PAX 2010: Hands On Duke Nukem Forever

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

my bro and I were having a discussion about things that would hint about the coming apocalypse, I said the release of "duke nukem forever", the next day, I saw the announcement on kotaku...Its coming.

Erm... this has probably been posted about sixteen times by now... but that bit with the Cycloid. Wasn't that the ending of the third campaign of "Duke Nukem 3D"? Including the eyeball bit?

I'm a little concerned that since it's the 3d team joining gearbox to make it, it may not be so great. What if they're just gonna dick around for another 10 years?

Duke is the king! He will not die. Never.

The Journey:

Evil the White:
THE UNIVERSE IS IMPLODING ON ITSELF
RUN WHILE YOU CAN

Your avatar totally makes that statement more meaningful. It's freaking me out!

It's because of it being A BOMB!

Wow. It's actually coming out. In other, non-gaming related news, hell has just frozen over, and swine have recently become airborne.

This might sound stupid...
But I, for one, am glad it will only be getting released 14 years after its initial showcase. (First shown in 1997, so it had already been in production for a couple of months, and now it will get a release in 2011 = not 12 years, but at least 14 years.)

Reason? We are being engulfed by 'modern warfare' crap like Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Battlefield on one side and the 'serious sci-fi' puddle with Halo, Crysis and Killzone. Now, I'm not saying they're bad games, not by a long shot. Hell, I even own a couple myself. But I want my TimeSplitters, Duke Nukems and old school Quake/Unreal-like games back!

Will it be worth the wait? Hell no! No game is worth a wait that long, but dammit, I'm gonna get myself a copy nonetheless.

Whats so great about Duke Nukem anyway?

I sure hope my preorder stub is still valid.

Duke Nukem Forever getting a release date...

all hail the great prophet Yahtzee, he who guides video games out of developer hell. all hail the prophecy of DUKE, for it has come to pass. all ye faithful join us in praise. -chanting: yathzee, yathzee, yathzee...-

Gearbox is the perfect choice for this, can't wait!

call it a coincidence all you like but this is obviously Yahtzee's doing
he should make a fake review of Jak 4
and make it good enough to win the next viewers choice thing

looks good, lets see how it plays.

I shall piss myself laughing if the game ends up a complete failure.

I have to believe that the Duke Nukem Forever we will finally play will be a shadow of its former self, whatever that self may have been. We'll get a competent FPS that would've gotten decent reviews at any point in the pre-Bioshock, pre-Call of Duty era.

But the feature creep that mired down the development process(if rumors are to be believed)will probably be stripped out of the game by Gearbox. The wonderful melange of half baked ideas and grand ambitions won't see the light of day, and that's too bad.

Because at the end of the day, none of us think Duke Nukem Forever is going to be a good game. But that's why we want to play it. We want to play it for the glorious Titanic of the gaming world that it is, flaws and all. Playing anything else, anything that vaguely conforms to our modern standards of gaming, will just be dull and boring. Give us Daikatana, not Prey.

Zeeky_Santos:

Samurai Goomba:

Zeeky_Santos:
Some how I know it's not gonna be worth 12 years.

Freaking Chrono Trigger wouldn't have been worth 12 years development time, and it's my favorite game.

I mean like, no matter how good it is, it is never ever ever gonna live up the the massive hype. 12 years of conditioning saying that this game should be the greatest game ever is gonna make us disappointed. I mean, look at how many people get disappointed at films because people say they are really good and they are really good but our minds say 'best evar' when they hear 'really good'. That effect only takes a few days or even a week, imagine 12 years of it.

I can't imagine the hype being that much of a problem, as was stated in the article, it's quite likely that people will see this as a bad game being cobbled together for a quick buck. I can hardly imagine that people actually expect that it will be worth a 12 year development time, the question is, will it be worth the money you spend on it?

I grew up on shooters like this and dark forces. I do feel however that since those games at least in my opinion gaming has evolved into an elitist state and I hope that people will look beyond the simplicity of plot and substance and see a (maybe) great game. The original painkiller and serious sam proved that this variation of fps can be pulled off well in my humble opinion.

HAIL THE KING, BABY!!!!!!

can't wait *head asplodes in excitement*

You what's ironic about Duke Nukem being non-serious/non-pretentious/non-artistic? That by subverting the current trend and going all out on stupid and testosterone it vaguely becomes a self-depricating parody that actually has *gasp* some cultural comment in there. Think of the recent movie Machete for reference. I guess FPS had to again come to a state of generic blandness for the stars to align and the Duke to retake the helm of B-game humor.

You what's ironic about Duke Nukem being non-serious/non-pretentious/non-artistic? That by subverting the current trend and going all out on stupid and testosterone it vaguely becomes a self-depricating parody that actually has *gasp* some cultural comment in there. Think of the recent movie Machete for reference. I guess FPS had to again come to a state of generic blandness for the stars to align and the Duke to retake the helm of B-game humor.

OR

they're just being lazy guys, trying to score the big money over the name of some old video-game character after wasting everyone's time for 12 years.
Because this "bland ego-shooter" you're talking about.....we have that already. Remember this guy: http://wire.ggl.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/serioussam1.jpg

That's what you were describing. Minus the cultural comment-stuff. DNF as we've seen it so for has neither of it. Although I'm sure they'll come up with that explanation to justify their lack of any interesting concept.

-Samurai-:

OT: I'm not interested. The sad truth is, the game is just gonna be another generic shooter. It'll live off of nostalgia and people will eat it up, no matter how bad it is.

frankly if there is a series that hurt from trying to be modern and fresh is Duke Nukem, in the end itīs just a tongue in cheek goof about 1980 action movies heroes, and the game works best driving on with that.

I say Hail to the king baby!

for some reason i dont give a shit, i wonder why that is....

I have an odd feeling of deja vu, like I've heard this before...

But fuck it.
Hail to the King, baby!

I can't wait.

I'm waiting for someone to say "April Fool's."

Yes, I know it's September, but for all you know this is 2007's April Fool's joke.

I loved Duke Nukem...I will definitely be buying this one.

Irridium:

Suskie:

Irridium:
Well there goes all the "never going to be released" jokes.

Ah well there's always Diablo 3. I'd go with Episode 3 like everyone else but 3 years of development time so far hardly justifies it.

But Episode Three ISN'T EVEN A COMPLETE GAME.

True, true, but neither was Starcraft 2. Well thats what the hardcore Starcraft fans say anyway, not too big on Starcraft myself. But I digress.

True its too far along development wise to be considered an episode, so instead it'll probably be a "finale" or something. At least I hope it will be. The longer its in development the bigger people hope it'll be.

Then again TF2 was a multiplayer only game and in development for 10+ years and that turned out absolutely fantastic.

You know what, I don't know where I'm going with this, so I'll just stop now.

You're implying they're actually working on Half Life this entire time. I swear they swapped and focused on L4D and TF for a little while before returning to it?

dogstile:

Irridium:

Suskie:

Irridium:

Ah well there's always Diablo 3. I'd go with Episode 3 like everyone else but 3 years of development time so far hardly justifies it.

True, true, but neither was Starcraft 2. Well thats what the hardcore Starcraft fans say anyway, not too big on Starcraft myself. But I digress.

True its too far along development wise to be considered an episode, so instead it'll probably be a "finale" or something. At least I hope it will be. The longer its in development the bigger people hope it'll be.

Then again TF2 was a multiplayer only game and in development for 10+ years and that turned out absolutely fantastic.

You're implying they're actually working on Half Life this entire time. I swear they swapped and focused on L4D and TF for a little while before returning to it?

Well, according to this video it seems Valve employs over 200 people(skip to 4:30).

200+ is a lot of employees, and they most likely got that much by gradually hiring people. And a few years ago Yahtzee actually visited Valve and remarked it employed just over 100 people. This would be just after the Orange Box was released.

I'm sure there's a dedicated team that grew gradually as time went on.

Irridium:

dogstile:

Irridium:

Suskie:

Irridium:

Well, according to this video it seems Valve employs over 200 people(skip to 4:30).

200+ is a lot of employees, and they most likely got that much by gradually hiring people. And a few years ago Yahtzee actually visited Valve and remarked it employed just over 100 people. This would be just after the Orange Box was released.

But of course, we're arguing over speculation, so neither one of us will ever win.

Ah well. Have a cupcake *offers cupcake*

dogstile:

But of course, we're arguing over speculation, so neither one of us will ever win.

Indeed.

*noms cupcake*

*offers pie*

Irridium:

dogstile:

Indeed.

*noms cupcake*

*offers pie*

I'm glad that was resolved :P

*noms pie*

dogstile:

Irridium:

dogstile:

Irridium:

Suskie:

Irridium:

Except it's been confirmed before that Valve is divided into teams that work on their separate products. They sometimes cross over to work with the other teams, but that is only temporairly. So it's not speculation to say that they have been working on Episode 3 for 3 years now.

Internet Kraken:

dogstile:

Irridium:

Except it's been confirmed before that Valve is divided into teams that work on their separate products. They sometimes cross over to work with the other teams, but that is only temporairly. So it's not speculation to say that they have been working on Episode 3 for 3 years now.

Musta missed that announcement.

Well then, in light of this new evidence, i offer you this rebuttal

Headbiter:

OR

they're just being lazy guys, trying to score the big money over the name of some old video-game character after wasting everyone's time for 12 years.
Because this "bland ego-shooter" you're talking about.....we have that already. Remember this guy: http://wire.ggl.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/serioussam1.jpg

That's what you were describing. Minus the cultural comment-stuff. DNF as we've seen it so for has neither of it. Although I'm sure they'll come up with that explanation to justify their lack of any interesting concept.

Nah, you misunderstand me. I'm not saying they're actually trying to get some kind of point across. I don't think that was even on the developers' minds. I'm saying that regardless of that it will become that bizarre parody in a lot of people's eyes, mostly unwillingly.

I must wake up...I MUST.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or