Neverwinter Attempts To Recreate D&D

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Neverwinter Attempts To Recreate D&D

Jack Emmert from Cryptic tells us what the difference is between a cooperative online RPG like Neverwinter and the MMOs the company has produced in the past.

Read Full Article

Well, automatically, 4th edition D&D is essentially pen and paper version of an "MMO". Magic users no longer have to conserve their magic with their "at-will" powers.

It'll be interesting to see, but we're still a long ways away from seeing much of anything

I... don't know. You'll have to look hard to find a bigger fan of the Neverwinter Nights series than me, but I really, really, really, doubt it can work in multiplayer. Seems like they're trying to do what Storm of Zehir's already proven is a bad idea.

Edit:

maddog015:
Well, automatically, 4th edition D&D is essentially pen and paper version of an "MMO". Magic users no longer have to conserve their magic with their "at-will" powers.

Well, yeah, but that only really affects the combat. I think I, personally, having never actually experienced fourth edition D&D beyond skimming through the core books, think that it's probably a better system to have in a CRPG.

But what this game does is try to make 2-5 sweaty nerds cooperate in an RPG over the internet, and frankly I doubt that can be done. It might be doable with a DM. But probably not.

Another MMO by Cryptic that will blow chunks, what a waste of a good franchise.

The idea looks really interesting, like everything Cryptic does. I don't know if it'll be good but I'm definitely curious to know more.

I have an excitement for game. Much happy it make me to be. I will playing be this game soon as is come out.

Sounds pretty interesting. Hope it'll come out good.
Heh, seeing the d20 on the picture, i instinctively wanted to take it and roll it...I'm such a nerd.

Better get your wallets ready for the races, classes, and ships... err... I mean... magic spells... that will be sold to you post launch.

whiskey echo!!
mythgraven

Hmm Cryptic, didn't they make that junk star trek mmo (about 10 years too late)?

Oh well at least Bill Roper isn't there to ruin DnD....

I'm scared about what they might do to Neverwinter...

But excited for the possibilities.

Will just have to wait and see :)

i was kind of young for d&d i know the concept but it takes alot of work to get it set up,
you got to teach everyone the rules buy a set or rule book what ever it sounds fun(its a bit nerdy anyway) and i think this is a good idea though.i play risk and poker regulary with my friends so i will just stick to that

maddog015:

That's my main problem with 4th, they removed attrition. There no reason ever to not go balls to the wall every fight and not worry about resources. Spam all your cheesy attacks you spam every combat without regards as to what the next encounter might entail.

Attrition is a tool the DM uses to gauges how difficult each encounter should be and how it's paced. Ideally by the boss fight the players should be down to 30% of the resources.

Really, though, I doubt any game will ever come even close to D&D. It's not about combat. You get combat in any number of games. Same with puzzles. It's about creating and exploring a world. It's about interacting with characters. It's about finding creative solutions to problems giving limited, but widely applicable resources. It's about that stupid expression on the DM's face when he realizes that you just found a solution he never expected.

None of that works on a computer.

tehroc:

maddog015:

That's my main problem with 4th, they removed attrition. There no reason ever to not go balls to the wall every fight and not worry about resources. Spam all your cheesy attacks you spam every combat without regards as to what the next encounter might entail.

Attrition is a tool the DM uses to gauges how difficult each encounter should be and how it's paced. Ideally by the boss fight the players should be down to 30% of the resources.

Maybe your DM just sucks balls? Ever thought of that? DM's CAN do things that force the players into expending Dailies and making encounters where you gauge the party's strength by their at wills and Encounters and not by the basic attack. If a player is kicking ass, give them enemies that have really high- whatever defense their attacks target most. Grab the enemies that have resistances. Use the monster's cheesy attacks. Attack their lowest defense. Throw in traps. Make the players work really hard every encounter. It's not hard. I think it makes a campaign more epic when I have to use every encounter I have plus a Daily then find out the party can't stop and rest even fve minutes so no powers come back. But seriously, if you think at wills are cheesy, make your encounters specifically tuned to make those at wills desperately needed.

On topic, this game sounds like it's going to suck. I feel sorry for the IP.

WoW already captures the experience of playing 4th Edition dnd.

Hey Greg, I'm gonna apologize ahead of time for sounding like a dick, but having played Neverwinter Nights as well as Pen and Paper D&D for a while...

Article:

To my knowledge, it will be the first game to use these new rules; both Dungeons & Dragons Online and Neverwinter Nights were firmly ensconced in edition 3.5 of D&D.

Neverwinter Nights 1 used 3.0 rather than 3.5 (Trying to recall if they might have borrowed a couple features from 3.5 when it was in beta, but I digress).

otherwise, good article!

Plurralbles:

tehroc:

maddog015:

Maybe your DM just sucks balls? Ever thought of that? DM's CAN do things that force the players into expending Dailies and making encounters where you gauge the party's strength by their at wills and Encounters and not by the basic attack. If a player is kicking ass, give them enemies that have really high- whatever defense their attacks target most. Grab the enemies that have resistances. Use the monster's cheesy attacks. Attack their lowest defense. Throw in traps. Make the players work really hard every encounter. It's not hard. I think it makes a campaign more epic when I have to use every encounter I have plus a Daily then find out the party can't stop and rest even fve minutes so no powers come back. But seriously, if you think at wills are cheesy, make your encounters specifically tuned to make those at wills desperately needed.

Or, we will just continue to play 3.5e like we always do, considering the group has hundreds of dollars invested in it. If I wanna give WOTC anymore of my money, I'd rather spend it on MTG.

tehroc:

Plurralbles:

tehroc:

maddog015:

Or, we will just continue to play 3.5e like we always do, considering the group has hundreds of dollars invested in it. If I wanna give WOTC anymore of my money, I'd rather spend it on MTG.

Fair enough.

"Technologically, the game will work and look very much the same way that Cryptic's MMOs do. "It's the same engine for Champions Online, Star Trek, Neverwinter and every other product that we do," Emmert said."

I was hopeful until this quote from the article. I don't see how this game is going to be anything other than an atrocious reskin of their generic game engine...as a fan of 4th ed. D&D I was really hoping for something good with a close emulation of the game in a manner consistent with how NWN 1 and 2 emulated 3.0 and 3.5 respectively.....but....nope. Anyone who is familiar with the Champions pen and paper game and has tried the MMO will know what I mean. Ah well, at least there's DDO.

lomylithruldor:
The idea looks really interesting, like everything Cryptic does. I don't know if it'll be good but I'm definitely curious to know more.

indeed..
though i'm a bit scared/annoyed that they use the same engine as CO and STO.. to me that isn't really a good sign. I mean while the engine worked out for CO's cartoony super heroing
but in my minds eye the look that i've seen the CO/STO engine produce just doesn't fit with NWN characters..

Meh, Forgotten Realms is so overdone. Advancing it 100 years seems like just a new way to beat that old, dead horse. Base a game in Krynn, Eberron or somewhere else.

One side to D&D's success is the social side of it. The abilty to take 3-4 of your friends and make a vast world created by you. If they could make each and every action has a serious consequence/reaction then I think I may need to get this.

Ha, so 4th Ed IS becoming an MMO. I mean that's what the rules were based off of anyways.

But do they really have to use their inhouse engine? It's rather crappish and generic and now they're setting it in 4th's Forgotten Realms: a setting the feels like the writers got hit on the head and forgot it wasn't Eberron. They ruin all of the fluff and story of the setting, conveniently forget most of the history, and then sell it as a post-apocalyptic campaign world.

I just have this sneaky feeling that this is just gonna be another "DLC" style cash-in, only this time you have to buy most of the "modules"

As long as it ain't anything like NwN 2 it will probably be good. -100% of the loadscreens and more bigger areas with content in it then thousands of small ones gg.

What is this 'space ship' of which you speak? Bah, I have no time for this, I must confront the Negoi before they can escape with the captured slaves they have loaded in thier spelljammer.

I wonder if they noticed that people create their own worlds on NwN1 / 2 for the online play and don't just add the most pointless of crap to the campaign. Not even allowed to add NPCs? Hurr.

Missed the point. 4E. 4E Forgotten Realms. GG Cryptic.

I like Champions Online. It wasn't the greatest MMO, but it was a likeable one. Main problem was the core rule set totally screwed up balance and Cryptics attitudes was "hey you are superheroes so what does balance have to do with that?" If they are coding in D&D rules, that solves that problem. The closer they stick to D&D the better.

Otherwise, Cryptic will probably tend to skew things on the easy side, but with good visual flair. Unless this really, really sucks it looks like a buy for me.

Kenko:
Another MMO by Cryptic that will blow chunks, what a waste of a good franchise.

If by MMO you mean Co-operative game... Like Left 4 Dead or Boarderlands

maddog015:

Look beyond those into the encounter and daily powers. Also, several "rituals" (I.E. non-combat utility spells) cost Healing Surges, which will reduce the amount of times you can receive healing magic in a day.

ravensshade:

lomylithruldor:

indeed..
though i'm a bit scared/annoyed that they use the same engine as CO and STO.. to me that isn't really a good sign. I mean while the engine worked out for CO's cartoony super heroing
but in my minds eye the look that i've seen the CO/STO engine produce just doesn't fit with NWN characters..

Well, when you develop an engine, you better make the most out of it I think.

Gears of war, The last remnant and Arkham Asylum all use the unreal engine 3. They each have very different look, style and gameplay. Maybe their engine is not as versatile, but they can always modify it since it's in-house.

Why does there always have to be a plague? Plus, I don't really like the 4th D&D edition. I still think it's going to be something too similar to Dungeons & Dragons Online with only a speck of innovation. All the sweet ideas of players writing their own stories and the location generators and stuff will all end up dead once the first players get to high levels and forget about the storyline, the novelties, the plot etc. and decide to sacrifice them for the everlasting prosperity of PvP and babbling over who has the more bonuses. IMHO, that's the destiny of ANY online game, whether it's said to be a "revolutionary MMORPG that will blow your mind with the new opportunities and graphics supporting the 342nd shaders, DirectX 1500 and bloom" or "the game that allows you to get together with your friends and have a wonderful time exploring our wonderful new world while creating your own story that will forevermore be sung about by bards of Qwertia and recorded in the Whoopston Chronicles".

meh Iīll give it one of those 7-10 days trial, doubt it be fun, plus itīs hard toping Guild Wars 2 being "buy the game, pay no monthly fee"

Ah, so it's an MMO then.

No, it's an online-based co-op game. It's sounds like it has more of a single-player story feel than an MMO.

Also, I look forward to an interpretation of the 4E rules.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here