Hideo Kojima and Women

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Caliostro:

Sinclose:

Uh huh. I read it first time around as well.
I still don't see what you're getting at. I never said Yahtzee despised Kojima, I said he despised his work. You made it sound as though I said Yahtzee despised Kojima, which I never inferred. Heck, he even said in this here article that it's a rare thing to have a creator in the games industry intimately attached to his franchise, so it'd be a pretty stupid thing to say.

I never said anything that would warrant the statement you made in the 1st place :-/

You're being pedantic, and in the process missing the point entirely.

tl;dr: He never said he hated the man's work, only his atrocious writing. Kojima's work is more than his writing.

Ah, so this is where we viewed things differently.
I said his work because although only his writing was mentioned, Yahtzee claimed dislike for the mechanics of the MGS franchise as a whole, although not necessarily within ZP. For example, he hated the emphasis on gunplay(that he disliked as well) in MGS4 despite this being an 'espionage adventure' and the last mission of Snake. His review of MGS4, as one example, mentions more than the writing as a negative factor. Granted I don't know what he thinks of Kojima's games outside MGS(have no idea if he even played them), but his dislike of Kojima's work expands to more than his writing.

I was being pretty broad when I said that, I'll admit. I merely believe he hates more than just the writing in Kojima's work. When his dislike expands to gameplay also I think it encompasses dislike of the breadth of Kojima's work, although I can see where you're coming from.

It's cool though, apologies for having missed the earlier point you were trying to get across. I admit I overflew it, and also could have done a better job of making a more specific statement ^_^

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Plus, being English, I felt uncomfortable knowing I was probably related to someone who'd done a massacre there once.

Is that better or worse than being a Queenlander, and knowing that the last ansestor who visited might have done so to collect some slaves.
But I guess you're both huh?

Not from Queensland myself

How stoked are you that Duke Nukem Forever is really happening and that you'll get a chance to review it for real?

Well at least his attitude towards women is still better than Frank Miller, a man who has yet to realize that the word Woman and the word Whore are not interchangeable.

Playing Devil's advocate I will say that Kojima has frequently said that he sees the Metal Gear Solid series as his version of a James Bond story. And James Bond movies have never had the most progressive attitude towards their female characters.
In fact their cartoonishly lascivious femme fatales are one of the trademarks of the franchise.

On the other hand I'm not going to try to defend Kojima's sanity in any way, the man is completely off his nut.
If you decide that your Military adventure game needs Psychic Ghosts, Russian Pyromantic Cosmonauts and a crazy Bee Man you have clearly lost your mind.

Sinclose:

Ah, so this is where we viewed things differently.
I said his work because although only his writing was mentioned, Yahtzee claimed dislike for the mechanics of the MGS franchise as a whole, although not necessarily within ZP. For example, he hated the emphasis on gunplay(that he disliked as well) in MGS4 despite this being an 'espionage adventure' and the last mission of Snake. His review of MGS4, as one example, mentions more than the writing as a negative factor. Granted I don't know what he thinks of Kojima's games outside MGS(have no idea if he even played them), but his dislike of Kojima's work expands to more than his writing.

I was being pretty broad when I said that, I'll admit. I merely believe he hates more than just the writing in Kojima's work. When his dislike expands to gameplay also I think it encompasses dislike of the breadth of Kojima's work, although I can see where you're coming from.

It's cool though, apologies for having missed the earlier point you were trying to get across. I admit I overflew it, and also could have done a better job of making a more specific statement ^_^

He did say he disliked MGS4 as a whole, particularly because it moved away from stealth and mostly into "bad action" terrain. But still, "wouldn't have been that bad if we actually got to PLAY the game" was the feeling I got from his MGS review.

From my point of view, Yahtzee seems to appreciate the earlier titles's gameplay. I admit I'm not the biggest MGS fan in the world, but the series seems to have moved further and further away from the "stealth" aspect and into "sneak around...long enough to kill everything!" mode.

Hmmmm, well the dilemma here is that the choice is down to you. Snake has always been shown to have love for the ladies, I guess you get some cutscenes in two views:

The 'actual' cutscene where we listen to Roy Campbell or Otacon or Liquid.
The actual cutscene which shows us where Snake's attention is really aimed.

You don't have to undress Paz, but you can if you want to delve into Big Boss' deeply hidden perversive thoughts.

Diddy_Mao:
Well at least his attitude towards women is still better than Frank Miller, a man who has yet to realize that the word Woman and the word Whore are not interchangeable.

The best example of this is Linkara's review of All Star Batman and Robin, when he comments on the script issued by Miller...

Here's something weird you guys might not believe: Japan, the same country which damn near idolises rape, has the lowest rape rate in the world last time I checked. Seriously.

And I wonder what he will say about that scene in K&L2 where they run through the streets naked.

Good to hear you had fun.
So...any thoughts on the reappearance of Duke Nukem Forever?

So... you're going to completely overlook the incredibly controversial 600-comment clusterfuck of the last article to do with the term 'gamer'? I expected at least some sort of venerable defence against folks who disagreed with you for that article.

I did envy your holiday, though. The most i did was go to Norfolk - hooray. And i hope you lynch Kane & Lynch 2 tomorrow, i really do. I can't stand IPs that live long past their sell-by date, particularly incredibly shoddy ones that weren't even that popular to begin with and never deserved a sequel. I'd also like you to tear apart Army of Two 40th Day and Crackdown 2 when you get the chance. They also fill this criteria.

ProtoChimp:
Here's something weird you guys might not believe: Japan, the same country which damn near idolises rape, has the lowest rape rate in the world last time I checked. Seriously.

Who here's willing to bet a lot is unreported?

Babitz:
Kojima is a mediocre designer at best. Not to mention how much he "borrows" influence from others. After MGS1, everything went downhill.

Anyway, can't wait to see K&L2 raped by Yahtzee.

Yeah, see I'm not sure if a "spoiler warning" for that last bit might have been a happy warning, or the most redundant addition to a text since the long-forgotten eleventh commandment was written a couple of thousand years ago ("Thou shall not spoon"). Let's just say that I wasn't expecting him to call it a masterpiece.

I only liked the first one, and i dont think it went to much overboard in that one, but yeah sex sells. Kojima probably wanted to be born a girl or something, just see the amount of attention he gives to Raiden jezz.

Meh, Hideo seems to be just another designer in the still male-dominated industry of the gaming world. Seriously why does every game like that have to resort to sexually demeaning women? Yeah, we have boobs, so what? If you guys like them so much, why don't you get your own? I can guarantee that you'll get tired of them after the first few days. They aren't really that great, especially when you have kids. But oh well... there are just some things you can't beat out of a dead horse. Or in this case an entire industry of like-minded people.

I hope you enjoyed your holiday Yahtzee. :] Welcome back.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
So yes, I had a lovely holiday, not that anyone asked.

Of course I didn't. And I don't care. I want my weekly dose of shits and giggles.
And a Mafia 2 review.

Oh god it's gonna get bloody tomorrow with KL2...

Hmmm, all I got from that is I need to youtube or google image some MGS: Peace Walker scenes, and I should enjoy Yahtzee tearing K&L2 a new asshole tomorrow....thanks Yahtzee, you're the best!=D

Zer0Saber:
Did anyone listen to the tape of the lesbian lotion rubdown in Peace Walker? That's not a joke, that's in the game.

Oh thank you! I'll start with that first...=D

Christ, that's just the beginning of this particular rabbit hole. did you see the promotional shots for Peace Walker?

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/05/sexy-time-with-metal-gear-solid-peace-walker/

I think Kojima's gay. If not then he's just a typical dude who hides his fear of women through lame in-jokes, exploitation, and misogyny. But I really think he's gay. There's just too much.....stuff in his games. And everybody just plays it off as wacky Japanese humor. I don't think so, I think he's telling us something. Doesn't Snake hide in the closet a lot? 'Duh, those are lockers, duh' Same difference.

And Raiden, come on. Dude's gay. And don't forget Zone of Enders. The cockpit? FLLLAAAAAMING, HELLOOOOOOOOOO! Or not.....maybe I'm gay for thinking he's gay.

i would like to ease Yahtzee's conscience somewhat by pointing out that it's not that likely that his relatives ever directly massacre anyone.

just gave them syphilis.

rule britainia we will literally f**k you to death

The major thing I've noticed about Hideo Kojima's female characters is their propensity for talking. And talking. And talking. And talking some more. And then just when you think they've stopped talking and the cutscene is over, they talk some freaking more! Every single female character is a walking exposition dump. Well, I suppose all Kojima's characters are, but the women get stuck with it more often.

Axeli:
Even if it was more than just a poor excuse, it failed horribly at whatever point it was trying to make. And if it indeed was trying to shame us for ogling at objectified women in the same manner the game occasionally does with violence, it was the most hypocritical message ever considering where it was coming from.

I'd like to see a game that actually does this (non-hypocritically). I doubt it will be a MGS game, though.

MGS1 was the first game I ever truely really LOVED so the series really has a fondness in my heart. But even i can admit MGS4 wasn't perfect... at all. However all the rubbish about the psp being the inferior handheld. Really? For someone who despises nintendo knockoff series rehashes so much. I don't want to do bloody maths on my console I want to play patapon, gitaroo man, Wipeout. You know games which run on a previous generation console they're still making games for it was so good. I love my psp and see no faults with it.

Looking forward to Kane get Lynched!

Anybody remember Meryl from the first MGS? She was conditioned into losing her sexual attraction to men, but they never explain why they did this to her or why they didn't do it to anybody else. And she ends up falling in love with Snake anyway. I was weirded out.

thetrue13th:
So he hasn't got to the mission 'A date with Paz' yet...

I thought it was a bit weird, but there is one with Kaz as well. So it balances out. I least . . . I think it does.

At least he's not Itagaki. That dude is hopelessly crazy, as opposed to Kojima's relatively mild eccentricities.

Until we hear about Kojima sexually harassing any female (or male) interns, we can rest assured that Japan's game industry has worse people running it.

While I agree that Kojima is completely insane (although, you have to be in order to be a genius), I don't think it's fair to compare him to George Lucas. At least Kojima's work didn't suck from the get go.

That said, it certainly does sound like Kojima has been treating the female characters worse with each new title....MGS 3 being considered a prime example.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Snip

I assume then that MGS: Peace walker won't get a full review?

Hmm... Ok.

I personally would like to see you rip Kane and Lynch: The 4 hour Youtube video expansion pack 2

Ah, sounds like a nice time was had on vaction, except for the PSP buisness.

Me, I've never completed a MG game, I got about half way through Solid before I had to return it, but it does sound like his perversions are leaking... flowing... flooding, into his game design. I've never had much of a problem with perversions, but putting them into your job, whish millions of people across the world will play? Bad form.

From the mgs wiki:

During development of Metal Gear Solid 4, Hideo Kojima wanted the Beauty and the Beast Unit to be naked, though this would have severely affected the game's censorship rating. Yoji Shinkawa stated that the motion capture actors were asked to do the motion capture nude, though this could also not be used in the game.

He is Japanese.
No further description is necessary.

Bonus:

I can't f'ing wait for you to shit all over Kane & Lynch.

As for this topic -- is it really any different then how women are treated/depicted in almost every other video game?? It's got more of a weird Japanese spin on it, but that's to be expected. You are basically combining Kojima's noted insanity with the average hyper-sexualized depiction of chicks in video games. The result isn't very surprising to me.

Meryl was a strong admirable female character though... except for when she was pining over Snake like a schoolgirl and busy being helpless and needing rescue, and undergoing some kind of torturous pain.. oh wait.

Indignation837:
Hey now Yahtzee, that's not fair. I had every intention of asking how your vacation was in the comments - not that you'd reply - but you never gave me the chance. Anyway, I can't say I've ever played through an MGS game, but I'll take your word for it. We are also talking about the country that makes JRPGs after all, where 90% of female characters are shy and may as well have a tattoo on their forehead that reads "Please fall in love with me, main character".

do you like golden sun?

Yay! Kane and Lynch 2! Maybe someone wll actually not say its awful.

OT: I laughted at the "Oh, it's medical" part.

This really is more of a "what's wrong with the industry" question, though I do wonder what is wrong with Kojima.

Akalistos:

Zer0Saber:
Did anyone listen to the tape of the lesbian lotion rubdown in Peace Walker? That's not a joke, that's in the game.

I heard how Strangelove gave bath to That bird chick every so often, and how she was so gentle.

I was taking about the recording that Paz makes about Strangelove giving her a topless rubdown, it's a bit detailed.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here