Escape to the Movies: Resident Evil: Afterlife

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Don't say that! They might actually listen to you and make twelve more movies!

Bob, is there something you have against the first-person perspective? Because if you're saying that Other M was better than the Primes, you might have an issue.

Looks awesome but I'll pass... looks too ambitious.

I don't see the incline.

Don't know about the last one yet, but I thought the 3rd movie was worse than the first one.

internetzealot1:
Bob, is there something you have against the first-person perspective? Because if you're saying that Other M was better than the Primes, you might have an issue.

It was certainly better than SOME of the Primes. Echoes, for example, was a mess, and Hunters is still ranked dead last out of all the Metroid games. True, the original Prime was a masterpiece and far surpasses Other M, rivaling Super Metroid for best Metroid game, but I'd say Other M is at least as good as Corruption. Also, we've had nothing but FPS Metroids for quite a while now, it would be nice to get a different kind of Metroid game for a little while lest it become stale.

internetzealot1:

Maybe he just didn't notice they transformed Samus into a co-dependant mess who won't use her weapons until her boyfreind says it ok for her to. Other-M has some of the worst characterisation i have ever seen in any medium. It RUINS samus as a character and has some pretty horrible control issues to boot. The game was flat out bad in some respects.

On the front of the RE films, it's sad that people have to turn to these terrible movies for their mid-budget action fix. There needs to be more competantly made action that isn't on a MEGA budget. The only recent example i can think of is Predators. Predators was a GOOD movie. It's the kind of thing there needs to me MORE of, an solid and well built action movie that dosen't have to go to no.1 at the box office to turn a decent profit.

Scrumpmonkey:
Maybe he just didn't notice they transformed Samus into a co-dependant mess who won't use her weapons until her boyfreind says it ok for her to. Other-M has some of the worst characterisation i have ever seen in any medium. It RUINS samus as a character and has some pretty horrible control issues to boot.

Fail. Fail to understand the meaning of the word co-dependent. Fail to understand the relationship between Samus and Adam (hint: unless you live in a area where dating your step-father is common, there's no reason to think he's her boyfriend). Fail at understanding how the military works. Fail to be good at video games. You just plain fail.

EDIT: Wanted to take issue with your assessment of 'worst characterization ever', but I'm too tired to word it correctly. Suffice to say you fail there too, and clearly haven't been witness to very many video games/movies/television shows/books/works of fiction of any kind if hers is the worst you've ever seen.

By god must he disrespect the games so?

Hubilub:
I'm just going to let the fact that Movie Bob told me to get off my high horse slide for today.

I'm completely opposite to his views on the Resident Evil films though. I thought the first one was the best, and then it degraded into worse quality.

That said, he's right about none of them actually being all that good. The first one was passable, the second one couldn't figure out if it wanted to be scary or action packed, the third one was awful, and the forth one looks like it's going to be worse, from the shitty premise to the throwing-things-in-your-face 3D that I hate.

I agree, the sheer amount of things being rown at the screen seen just in this review prove that 3rd is really nothing more than a gimmick. Plus it's bad film making in my opinin becuase it means that any one seeing it in 2d will be drawn out of the experience because of all of these weird shots of things flying at the screen. If you're adding these shots purely to justify the 3d then don't bother, find another way to entertain your audience without gimmicks. You could I dunno, write a better script, cast better actors, invent a better plot, film better set pieces. The film just looks really lazy, nearly every single scene I'm looking at it and thinking that's from resident evil outbreak, thats from resi 5, thats from the matrix, thats from so on. The same problem with Terminator Salvation.

yeah, thankyou... please stop hating 3D just because all the cool kids are doing it!

so yeah... it gives some people headaches, thus they think it falls to them to 'protect' EVERYBODY from this terrible 'affliction'

yes, people see the effect to varying degrees, some not at all. you know who else doesn't see the effect at all? BLIND PEOPLE! perhaps they should be up in arms that the studios keep pushing this gimmicky 'video' thing on all of us.

more importantly, I'm not aware of anyone forcing you to see stuff in 3D (they still show 2D versions right?)

and they have a hard sell anyway... its not like it's something they are sneaking in on us. EVERYBODY has just gone out and bought a new fancy flat pannel HD tv, people NEVER buy tvs anyway, not until their old one breaks, so the shop keeper is going to go "but this does THREE DEE!!" and they are going to go "so? show me!" and if they don't like it, they won't buy it. and besides, its not like this current focus on 3D is distracting hollywood from making good movies. they've been making terrible movies for ages (maybe something better you should be complaining about) and, in fact, 3D actually pulled James Cameron out of hiding to make one of the BEST movies in a while... so its not all bad.

Gizen:

Scrumpmonkey:
Maybe he just didn't notice they transformed Samus into a co-dependant mess who won't use her weapons until her boyfreind says it ok for her to. Other-M has some of the worst characterisation i have ever seen in any medium. It RUINS samus as a character and has some pretty horrible control issues to boot.

Fail. Fail to understand the meaning of the word co-dependent. Fail to understand the relationship between Samus and Adam (hint: unless you live in a area where dating your step-father is common, there's no reason to think he's her boyfriend). Fail at understanding how the military works. Fail to be good at video games. You just plain fail.

EDIT: Wanted to take issue with your assessment of 'worst characterization ever', but I'm too tired to word it correctly. Suffice to say you fail there too, and clearly haven't been witness to very many video games/movies/television shows/books/works of fiction of any kind if hers is the worst you've ever seen.

Perhaps you should look up the word "Flame" before replying. That way you wouldn't fail to follow the TOS.

i was expecting this to be the way around but whatever!

I agree with MovieBob, the movies are getting better but they have a long way to go. Let's just hope Afterlife isn't a step backward.

I liked the Resident Evil movies. Maybe not high art, but at least they were entertaining. Definitely much better than The Expendables and plenty other half baked movies from Hollywood.

The 3d fad is irrelevant. Anything that comes in 3d will also come in 2d, so pirates won't care either.

LawlessSquirrel:
Huh...guess I'm the only one that enjoyed #1 more than #2.

Nope, you're not the only one. The whole 'God Mode Mary Sue' Alice that the second and third films had destroyed any dramatic tension and turned every supporting character into Alice's cheerleader, this kinda made them unbearable to me.

People are so stupid. All 3 RE were good and Afterlife is good too. None of them were boring or rubbish, and it's a good thing that they have almost nothing to do with the games. You wouldn't want a film that's identical to game would you? If so, you're dumb.

Kinguendo:

JWRosser:
I'm staying optimistic...
Leon as the secret character would be awesome although in this twisted Alice run universe he is dead...

Wait what? When is that revealed? It wasnt in the first three was it? I feel I would have picked up on that. So far Leon is the best trained of all the characters with the most natural survival skills (except maybe Billy Coen but mainly because all you know of his past was that he was a Marine), seems unlikely he would be dead before even making a single appearance out of all the people... especially Claire.

In the second film near the beginning, just before Jill is introduced, the camera pans across the city and you see a newspaper article that says something along the lines of "Agent Jill Valentine is still grieving over the loss of her partner, Leon Kennedy"
Despite the fact they never worked together and he has the S initial in his name but hey...who knows what this means.
Claire was ruined by the film. SHE IS NOT A BADASS

I actually really liked the film, it was a good action film and 3D in it was AWESOME. Everything seemed to work well and it was a well paced movie, i liked the how they ended it, no stupid and long dragged out ending, it was a great film :D definatly worth the watch!

I thought the second was the best and the third was the worst. So I don't hold out much hope for this.

Also. I thought it was a given that these films were working in tandem with at-least the core 4 RE games. Especially with the introduction of Nemesis and Jill. Sure they screwed up the 3rd (and only good RE games) story by doing that. But it only seemed obvious to me that the films were stories that happened within the games time-line but didn't actively play a role in them.

Either that or they are a re telling of the events in between the games. Like a re envisioning.

Reveal is:

Agreed. I really liked the last two. First one did suck, tho. Seeing it later on today! Glad to hear it's better than the others or at least just as good, thanks.

So I wasn't the only one who thought the big guy in RE:A looked ridiculous, to be more precise, a lot like Iron Maiden's Eddy the Head?

And, for good measure I just mentally inserted a Jill Sandwich joke, couldn't help it...

dathwampeer:

Also. I thought it was a given that these films were working in tandem with at-least the core 4 RE games. Especially with the introduction of Nemesis and Jill. Sure they screwed up the 3rd (and only good RE games) story by doing that. But it only seemed obvious to me that the films were stories that happened within the games time-line but didn't actively play a role in them.

Either that or they are a re telling of the events in between the games. Like a re envisioning.

They're just making new stories with the same characters and original idea.

bawkbawkboo1:
Wow, you shamelessly stole that "Umbrella Corporation leaders are like Captian Planet villains" joke from Yahtzee.

It was intentional.... He .. uhh... wanted you to catch it ... ya know... cuz it's lyk a funneh reference... >.>

MovieBob, you are not a game critic, despite being on the escapist. So, though I love your movie reviews, please don't make comments like 'a game that recieved 90+% from almost every credible reviewer and is called by the head editor of IGN "the Citizen Kane of gaming," is worse than some new nostalgia ripoff made by people who don't understand why controllers currently have more than 3 buttons and use analog sticks.' You're not Yahtzee.

Hehe, yeah first time I can remember Bob Saying "Not good movies guys... but keep it up, you'll get it"

That said. The series is B in a pretty fundamental sense. Using 3d is fine and all but "IT"S COMING RIGHT FOR YA" 3D Pulls everyone out of the movie, save maybe your grandmother who still yells at the bitch characters on the TV in her soap opera. That said I'm certainly not on a high horse about 3D. I really like a good 3D effect but games are easy, just give me better depth judgement. Movies are a bit trickier to keep it from looking like "HAI GUYS CHEK OUT MAH 3DS!"

I just saw it, and I thought it was downright epic. It definitely wasn't deep, but it was really exciting. It had a videogamey feel to it that reminded me a lot of Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World. This is the first 3D movie that I've ever liked and was worth the headaches. The characters seemed to think in the back of their heads that they were in a videogame. I thought the action was done awesomely, and I'm going to see it again.

Hubilub:

I'm completely opposite to his views on the Resident Evil films though. I thought the first one was the best, and then it degraded into worse quality.

That said, he's right about none of them actually being all that good. The first one was passable, the second one couldn't figure out if it wanted to be scary or action packed, the third one was awful, and the forth one looks like it's going to be worse, from the shitty premise to the throwing-things-in-your-face 3D that I hate.

Believe it or not the throwing 3D stuff in your face actually worked pretty well (I almost went out of my way to see this movie in 2D). I disagree with a lot of what you said though, so maybe you shouldn't take my word for it.

A fair review. I'm not going to see it, but it gave me the context I'll need should someone start talking to me about it.

Saw it yesterday.

Wasn't half bad, I liked it.

Wanted more of Wesker kicking ass though.

No.. 3D is a stupid gimmick that works in 2 out of every 10 movies. It should have stayed dead with "sensurround"

off topic but i loved the monkey island screen

My buddy wanted me to see this with him today, so last night we had a movie marathon watching the first three.

And you know what? I kind of liked them! Sure, they're kind of generic and silly, but they were enjoyable and they had your moments. We then went and saw Afterlife earlier today, and it was my favorite out of all them. There are certainly worse ways to spend your money.

Great? No. Enjoyable? Yes.

Mr. Moviebob, i'm dissapointed. Not saying this serie of movies is an ugly, disgusting, sick piece of s**t was pretty harmfull for the high respect i have to your taste, but well, i can't judge anyone. Pretty enjoyable anyway.

Oh, and maybe the resident evil (videogame) story is silly, but is pretty enjoyable and have some charisma. The movies are just empty. And yeah... i know.. i'm a fanman (i will never call me boy. You loose that right after the 20s)

Well, keep working. You are doing good.

You know... I never liked these movies... maybe I'll go see them in the future when they're good.

I'm sorry i had to laugh when you said "3D sometimes makes a movie better." Twice... Its made a movie better twice & made it significantly worse how many times? 3D needs to die a horrible death, not to be revamped until the technology actually works & works for everyone... One of my eyes is stronger then the other, so i'm pretty much fucked when it comes to 3D movies... I literally can't see the 3D.

-M

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 50918)