PAX 2010: Hands On Duke Nukem Forever

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

PAX 2010: Hands On Duke Nukem Forever

Duke Nukem Forever exists, is playable, and is coming out next year.

Read Full Article

Wow, this really was out of nowhere. Go Duke!

I guess this is good?

The first ray of hope it will be fun. Not worth the wait, but fun.

I think Starcraft 2's slogan applies to this game more than any other. "Hell, it's about time."

Tis official then, Yahtzee is truly Yog Yatze, the Elder God of Video Games, bow down and prostrate yourselves before the Hat that covers his billion minds. For on the first day, Yahtzee did review Duke Nukem Forever, and lo, the review was good. And on the second day, the supplicant masses did grovel before the review and laud it with praises, and lo, it was good. And on the third day, Duke Nukem Forever did come into existence, and lo, it was fucking awesome.

The signs are clear, ye faithful set before Yahtzee your wishlist of games that should not logically exist, and he will bless you, AND SUMMON THEM FROM THE DEPTHS.

I'm so happy now, I just got Rick-Roll'd following a link while googling it, and I don't give a damn.

Hail to the King, baby.

Interesting. I had no idea of Gearbox and Pitchford's connection with 3D Realms. That gives me some confidence that perhaps a good game will emerge from all this. Perhaps.

THANK YOU GEAR BOX!

Big boss...What do you think about it?

Big Boss : This is...a good thing isn't it?

I guess so, Good sir. Today have beeen...wild.

Holy shit, they actually have a release date?!

Mind = BLOWN

I always thought that 3D Realms picked the title Duke Nukem Forever as a very long and expensive joke on us (DNF = Did Not Finish)

Can. Not. Wait. That's. A. Lie. I. Just. Need. Reach. And. Gears. Of. War. 3. And. Then. Once. I. Get. Bored. With. Them. I. Can. Not. Wait.

Sir, when my eyes do lie upon a copy of this title in a shop window, then and only then will I give merit to your fanciful assertions! Good day! No, seriously, I will order a parade to march the streets if Duke Nuken Forever does come out, but like so, so many others, I will remain sceptical about it's chances.

Some how I know it's not gonna be worth 12 years.

I still think this is just a sick, SICK joke.

But I do look forward to this game. In the day of brown, boring first person shooters, its nice to see a game that doesnt care about being artsy, nice looking, and just goes for plain fun.

Plus, its Duke Nukem Forever. No self respected gamer should go without adding this game to their collection, simply as a tribute to the fact that it FINALLY got rezzed and is going to exist.

That being said, for 12 years, it better do some stuff right. For example, not having a 5 hour campaign. Good, competitive, fast paced multiplayer. Variety.

And tits and swearing. It IS Duke Nukem, after all...

I hope Yahtzee's review is right.

EnigmaticSevens:
Tis official then, Yahtzee is truly Yog Yatze, the Elder God of Video Games, bow down and prostrate yourselves before the Hat that covers his billion minds. For on the first day, Yahtzee did review Duke Nukem Forever, and lo, the review was good. And on the second day, the supplicant masses did grovel before the review and laud it with praises, and lo, it was good. And on the third day, Duke Nukem Forever did come into existence, and lo, it was fucking awesome.

The signs are clear, ye faithful set before Yahtzee your wishlist of games that should not logically exist, and he will bless you, AND SUMMON THEM FROM THE DEPTHS.

Pointing out the duke review came out a long time ago....

PAX2010 Awards: "And the biggest surprise of PAX goes to.... Duke Nukem Forever!"

Hearing this was like a holy shit moment. I literally thought I'd never see the day in my life time that Duke Nukem Forever was actually going to see the light of day.

Once it releases, I suppose Valve's Half-Life 2 Episode 3 can take the title of "vaporware" and "never going to launch" take forever attitude.

Zeeky_Santos:

Freaking Chrono Trigger wouldn't have been worth 12 years development time, and it's my favorite game.

I was kind of hoping it would never come out so we could keep making Duke Nukem Forever jokes.

Well, at least we can still make HL2 Ep3 jokes.

I'm pretty confident that we will see this game coming out soon. The difference between this announcement and all the ones we had before is that now we have a company with project management skills behind it.

It's encouraging that they picked up most of the DNF team from 3D Realms - I don't think there was a lack of talent there, just terrible management. The stories of how they kept making changes that meant they had to chuck out huge amounts of assets are horrifying.

Samurai Goomba:

Zeeky_Santos:

Freaking Chrono Trigger wouldn't have been worth 12 years development time, and it's my favorite game.

I mean like, no matter how good it is, it is never ever ever gonna live up the the massive hype. 12 years of conditioning saying that this game should be the greatest game ever is gonna make us disappointed. I mean, look at how many people get disappointed at films because people say they are really good and they are really good but our minds say 'best evar' when they hear 'really good'. That effect only takes a few days or even a week, imagine 12 years of it.

Xzi:
I think Starcraft 2's slogan applies to this game more than any other. "Hell, it's about time."

Damn beat me to it.

EnigmaticSevens:

I think you forgot to include the amen.

Well there goes all the "never going to be released" jokes.

Ah well there's always Diablo 3. I'd go with Episode 3 like everyone else but 3 years of development time so far hardly justifies it.

Zeeky_Santos:

Samurai Goomba:

Zeeky_Santos:

I mean like, no matter how good it is, it is never ever ever gonna live up the the massive hype. 12 years of conditioning saying that this game should be the greatest game ever is gonna make us disappointed. I mean, look at how many people get disappointed at films because people say they are really good and they are really good but our minds say 'best evar' when they hear 'really good'. That effect only takes a few days or even a week, imagine 12 years of it.

Yep. Expect the biggest DN backlash ever after release. Either it'll have changed too much or not enough. The game is screwed either way. I mean, Duke Nukem was cool, but there were enough Duke games and expansions made, and during that time FPS titles weren't as complex as they are now. Say what you will, but a simple FPS doesn't necessarily make for a good one. TF2, for example, is anything but simple and it's a blast.

So I think the fanboys who like the old Duke will get all upset if ANYTHING is changed from how they remember DN 3D, etc. Others will think the game is TOO simple and hasn't advanced enough. There's a remote chance the game might hit some kind of Painkiller sweet spot (even though Painkiller bombed at first), but I'm not holding my breath. At least we know the game will sell if nothing else.

Duke is the man. I'll play it anyway, the fact that this game took twelve years is evidence of the epic struggle it took just to earn existence, not the fact that isn't worth it, because no game is. It will be worth $60 though, and that's really what you're spending on it.

Wow... I honestly thought this was a joke. I'm thinking they got to the booth and got Rick Rolled or something, but...holy shit it's real!

Further proof of Yahtzee's developing power of clairvoyance.

Hail to the king baby!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bslRpN2NT7U

Footage link from PAX :) Looks pretty sweet! :)

Randy Pitchford:
"You're gonna play Duke Nukem Forever, I shit you not."

Randy Pitchford is my hero.

Irridium:

Ah well there's always Diablo 3. I'd go with Episode 3 like everyone else but 3 years of development time so far hardly justifies it.

But Episode Three ISN'T EVEN A COMPLETE GAME.

Suskie:

Irridium:

But Episode Three ISN'T EVEN A COMPLETE GAME.

True, true, but neither was Starcraft 2. Well thats what the hardcore Starcraft fans say anyway, not too big on Starcraft myself. But I digress.

True its too far along development wise to be considered an episode, so instead it'll probably be a "finale" or something. At least I hope it will be. The longer its in development the bigger people hope it'll be.

Then again TF2 was a multiplayer only game and in development for 10+ years and that turned out absolutely fantastic.

You know what, I don't know where I'm going with this, so I'll just stop now.

Epitome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bslRpN2NT7U

Footage link from PAX :) Looks pretty sweet! :)

From that video:
"The graphics need some polish, but it's still pretty early."

Where the hell has that guy been for the last 12 years?

OT: I'm not interested. The sad truth is, the game is just gonna be another generic shooter. It'll live off of nostalgia and people will eat it up, no matter how bad it is.

ALWAYS bet on Duke!

off to go play duke nukem 3d!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54305)