PAX 2010: Rage Preview

Pages 1 2 NEXT

PAX 2010: Rage Preview

It may not look all that unique anymore, but that doesn't mean it doesn't look good.

Read Full Article

Rage looks good, too bad my PC will never run it!
Also, did it start devolpment before Fallout 3? I'm not too sure on that matter.

Only bad thing about it is that it is still another year away. :(

am looking forward to this.
need more good single player shooters.

It's a shame that it doesn't look massively unique, but you can't have everything! This should be damned good!

And the Rage engine... That thing looks (perhaps) more promising than Rage itself.

i really hope it epic i would like to see id back on top again since they were the first and probably the most inventive and ahead of the curve until opengl standard went down the tubes with a horrible release.

Brink, Rage~

Why must you both be so far away?!?

>.>;
I seriously hope i dont get hit by a car before i get to play them both.

It sounds similar to Fallout 3 but without the sexy RPG bits. This will probably be good, but I wouldn't count on it being great.

Ooh... Rage just keeps looking better and better in my eyes as time goes by... I've gone from "seriously don't care" to "aw, why's it a year away?"

Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon:
Rage looks good, too bad my PC will never run it!

I'm sure it will, Carmack made rage work on a iPhone.

Assassin Xaero:
Only bad thing about it is that it is still another year away. :(

Yeah and if they think it looks less unique now imagine how it will look afetr new vegas and possibly some other post apocalypse games come out in between.

Still it looks good the narrative seems to work and the environments seem suitably bleak and epic. Look forward to keeping an eye on this

Not only does this game ''look'' like Fallout, but the ProjeEden Project idea is almost exactly the same as the Vault Project from the Fallout series. This game doesn't seem to do anything unique. And even if it does they're probably minor.

ChupathingyX:
Not only does this game ''look'' like Fallout, but the ProjeEden Project idea is almost exactly the same as the Vault Project from the Fallout series. This game doesn't seem to do anything unique. And even if it does they're probably minor.

Agree totally with this.

ChupathingyX:

True, but if it gets the shooting mechanics right I will forgive it. VATS made Fallout 3 all but unplayable to me.

Also, if it does everything it claims to do and does them well, will it's lack of outright originality truly matter?

The front page pictures looks eerily similar to Resident Evil's Nemesis...image

That second screenshot looks a bit zeno clash-y

UGH why does it have to be a year away?!

Looks interesting but I'll wait to see if it's a good buy for next year.

I bet Rage will cause a few rage quits. *couldn'tresistsorry*

Although, I'll stick to Fallout 3, thank you.

Oh, baby. This sounds fun.

I never played Borderlands, but I have no problem with any similarities this has with Fallout 3, especially since it sounds like it improves on what it has in common. For example, it also has "super mutants," but they sound a hell of a lot more fun to fight than slightly bigger humanoids that just play like human enemies with more health.

a 3D Realms game and an ID game at the top of gaming news - I love it.

Sure it doesn't look too unique, but if it's good i won't really care. Grabbing this as soon as it comes out... why must that be a year!

fix-the-spade:

ChupathingyX:

True, but if it gets the shooting mechanics right I will forgive it. VATS made Fallout 3 all but unplayable to me.

Also, if it does everything it claims to do and does them well, will it's lack of outright originality truly matter?

Yes but VATS was completely optional, there was never at any time a moment when you were forced to use it. But yes the shooting wasn't that great. Also I said Fallout, not Fallout 3, I'm speaking on behalf of the series, in the first two games there really wasn't anything wrong or broken with the shooting unless you don't like trn-based gameplay.

Also why does everyone keep thinking that Fallout 3's representation of things is the "true" one. Fallout 1 and 2 were very different, especially super mutants, in Fallout 1/2 super mutants were a lot different, much more smarter and stronger.

This seems like so long to wait!

Borderlands meets Fallout?

Sounds fucking awesome

Looks good, i definatly enjoy Post-apocalyptic games. Hopefully it will be awesome.

Looks awsome, I hope its for 360.

I am definitely not over these types of games yet, so I look forward to it.

Whether it is for development reasons or not, I also think they are wise to have a decent gap between this being released and Fallout New Vegas being released.

Perhaps it's not original anymore, but come on, a whole bunch of us are going to go out and buy Fallout: New Vegas, which is just more Fallout. What's wrong with this being like a more shooter oriented Fallout with way better graphics?

imnotparanoid:
Looks awsome, I hope its for 360.

It's coming out for PC, 360, PS3, and possibly even iPhone.

I'd be willing to give this one a shot. I'll need to upgrade my computer first though.

My reaction to this when I first saw the trailer was exactly the same as everyone else, "Haven't I already played this before, twice?" But when I found out who was behind it, I decided to take a more wait-and-see approach before passing final judgement.

Nothing is really "unique."
Especially since whenever a new game comes out, people go out of their way to try and compare it to a different game.
Once someone says "this is gonna be unique." People try and find other games similar to it, just to prove them wrong.
Who cares if it is "unique." I just hope its fun, thats what makes me want to play a game.

With the glut of FPS's on the market, it really takes something special to get me interested. Rage does indeed have great graphics, the gameplay looks fun (particularly the vehicle segments), and that's all well and good, but I'm not sold on the overall art direction and setting. The post-apocalypse, vast desert wasteland setting has never been a particularly great interest to me (and I did wholly dislike Fallout 3 and Borderlands) and it leaves the game filled with loads of brown-colored environments almost by it's very nature. Rage will still be a good game, perhaps a great one, but I'll probably not be picking it up.

Jiraiya72:
The front page pictures looks eerily similar to Resident Evil's Nemesis...image

Heh, "HUUURRRR..."

While I haven't heard much about Rage, the gameplay alone looks solid. I'll probably give it a rent when it comes out.

well, I always thought of Borderlands as Fallout Lite with Multiplayer; so this looks more to be a straight up Fallout clone.

Both are post apocalyptic survival games, filled with bandits, mutants, and bad guys - oh my. Doesn't mean it can't be good, but seriously, it's a year away. The only game I want to know about that far in advance is Diablo III.

EDIT: and yes, that includes Duke Nukem Forever. That white rabbit has been running around for so long that until I hear it's gone gold, I won't credit any arrival dates.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here