Preview: Civilization V

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Awesome review supplement. :-)
I remember playing the older Civilization games for hours on end. Hmm... might be time to look into the series again.

I hope my ancient PC will play this game, it's high on my list of game purchases for this year.

Booze Zombie:
This sounds like one hell of a lot of fun, I shall be honest.
I hope I don't end up getting in character, though... it might be awkward.

Awkward? Yes. Fun? Of course. I am not Kajt, I am Napoleon! Now bow before my might or get crushed by my ICBMs!

You know, I was already pyshiced for this game, but now I'm super pyschied!

Wandrecanada:
Civ 5 seems to take what was good from Civ 4 and Civ Rev to make the ultimate Civ game. I'm incredibly excited for this title.

Thanks for the preview Escapist!

Well, not just Civ 4 and Rev - they also seem to have taken the graphical style from those wargames. Will be interested to see how it looks on my screen, heh. Should be awesome.

Winning a game by diplomacy doesn't sound like too much fun. There is nothing like crushing your foes on the battlefield and sacking cities!

Man, I wasn't really excited for Civ 5 before, but now I am! Besides, what else would that money be used for? Food!?
Also, I loved the writing style you used on this preview; it was really interesting and a nice counterpoint to Russ Pitts' preview from a while ago. I hope for more previews like this one!

This is what's great about CIV all this is going on in your head whilst you play...

I LOVE CIV

I want to buy this now and I very well might.

laryri:

Chunko:
I can't wait to play this game, I hope it's better than the console version of civ 4 though.

What? The PC version will be better than the console version of Civ 4 if that's what you're saying. There probably isn't going to be a console version of Civ 5.

I know, I'm going to play the game when it's 5 years in the future. (I can't wait till it's 5 years in the future)

Damm!
Why wont Civ 4 work anymore!

Wait it comes out soon! If theres a demo Ill try it to see if it runs.Then I might get it for christmas or something.

aldowyn:
Best. Preview. EVER!

Seriously, you should role-play more previews like this, because that was awesome!

That.

I LOVED this preview, the game looks amazing.

I want to play now :(

cant wait for this!!!

I loved the option in the victory screen for "Wait... Just... One... More... Turn..." Classic stuff.

I will definitely get this game one day, but I'm currently running a PC that has some issues with Civ 4 - it's not very system intensive but I still have to run it on low settings. It'll just have to go on my list of "Games to buy when I get a better PC"

This just makes me want it more!!

Stuff civilization, I want a Rise of Nations re-make!

I'll kind of miss Leonard Nimoy

Less storytelling, more gameplay descriptions

dammit, reading this & seeing it's on pre-order offer on Amazon I just went & reserved a copy. Damn you, Escapist! Now I'm going to be waiting with increasing anxiousness for the next 13 days :'(

You allied with Oslo? :D

Excellent! Looks like I might buy this one.

Civilization Revolution is starting to get a little old!

AC10:
I'll kind of miss Leonard Nimoy

I loved him in Civ 4 voiceovers. Especially the Sputnik quote. Beep... beep... beep...

I've never liked the Civ series, mainly due to the issues with combat. That and just how slow the game is on the whole.

This preview still got me interested in giving it another chance to win me over. I'll probably resist picking it up, but it was a persuasive preview all the same. I approve.

I do hope Civ 5 has a demo. I love me some demos, yes I do.

Isn't it like 13 days to release?

Let the countdown begin!

*edit: I also with they could get Leonard Nimoy back for narration.

Damn now I really want to play this. 10 days is to long to wait.

Yeah, well let's see you play it on a hard difficulty setting where the computer gets to cheat.

Funny how the UN means world peace in the game, but not in real life. Also, I kind of wish they had designed monuments and landmarks that matched the nation. It just seems weird to me that the mighty Iroquois nation would build THE statue of liberty or THE Eiffel Tower. Or Stonehenge. Shouldn't they have their own unique structures and design?

I haven't played a Civilzation since part 3... and that was like 7 years ago or such... maybe I'll play this

rsvp42:
Funny how the UN means world peace in the game, but not in real life. Also, I kind of wish they had designed monuments and landmarks that matched the nation. It just seems weird to me that the mighty Iroquois nation would build THE statue of liberty or THE Eiffel Tower. Or Stonehenge. Shouldn't they have their own unique structures and design?

That would be cool if they could actually come up with something believable for each, although it wouldn't have the same impact if the Celts had Stonehenge and the Iriquois only had a generic stone pile...and considering that each game is unique, coming up with a universal reason for each would seem near impossible. I mean, The Statue of Liberty was a gift from the French built for a specific event, how do you have an Iriquois version when you can build it at various times for no in-game reason?

An alternate system which could be cool is if you didn't build specific wonders, but instead you could focus resources to "Monuments", and it would lead to generating a monument unique to your culture and era (Egyptians build Pyramids, Celts build Stonehenge etc) and get a random benefit to represent the unpredictable nature of monument building.

That was so awesome! I want more reviews like that ^_^

CIV 5 should be awesome... but then the publisher decided to butcher the game in a dozen DLCs and sell them separately to make more money. There's an uprising on Steam.

I like how the leaders have unique palace backgrounds. I hope they pick some contraversial historical figures. Come on, Hitler...

ArmorArmadillo:

rsvp42:

That would be cool if they could actually come up with something believable for each, although it wouldn't have the same impact if the Celts had Stonehenge and the Iriquois only had a generic stone pile...and considering that each game is unique, coming up with a universal reason for each would seem near impossible. I mean, The Statue of Liberty was a gift from the French built for a specific event, how do you have an Iriquois version when you can build it at various times for no in-game reason?

An alternate system which could be cool is if you didn't build specific wonders, but instead you could focus resources to "Monuments", and it would lead to generating a monument unique to your culture and era (Egyptians build Pyramids, Celts build Stonehenge etc) and get a random benefit to represent the unpredictable nature of monument building.

Yeah something like that would be nice. What I love about this game's idea is that it allows you to take a particular culture in history and direct its course in ways that have never been seen (because the culture died out, was conquered, etc). I absolutely love the idea of a Native American tribe ending up as a world power, having an industrial revolution and all that. It's a cool idea. I saw a screenshot from a game like this where ancient Egypt had survived with all its architecture and design sensibility into like, the future or something. Maybe it was a Civilization game? Either way, that idea is more appealing to me. Egyptians should have cool statues, pyramids, and obelisks. Native American tribes could have epic totem poles or some big altar to a wind spirit.

But then again, art and design are a big thing for me. I'm sure the gameplay itself will be fun and engaging.

It looks better than Civ iv significantly.Hmm. Will need to get.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 64770)