270: The 12-Year-Old English Kid Who Carried Us to Victory

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Good story. I've had a few kids like that on my team before and a lot of them have ended up on my friends list becuase of their ability, not that I speak to any of them that much, but if I ever need a decent team of people for a game I'm always prepared to send them an invite.

If only this article had less in the way of Lord of the Flies quotes, that book really tried my patience.

I have had experiences like this in online games, some of them by my own doing as the "leader" that stepped up. I've been told I have fine leadership qualities, the bane of these traits being my excessive laziness.

I'm not the greatest at FPS games, least of all Modern Warfare, and I generally am only able to take up such a role when I have a team that's worse than I am. Modern Warfare is too much of a "twitch shooter" for me though, something I'm only occasionally half-decent at. I have much better luck with Bad Company 2 when there are a lot more factors involved on the battlefield such as more wide open areas, destructible surroundings, vehicles, and specific squad mates to work with.

These are truly exhilarating experiences though when they do occur. It's that moment when you realize something special is going on and you'll forever seek out that same standard afterward. They're rare, but they make the whole endeavor worthwhile.

Enjoyed the story. Funny how some themes are universal through literature and life.

and THAT finally proves that 12 year olds aren't annoying small little twats (yahtzee, I'm looking at you) and some are actually better leaders then most adults.

well, i only ever played the game on the PC, where the asshole ratio is considerably lower than on XBL -- but i get what you're trying to say. i generally stick with community servers and we do have a few pre-teens that could give a lot of 'hardened vets' a run for their money. they are few and far between, but they do exist.

also as was mentioned earlier in this thread, people do tend to jump on the bandwagon if someone suddenly takes a leadership role, especially in a losing situation. i know i've found myself in those shoes quite a few times after a few drinks and "goddamnit that's it!" =P

Chuck, this is a great retelling of one of those masterful moments that lives on in memory as legendary! It makes all the craziness worthwhile :)

Nice read, makes me wish I could get back into Online Gaming the way I used to be into it.

A consistent literary reference? An excellent nick name with paralleled comedic references? A story of online redemption and absolution in one the deepest dankest pits in the puss filled gutter that is the internet? This sir, is a great article.
Oh, and P.S. I for one loved your work on Hunter: The Vigil, you cleaned the mess up that was left after Reckoning nicely. So thank you kindly because I now run a Hunter game every week.

Nikolaz72:
Good Story, very inspirational, but. IS everything in it true though? It sounds pretty far out that almost everyone on a team of Modern Warfare would follow a guy nomatter how inspiring he is. Chances are a great part probably has music in their ears or some others reason not to being able to listen on top of not wanting to in the first place?

If it is true though. Good on you, this is probably a once in a lifetime thing.

Ouch I would like to disagree I am not ashamed to admit I am 14 years old I play online games on my PC and do my best to be a team player but I keep getting met with hurtful comments and people making me feel like dirt but you know it has come to a point where I feel I should never use my mic play as someone who can go off and not one person will care we are not all little assholes I know xbox live is a breed for people like that but not everyone is bad some just want to play a bloody game without feeling like there voice is what defines how a man plays. If this is how you feel fine your opinion is yours and I respect that but it is a bad way to think and makes just as bad as other people who thinks every single child is cruel 95% of us are but not all.

I salute them all out there, they get another little nickname from me... "Little John Connors"

I and my friends are a bit older but I have witnessed the leader behaviour from the other side of the mic.

A friend of mine plays ALOT of WoW and he loves PvP. His brain is turned to math and pure cold weighing up the odds.
On his lazier days when he doesn't wanna be too involved he will just sit back and be part of a team but at the first sign of a losing streak I've watched him say "Fuck it" to the screen and pick up his headset... Losing streak over 99% of the time.
He sucks at FPSs and is even worse with a controller in his hand but his guidance on loadouts and map routes has helped me become a better team player.

I wish we could pin stars and medals on these heroes, these Generals of digital warfare that lead so many "grunts like me" to victory.

I salute you!!!

This read like the missing chapter of "Ender's Game."

connall:

Nikolaz72:
Good Story, very inspirational, but. IS everything in it true though? It sounds pretty far out that almost everyone on a team of Modern Warfare would follow a guy nomatter how inspiring he is. Chances are a great part probably has music in their ears or some others reason not to being able to listen on top of not wanting to in the first place?

Ouch I would like to disagree I am not ashamed to admit I am 14 years old I play online games on my PC and do my best to be a team player but I keep getting met with hurtful comments and people making me feel like dirt but you know it has come to a point where I feel I should never use my mic play as someone who can go off and not one person will care we are not all little assholes I know xbox live is a breed for people like that but not everyone is bad some just want to play a bloody game without feeling like there voice is what defines how a man plays. If this is how you feel fine your opinion is yours and I respect that but it is a bad way to think and makes just as bad as other people who thinks every single child is cruel 95% of us are but not all.

Way to put words in peoples mounth dude.

Nikolaz72:

connall:

Nikolaz72:

well you said it yourself

"probably a once in a lifetime thing"

connall:

Nikolaz72:

connall:

Nikolaz72:

Once in a lifetime suggesting people would listen to a smart 12yearold. Not once in a lifetime "There would be" a smart 12yearold. It would require that people didnt listen to music that people would care that people would be teamworkers and that everyone on the match would be all those things. Which is ONCE in a LIFETIME.

Nikolaz72:

connall:

Nikolaz72:

connall:

Nikolaz72:

Once in a lifetime suggesting people would listen to a smart 12yearold. Not once in a lifetime "There would be" a smart 12yearold. It would require that people didnt listen to music that people would care that people would be teamworkers and that everyone on the match would be all those things. Which is ONCE in a LIFETIME.

Oh ok fair enough.

loling at the above conversation ^

I enjoyed the article very much. I felt a sense of the inspiration coming through. I also read the newscientist article that was referenced. Obviously people will be reluctant to follow a "squeaky" voice but it is interesting how prejudices still arent usually overcome even in the face of obvious ability. SO its good to hear about an exception.

i've had such moments. And I have no desire to glorify anything, but I believe I have pulled more than a few Battlefield 2142 matches out of the gutter by taking the Commander seat and making liberal use of the voice com system.

That and I was once complimented in NeoTokyo when someone said "We'll win this if Renkov gets the ghost." (Yeah, Renkov's my neotokyo handle)

The smack-tart demographic is, quite honestly, low in the general population. It's just that they are the most vocal, and thus the most noticable. The majority are the "love wolf" type, going about the motions of the game, with little to no interest in actual team-play.

Sometimes I wonder if I've been this 12-year-old kid that surprises other gamers with good strategies and minimum 'faggot'-calling. Everytime I speak I get 'shut up kid' or 'there's a kid on here' or the like.

/Eighteen year old female who doesn't correct them accordingly.

UmbrellaRedshirt:
A consistent literary reference? An excellent nick name with paralleled comedic references? A story of online redemption and absolution in one the deepest dankest pits in the puss filled gutter that is the internet? This sir, is a great article.
Oh, and P.S. I for one loved your work on Hunter: The Vigil, you cleaned the mess up that was left after Reckoning nicely. So thank you kindly because I now run a Hunter game every week.

Much appreciated. :)

-- Chuck

I once met a kid like this on halo 3, he had a voice that could shatter glass but he was a mean mean mean shot with whatever gunpowder based weapon you put into his hand.

OK..Yay, kid helped win the match. I get it.

How is this the 'good side' of precubescent racist assholes?

This kid wasn't a precubescent racist asshole. He was just precubescent. Your title is an untruth that has nothing to do with the actual content of your article.

Very well written article, though. Beware that goddamn conch.

good stuff, definitly a solid story in which ive had happen quite a few times (me personally being the leader a few and me following a friend a few others) its definilty some of those moments in gaming which you would not give up the world for, as they are that fucking awesome.

Good read, very amusing.

AboveUp:
Oh, and as much as you keep going for Lord of the Flies with this, I keep being reminded of Ender's Game for some reason. It must be the sharp mind being trained through a series of games thing.

Yeah, same for me. Though I've never read LotF, and have the entire Ender/Shadow collection in my room, so maybe I'm biased :)

Great story, the first one I've ever fully read through in the weekly story things (I can't even remember what they're called)

One of the best leaders I ever met online was in a game of War Rock. Some charismatic guy on my team, in the middle of a pitched battle on Emblem (the most iconic and overused map) negotiated a truce with the other side. Everyone on the server stopped fighting, and we took a break from the war to have a motorcycle stunt competition. After some Evil Knievel impersonator jumped a motorcycle on top of the tallest water tower in the map, we agreed that no one could top that... and went right back to fighting.

This one kid is to teens in multiplayer games like a cute nurse and a comfy bed is to the fact that you're in the oncology ward with bowel cancer.

connall:

What in blazes have Mr Comma and Mr Semicolon done to you for you to hate them this much?

This is why people try to be leaders. When you ignore the man (or boy in this case) giving orders you might be throwing a wrench into the gears of victory. Truly if everyone played the game in the manner Pip demonstrated these games would be something more. Something grander.

Archangel357:

connall:

What in blazes have Mr Comma and Mr Semicolon done to you for you to hate them this much?

Sorry, wrote this late at night. Was tired just didn't care.

Funny, I just finished reading "Lord of the Flies" for English class. Makes me feel smart knowing what you're talking about :D

One thing I find difficult about communicating online is that you never truly know if people are following your orders/advice as usually the game is extremely fast paced to really know if anyone is doing anything right at all. I do use the microphone option every now and again, but most of the time I just keep quite and do my thing.

Lord of the Flies is an apt comparison for the first part, but "Ender's Game" fits the leadership part far better. In fact, as I write this there are 134 comments ahead of me and it's hard to believe there aren't 134 "Ender's" references as well.

Anyone can teach/learn the principles of leadership but history shows that certain intangible elements that the best natural leaders possess are probably from birth, i.e. born not made.

So it's not at all surprising to me that some flashes of this like you experienced will crop up. I pray that young man and others, boys and girls both, recognize their abilities from these experiences and pursue developing them later in life.

Great story. I live for those epic moments in gaming, haha.

Scorpio3002:
This reminded me of my strategy for multi-player games. It has nothing to do with winning or losing, but getting enjoyable, well-behaved teammates. In most FPS games, people fall into this culture of insults and trolling, and twelve-year olds are the most susceptible to it.

The solution, I have found, is act as an example; to present yourself as polite, respectful and kind-hearted. In the Halo 3 lobby, I have been known to say in my smooth, public radio voice "Good evening everybody. Before we start, I'd just like to say that it's an honor and a privileged to be playing with you all tonight. Here's to a fun game, and may the best team win" and that sort of thing. The reactions that I have received have, for the most part, been really endearing. Once I remember sneaking into the enemy base, and hearing them talk about "That nice Scorpio guy. I really like him."

You did the same as me, I always enjoyed asking how everybody was and how they were doing. Being consistently nice to people made even the arseholes think twice about being dicks.

I do not enjoy this kind of fantasy.

Digging up an old post I know, but I've only just read it.

Very funny and well written. I liked the Golding references. I do find the title a little offensive though towards us Brits.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here