Escape to the Movies: Resident Evil: Afterlife

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

The Ambrosian:
It annoys me because if they have nothing to do with RE just don't call it RE...

Agreed... although, this one having Chris in it is interesting. And unless the character reveal at the end is Leon S. Kennedy and the next film is about Leon S. Kennedy then I dont care. Or Hunk, I guess... Hunks pretty cool.

Or Tofu.

EDIT Also, they have done the stupid thing of making the series of films about the lass instead of making them about the evil! Its called Resident Evil not Resident Kinda Hot Chick... I would be surprised to see Zombies in the Hot Chick one.

Why are people so offended by Bob telling them to get off their high horses on 3D.

You should get off your high horses.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but just don't watch it in 3D, there is this thing called 2D? Maybe I'm misinformed and you have to watch in 3D for some reason wherever you are, but it's just a small gimmick, it's not going to affect anything in the long run, get over it.

I will watch all these movies, no matter how bad they are. I love them all. The third one was my least favorite, as it turned into one of those movies where the director said, "Okay, time to kill off everyone all at once." Too many people died in that movie too close together, if not at the same time. Would have been nice if someone besides...well, the survivors (for spoiler's sake) made it.
I am curious to see who the character is at the end though. Come on Leon...oh! Or Ada. Ada would be good too.

Meh, her lack of breasts are really a turn off for me.

I think they probably would have gotten Val Kilmer save for the fact that he weighs like 220 lbs now.

3D can make a movie better... thats an interesting point of view there Bob.
I make a point of seeing these movies in DVD form rather than going too the cinema too see them because I like to keep a bit of cash in my pocket.

nope, i saw toy story 3 in 3D, and it did nothing for the movie, they can keep 3D

Now that's the Moviebob I remember and love (a little)

Good to finally have you back.

I saw it with friends.
I enjoyed the fuck out of it.
It was absolutely terrible.
It was one of the best movie experiences I've ever had.

This film is just so competent at being incompetent it's fucking awfully brilliant. Wesker is just so hilariously evil ,there is no motive to what is basically a wonderfully stupid idea (Umbrella want to take over the zombie infested world! Why? ...... i dunno we're just evil Ok...) and the overall "feel" of the movie is exciting enough to actually be fun. Not a masterpiece, will age faster than your fruit and is therefore entirely worth seeing in 3D now while you can because this will not happen again.

I've been a pretty big fan ever since the first one, and over the years my fanboy-ism has only grown more grave as I've picked up a penchant for zombie flicks in general.

I was going to see this movie if every single review out there rated it ****. But I'm glad it sounds like it's decent. Kind of a let-down about the Alice clones, though it is rational that they not all be super human.

hmm, i thought the series was getting worse not better. Sure the first one was cheesy but i like a bit of cheese.

In my opinion the first RE movie was the best (if such a word can even be applied to this series) and from then on, it was downhill all the way. By this ofcourse I mean the first movie was just tolerable, then RE2 was baaaad, and then RE3 was pathetic and so on...

I'm ofcourse assuming that MovieBob prefers the others to the first RE because the producers hot wife was not 'sexed up' as much as moviebob would have wanted in the first.

lol, I'm beginning to think if expendables had a babe running around in a bikini, and Megan Fox stripped in Transformers 2, Moviebob wud've liked them as well.

Sicamat:

droppingpenny:
It was a very good review... until you mentioned that the atrocious Metroid Other M is better than Metroid Prime.

Don't bother, MovieBob doesn't know much about video games.

Or women for that matter.

LOL. I wish he'd get over the whole hot chick + gun = good movie thing he's got goin on. And stop giving awful movies 'a pass' because the leading ladies make him stiff... Doomsday? Res AL 3D? Pirhana 3D? Salt? For god's sake stop it already. We have the internet for that kinda thing these days!

Maybe if the guy hung out with some 3D women in real life now and then he might stop praising movies just for featuring them?

I feel very similar to Bob here, they keep getting better, but not too much better. Still I enjoyed the first 3 for what they were, so I think I'll go see this too. :D

On the people that are pissed at only 3-D viewing. I can understand for the ones that can't see 3-D. With my glasses and the 3-D glasses on, it works. For others... not so much so I agree but, with exceptions.

diddykonger:
$50 that the character reveal is Leon

Nah, they're totally bringing back a character instead. my money's on Jill Valentine just showing up

Kinguendo:

The Ambrosian:
It annoys me because if they have nothing to do with RE just don't call it RE...

Agreed... although, this one having Chris in it is interesting. And unless the character reveal at the end is Leon S. Kennedy and the next film is about Leon S. Kennedy then I dont care. Or Hunk, I guess... Hunks pretty cool.

Or Tofu.

EDIT Also, they have done the stupid thing of making the series of films about the lass instead of making them about the evil! Its called Resident Evil not Resident Kinda Hot Chick... I would be surprised to see Zombies in the Hot Chick one.

Having Chris in it isn't that surprising, they've already got Claire, so Chris couldn't have been far behind

5 pages and it hasn't degenerated into an argument over the merits of Other M yet? I'm both surprised and impressed. Everywhere else you go on the internet it seems to devolve into fighting at even the slightest mention (for the record, I agree with MovieBob, I enjoy the game and want more of it).

Regarding the movie, I've only ever seen the first RE movie, and I saw it prior to ever actually playing any of the games, but I actually kind of enjoyed it. Though the second and third never grabbed my attention enough to make me want to watch and looked kind of silly, though if they do get better, maybe I'll check them all out. Also, for some inexplicable reason I have a fondness for Wesker despite the fact that the character's never actually done anything that would make me like him, so I may watch it just for that.

Belladonnah:

The Ambrosian:

Why does it matter? If they had named it something else people would just call it a RE knockoff because of the similar characters, the similar corporation ruling the world (even if they called it something else) and the similar characters and monsters..

Personally I like both the Resident Evil movies and games, and while they have little to do with each other besides the basic story, I think they compliment each other well.

Personally, I feel like they could have embraced this. In their original promotional material, and commentary, they could have been like, "and video games such as the Resident Evil series have been a huge source of inspiration, having Capcoms blessing." Then those that have become a fan of the series know the source material, understand why they shouldn't/couldn't/wouldn't want to call it a Resident Evil movie. It'd be a well known secret or something. Kind of like how the original Silent Hill games were drawn off of the movie Jacobs Ladder. It's a well known secret, it's accepted, and embraced.

Instead, what we have, is something completely foreign to the source material, and calling it Resident Evil. Alice had psychic power in RE3 (movie). Since when did anything any RE game did have psychic power? Never!

diddykonger:
$50 that the character reveal is Leon

Im sorry but, you have just lost 50 internet dollars. Have a nice day. *yes, 100 people probably told you this*

Anyway, I thought it was a pretty fun movie to watch. It only goes for 90 minutes and yes, had a pretty good character reveal at the end (played all RE games so far). If they happen to make a new one, I wish them all the best.

Well, I liked the third one... and if this one isn't any worse (and slightly better) I guess it can't be that bad, i'll check it out on a weekend or something.

Deathfyre:

Kinguendo:

The Ambrosian:

Or Tofu.

Having Chris in it isn't that surprising, they've already got Claire, so Chris couldn't have been far behind

Hmm, except these films arent related to the games and this one isnt even like CODE: Veronica AND even if the films were like the games Chris wouldnt have appeared in the movie after Claires first appearance so no... Chris' appearance could easily have been far behind if at all. Going by what has happened with the characters and the plot so far Billy Coen was more likely to make an appearance than Chris was, which would have been cool because Billy Coen rocks.

JWRosser:
I'm staying optimistic...
Leon as the secret character would be awesome although in this twisted Alice run universe he is dead...

Wait what? When is that revealed? It wasnt in the first three was it? I feel I would have picked up on that. So far Leon is the best trained of all the characters with the most natural survival skills (except maybe Billy Coen but mainly because all you know of his past was that he was a Marine), seems unlikely he would be dead before even making a single appearance out of all the people... especially Claire.

I don't think I'll be seeing this, these movies have duped me enough. I keep hoping the next one will be good and it isn't. In the hands of a more competent writer and director, the Resident Evil movies could actually be interesting suspense/horror movies.

Instead we get bad B action movies. Awesome. I think I've finally gotten the hint and will keep my money this time.

I don't get why people get their panties in such a bunch over 3D. If it makes you feel ill or if you're an obnoxious, anti-conformist hipster who doesn't like it because it's too popular and "mainstream", just go see it in 2D. Most theatres have two separate showings.

The only reason, and i mean ONLY reason, i hate 3d is that I WEAR GLASSES.

When they invent a way for people to see 3d things without the damed glasses, ill be there with the rest of em.

How is Avatar 3d good at all again? I saw it in 3d and it just made things like like 2d lairs in something like After Effects that were spaced apart a little. It didn't seem very 3d to me.

Dude. I love your reviews but I've still enjoyed the movies basically because I haven't the games but this movie looks pretty good. I don't really like the whole 3D thing though.

No no no Movie Bob. You got it all backwards. The first Resident Evil was awesome. It was perfectly paced, wonderfully atmospheric, and by far the best of all three. Each movie since was worse than the last, and 3D makes everything worse.

I'm betting the reveal is Barry Burton lol...

Well parents are going to see this movie tonight in all it's 3D glory. I don't have any tickets bucked for me because my parents a cheap bastards I couldn't afford it. So I'll have to wait while they get home to see if it was any good.

I honestly enjoy the Res Evil films. I find them guilty pleasures. I honestly preferred the second film. Hey, say what you want about how bad it is... However do take note that it was the only film I've seen so far that had at least something to do with the game. Seemed a mix of Res Evil 2 and 3 mixed together but well at least it did have something to do with them. The rest of the movies could be renamed "Mila Jovich(or however you spell it): Zombie Slayer" and it wouldn't make a difference. Without the title on the DVD case... I'd never link the rest of the films to Resident Evil.

I do wish some one would reboot the franchise to having some thing to do with the games however I doubt even a reboot would work. I think these games only really work as games. The story in the games are laughably bad but it sort of works on a video game level. The dialogue in the games is also corny as hell but again it works. The games are however extremely scary (Well the earlier games) but this again only works in the game. You know in a film that the main character isn't going to die and we know that they will get out of the situation. In the game however, it's up to you. There's a lot of tension in the games, you can often be surrounded by zombies and you have to make the difficult decision of whether or not to use ammo or just leg it. Ammo is scarce and on a video game level filled with zombies... That's scary. On film, not really... You know the main character will find a way out of the situation regardless of ammo. Along with the fact that ammo doesn't run out in most films.

Damned with faint praise. Judging a movie to be o.k, not good or bad, is like giving it the kiss of death. If it weren't for Milla Jovovich I would skip this one.

Lets play spot the inconsistencies. (warning, spoilers)

1) Why is umbrella's post-apocalyptic world hide out bunker in japan? I suppose another movie would explain this, but I'm not really sure I want to see it.

2) How does Alice survive a plane crash after having her T-cells neutralized?

3) Relating to the previous question, why didn't she use her powers then if the effects were only temporary? Is there a vaccine union, and the anti-bodies decided to go on strike right before the plane crashed?

4) How does a blunderbuss work after being submerged in water? (if anyone tells me it's not, what other kind of gun fires QUARTERS)

5) How does Wesker get out of room they locked him in? Is the door powered by magic?

Before you say anything, don't tell me it's because I can't suspend my disbelief. I'm completely chill with super-virally enhanced mutants fighting each other with psychic powers and bullet time, but since when has the T-virus suddenly gained the power to banish logic to the netherworld. I'm not a fan boy, and I've never even played the resident evil games. This movie sucks. I thought slow motion combat died out with the last matrix movie. The gun fights are bland repetitive mow downs, and the plot is full holes.

Oh, bob, you can take that high horse bull and stick it where the sun don't shine.

Man i was dreading watching this review, and now that i did... i'm still dreading the fact that my brother is gonna drag me to it

Interesting... I would say I think the complete opposite of the first 3 movies. I liked the first one the best, and thought the third one was horrible.

Actually, the thing I liked the best about the first movie was the musical score. Something about it just amplified the atmosphere of the movie a whole bunch. It was a fairly mediocre movie, but the soundtrack just worked so well with it, at least for me.

oh common, i liked the fps metroid games. it was very immersive. i once played for so long that when finally stopped, i had a massive headache, and still felt like i was moving side-to-side, front-to-back like the screen (which may have less to do with the game being immersive and more to do with me playing it for longer than was healthy, but MEH). and then i had the compulsive urge to scan things for the longest time.....

im definitely open to other m' play style, i just still think fps was very good.

(yeah, i dont even really care about the movie)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here