Hideo Kojima and Women

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I wonder what would happen if a woman played one of these games...

Seriously, there is a fine line between extra bits of goodness and extra bits of pointlessness to express his insanity.

Glad you're back Yahtzee, and that your vaction was good. Also great artical, though I disagree with the oversexulaztion. I mean it is there clearly but Hideo oversexualise both men and women. Something you don't see often in games, if the writting were to clear up and the stealth go back to the mgs three days then I think we would have a even more solid series.

Kane and Lynch 2? Nuts. I was hoping for a verbal mauling of Metroid: Other M/Metroid Prime retrospective.

@Sinclose & @Caliostro

Do you guys know what you're arguing about?

I have to say i agree though. Even before Metal Gear Solid's popularity, games like Snatcher had things you wouldn't see in any other game.

I don't even like the Metal Gear Solid series past number 2, but you have to admit, they give alot of attention to detail, as well as completely different problem solving methods you wouldn't see in any other game.

Even if some of the problems you have to solve are completely over the top and insane.

MGS4 let you zoom in on a cutscene. I thought it was so creepy those times that when there was a woman on screen the camera would zoom in by itself. The fun of having the ability to zoom in makes you feel like a perv zooming in on someone's breasts. When the game does it for you then it makes me feel like I'm sitting next to an even bigger pervert. It aslo makes me think that all the female models were nude when they did their job. People really should be calling him out on being such a perv. It's really getting out of hand, unless you like that kind of thing.

docbox1567:
I thought it was so creepy those times that when there was a woman on screen the camera would zoom in by itself. The fun of having the ability to zoom in makes you feel like a perv zooming in on someone's breasts. When the game does it for you then it makes me feel like I'm sitting next to an even bigger pervert.

That made me laugh. Thanks for that. And it sounds like the same kind of reaction I get when I see sex scenes in movies. I feel like I'm intruding on something I shouldn't and I'm not allowed the option of respecting privacy.

Last sentence = Zing! And yes, Hideo is fucked up, but he makes good games though.

Kojima is Japanese, that should tell you enough.

And don't forget to then phone Otacon or Rose while you were "kissing" the pictures...
Then you got a rather disturbing Codec call =D

And some people wonder why A) most girls don't play video games, B) Girls get offended by video games, and C) gamers get (whether they deserve it or not) the reputation of being gigantic pervs while society judges. Yet unfortunately, games get a worse rap for being violent than they do for exploiting female bodies (and have the girls do a strip tease show). Well, they do that everywhere else in this culture anyway, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Then, guys complain about women having rights, being touchy, or being feminist.

As a woman I get that in the "clothes removing x-ray gaze" from men when I walk down the street, honestly Kojima I don't need to come home and find it in my recreational entertainment. But then again, you're a Japanese man. I should probably just find a crow bar, beat you over the head and call it a day.

thetrue13th:
So he hasn't got to the mission 'A date with Paz' yet...

I wonder if knows it's also possible to date Kaz.

canadamus_prime:

Akalistos:

canadamus_prime:
So let me get this straight, in Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker in the middle of, what I presume, is a serious cutscene, you get a magic prompt to strip the female characters and ogle them?

No, you get to strip a 14 year old girl to her underwear for no F'in reason. I thought they did it to show scars on her (being tortured and kept prisoner) but i restart the game and there's nothing to see. And I play the game with a connector to a 32'' Flat screen HD TV. There's no way i could have miss them even if i wanted to.

And the difference being... what?

Pedophilia! Why the hell do you need that sequence in a game, really. As much as he Yahtzee says you can "zoom" through clothes, there's only 2 instance. Paz's Intro and Amanda's Fall from the Colibri(Hummingbird). The second is a stupid gimmick (stolen by the new MK), but show her fracture leg for story purpose (aka: removing her from it). There's another scene later where Cecile, a captured French ornithologist, escape and found Snake, in which you inspect her... but she at least half dress.

Paz is the only one treated that way and

That's a major difference!

Zer0Saber:

Akalistos:

Zer0Saber:
Did anyone listen to the tape of the lesbian lotion rubdown in Peace Walker? That's not a joke, that's in the game.

I heard how Strangelove gave bath to That bird chick every so often, and how she was so gentle.

I was taking about the recording that Paz makes about Strangelove giving her a topless rubdown, it's a bit detailed.

I'm at the point where i got to get her back, but the base is alerted. Must be after... and I'm gonna get sick.

Edit: Also see Previous post... just above this one.

civver:

ProtoChimp:
Here's something weird you guys might not believe: Japan, the same country which damn near idolises rape, has the lowest rape rate in the world last time I checked. Seriously.

Who here's willing to bet a lot is unreported?

Almost certainly, apparently there's an expectation for Japanese women to be submissive and to not make a fuss about it. I looked into it a while ago after spending an afternoon yelling "why don't you just kick his ass!?" at anime. Apparently the sexual culture over there is completely different to in the west.

This article was hilarious.

MGS steadily went downhill for me as well; I enjoyed 1, liked 2, and that was it. I forced myself to play 3 like swallowing cough medicine, but it was awful and would just not end. And I lucked out and had a devoted roommate play 4 so I saw most of the cutscenes. 'Most' being 100 hrs or whatever.

I had noticed, though attributed to the action setting, the bias on women for some things in the series. Rose in MGS2 was somewhat of a crackhead too, though I guess that depends on whether you believe it was her towards the end or some AI version of her talking.

-Another thing that got me about the series was the believability. MGS1 had largely realistic stuff in it. MGS2 and onwards went way over the top, starting with Vamp. Who was so appealing they decided to reprise his role in 4. Awesome.

Secret world leader (shhh):
MGS4: Naomi upskirt shot and beauty and beasts.
MGS:PW: x-ray pervert-o-vision.
MGS: rising: ????

Ehehe, MGS: Rising. 'Rising.'

I think it's important to remember that, while I even agree with you that this is creepy beyond my ability to appreciate it creativly, this is still vision unchained. We can't praise creative freedom, but then decide there's too much of it when somone creates something we don't care for.

That said... fucking japan seriously. A nation I have never been to that has had a profound influence on my youth, and simultaniously presents me with things that show me just how far the rabbit hole goes if you don't decide to stop crawling.

I haven't played a metal gear in a while. I enjoyed 2 but i could feal the creepy factor moving toward my threshold at the end. It was just enough for me to call it unique and enjoyable. But I felt a bit weary of the narrative by the end.

Go to hear you had a chance to relax.

I'd been guessing for a holiday you'd either lock yourself in a room with a few classics to play for a week, or get as far away from games and anyone who could recognise you.

Yeah this doesnt really surprise me at all. Its pretty much been like this always. But sometimes the japanese seem to take this to ridiculous heights. I mean just look at Naruto. Allright so maybe not so much in regards to sex, but more in regards to gender roles.

Right. I've been known to enjoy a bit of Japanese media, a few games and local cuisine and hell even one of their martial arts. So does this make me some kind of huge bastard?

Moving on, how exactly does one bring about social change that massive? We're talking about a complete shift of expected social roles.

There is one thing I'm reasonably sure of: the average Japanese man, goes to work with same concerns as you and I: "Will I still have a job in six months?", "Can I afford all my payments this month?" etc. They love their spouses, love their children, their parents and so on and so forth.

While I'm firmly of the opinion that anyone who tries to have a stab at sexual assault deserves to get their throat crushed 'neath your heel I'll no more condemn the Japanese as a whole for it than the common man on the street for all the sex crime that happens in Australia.

And looking forward to Kane and Lynch's curb stomping.

Those mech women sound like a satire of a staple of anime, obviously not something that'll fare well among people who don't watch that kind of stuff.

Anyway, from what I hear Yahtzee really needs to play Amnesia: The Dark Descent because it plays like the fixed-up version of Silent Hill Shattered Memories he wanted.

Babitz:
"..." After MGS1, everything went downhill.

Mm-hmm, couldn't agree more. By now, I'd take an upskirt QTE over another 30 min. speech about battlefield honor any day of the week.

Akalistos:

No, you get to strip a 14 year old girl to her underwear for no F'in reason. I thought they did it to show scars on her (being tortured and kept prisoner) but i restart the game and there's nothing to see. And I play the game with a connector to a 32'' Flat screen HD TV. There's no way i could have miss them even if i wanted to.

Sixteen-year-old. And ironically enough, you did miss the scars; they're there. If your Flat screen HD TV is playing tricks on you, disconnect or just youtube the scene.

Never was bothered with women in MG-MGS2, despite women being treated like crap, mainly because I got the "guy game" vibe. And I admit that in MGS3, I quite liked the Boss. Peace Walker managed to creep even me out. The zooming, the "Date" mission and even the characterization; it even managed to (spoiler alert) turn the Boss from someone loyal to what's essentially a woman continuously abused by someone with power. That's pretty fucked up, Hideo.

LOL
I don't know why, but I was really hoping Yahtzeee would do something on Peace Walker.
Whats funny is that he hasn't got to Celcile the bird Lady, or the date with Paz yet..... or Kaz.... or even those extra briefing tapes, Stranglove 1 through 3, and Paz 5.
He'd have a ball talking about those.

I think Hideo Kojima and Suda 51 should work together on a game.

And that game should be kept somewhere highly secret and safe. Then they should both be assigned to social workers. But for the love god not female ones.

Generic Gamer:

civver:

ProtoChimp:
Here's something weird you guys might not believe: Japan, the same country which damn near idolises rape, has the lowest rape rate in the world last time I checked. Seriously.

Who here's willing to bet a lot is unreported?

Almost certainly, apparently there's an expectation for Japanese women to be submissive and to not make a fuss about it. I looked into it a while ago after spending an afternoon yelling "why don't you just kick his ass!?" at anime. Apparently the sexual culture over there is completely different to in the west.

I think you are misunderstanding things.

1 - The rape rate are low for the same reason that rates of all other crimes are low. The Japanese legal system is very, very harsh. You do something like stealing a candy from a grocery store and you are f* for the rest of your life.

2 - Japan is a 1st world country and the second largest economy on the planet. The countries with the highest rape rates are all underdeveloped.

3 - There's a big difference between being a f* weirdo and f* a criminal. I meam, this obsession rape-lolicon is very "WTF?!" and some men probably think that women should be submissive. But think because of that Japan is Gotham City is kind of too much.

what you said makes sense, but its no better in other games. I mean hell, almost all of Team ninja's work does this. Even in their recent Metroid game, they just blatantly weakened Samus, made her wear her skintight jumpsuit more than she should, upped her cup size and made her have to ask her "daddy" for permission to use any weapons.

Its disturbing.

...SO WHEN ARE YOU REVIEWING STARCRAFT 2?

Mangue Surfer:

1 - The rape rate are low for the same reason that rates of all other crimes are low. The Japanese legal system is very, very harsh. You do something like stealing a candy from a grocery store and you are f* for the rest of your life.

The harshness of the legal system's punishments does not necessarily mean that a high percentage of crimes are discovered and reported. Also, it is possible for cultural incentives to exist that discourage reporting of rape.

This made me laugh and I adore the MGS series.

Kojima is insane but my god do I love his insanity. He is one of the few truly creative minds in the industry at the moment and if he wants to do all sorts of crazy shit involving women then I can roll with it.

Antonio Torrente:

Indignation837:
some words

do you like golden sun?

Yes, probably to an unhealthy degree. Although, it's probably more for the nostalgia at this point, but back when it first came out I definitely had an obsession with it. When I heard the 3rd one was coming out, I jumped for joy.

Back on topic: Incidentally, Golden Sun is one of the only JRPGs that didn't have any kind of forced love story and the female characters were just as integral to the story and capable in battle as the males were.

Wooo! I'm going on a P&O South Pacific cruise in 2 weeks! Gonna be sweeeeet!

Well after his K&L review I can see why they may not be pleased!

Sinclose:
Wasn't really expecting any compliment from a man who so openly despises Kojima's work :P

In all honesty though, the zooming feature was pretty weird. But I'd expect this from any Japanese game that has such a feature, not necessarily Kojima specifically...

unnecessary partial nudity has been in MGS from the first one (the first metal gear solid game, obviously not the first metal gear)
The zooming in thing was weird I guess but pretty normal compared to the other games.

Mangue Surfer:

I think you are misunderstanding things.

2 - Japan is a 1st world country and the second largest economy on the planet. The countries with the highest rape rates are all underdeveloped.

3 - There's a big difference between being a f* weirdo and f* a criminal. I meam, this obsession rape-lolicon is very "WTF?!" and some men probably think that women should be submissive. But think because of that Japan is Gotham City is kind of too much.

No, I'm understanding those things. I didn't imply that it was a hellish lawless state, but that the culture towards resisting and reporting rape was completely different. The reason that rape is so common in third world countries is that rape is used as a weapon by militant factions, to demoralise and destroy civilian resistance.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/4078677.stm

In Japan there is still a huge stigma against the victims of rape and as a consequence it is vastly under reported.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=LmvG9CR8anwC&pg=PA46&lpg=PA46&dq=japan+rape+underreporting&source=bl&ots=hpdoNqlhhN&sig=1x2IiquRcIIAdvHt-YJlnZ-tB8U&hl=en&ei=ehiITJuADseQjAeI3fHmCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CEoQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=japan%20rape%20underreporting&f=false

So no, I'm not implying that Japan needs it's own Batman (hilarious thought that undoubtedly would be) but you do need to look at their statistics and mull it over. If they're really so low, why are they so low?

Never understood some of the gimmicks like those in games, distracting to gameplay and sexist.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here