 3rd person-over-the-shoulder camera, I wonder if this wouldn't have been a better camera choice. Well, I will see how it all works out when I play it with my own two hands.

And a last thing, I think they should use that camera in their next Ninja Gaiden game, might really work.

Pedro The Hutt:

Onyx Oblivion:
*goes back to playing Prime Trilogy Collection*

If I didn't have this...I'd be very sad about Other M.

That said, I'll pick up Other M. Just for the story. Since it's the only Big N franchise that really has one worth delving into.

And yet that is apparently where this game goes tragically wrong, according to many reviewers. Samus Aran is constantly out of character in this game. And that's a real shame.

Maybe this is why nintendo character's essentially have no personality. Because when people see them with one they don't like it.

I heard 'sound and fury' as well as 'signifying' in the same sentence and immediately thought of Macbeth. No idea if that was intentional or not, but nice job there.

This game still sounds good despite the issues mentioned. I might pick it up.

Honestly, when I heard that one of the most praised female characters in gaming was allowed anywhere near Team ninja I lost faith in this one.

To all those trying to defend the game, saying "at least it tried something new", stop it. OK? The game is mediocre. Prime tried something new as well, people were skeptical but when they played, it mesmerised them. This didn't happen here. The game is like Fusion (hand holding, space station mimicking a planet, shit story) but where Fusion had 6 sectors, this has 3. Where that had an overwhelming nemesis hounding your every step, this has generic Space Marines. Where Fusion was quite punishing, this is a walk in the park. And Fusion wasn't even all that good. No matter how you look at it the truth is this: Too much bloat, too little game.

I also saw a comment about Team Ninja being at fult Samus is depicted the way she is. Again, no. It's all Mr. "my wonderful vision" Sakamoto's fault. In the credits he is the one credited as story writer director etcetc. He is also the one who oversaw and approved of the cutscenes realising his beautiful dream. I read he cried from joy at how perfect they were. So no, Team Ninja actually did something good, because if the game didn't have the over-the-top killing animations and dodges it would be even blander than it already is. It did make the game too easy though.

Also, about Adam. Guys, she may insist that she's like a father figure but the way she talks about him is like she has the Oedipus complex. No matter how much she respects him, she's a seasoned veteran, she wouldn't (for instance) need his permission to activate Varia after being burnt to a crisp. It wasn't dangerous for anyone and it was nonsensical not to. And her being scared of Ridley? After killing him...3? 4 times already? Seriously? And what's with all the "baby" talk? The little Metroid was referred to as the "larva" in Super Metroid and an "infant" in Fusion. Now she talks about it like she was it's mother? WTF?

And however much you like to mask it the refill mechanic was weak. As are the arguments to the opposite. If you were so much into the lore as you claim, you'd know that
a)The Chozo statues inside Pirate bases were there and they didn't suspect what they were so they let them be, Chozo tech is adaptive and modular, it'a only natural they'd have left gear for their chosen warriors
b)Samus's gun, when it destroys enemies, it alters their structure to create the energy needed to replenish the necessary shortages.
So no,both the Adam restriction and the concentration was unnecesary and it made the game even crappier than it already was.

MasterV:
To all those trying to defend the game, saying "at least it tried something new", stop it. OK? The game is mediocre. Prime tried something new as well, people were skeptical but when they played, it mesmerised them. This didn't happen here. The game is like Fusion (hand holding, space station mimicking a planet, shit story) but where Fusion had 6 sectors, this has 3. Where that had an overwhelming nemesis hounding your every step, this has generic Space Marines. Where Fusion was quite punishing, this is a walk in the park. And Fusion wasn't even all that good. No matter how you look at it the truth is this: Too much bloat, too little game.

Why shouldn't i defend it?
I completely and totally agree that its not that great of a Metroid Game.
But its still better than most are willing to acknowledge.
And i have not played the game.
All iv been able to do is talk with friends who have played it and watch videos of it, so my opinions come from that.

I also saw a comment about Team Ninja being at fult Samus is depicted the way she is. Again, no. It's all Mr. "my wonderful vision" Sakamoto's fault. In the credits he is the one credited as story writer director etcetc. He is also the one who oversaw and approved of the cutscenes realising his beautiful dream. I read he cried from joy at how perfect they were. So no, Team Ninja actually did something good, because if the game didn't have the over-the-top killing animations and dodges it would be even blander than it already is. It did make the game too easy though.

And that's a thing that gets me too.
Sakamoto is to blame for the Story and writing.
Not Team Ninja.
But about Sakamoto, im just glad that he got the "Characterization"(which i also think wasn't as good as it could/should have been) out of the way.

Also, about Adam. Guys, she may insist that she's like a father figure but the way she talks about him is like she has the Oedipus complex. No matter how much she respects him, she's a seasoned veteran, she wouldn't (for instance) need his permission to activate Varia after being burnt to a crisp. It wasn't dangerous for anyone and it was nonsensical not to. And her being scared of Ridley? After killing him...3? 4 times already? Seriously? And what's with all the "baby" talk? The little Metroid was referred to as the "larva" in Super Metroid and an "infant" in Fusion. Now she talks about it like she was it's mother? WTF?

I also agree here.
It is a week plot devise, but i still like the idea of activating her weapons and armor better than findint the Varia Suit AGAIN.
That's why i hate that the game takes place so far in the time line.
If it took place earlier then i would have liked the story better and made more of her actions a bit more believable.
But the baby thing is really really stupid and makes no sense in ANY context.

And however much you like to mask it the refill mechanic was weak. As are the arguments to the opposite. If you were so much into the lore as you claim, you'd know that
a)The Chozo statues inside Pirate bases were there and they didn't suspect what they were so they let them be, Chozo tech is adaptive and modular, it'a only natural they'd have left gear for their chosen warriors
b)Samus's gun, when it destroys enemies, it alters their structure to create the energy needed to replenish the necessary shortages.
So no,both the Adam restriction and the concentration was unnecesary and it made the game even crappier than it already was.

a)I(myself, cant speak for others) never mentioned the Chozo Statues because they do make sense, i talked about the Space Pirates having Health and Ammo Stations that were basically built to work with Samus's suit, in their own bases that weren't carved out of Chozo territory.
And why would Chozo Statues be in a Federation ship?
b)And i don't see how her Suit being modular has much to do with the Recharge.
If anything it would make sense that the suit has the ability to that, considering it can take almost anything and make it work.
Why cant it recharge itself like a backup system?

So yes, while they were both pretty stupid, i like them because at least its something different than the typical Loose your powers find them again, and Kill things to get energy.

Though i don't get why you think Fusion wasn't all that good.
It was still pretty hard, and you still had to explore a lot.
You get lost, bomb everything.
Plus from a gameplay standpoint it was really solid.
Nothing to really complain about because it was almost exactly like the games before it in that aspect.
And the Story was great, and well written.

Hah. Steve Butts.

Gigaguy64:

[...]

That's why, if you defend something that you didn't experienced yourself, you seem like a fanboy or sheep. All your points depend on the impressions others make (i.e. Your friends, the reviewer, the videomaker etc.) At best you can have a opinion on their opinions, knowing your sources may improve the reliability, but to really have the right to judge a game you need to play it yourself.

Gigaguy64:
All iv been able to do is talk with friends who have played it and watch videos of it, so my opinions come from that.

If you have not played it then you have no grounds to defend it. Watching someone play it doesn't give you any perspective how bad the controls are or how aggravating the game is to play because "interactive" cutscenes go out of their way to piss off the player. That's not even including the awful script, awful voice acting, and how sexist the game is in regards to women (only 2 human females in the game and they are both treated like they are weak and submissive and have mommy/daddy issues).

Gigaguy64:
And if you want even more info on it then Read the Metroid Manga.
It IS Cannon.

Canon or not, "The Manga" is a poor excuse to explain her behavior in MOM, considering it takes place before she's become "Samus Aran, Destroyer of Worlds" and the single worst thing to ever happen to Ridley and the Space Pirates.

HA HA "Nintendo has tried to do something different and bring a human edge, damn them for thinking of the gamers, they should have just done the same thing only different" the reviewers on this site suck

When did "having any amount of human emotion" become "being weak"? She CHOSE to follow Adam's orders, he didn't force her to. She responded to bad things that happened to people she cared deeply about. And you know what else she did? SHE KEPT GOING. She had every reason to have an emotional breakdown, to give up and quit, and MOST PEOPLE couldn't have handled it, yet she went on. That is strength if ever I saw it.

Weakness or strength is in how you handle your fears, emotions, and challenges. Having humanity is not weakness, and anybody who claims otherwise is wrong.

P.S. Thanks

Another game I can use to back up my point that gamers dont want anything new, despite all the gamers aying they want new.

Hmm, what everyone seems to be complaining about in this game sounds like things I'll really enjoy. I can't wait to play it.

Space Jawa:

Gigaguy64:
And if you want even more info on it then Read the Metroid Manga.
It IS Cannon.

Canon or not, "The Manga" is a poor excuse to explain her behavior in MOM, considering it takes place before she's become "Samus Aran, Destroyer of Worlds" and the single worst thing to ever happen to Ridley and the Space Pirates.

That is true.
But i have also said they with the place in the time line the game takes place in, it doesn't make any sense.
But because the Manga didn't do very well and most of the other games didn't have that much characterization for Samus i can understand why Sakamoto wanted to have this game Build on her.
Though i still think the story would fit better towards the beginning of the series time line.

deckai:

Gigaguy64:

[...]

That's why, if you defend something that you didn't experienced yourself, you seem like a fanboy or sheep. All your points depend on the impressions others make (i.e. Your friends, the reviewer, the videomaker etc.) At best you can have a opinion on their opinions, knowing your sources may improve the reliability, but to really have the right to judge a game you need to play it yourself.

I understand.
And i apologize for arguing before i played it myself.
Though once i do play it(soon i hope) i doubt my view will change.

Though i still think my views on the Story, Voice Acting, and Characterization still stand as i don't think i need to have a controller in my hands to fully grasp the Cutscenes or Samus's awful monologue.

Turbo_ski:

Gigaguy64:

If you have not played it then you have no grounds to defend it. Watching someone play it doesn't give you any perspective how bad the controls are or how aggravating the game is to play because "interactive" cutscenes go out of their way to piss off the player. That's not even including the awful script, awful voice acting, and how sexist the game is in regards to women (only 2 human females in the game and they are both treated like they are weak and submissive and have mommy/daddy issues).

Like i told deckai i apologize for getting into this before i played the game.

But i still think my points about the Story, Voice Acting, and Characterization still stand.
And i agree, they all suck.
Well....i actually like the story, just not the way its told.

Covarr:
When did "having any amount of human emotion" become "being weak"? She CHOSE to follow Adam's orders, he didn't force her to. She responded to bad things that happened to people she cared deeply about. And you know what else she did? SHE KEPT GOING. She had every reason to have an emotional breakdown, to give up and quit, and MOST PEOPLE couldn't have handled it, yet she went on. That is strength if ever I saw it.

Weakness or strength is in how you handle your fears, emotions, and challenges. Having humanity is not weakness, and anybody who claims otherwise is wrong.

P.S. Thanks

Sorry but that argument falls flat with the Varia Suit retardation and the fact she supposed to be world destroying and monster slaying veteran at this point. You do realize that Samus has defeated Ridley 4 times prior to this game, none of those times she ever took a moment to cry about how Ridley killed her family. It's complete bullshit and downright insulting she would do so at this point in the series. Also the fact they keep referring to her as lady and princess reconfirms that writer wanted Samus to be weak damsel in distress, the polar opposite of what Samus is previously known for.

Turbo_ski:

Covarr:

P.S. Thanks

Sorry but that argument falls flat with the Varia Suit retardation and the fact she supposed to be world destroying and monster slaying veteran at this point. You do realize that Samus has defeated Ridley 4 times prior to this game, none of those times she ever took a moment to cry about how Ridley killed her family. It's complete bullshit and downright insulting she would do so at this point in the series. Also the fact they keep referring to her as lady and princess reconfirms that writer wanted Samus to be weak damsel in distress, the polar opposite of what Samus is previously known for.

How does Samus having a Nickname from Adam and Anthony mean that Sakamoto wanted her to be a DiD?
In Fusion it was said that Adam called her Lady out of respect.
And Anthony, i figure its just a nickname.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here