Escapist News Network: Got to Catch Them All

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

This is without question one of my favorite ENN's *ever*. The monastic, Gregorian-like chant, the knife kill from across the level, the pwned noob that made the game glitch, the silent studies in the evening, the Illuminated MacBook, and to top it all off, "because Macs are shit for gaming". This was made of pure win, awesome episode!!!!

Fantastic pun at the end, but I thought you were joking about the Fallout New Vegas thing... now I know that you are not and I am scared.
And more jokes about Kinect is always great of course... Or is the Kinect a joke... hmmm.

My apologies in advance for trotting out a wet blanket, but:

"Plenty of other companies you could screw out of their profits."

Please do not lend even humorous credence to the myth that game publishers are "losing money" to rentals. Game rental has been part of the market landscape for... well, ever, and to suddenly start pretending it's a huge industry-threatening problem is, putting it kindly, disingenuous. First Sale Doctrine is clear: You get money off the first sale, and that's it. Anything that happens after that is none of your concern. That's how it's always been, so stop acting surprised.

That said, I never buy anything from GameStop because their prices, even for the used stuff, suck.

The main article was the best one i've seen in a long, long time :D .

A bit sad you decided to open the horrible PC vs Mac can , but I guess it's only fair as normally consoles get all the flak.

And I just started reading Anathem...

Not until the second viewing did I pick up on the motions for "knife to the face from halfway across the level." You guys continue to pour on the clever subtlety.

omg that fisto thing is real.... :()

I can't help but think 'biggest and best lit pawn shop' is a reference to something but I don't know what.

Also I too would like to know if the friars joke was an original or not.

Best pwn description ever?
"I pwned a noob. I pwned him so hard i glitched the game.. AND IN THAT GLITCH I SEEN THE HOLY LIGHT! So then i made a religion out of pwning noobs."

ewhac:

Please do not lend even humorous credence to the myth that game publishers are "losing money" to rentals.

I thought the idea was they were taking away sales from other used game/movie/whatever sellers.

That was brilliant, love the chanting.

And if pun writing is lazy, that's the most awesome piece of laziness I've heard in months, Graham :)

Amarsir:
Not until the second viewing did I pick up on the motions for "knife to the face from halfway across the level." You guys continue to pour on the clever subtlety.

Yay! Glad you spotted it.

Father Time:
Also I too would like to know if the friars joke was an original or not.

I can't say for certain that this is the first time anyone's ever said it, but I did make it up at the time. So, thanks!

ewhac:
My apologies in advance for trotting out a wet blanket

Now, I completely agree with you that once the product is on the market, lending/renting/used sales will (and should) happen. I buy many, many things second-hand, games included.
It isn't new, and I don't think it's an industry threatening problem. So we are nearly in total agreement.

However, to say that buying a used game over a new one doesn't affect the publisher is foolhardy.

Essentially, my issue is with companies like GameStop pushing used games over new because it makes them more money. Like when they run the promotions wherein you can buy a game at launch, and return it within that week for a full refund's worth of store credit. That money is their's now. GameStop then sells that game at nearly new price, as used.
They basically sell the same game to two people, brand new, within the launch window.
That's not a problem?

(BTW, I consider GameStop (et al) to be the ones 100% at fault in all of this. EA introduces Project $10 to encourage people to buy new over used, so GameStop raises their prices for new games. Like... fuck you, GameStop. Seriously.)

Unrelated, you must admit that it's weird for places like Best Buy and Wal*Mart to be selling used goods of any kind. Yet, somehow, games are ok. It's really odd.

sorry guys, weaksauce.

Taco of flames:
Best monastic chant ever. "You pwned his nooo-oooo-oo-oob faaaaaaccce."

This. This made my day, if not my week.

Does your horse taste just like raisins? Sweet

Wow. Way to step it back up, guys. That was freakin' hilarious.

(Also, I would also like to issue a formal request for more Dale.)

Remzer:

Taco of flames:

Hell, I'm leaning towards month.

I watched this episode yesterday and I'm STILL chuckling a bit every time I think of "Look at our horse. Our horse is amazing." XD

Loved the chanting, like so many others did. Had a hard time keeping a straight face. X3

Lady Kathleen:
He he. That feature written on a mac, by a dedicated mac user who knows if she wants to play any games, it's not going to be on her computer...

Glad everyone liked it.

Well done. Well done indeed. The monks of St. Pokedexius will be singing of this feature for all eternity.

Now get on my horse, I'll take you 'round the universe, and all the other places too.

I DEMAND an MP3 of that "You pwned his noob face through half of the level" because it was pure awesomeness.

Whole episode was great as always.

Only weird thing is that I think something in the camera was set wrong while recording the "studio" part of the show, because your faces were just glowing yellow.

are.you.the.god.its.me.vader:
...because Macs are shit for gaming.

Made me laugh so hard when I heard that xD

Favorite ENN episode so far!

macs are more than shit for gaming ... bridge the gap on that one.

I'm sure they were busting a gut after they got the singing section finished.

Final note: at least the illuminated work on the back of the mac would cover one of those ever-so-important apples.

JEBWrench:

Remzer:

Taco of flames:

Hell, I'm leaning towards month.

To be honest, I'm just about ready to proclaim 2010 the year of Monk Chants.

Awesome, Gregorian gaming chants rule. Plus, Friars! haha, so corny I laughed.

ewhac:

Please do not lend even humorous credence to the myth that game publishers are "losing money" to rentals. Game rental has been part of the market landscape for... well, ever, and to suddenly start pretending it's a huge industry-threatening problem is, putting it kindly, disingenuous. First Sale Doctrine is clear: You get money off the first sale, and that's it. Anything that happens after that is none of your concern. That's how it's always been, so stop acting surprised.

That said, I never buy anything from GameStop because their prices, even for the used stuff, suck.

Oh please. Just because this is the first time they are complaining and trying to counter used game sales doesn't mean it hasn't been hurting them throughout gaming history. But when you consider how much games for PS3, 360, and high end PCs cost to develop these days and the state of the economy in many place of the world today, it's pretty obvious why publishers choose now to try and combat the used game market with online passes for multiplayer and stuff like EA's Project Ten Dollar (which is NOT the same as the "you can't play MP if you buy used unless you buy a code" thing). No matter the real reason they are losing money and where they are losing it, trying to combat used sales is one way to tighten the belt and of course they're going to try.

Anyway I can only hope that the Virtual Boy comeback kills 3D gaming. So sick of hearing about it, especially from Sony (I think MS is right when they say Sony pushes so hard because Sony also sells 3DTVs). I don't care how awesome it might make playing the game, as long as you want me to wear goggles you can take your 3D and shove it.

And let it be known by the holy order of gaming monks that Macs are shit for gaming.

Really solid sketch, and some impressive harmonizing to boot. Amen.

Fisto o_O
also, is Soloing the equivalent of a 'retreat'?

Macs are shit for gaming. Thou speaketh teh truth !

This was brilliant. I'm particularly fond of the "friars" pun. (And I looked up Fisto out of disbelief. I'm scared now.)

Good heavens. The man himself:

GrahamS:
However, to say that buying a used game over a new one doesn't affect the publisher is foolhardy.

Well, of course it affects them (to unknowable degrees), just as used car sales affects car manufacturers, just as used book stores affect book publishers. My issue is their raising a stink about it in the apocalyptic terms they have.

Essentially, my issue is with companies like GameStop pushing used games over new because it makes them more money.

We are in violent agreement. If you were looking for a poster child on how to construct a used game sale and rental business in the most dickish way possible, you'd be hard pressed to exceed GameStop. I never spend money there.

Unrelated, you must admit that it's weird for places like Best Buy and Wal*Mart to be selling used goods of any kind.

Perhaps not so odd for me. I shop at Fry's. They put non-defective customer returns back on the shelf, marked down slightly.

mjc0961:
But when you consider how much games for PS3, 360, and high end PCs cost to develop these days [ ... ]

Not really relevant. Nintendo carts in the 1980's had a BOM cost of about $15-$20 each -- most of which was Nintendo's "because we can" charge. Sega carts weren't much better. This is what spurred EA to successfully crack Sega's platform locks (thereby forcing a more equitable deal), and eventually drove Trip Hawkins to launch 3DO...

Point being: Citing development costs as justification for squelching the used games market doesn't really fly, as AAA title development has always been costly in one way or another. Yet we didn't hear much noise about sales of used Nintento carts, or used Sega carts, or used Playstation discs...

GrahamS:
Essentially, my issue is with companies like GameStop pushing used games over new because it makes them more money. Like when they run the promotions wherein you can buy a game at launch, and return it within that week for a full refund's worth of store credit. That money is their's now. GameStop then sells that game at nearly new price, as used.
They basically sell the same game to two people, brand new, within the launch window.
That's not a problem?

It's a market abnormality that GameStop is able to build so much profit into used games. Competitors in are exactly the cure. (As for why they invite reselling, games are high-expense, minimally-degrading items with a limited personal lifetime. If movie theaters disappeared and BlueRays were the only way to experience new films, reselling those would vastly outpace used games.)

*logs in* ok, ten minutes before I gotta leave. I can watch this!

*clicks play* -error stream not found-

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Guess I'll watch it later. Maybe it's just my computer.

What the hell was that lady on the bench doing at 4:25 that was so interesting, she wouldn't look at singing monks being filmed by a small film crew?

Actually, how big is your film crew? 3 people? 4?

man i havent laughed so much from your ENN videos for soo long this was the best i have ever seen haha quote our horse is amazing - graham you said it soo epically great

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here