Escape to the Movies: Resident Evil: Afterlife

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

RESIDENT EVIL: CHECK OUT MY RIDICULOUSLY HOT WIFE does actually sound pretty fitting.

If the character reveal is Leon, I might care. Resident Evil 4 is the only RE I've played, and while it's not THE best Survival Horror game ever, it's one of the best so far. I'm stuck right now, but I'll figure it out.

I might see this when it comes to my cheap theater (I have 2 theaters: 1 big nice expensive one and 1 not as good but only costs about $2 one that shows films after they've been in the big nice one for a while.) I might see it with my friends just so we can make fun of it if it sucks... too bad they don't know RE to well.

could not disagree more with the review.
RE movies are good.
There isn't much to do with the games, but i don't care!

I really liked these films, shame nobdy else does.

At least the Resident Evil movie series hasn't been as bad as Resident-Evil-On-Mars, sorry, the 'DooM' movie. That movie sucked harder than any creative metaphor i can think of.

Aiddon:

polygon:

Aiddon:
A for Bob's little mention of Other M I have to agree to some extent. Fusion and Prime 1 are still my personal favorites, but Other M is still great. Plus it's nice that they didn't reduce Samus to another boring "Man-Hating Ice Queen Who'd Never EVER Accept Instruction From ANY Man" as stated by Bob himself

Yeah, it's just a shame that they reduced her to another boring anime emotional monologuing stereotype who obsesses over a man the entire game instead.

Congratulations, you're about the 500th person I've heard that from. And it's just as strawmanish as it was when I first heard it.

That's not a straw man argument

"A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.[1] To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by substituting a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position" from Wikipedia

For example: what you're using is a straw man argument, when Bob claims that his opponents are using straw men arguments, he is in fact using straw man arguments to make a straw man argument.

You've learned well from Bob, but now you must unlearn what you have learned.

Have a nice day.

Also on the subject of the Other M, clearly there cannot be any middle ground ever. She must either be an emotionally dependent wreck or an ice queen who excepts no help from any man ever. God forbid, she behave like a professional soldier. But really, what else can I expect from Japan but an emotionally dependent wreck who pretends to be an ice queen who won't except any help from any man because she's insecure but secretly wants to be commanded LIKE ALL WOMEN DO!

Hubilub:
"the shitty premise to the throwing-things-in-your-face 3D that I hate.

Seriously, isn't this idea a little f'ed out? I'm no big fan of 3D, but does every movie have to pretend to throw stuff at the audience as if it were an original idea? I wish people would just forget about 3D because it does not make a shitty movie any better.

Gizen:

Fail. Fail to understand the meaning of the word co-dependent. Fail to understand the relationship between Samus and Adam (hint: unless you live in a area where dating your step-father is common, there's no reason to think he's her boyfriend). Fail at understanding how the military works. Fail to be good at video games. You just plain fail.

You failed to get, what Metroid is all about! It was never about Samus' emo trip, not about her screaming and literally transforming into a little girl, while seeing an enemy she killed several times before. Not about talking about the baby constantly, not about having characters you will never care about, not about having a ridiculosly easy linear gameplay.
If you think that the essence of the game is in a shitty remake and in an even shittier GBA sequel, than you are a MORON.
In a Metroid game there is exploration, gameplay altering elements, isolation, badass Bossfights that are hard and provide you a sence of achievement when you win them, all that done by a badass silent bounty hunter who is the federations last hope, and who doesn't fucking care what the orders are! This was the essence of the game series. I you wnat to go in a completely different direction against all the series stands for, than have at least the decency to make a new franchise. As I said in an earlier post: Moviebbob can like the game and play it as much as he wants. But saying the game is objectively better than the game that perfectly captured the essence of the series, makes him look like an idiot. The worst characterization doesn't nessesarily mean it is a bad charcterization by itself, but if you consider, that it goes against every single Metroid game, then it is the worst characterization ever.
From my perspective Metroid Fusion, Zero Mission and Other M never existed, and I will gladly ignore them in every form they will ever appear! Nintendo will have to pull off at least a Super Metroid or a second Metroid Prime next time to win me back.

As for Resident Evil:
I don't care how hot Milla Jovovich is, but she doesn't make a shitty movie better.

For everyone who wants to save his money and is only interested in the character reveal:

I just saved you $13

This film needed more Wesker.

I wanted to see more Wesker kicking ass. Sadly, there was only about 15 minutes of wesker in the entire movie.

I'm pleasantly surprised that the series is getting better over time. Maybe I'll watch them now.

Afterlife should at least win an award for the first film shot entirely in slow motion.
Seriously, theres very little film thats at normal pace. Why does a character walking down a hallway deserve to be in slow motion?!
Film would be about a minute long without all the slow-mo

This 3D fad better piss off soon too or Im gonna get my mate Ben who shat himself then rang in to work to say he shat himself, to shit on Milla Jovavich

I was really expecting Bob to be as ticked off about Samus's drastically altered characterization as the rest of the internet seems to be. It's a straight shot, really. Samus, having recently been the stoic tough-girl of the Smash Brothers sect and a lone adventurer that has saved the universe several times by this point, is drastically recharacterized to be massively dependent on the orders of a newly-introduced superior officer, into a character who starts shaking and freezing up in fear of an enemy that she had already defeated several times at this point, and who monologues endlessly, to the point that the series could have been a film noir and had less monologues overall.

Then again, maybe Bob's just not that far into the game, and the weight of all this hasn't bludgeoned him into depression yet.

I don't really care what MovieBob says, I'm going to carry an irrational grudge against this movie because my local theater canceled all screenings of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World so they could put in a 3-D camera to screen this instead.

Spoilers the "big" character reveil is

t_rexaur:
So the real question: Does Wesker utter the immortal line "Complete Global Saturation"?

Sadly not. A man can dream though, a man can dream...

I actually love each and every one of these movies. I was SUPPOSED to see afterlife today but it looks like my friend bailed on me.

I haven't actually played Other M yet, though I've been meaning to.

I don't see what was wrong with the FPS Prime series though. It was great. Also the Space Pirates were actually entertaining characters, instead of faceless mooks.

MailOrderClone:
Samus, having recently been the stoic tough-girl of the Smash Brothers sect and a lone adventurer that has saved the universe several times by this point, is drastically recharacterized to be massively dependent on the orders of a newly-introduced superior officer, into a character who starts shaking and freezing up in fear of an enemy that she had already defeated several times at this point, and who monologues endlessly, to the point that the series could have been a film noir and had less monologues overall.

Alright, I'm not necessarily looking to get way deep into this here, but FWIW...

Samus was not "stoic" in the previous Metroid games - she was ROBOTIC. There's a difference.

Stoicism is only a virtue - or a character-trait - when you can tell either by actions or by scenario that it's a conscious decision made by someone. A fully-developed human being who is demonstrably suppressing emotional reaction is stoic, but a statue is not because statues are ALWAYS like that. And, like most other video game characters originating in the 8-bit era, Samus IS essentially a statue - an empty vessel for the player to inhabit. (Hell, by this logic the most unflappably-stoic hard-ass in game history is PAC MAN - I've never even seen that dude BLINK!) And thanks to the depersonalizing effect of her species/gender-neutral armor, she's probably been the LEAST well-characterized of all the Nintendo franchise leads.

BUT, because of the magnitude of her sole genuinely unique trait - re: she's a woman but it's "not a big deal" (aka "not sexualized") - I think gamers, myself included, have been guilty of projecting things onto her that just aren't really there. She's as empty and "shallow" as every other monodimensional power-armored game hero, but because her gender is noteworthy everything else MUST be noteworthy, too. So "doesn't react visibly because they haven't bothered to give her a personality" got built up into "stoic badass" because it fit the narrative of her as the First Lady of Liberated Game Heroines.

So, naturally, when they go and give her even the most basic and narratively-appropriate set of ACTUAL character traits - Survivors Guilt, PTSD about Ridley, a borderline Electra Complex toward Adam, an inner-monologue, etc. - people freaked the hell out; because if you're going to conflate "no personality" with "stoicism" that pretty much means "personality" equals "weakness." That said, YES, the authorization thing is a clumsy device to try and shake-up the usual "wow, I found all these power-ups that coincidentally work with my equipment" routine; but beyond clumsy execution I don't read anything else into it.

I will say, also, that it's been EXTREMELY depressing to see so many people (not a majority, but enough to take note of) using the - IMO - overblown "outrage" as yet another opportunity for Western gamers to take broad cultural cheap-shots at the Japanese developers; i.e. reiterating all this vaugely-bigoted "recieved wisdom" about Japanese "misogyny," and "needing all women to be submissive children," etc. There's a real ugliness to some of the reactions to this game around the web that are just... well, ugly is really the best word for it.

Whats funny about Metroid, other M is that is manages to make Deus Ex's voice acting sound good, thats quite a feat.

baseracer:
This film needed more Wesker.

I wanted to see more Wesker kicking ass. Sadly, there was only about 15 minutes of wesker in the entire movie.

Yeah, this would have been far more enjoyable if this had been the case.

I hope he's not dead.

The further I get through life, the more I realise it's a good thing to have low standards.

personally i thought that the evil in resident evil(the movies) was the fact that they tricked me into paying $10 for a crappy when i could have waited for the bootleg

LawlessSquirrel:
Huh...guess I'm the only one that enjoyed #1 more than #2.

Nope, same here. At least the first one had atmosphere. The second was just bland, bland shooting scenes.

As for 3D: I'm with the angry crowd. It's such a waste of effort and money in my view. I wish they'd give the option for a '2D' showing in cinemas too. I think people could vote with their feet then and they'd find out really how well liked it is!

What the good hell do you mean Ultraviolet sucked? Hi science fiction, spectacular fights and stunts, turns a twist on a vampire tale. What the hell is wrong? Oh Equilibrium was so great, yeah its good, but UV blows it out of the water.

Yah, I can't be bothered to see this movie or it's other ilk RE Beyond Thunderdome. Just not going to pay money for this kind of crap. Jovavich is a decent actress when she wants to be, but her action scenes looked faked, her dialogue is forced, and they try to maker her too 'badass' and to me it doesn't work.

That one part in the third film when the crows were attacking and Milla's character points the flame thrower up and torches them with her psychic powers made me yell AW BULLSHIT! I'll most likely wait for the dvd release.

Gotta' say Bob sometimes you slate movies i love, but you're totally right about the 3D thing. Everyone i know pretty much hates it and can't even give me a good enough reason. Simply put it works, just in most films they are using it for the incorrect purpose, and yes, in this movie it very much does work.

I saw this with 6 of my friends in IMAX 3D, and we had a blast. Sure the plot is a bit very flimsy and it's chock full of references instead of characters... but the action just works and the pace never lets up once it gets going. (Which admittedly takes awhile.)

And it made a killing at the box office, so I don't blame them for making another one. $70 mil in 3 days, holy hell.

Aiddon:

Crono Maniac:
Woo! Somebody on the internet actually liked Other M! THANK YOU BOB!

It seems like everyone's focusing on the bad voice acting for Samus (cause no good game in history has ever had bad voice acting) and making cries of sexism. Cause showing respect to your military commander and the closest thing you have to a father is a complete disgrace to women everywhere. And he wasn't saying it was better than Prime 1. Prime 1 may not have had the amazing camera and combat that Other M has, but it was certainly less linear and more atmospheric. And, while the rest of the Primes were also less linear, I'd still take Other M over every Prime but the first one.

I wonder if Yahtzee will actually mention the gameplay, unlike everyone else on the internet.

Oh trust me, plenty of people are bitching about the gameplay, though mostly for shallow reasons.

Oh yes, and let's not forget that Samus apparently isn't allowed to have emotions. Like no woman has ever had those

Oh yeah, I forgot about the complaints of overly-linear gameplay. Because no linear game in history (and it isn't even all that linear) has ever, ever been good. Remember Half-Life, Bioshock, God of War, Portal, nearly every Mega Man game, Castlevania, Star Fox 64, and Mario 3? God I hated those games. Pieces of crap, each and every one of them.

And emotions! God! Everyone knows that real strong women never, ever emote or obey any man, parental figure or not. And being shocked at seeing a giant dragon that ate her parents in front of her when she was four (at least according to the manga)? Totally butchered her character. I mean, silent protagonist Samus was a very well developed character, and it was physically painful to watch her hours of characterization be destroyed!

And the voice acting! Ugh! Wait, the voice acting really did suck... Crap.

Crono Maniac:

Oh yeah, I forgot about the complaints of overly-linear gameplay. Because no linear game in history (and it isn't even all that linear) has ever, ever been good. Remember Half-Life, Bioshock, God of War, Portal, nearly every Mega Man game, Castlevania, Star Fox 64, and Mario 3? God I hated those games. Pieces of crap, each and every one of them.

And emotions! God! Everyone knows that real strong women never, ever emote or obey any man, parental figure or not. And being shocked at seeing a giant dragon that ate her parents in front of her when she was four (at least according to the manga)? Totally butchered her character. I mean, silent protagonist Samus was a very well developed character, and it was physically painful to watch her hours of characterization be destroyed!

And the voice acting! Ugh! Wait, the voice acting really did suck... Crap.

Well the linearity thing is a bit against the Metroid formula, but it's not Hamster Tube Simulator XIII levels of linear so they're fine.

I also looked at the script of Fusion recently and even that hardly had Samus speaking. Most of the dialogue was just Adam giving her orders.

I do agree that UltraViolet was bad, it just felt rushed and the action wasn't that amazing to me. It was a mess of a movie. Sorry, 3D sucks! I hate having to wear goofy glass over top of my eye glasses personally. Also half of the damn movie to me was in slow motion!! That is not interesting!!

I also disagree that Metroid Other M is better then Metroid Prime series. Other M is like.. a reskinned Ninja Blade.

Interesting, I thought the second one was way better then the first and third movies. In fact I thought that the third movie was boring and didn't really need to happen.

Differences in opinion.

I love Wesker, he's like Neo but evil, so I'm going to see this anyway.

First time watching Escape to the movie, was pretty good and this guy knows what he is talking about.

The movie series so far in terms of likeness has been a bell shape if you want to put it on a graph..

You know, i thought, in coming here, I would find a group of people outraged at having seen one of the worst movies to hit theaters in a long time. Instead, I've found a number of people who just refuse to see it (a smart choice) or people saying it was anywhere from decent to great! Im sorry, did I watch it wrong or something, because all i can remember is feeling as though Hoolywood now believed american audiences to be so stupid that they didn't deserved good, well thought out Cinema...or even something with just a little more intelligence than a potato.

I know people will say that you just have to turn off your brain and enjoy the action, and i tried. But it was so...so....stupid that im pretty sure I would have to enter some sort of negative state of thinking in order to avoid questioning shitty plot/characters/writing. I usually really appreciate Bob's reviews, and would have to say I agree with him 90% of the time, but i cannot support his verdict in the slightest.

Also, just to avoid this, I don't care one bit that the movies don't follow the games; hell, I'm glad they don't!

I'll join in and say that this movie was easily better than some of it's predecessors, but if I'm going to be honest that's kinda like saying that getting kicked in the head is better than getting kicked in the testicles.

First off, the opening 15 minutes is stupid as hell. It's completely impossible to take any of it seriously and it's not even fun, it's just painful to watch. The action isn't just over the top it's cartoonish. And you had damn well better hope you remember the previous movie or the army of Jovoviches comes off as a big blue light special of extra strength stupid.

Easily my favorite part of the opening sequence is right after Wesker reveals that the T-virus turns your blood into a bowl of Mr. T cereal and then suddenly remembers he's supposed to have been flying the plane.

"Hmmm maybe I should stop monologuing and get back to flying the plane before we crash into a mountain...whoops too late."

After that series of Wile E. Coyote style action shots the movie does get better, after a poorly explained but alltogether welcome bit of backtracking they make sure that Alice isn't the queen goddess of all creation anymore and she's just a regular old bad-ass chick with a lot of guns.

Unfortunately now that all the flashing lights and electronic bass beats have stopped you're able to focus on the laundry list of plot holes that the movie presents.

What ultimate goal is to be served by destroying all of civilization and turning them into mutant zombies?
Does Umbrella even have a plan or are they just a generically evil organization like COBRA from the GI Joe cartoons?

Why didn't Chris have a military ID or some sort of documentation he could show in order to prove his story?

Where did this second strain of zombies come from?

What's up with the Axe man, where did he come from, why does he look like a DIY Cenobite?

Why was there a boat in the sewers?

There's this little trick that the big boy storytellers like to do called "foreshadowing" this is when you mention something, or drop hints into the story about plot points or characters which may become important later."
This helps to avoids confusion when you eventually introduce that plot element into your story. As I mentioned earlier, the movie doesn't do a very good job of explaining plot points from the earlier movies and as a result you're just left in the dust if you don't remember.

Who is K-Mart? Why is she named after a department store? I know she was in the last movie but clearly she didn't leave an impression, so why should I care?

This is doubly problematic during the big surprise character reveal.
It's been almost 7 years since the last time the audience saw that character, don't just dump them into the movie looking nothing like we remember and expect people to get it. I'm not saying the plot had to revolve around it but throw us a bone here. We just spent the last 80 minutes or so watching Alice and her pals escape from a prison, our minds were not focused on the plots and characters from the earlier installments of the series.

Lastly.
There is WAY too much of the slow-motion-fade-into-action trick in this movie.
I think I can say, without threat of hyperbole that the movie would have been a good 10 minutes shorter without all the pointless slow motion shots.

I think in the end it all boils down to this.
If all you want is to see some folks punch, kick and shoot zombies for a few hours then you may enjoy it.
But if you want anything else, you might want to just go watch Dawn of the dead again.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 64770)