Stolen Pixels #225: Public Service Announcement

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

After my encounter with Prince of Persia I will call it my most favourite artistic style. So vibrant and mature yet having some kind of fantasy/childish aspect to it.

But I like brown.
Not just brown games but brown ice cream, Brown's Brwery , Encyclopedia Brown, and Brown noise.

Am I the only one who actually likes brown games? Brown games (Gears Of War, Fallout 1,2,3 (2D Fallouts were brown too!)) are much better looking than gray (Quake 1/2, Half-Life) games and magnitudes better than coloured nonsense (Uncharted 2 (oh god, it hurts my eyes!), Ratchet and Clank etc)!

Let it be more brown games! Personally I'd restrict game developers to use only murky colours and corresponding lighting! Oh, and obligatory pixel shading to wash out everything into single bland scene.

And I'm dead serious here - this stuff is really awesome! There are more to it than designers' tastes, of course - Gears Of War-like shading allows to hide lighting imperfections and use fewer textures (and not that high-res at that).
The second reason is that brown games aren't just brown - they are brown and dark and washed out because of their setting - such colour palette is perfect for post-nuclear or just plain dark/noir shooters (It's hard to argue that such games became very popular this generation).

I like post-nuclear setting, I like washed out palette and dim lighting, and I'm just happy that many games are like that these days. They won't be like that forever - remember Quake 1/2 age, when every shooter (and even some RPGs like Anachronox) had been trying to look like id's gray-green blockbusters. Have you seen something green and gray lately?

I'm waiting for the Mario games to start using the brown texturing.

That's the first time I've lol'd in ages.

Yes, too much brown. I'm looking at you upcoming Rage. Why can't you be more like Enslaved?

PurePareidolia:
The Original Fallout! Drink!

Seriously though, I do hope New Vegas fixes the brownness issue, without looking awful which is really a concern for that game.

Being a desert, there will likely be a lot of brown, but I have a feeling it will be more of the varied brown, look a bit more like an old Western in places. Though Vegas itself I should hope would be rather colourful. Either way, if there is another issue with the terrain, I imagine the mod community will step up to the plate once again.

The Fellout mod fixeds the brown in fallout:
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2672

And I can't but leave this, yet another reason PC games are superior.

Tiamat666:
Well, the games you're talking about -are- desolate wastelands. The visual style fits the mood and the setting of the game. I think we've just been having too many wastelands lately (with some still to come), and people are starting to get sick of the concept.

To alleviate the pixel problem, maybe developers should create more virtual reality, "Tron" -themed shooters for a while. You can have lots of bright, neat colors there, almost no brown at all and alot of undemanding black.

I don't think that's even really true. Have you looked around and seen all the different colors that rocks and dirt can come in? There are quite a few. I've seen some pretty amazing views with not much life in them.

It's like they're sacrificing realism to make their games uglier.

It seems that hardly a single game in the industry looks realistic. Everyone is either brown-grey (the "hardcore" games) or way too colourful (Nintendo games).

ZephrC:

I don't think that's even really true. Have you looked around and seen all the different colors that rocks and dirt can come in? There are quite a few. I've seen some pretty amazing views with not much life in them.

Yeah, but thus is the fate of fiction. Reality is always "sacrificed" in fiction to make it more interesting. Be it storywise or presentation-wise. Maybe the brown/yellowish landscapes of Fallout 3 aren't realistic, but it serves the purpose of providing a desolate, desperate atmosphere.

Tiamat666:

ZephrC:

Yeah, but thus is the fate of fiction. Reality is always "sacrificed" in fiction to make it more interesting. Be it storywise or presentation-wise. Maybe the brown/yellowish landscapes of Fallout 3 aren't realistic, but it serves the purpose of providing a desolate, desperate atmosphere.

True, realism is vastly overrated. These overly brown games are still ugly though.

Also, it wouldn't be so bad if it were just one or two games, but it's the big fad in the game industry right now, which is extremely irritating.

Nope!NEEDS MOAR BROWN

We must replenish our brown supply!
EVERYONE ORDER MEXICAN FOOD TO NITE!

Save the brown! Won't someone Pleeeeeeeease save the brown?

i have an idea a game called SUPER TECHNO TIME: THE MELTING EYEBALL CRONICALS
EDIT: What do you think? will it sell?

It is a terrible crime to spend so much on your graphics engine and then put so little care into what you build with it.

To this day I still make fun of Everquest 2 for doing this.

If people build an expensive, fancy rendering engine and skimp on the art direction, people will remember them for their mistakes and not for their game =p

agreed and I have agreed for the past few years. While brown and gray are some of the most used colors they are however necessary. but damn Fallout III for being so damn like the rust on my bike. there needs to be more color! I think Fable was a good example, if only for that.

Ingenious idea for the comic with the, what is that, incrementally increasing contrast?

gray/brown depletion is a SeriouS Problem!
Just think
when the last deposit of gray/brown dries up
uncreative developers will have to use the emergency stores of black
to color their fps's and tps's
and we wont be able to see ANYTHING!!!?!

on the other hand we might get some sweet sincity style games like the saboteur 0.o

The problem is worse than we feared! The brown shortage has gone beyond video games and into... overused Internet memes!

This is bullshit. How can you complain that camouflage plays too much a part in shooters? Go to a gallery shooter if you want bull's eyes on all of the enemies.

Maybe you have fantasies of shooting DOT workers.

You may hate on brown, but I ask you this: Would Fallout New Vegas look better using only primary colours?

I think regardless of the "Vibrancy" of brown it's just used too much period. We need a return to bright and colorful games like Jet Set Radio and Nights into dreams. I dont understand why a game has to be "gritty" now for people to enjoy it.

it's crime making all those moderately good games and none excellent.

this comic almost looks like the setting was taken from a Halo game.

This reminds me of the day I discovered the contrast option is most games. Turning it to max often leads to flashbacks of Robot Unicorn Attack and that one scene from Tenacious D. "Juicy"

For all it's flaws, Crysis was an absolute gem. Beautifully presented, colourful world, and even if you somehow got bored of the lush greenery and crystal waters, 3/4 of the way through the whole game-world changes into a whole new scene. Good on Crysis. Showing us how it should be.

AvsJoe:
You may hate on brown, but I ask you this: Would Fallout New Vegas look better using only primary colours?

I dont want to see the vibrant pinks, blues and greens of Vegas's strip replaced with neon brown.

If anything blame GTA4 for all that grey... Seriously what was going through their heads when they thought colour was a bad aesthetic for causing mayhem in a sandbox environment?

And FYI Epic has already been cleaning up its act by adding colour to Gears of War 3.

Am I the only one on earth who likes brown? Sure its not right for every occasion, but many of them look fine. No its not realistic, or pretty, but when the world has gone through some horrible nuclear war, it seems appropriate. Its not hell, more like purgatory.

As for Borderlands style, you can keep your oversized heads and thick black borders.

I think this is a result of the Great Neon Wasteage that occured in the eighties and early nineties. Now that our neon colour reserves are back to a sustainable level, we are starting to rely too heavily on our earthy tones.
Sustainability is the catch-phrase here, we need to respect our colour palette and conserve useage for future generations. Otherwise, your great-great-grandchildren will be forced to play video games in ONLY neon or ONLY earth tones. Use your palette responisbly and think of the children.

:)

The_root_of_all_evil:
Pffft, you FPS developers and your "Running out of brown".

Have you seen how much white and black are wasted ON THIS COLUMN ALONE?

Pixelists!

Aye, 'tis a damned shame. That's why I'm doing my part and using purple.

Don't use all the purple, guys.

008Zulu:

AvsJoe:

I don't want to see the vibrant pinks, blues and greens of Vegas' strip replaced with neon brown.

...touche. Bad example.

Diablosinmusica:
This is bullshit. How can you complain that camouflage plays too much a part in shooters? Go to a gallery shooter if you want bull's eyes on all of the enemies.

Maybe you have fantasies of shooting DOT workers.

It is fine if the game focus on military realism, not so much if not.

rembrandtqeinstein:
The Fellout mod fixeds the brown in fallout:
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2672

And I can't but leave this, yet another reason PC games are superior.

A fine example of how just lighting tweaking can make a brown world look vibrant.

It felt as if I was taking drugs through the comicn ear the end lol

*immature snicker*

Brown is the color of poo!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook