Stolen Pixels #225: Public Service Announcement

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Stolen Pixels #225: Public Service Announcement

We need to discuss a serious issue that could threaten the survival of the games industry.

Read Full Article

What's wrong with using a lot of brown? Real is brown!

Let's not forget gray pixels!

Too much gray!

SAVE THE GRAY PIXELS!

Gray Depletion. Limbo really drained our reserves. It did it in a quality manner, but still. We're low on gray!

Perhaps now is the time to tap our Fuchsia reserves...

"Brown Depletion" That kills me! :D

The mark of a great pundit: being able to decry a phenomenon in an extremely hilarious way.

The Original Fallout! Drink!

Seriously though, I do hope New Vegas fixes the brownness issue, without looking awful which is really a concern for that game.

Queen Michael:
What's wring with using a lot of brown? Real is brown!

No it isn't. The real world has an amazing amount of contrast, even in places that are predominantly one coloured like a savannah there's still a lot of contrast. Actually there's sort of an arms race in cameras at the moment to get higher levels of contrast since the cameras we use doesn't have the ability to capture the contrast of the real world.

And even if it wasn't the issue of contrast but only the issue of everything being brown. How many things that you encounter in your life is brown? I mean some houses are brown, tree trunks are often brown and in the fall when the grass gets all muddy I guess that's brown. Other than that I can't think of anything that you encounter regularly that's brown. The real world isn't brown it's as colourful as a Kirby title (well less pink I guess but other than that).

EDIT: oh, that was a joke? It seems like one now that you linked to tvtropes. It didn't really before so I'm sorry if you were just joking.

lol great strip. very good.

swimon:

Queen Michael:
What's wring with using a lot of brown? Real is brown!

EDIT: oh, that was a joke? It seems like one now that you linked to tvtropes. It didn't really before so I'm sorry if you were just joking.

Yeah, I know I should have included the link to start with.

By the background colors Dr. Breen, it's already too late.
Oooooo, the colors X)

Pffft, you FPS developers and your "Running out of brown".

Have you seen how much white and black are wasted ON THIS COLUMN ALONE?

Pixelists!

Well, the games you're talking about -are- desolate wastelands. The visual style fits the mood and the setting of the game. I think we've just been having too many wastelands lately (with some still to come), and people are starting to get sick of the concept.

To alleviate the pixel problem, maybe developers should create more virtual reality, "Tron" -themed shooters for a while. You can have lots of bright, neat colors there, almost no brown at all and alot of undemanding black.

I've heard this brown criticism a lot, but I think the games mentioned are much more grey than brown. You want a brown game? How about Borderlands. That's brown as crap, no pun intended.
Fallout 3 is grey/green. Gears is also grey.

That's sort of what happens in a post-apocalyptic world though. So maybe the real issue is that people need to stop making every game set in a post-apocalyptic world.

Brilliant, in a muted, earth-tone way.

Brown... Brown never changes...

I am for More Color Contrast and less Brown Usage! you have my support Breen!

Awesome point there Shamus. I am a colourfull person myself and would like to see all those Brown games being thrown into a bucket of rainbows!

I can hear some of the devs now: "What do you mean colors? Gray and brown are colors!"

You know, somewhat like this:

Daemascus:

Hey man, I have it on very good authority that brown has changed.

mjc0961:
Hey man, I have it on very good authority that brown has changed.

I have this back-and-forward with one of my flatmates whenever either game comes up in conversation.

Brown and gray worlds? Fine, as long as it's used properly and the world is worth exploring, then the world color doesn't matter.

Enemies that blend into the gray and brown world? No excuses.

hansari:
Perhaps now is the time to tap our Fuchsia reserves...

Ooh. Then Bayonetta can have purple boobs!

No seriously, Bayonetta was far from brown, I just wanted to say that ^_^

I agree with the brown, there's more ways to make a world look post apocalyptic than making things look like they've been shit over.

I blame hippies. their rebelious free spirit atitude will games like mirrros edge, sonic colors, and jet set radio to be put in higher production
the horror THE HORROR

I have heard that green and blue reserves are currently abundant, and the purple storages are simply overflowing! That means we should get more Earth-class forest/jungle and way more alien worlds if we want the game industry to survive this shortage of brown!

Queen Michael:
What's wrong with using a lot of brown? Real is brown!

You utter prick. There goes my afternoon XD

I admit I don't like it when there's too much brown/grey so it all goes muted, but after playing some of the more colourful tracks on WipEout HD, I do prefer the crisp white tracks with details on them. It's a fine line the developers need to make.

The last frame looks like the mission briefing screen from Syndicate Wars ^^)

Now the name "Stolen Pixels" becomes truly appropriate :D

Lies! There is no such thing as "Brown deplation"! Its just like the global warming all lies!
[Sarcasm off]

Great comic as always and i think they have to stop with all "brown is real" thing.

It only makes sence for a realistic game to loose color IF the weather in the game is cloudy or raining, because usually in sunny days you can see more color but in cloudy days, when the sun isnt reflecting direticly in the surfaces it does affect the color. At least that is what I presume, rainy days are usually gray.

Daemascus:

Is winner of this thread. Even if I wanted to say that.

Brown is the color of coffee, and must be purged with all the other heretics.

That last panel looked like that drug trip I saw in that movie when I was on that drug trip.

PurePareidolia:
The Original Fallout! Drink!

haha as soon as i read that i thought "drink!", then was gonna comment it :P buttt looks like not as original idea as i thought. lol

My favourite part is how the strip slowly got more and more surreal until we're left with glowing purple Breen... a face that seems to have been dragged from the depths of our darkest nightmares. Seriously, there is something wrong with acid-trip Breen.

Kollega:
I have heard that green and blue reserves are currently abundant, and the purple storages are simply overflowing! That means we should get more Earth-class forest/jungle and way more alien worlds if we want the game industry to survive this shortage of brown!

Forge world in \reach used it all up.
I am sorry.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook